Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Larger companies will be mad after Pantheon is released :)

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    If it gets to be successful it will get made to profit shareholders. EA, Blizard etc were once good companies until they changed their focus from gamers to investors. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Except one really big flaw in critiquing games and success.

Wow was a Blizzard crowd and tons of new online kids.EQ franchise was the industry standard and EQ2 advanced it even further with better graphics.There is nothing either would do today that would be industry standard,i would expect Blizzard to as usual be behind the times and well SOE is no longer and Smedley is no longer.

On the topic of broken again it is not about that.This is not Blizzard,this is not Everquest and this is not 10 years ago.Those ideas imo were never that good,it was not THOSE ideas that sold their games nor was it the reason they remained popular.Geesh i would bet anything that if Wow had the same red carpet system as FFXIV/WS it would have been the same exact success.

Those original ideas were imo not good,they were SIMPLE ideas to support simple reasons,have class have loot have levels,great lets call it a mmorpg and sell it.Blizzard went as they always do using their old IP brand and SOE ahd a nice catchy title in Everquest.

Biggest flaws ?there are several...
    1 clustered mobs on same Ai
    2 single aggro systems bound by proximity
    3 Altaholic classes.
    4 Tiered  gear,this made it simple for them but also made the gear shallow minded.
    5 Food effects "in combat only" is ridiculous and not even plausible.
    6 Linear questing as in EQ2/Wow  but really Brad was not apart of this ,he was more in tune with EQ1 grouping which i good with,just not those clustered encounters on the same Ai they seem to rehash with each game.

There are tons more little things they should improve on,i run into them all through the games as i move from area to area ,i see bad game ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Wizardry said:

If Everquest 1&2 and Vanilla World of Warcraft were JUST INVENTED today with modern graphics and technologies we have today, they would excel well beyond its competition.

I may be wrong here but if those games were just invented today with modern graphics the would fail. They were "good" when they launched because there was nothing else to compare them to so they were innovative, shiny, and mind blowing back then.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Apart from all the guessing, prediction ect.

I really DO HOPE that Pantheon will be a game that DOES make larger companies reconsider their approach. Nothing more, nothing less. I simply hope it will do that. I would be pretty pleased.

Why? Because there is nothing great to play nowadays if it comes to the MMO front. I am a die hard MMO gamer and i did not play any MMO for more then 9 days at a time since... well... 5 years? I try them all and i hate them all. I always go back to P99. Give me a game from 99 with updated grafics, ill be fine. :-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I really DO HOPE that Pantheon will be a game that DOES make larger companies reconsider their approach. Nothing more, nothing less. I simply hope it will do that. I would be pretty pleased.

Why? Because there is nothing great to play nowadays if it comes to the MMO front. I am a die hard MMO gamer and i did not play any MMO for more then 9 days at a time since... well... 5 years? I try them all and i hate them all. I always go back to P99. Give me a game from 99 with updated grafics, ill be fine. :-)

9 days........I gave them about 30 +/-

My best thing about video games ( non-mmos ) is learning the classes builds and the world itself.  After that, well they just get boring.

So that's what mmos have been for the last 5 years JUST VIDEO GAMES with others around me. That's why I only get 30 +/-.......Now I find single player games better and deeper.

Soooooo, lets get a real mmo, one that last for years. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Wizardry said:
    Except one really big flaw in critiquing games and success.

Wow was a Blizzard crowd and tons of new online kids.EQ franchise was the industry standard and EQ2 advanced it even further with better graphics.There is nothing either would do today that would be industry standard,i would expect Blizzard to as usual be behind the times and well SOE is no longer and Smedley is no longer.

On the topic of broken again it is not about that.This is not Blizzard,this is not Everquest and this is not 10 years ago.Those ideas imo were never that good,it was not THOSE ideas that sold their games nor was it the reason they remained popular.Geesh i would bet anything that if Wow had the same red carpet system as FFXIV/WS it would have been the same exact success.

Those original ideas were imo not good,they were SIMPLE ideas to support simple reasons,have class have loot have levels,great lets call it a mmorpg and sell it.Blizzard went as they always do using their old IP brand and SOE ahd a nice catchy title in Everquest.

Biggest flaws ?there are several...
    1 clustered mobs on same Ai
    2 single aggro systems bound by proximity
    3 Altaholic classes.
    4 Tiered  gear,this made it simple for them but also made the gear shallow minded.
    5 Food effects "in combat only" is ridiculous and not even plausible.
    6 Linear questing as in EQ2/Wow  but really Brad was not apart of this ,he was more in tune with EQ1 grouping which i good with,just not those clustered encounters on the same Ai they seem to rehash with each game.

