Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game devs say what they would do with $100m: ironies thrown in the direction of Star Citizen

jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/what-would-the-best-indie-developers-in-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

Some hilarious answers and some common sense, told as ethically as possible, indirectly as possible to do not appear a direct hit, that CR has making a lot of mistakes from the beginning (to do not say other thing that some people believe).

I have no hope that everyone will get the messages since some of them would be get more by people that 'know the drill', to understand that some of these guys decided not tell what they really would do with the money, but just used of ironies and jokes to criticize the Roberts approach and the danger been ignored, the fatal double edge sword been constantly ignored, underestimated and blindly supported.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Right there.  This link tells me one thing and one thing only.  That most all of the negative talk surrounding this game is fueled by one emotion only.  Jealousy.

"What if YOU had something that someone else has"  The human desire to attain what others have done all ready always starts from a spark of envy.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2015
    jcrg99 said:
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/what-would-the-best-indie-developers-in-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

Some hilarious answers and some common sense, told as ethically as possible, indirectly as possible to do not appear a direct hit, that CR has making a lot of mistakes from the beginning (to do not say other thing that some people believe).

I have no hope that everyone will get the messages since some of them would be get more by people that 'know the drill', to understand that some of these guys decided not tell what they really would do with the money, but just used of ironies and jokes to criticize the Roberts approach and the danger been ignored, the fatal double edge sword been constantly ignored, underestimated and blindly supported.

I didnt read the article but I did scan it and I agree all those developers could make a better game with 100 million than CR could.

I cant imagine what an assume game the creators of Space Engineers could create with that kind of money.

I mean for a point of reference just look at Elite Dangerous.....

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goboygo said:

Right there.  This link tells me one thing and one thing only.  That most all of the negative talk surrounding this game is fueled by one emotion only.  Jealousy.

"What if YOU had something that someone else has"  The human desire to attain what others have done all ready always starts from a spark of envy.

Read the article and then come back cause that's a poor attempt at a troll
    DMKano said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    jcrg99 said:

I didnt read the article but I did scan it and I agree all those developers could make a better game with 100 million than CR could.

I cant imagine what an assume game the creators of Space Engineers could create with that kind of money.

Better is completely subjective because they are not the making the same game.

I'd venture to say that quite possibly  many indie devs would waste the 100mil and still make mediocre games.

The only way to see who would do it better is to give them all 100mil and have all of them make Star Citizen then we could compare who did it best.

I dont agree. I dont have anything to proove it however I just know the games I have seen made for less are outstanding and with SC there really isnt even a game yet.

HOWEVER TO BE FAIR, 100 million dollar project is by its very nature of a huge scope going to take longer to deliver and I am aware of that so we shall see

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    SEANMCAD said:

Indeed.
    DMKano said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    jcrg99 said:

I'd venture to say that quite possibly  many indie devs would waste the 100mil and still make mediocre games.

The only way to see who would do it better is to give them all 100mil and have all of them make Star Citizen then we could compare who did it best.

Some of them are not tiny indies.
    edited December 2015
    jcrg99 said:

Some of them are not tiny indies.
    well to be fair it is my opinion that AAA companies cant create crap with just 100 million dollars. In fact, SC might already exceede most 100 million AAA projects in terms of playale content...lol, speaking off hand

edited December 2015
    DMKano said:
    at Elite Dangerous.....

The premisse is valid for Roberts too. He broke a deal based in the idea of something "better", but no substance, fact, to corroborate or absolute proof that he wouldn't do the things that he is doing, anyway, but in any case... as you said, better is subjective, in other words... meaningless. Never should be accepted as enough argument for a deal been broken, at least to be accepted by reasonable/smart adults.