There are tons more little things they should improve on,i run into them all through the games as i move from area to area ,i see bad game ideas.

There are some truths here, like the fact that EQ was not successful simply because of its hardcore mechanics. There wasn't a whole lot of options, so if EQ would have been an easier game ala WoW, it may have have drawn a crowd just as big. However, people who played EQ loved the harder styled, multiplayer MMO that was geared towards immersion. That type of MMO no longer exists while that style of game has been successful elsewhere.

Everything else you said is obvious bias and ignorance from someone who played another game and almost definitely did not get the opportunity to play EQ when it released. Your opinion and perception of MMO design is so narrowly formed by your experience with FFXI that you don't seem to have any understanding of games beyond it.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Well the game doesn't have pvp and they went to the basics of pve.  Well the basics of pve didn't work that's why all the new games are called "themepark".  This game sounds good to idealists but realists see it will probably not work.  You can't make normal pve so hard it requires groups.  The majority of mmorpg players are not running around in groups.  Unless they have a really good matchmaking system like Rift had.  I'm not saying its impossible.  But I am saying the average developer lacks the sense to make such a thing happen effectively.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    Well the game doesn't have pvp and they went to the basics of pve.  Well the basics of pve didn't work that's why all the new games are called "themepark".  This game sounds good to idealists but realists see it will probably not work.  You can't make normal pve so hard it requires groups.  The majority of mmorpg players are not running around in groups.  Unless they have a really good matchmaking system like Rift had.  I'm not saying its impossible.  But I am saying the average developer lacks the sense to make such a thing happen effectively.

I'm looking forward to some good old fashion dungeon crawling with a group of like minded players, and helping that poor guy over their next to the tree kill that hard to kill monster. 

Maybe will make friends and play a few hours.  Maybe I'll add him to my long friends list I plan on having :)

• ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124

I work for one of the largest companies on Earth.

McDonalds?

I work for one of the largest companies on Earth.

McDonalds?

Very cool :)
  • louis.imbrognolouis.imbrogno Member UncommonPosts: 6
    filmoret said:

This is tottaly untrue.  When everyone thinks MMO they think its a failure if it doesnt appeal to the masses.  With their smaller dev teams, and not having a company running your company they can afford a much lower player base.  They are marketing a NICHE game and recognize that.  Read their posts and they explain this.  This game would be successfull with 100k subs.  Of course they would love more, but thats not what they are aiming for.  Their niche is old school gamers, wanting old school designs.  Bring the hard back in an MMO, relive grouping and true communities.  They want a game they would play.  Not single player games online.  This is where the MMO field has done MMOs an injustice.  They basically release an MMO you can solo, and some end game content in you can group with that takes no time/effort at all. 

If you havnt noticed, look at all the kickstarter campaigns for MMOs.  All of them are much smaller scale dev teams without companies forcing their hand on the mechanics to get every 13 yr old and there mother subbed.  They can make the game they invision, and aim at a very small subscription base.  Enough to maintain their companies salary, and keep the game rolling.

Just to name a few thats popular:
    Pantheon: rise of the fallen
    Camelot unchained
    Project Gorgon
    Crowfall
    the list goes on.  But i can gurantee you each one of these will be successful in their targets of what they aim to release, and sustain a smaller NICHE player base.  Of course there is room for failure, as these kickstarters are the first of their kind.  But if you ever log into project gorgon (live alpha servers during dev) you'll notice plenty of players, the game feels and somwhat looks like eq1 and the community is AMAZING.  People want these games and want them to succeed.  People are tired of this modern day crap.  Whens the last time you seen an MMO release that was worth more than 3-4 months of play time?  Theres not.  And its nearly impossible to find people who want to hang around.  I'll find a good guild community, next thing you know within 4-5 months the guilds gone.  Even with a community people cant stay with these games they suck!  The games that currently have subs, will remain having these subs for years to come until the companies that run them run a rehash mmo on the same basis. When those players leave, they go play single player games for awhile, or mmo hop and come back on new expansions cause they invested so much time already in those games.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I think you meant to say:

Larger companies will be surprised if Pantheon is ever released :)

• louis.imbrognolouis.imbrogno Member UncommonPosts: 6
    It will in due time.  2017 release schedule atm.  Using unity as their engine, they cut dev time down by a ton and also gain a bunch by building for unity, dx12, 64 bit, win 10.  I honestly dont see the time frame shifting by much as this is brad, who knows how this all works.  If this was some off the wall company ran by some joe shmoe, i could see the potential of it not releasing.  I can gurantee you we'll see this no later than q2 2018 if they run into snags.  I'm hoping it doesnt get pushed that far, but you just never know.

I mean look at darkfall.  Everyone said that would never release.  They are on their own engine as well.  What did it take? 8 yrs for them to release it? lol but it released!

With all the big wigs of companies leaving and starting their own companies, expect to see tons of projects like this develope over the next few years.  As they release/become successful we'll only see more.  No one wants big companies running mmos and ruining their game visions anyhow and taking most the profits before it shuts down cause it was built for the masses.

If you think this game were not to release, i would expect you to think crowfall and camelot unchained to fail as well as they are all doing the same thing with experienced game making founders.  Highly unlikely.  Put some faith into the companies pushing the boundaries and making some games we all want to play.  Theres enough people backing these projects to show they will be a success.
  • MrkuikenMrkuiken Member UncommonPosts: 33

9 days........I gave them about 30 +/-

My best thing about video games ( non-mmos ) is learning the classes builds and the world itself.  After that, well they just get boring.

So that's what mmos have been for the last 5 years JUST VIDEO GAMES with others around me. That's why I only get 30 +/-.......Now I find single player games better and deeper.

Soooooo, lets get a real mmo, one that last for years. 

I Agree.

I have tried a lot of MMORPG's since 2010 when DH(Guild) quit Everquest. But none came even close to my EQ experience and i doubt anything in the future will. The problem is that I am probably setting the bar to high since I am used to Everquest(I keep comparing every MMORPG with EQ and then you get disappointed very fast in any MMORPG)(After playing it 11 years on hardcore lvl).
    And It is not because the games are bad, but its more that i kinda used and liked the way EQ was, and want a new game to be similar to Everquest.
    Games like The elder scrolls / Guild wars 2 / Final fantasy 14 reborn I have played them all and i really enjoyed them but more as a RPG. Because that is all they are in my eyes single player RPG's, but with a bunch of other people in it.
    Get the Witcher 3 and put like 10000 people in it and you got a MMORPG that seems similar to any MMORPG that came out last couple years. 

That is why i like the almost forced Grouping in a MMORPG(Like EQ), because that is what a MMORPG is all about doing things together.
    And having to group is a key element for a MMORPG and for a good community.
    Developers seem to be missing that point in my opinion.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Companies dont get mad, they see what trending and try and find ways to get a share of it. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:

I'm looking forward to some good old fashion dungeon crawling with a group of like minded players, and helping that poor guy over their next to the tree kill that hard to kill monster. 

Maybe will make friends and play a few hours.  Maybe I'll add him to my long friends list I plan on having :)

That guy next to the tree will not be there.  Because he quit and went to play another game.  Because he died 2 times and the penalty was too harsh and he didn't want to stand around for 5 hours waiting for some dude to show up.  He just wanted to enjoy the game.  New games figured out long time ago you need to make both group and solo content.  This game is advertising group only content and well I just don't see it working.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    I'm an avid supporter of Pantheon.  Visionary Realms is not out to try and be everything to everyone or win future MMO subscription drives.  However they do see there is a sizable niche of numerous MMO enthusiasts like me that look forward to an MMO in the style that Visionary Realms is building.   What I like about the VR team is they communicate openly with their audience, they are very open and solicit feedback regularly from them, and they make a sincere effort to know their future players.  Lastly, the VR team has been working fervently on this project and as noted above they have proudly shown their noteworthy progress benchmarks.  
    Obviously those who chose to support Pantheon do so with little to more risk.  But starting a business from the ground up in this market is risky too.  Especially when the talented team they have built has been working mostly pro bono.  I'm proud that I am a part of Pantheon with my support and my welcomed input.  While I haven't bet the farm with financial support I do enjoy being vested in it's future with my small part.
    But no one has to risk a cent to become involved with its progress.  I'd suggest you join Pantheon's Facebook page.  It's there you can see the routine announcements, videos and links to interviews with the team and managers and as I had stated you'll also be able to add your views to the team's regular requests for feedback.    
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

That guy next to the tree will not be there.  Because he quit and went to play another game.  Because he died 2 times and the penalty was too harsh and he didn't want to stand around for 5 hours waiting for some dude to show up.  He just wanted to enjoy the game.  New games figured out long time ago you need to make both group and solo content.  This game is advertising group only content and well I just don't see it working.
    Not every game is for everyone, nor are games that claim to be made for everyone as they are simply games made for the lowest common denominator. Me personally, I can't stand those types of games and really can't seem to tolerate the people that do, so its a win/win!