The fact, the reality remains that a deal was broken, for something that is not better, at least for everyone involved, in the perspective of everyone.
    Still, for those that did not agree, well... Roberts enforced anyway, a contractual clause of a deal broken by himself. Interesting paradox, because well... those dumb consumers... oh I forgot.. gamers are not consumers
    lol

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think a lot of people here could make interesting things with that kind of money, but judging how SC handling theirs is a bit premature. They are good at getting money, we will see how good they are at making games a few months after release (initially they will have many players, the hard bit is keeping those players).
    Loke666 said:
    I think a lot of people here could make interesting things with that kind of money, but judging how SC handling theirs is a bit premature. They are good at getting money, we will see how good they are at making games a few months after release (initially they will have many players, the hard bit is keeping those players).
    agreed

Loke666 said:

I agree with the second part. With the first, not too much. The waste and disregard with the money given, under different advertised premises that were used to get them, is visible.

jcrg99 said:
    DMKano said:
    at Elite Dangerous.....

The premisse is valid for Roberts too. He broke a deal based in the idea of something "better", but no substance, fact, to corroborate or absolute proof that he wouldn't do the things that he is doing, anyway, but in any case... as you said, better is subjective, in other words... meaningless. Never should be accepted as enough argument for a deal been broken, at least to be accepted by reasonable/smart adults.

The fact, the reality remains that a deal was broken, for something that is not better, at least for everyone involved, in the perspective of everyone.
    Still, for those that did not agree, well... Roberts enforced anyway, a contractual clause of a deal broken by himself. Interesting paradox, because well... those dumb consumers... oh I forgot.. gamers are not consumers
    lol

what does '"better", but no substance' even mean?

that sounds like a contraction 

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    The circle jerk thread...
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The circle jerk thread...

That makes it sandbox!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Good read, but not sure what the OP is getting at. Your transforming what they said to fit your point of view. There's no "drill".

Some had an idea 

Some said they would have no idea and probably break down due to the presure

Some made jokes

One said he thinks that kind of money isn't even enough for a AAA title

OP you're reading too much into things tbh

Herase said:
    Good read, but not sure what the OP is getting at. Your transforming what they said to fit your point of view. There's no "drill".

Some had an idea 

Some said they would have no idea and probably break down due to the presure

Some made jokes

One said he thinks that kind of money isn't even enough for a AAA title

OP you're reading too much into things tbh

honestly I think if David Braben was in charge the game would be completed.

That is not to say SC will not be completed and not have more than David Braben could dream of I am just noticing that David Braben seems to drive circles around Chris.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

"A mix of Dark Souls and Skyrim"

Adam Turnbull, Guerrilla Games

Dear Mr. Turnbull . . . get on kickstarter right f'in now. I will go all Star Citizen cult-fan for this.
    Herase said:

Not really. I just noticed the sarcasm. Game devs realize where they are in those statements. I am not "transforming" anything. Just some guys there using the typical way to criticize something that they disagree, without attracting too much attention of a cult transforming them in the next me, or Derek Smart or The Escapist or whoever that decides to be more open, and ignore politics ;)
    DMKano said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    jcrg99 said:

Brilliant actually.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited December 2015
    looooooooooooooooooooooooool, what is this person smoking

an indie developers saying $100 million is actually not a lot

I'm really unclear how people are missing the fact that these guys are trying to do something that's never really been done before which is why they couldn't possibly get anyone to fund it.

And all this community does is shit on them for trying.  If they were making another COD clone then you might have a leg to stand on. But they are not, they are trying something so impossibly ambitious that it could only be made through donation's or maybe by Warren Buffet as a side project.

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I used to play the what if game as well, then I grew up.
    edited December 2015
    goboygo said:

they are trying something so impossibly ambitious that it could only be made through donation's

it's true, it's impossible to buy a mansion in the pacific palisades without enough donations

forbes: "There are detailed statements suggesting that Chris Roberts and his wife bought their Pacific Palisades mansion using company funds."

the next round of donations will buy his wife silverware, let's see those VISA cards people
    Kiyoris said:
    goboygo said:

they are trying something so impossibly ambitious that it could only be made through donation's

it's true, it's impossible to buy a mansion in the pacific palisades without enough donations

forbes: "There are detailed statements suggesting that Chris Roberts and his wife bought their Pacific Palisades mansion using company funds."

the next round of donations will buy his wife silverware, let's see those VISA cards people

I saw bigfoot once.
    edited December 2015
    goboygo said:
    Kiyoris said:
    goboygo said:

I saw bigfoot once.
    funny, but forbes is a rather credible source

they're not making these things up on the fly