Those of us who want a game like Pantheon will play it while the rest can run off and play WoW or whatever face rolling self esteem building game out there. You see, there is a game for everyone, you just don't have to make everyone play the same game!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I think a dose of history tempered with realistic expectations are in order here. Was it last week or the week before? Someone called this game the next "WoW Killer".

I mean, come on people. How many times has this very scenario played out? Actually, I can answer that. Every single time. There has yet to be one game that isn't over-hyped and then mostly because of overzealous fans and bandwagoning, games are released to HUGE disappointment.

The most amazing thing is that with each and every release, there were warning signs. None of them came as a surprise. Many people saw clearly, the writing on the wall. But the fans worked feverishly to silence the "haters" and then a month after release, the fans are either gone or turned "hater" themselves. And the games are left with diminishing player-bases.

Enough already. The game isn't released. IT's not the savior of the genre, it's not going to make other companies mad, it's not going to steal away player bases, it's not going to usher in world peace and end famine and disease.

But if fans are not willing to engage in meaningful discussions that allow for legitimate criticism, then this cycle will continue each and every time. (I'm not talking bout unfounded basing either)
  • shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240
    To OP, we get it.. you have become a fanboy.

this game will become another irrelevant high fantasy game like so many others
  • KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited December 2015
    Todays Mmos biggest problem is its all soloable its usualy not desirable to Group once you know the Game mechanics you realize you earn more by soloing.What a bother to do other ppls quest no. 132675839 go climb the little apple tree 2Miles away and bring me an apple the 45th time and get no reward for it cause you already did it. A Mmo should offer the best rewards for Groups XP and loot wise. And it should require some skill not just random 5man Teams = iWin. Once i find such a Game that offers a reason to Group up and Socialize and depend on others this will be my MMO and it would be cool if it does just have like 5 quests in the entire game.

But these days everyone does everything its all watered down.Reason is ,we dont have time, we need instant rewards were adult now we cant play longer then 3mins a day so we need casual instant gratifications. Thats what the Industry thinks is cool, but it cant hold your interest for long, since you will get bored fast once you realize the threadmill your playing. Thats not a Mmorpg for me thats a Singleplayergame.

I hope Phanteon will show the World that Mmos should be Group oriented and not Singleplayer Games.Todays Mmos give you an option to play with others but actualy you need a reason to feel a desire to play with others. And that reason should be a desirable one.
  • Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Kabon said:
    Todays Mmos biggest problem is its all soloable its usualy not desirable to Group once you know the Game mechanics you realize you earn more by soloing. A Mmo should offer the best rewards for Groups XP and loot wise. And it should require some skill not just random 5man Teams = iWin. Once i find such a Game that offers a reason to Group up and Socialize and depend on others this will be my MMO.

But these days everyone does everything its all watered down.Reason is ,we dont have time, we need instant rewards were adult now we cant play longer then 3mins a day so we need casual instant gratifications. Thats what the Industry thinks is cool, but it cant hold your interest for long, since you will get bored fast once you realize the threadmill your playing. Thats not a Mmorpg for me thats a Singleplayergame.

I hope Phanteon will show the World that Mmos should be Group oriented and not Singleplayer Games.Todays Mmos give you an option to play with others but actualy you need a reason to feel a desire to play with others.
    The actual problem is people think games are just about beating, when really online games are meant to be social communities and teams of people in guilds and groups working together to have fun. Everyone draws that away everytime someone says to go google it or go wiki what you're looking for. The purpose of playing an online game is to be aided by other fellow community members not GOOGLE or WIKI. Too many spoiled players are using this as an excuse to not play with other people and "solo" mmo games.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Companies don't get mad when other companies succeed. They imitate that success as best as they are able. If this game does well, expect to see more companies try to produce games like it. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    edited December 2015
    Pantheon is being tailored for the 'old school' Everquest MMO gamers.  That's a niche market even if the game turns out to be really awesome at what its trying to do.

So, no, 'larger companies' aren't going to be "mad" after Pantheon is released.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Oh neat someone who can make up a story about who he wishes he was.  Another amazing tail of the interweb.