Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we NOT go with Stonehealers as a thing?

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
edited December 2015 in Camelot Unchained
Huge DAoC fan.  Absolutely loved the Midgard Healer class.  What on earth is a stonehealer? I mean, healing through rocks?  The other realms get two awesome healer classes and we get.... rocks.  A little thrown off on that one.  Anyone agree?

That aside, the game looks pretty amazing.  Sad there aren't any frostalfs, but the races look great. Some of the classes sound very specific, rather than general fantasy classes. So that is a little interesting, maybe not in a good way.  All in all I'm extremely excited!  Just wish they would rethink the Viking healer! (Throwing stones at people does not heal them, I've tested it.)

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Hey, nice to see new people in our little Kingdom of Spiderwebs and Crickets!

That being said, I absolutely agree with everything you wrote - except for the first two paragraphs =)

Interesting that CloakingDonkey (in his video about healers) sharply attacked...Empath!? (my fav class, StoneHaler being second among healers) while thinking that other two are OK. De gustibus... Anyway, I doubt CSE will deviate much from their concepts unless some big technical issue emerges.

Speaking of how amazing the game looks, I am in fact quite worried about it's animations/looks (yes, I know it's "only alpha" and yaddaYaddity). Of course, I'll be keeping my rotten tomatoes for Beta, or maybe even bit longer.
     W...aaagh?
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I'm not a graphics snob, I still play EQ with original graphics on.  I more meant that they looks great as in diverse and interesting.  Stonehealer is certainly unique, but I just don't see how it fits, even in a fantasy world.  Can't wait for Beta!

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I am a Mid still, subbed currently. I have no problem with the Stonehealer.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    are you sure you ve thrown those stones hard enough?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    All I keep picturing is one of those spas where they put hot stones on your back. 

Everyone fights better after a massage.
    dreamer05 said:
    I'm not a graphics snob, I still play EQ with original graphics on.  I more meant that they looks great as in diverse and interesting.  Stonehealer is certainly unique, but I just don't see how it fits, even in a fantasy world.  Can't wait for Beta!
    I am also leaving graphical snobbery to others - my fear is, how will they react? Because, you and me are , in a way, insignificant. This actually reminds me of the endless "to sub or not to sub?" debates, vocal minority typically goes with standard "I prefer subs because X,Y,Z..." which I both agree with and find offtopic.

In other words, I am much more interested in how the market will react and what will actually happen out of our narrow(ish) circles.

Speaking of Stonehealer - have in mind that spells will also, same as rocks, be objects in this game - with collision, physics, A.I.R. and whatnot. Also, thinking in terms of mysterious runes instead of plane rocks kinda helps with immersion!?
     W...aaagh?
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    And here I thought it was the Empath who was unpopular healer.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All these stungardians, oy! Albion (Arthurians) forever baby! (And yes the Physician is the one :) )
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Axxar said:
    And here I thought it was the Empath who was unpopular healer.
    @Axxar Not really, it was just CloakingDonkey making some noise in his video =)

PS Empath is my favorite, at least till we see how shapeshifters and spirit pets work, post launch.
     W...aaagh?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am still far  far away from getting into CU and i'll be perfectly honest as to why.
    I feel this guy is a bit odd lmao ,sorry but  it is how  i feel.I mean i could be totally wrong but i just get the feeling there is going to be some way offbeat ideas in the game.
    I get the feeling that as i would play through the game i would be constantly shaking my head thinking WTF.

Hope i am wrong,would be nice to have a few choices in 2016 as i only see Pantheon ,COE and possibly a long shot on a bit of goofing around in Shards online,nothing else strikes me as playable or fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I'd love to see the stones do friendly damage prior to a much larger heal. If it kills your teammate they then get a delayed instant res. Could then get healers deciding which is better; healing or killing them. I'd LOVE to have that option when healing glass cannon idiots who think they can soak damage like tanks.

You stay sassy!

• continuumccontinuumc Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I think it's a good thing that these classes bring such starkly contrasting feelings about them. Some really question or dislike the Empath. Some the Stonehealer. That means, to me, that they're doing something right. People will either really like the idea and want to play that class, or they really won't. The game doesn't need a bunch of washed out classes that everyone is just 'okay' with. 

Vellic - Guild Leader
    CU News - RealmsUnchained.com
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited January 2016
    I think it's a good thing that these classes bring such starkly contrasting feelings about them. Some really question or dislike the Empath. Some the Stonehealer. That means, to me, that they're doing something right. People will either really like the idea and want to play that class, or they really won't. The game doesn't need a bunch of washed out classes that everyone is just 'okay' with. 
    Couldn't agree more. 

However, we all know how much things tend to get streamlined over time.  So, I hope they don't bite off more than they can chew and end up homogenizing them later on.  Lots of classes means tons of skills, so when you start adding new levels/skills and so on, there's alot less awesome, unique features per class to pass out. 

What I mean is, there are only so many different ways to do things in these games.  It's easy to start off with lots of class/race diversity, but keeping it is down the road - that's way more difficult.
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    edited January 2016
    ^^^ Agree with Lokero.  I'm glad there are so many class options.  There is always a worry with that many classes as you said, but DAoC was done really well in that aspect in my opinion. Even if you are mixing certain skill mechanics between different races and classes it still makes for an interesting combination.

You guys have actually helped warm me up to the idea of the stonehealer.  Anyone know if they will be heavy armor wearers?  The support classes look interesting and so do the devout. I'm sure the devout could possibly be used as healers as well.

dreamer05 said:
    ^^^ Agree with Lokero.  I'm glad there are so many class options.  There is always a worry with that many classes as you said, but DAoC was done really well in that aspect in my opinion. Even if you are mixing certain skill mechanics between different races and classes it still makes for an interesting combination.

You guys have actually helped warm me up to the idea of the stonehealer.  Anyone know if they will be heavy armor wearers?  The support classes look interesting and so do the devout. I'm sure the devout could possibly be used as healers as well.
    There will be no armor restrictions - everyone will be able to wear anything. The only limit is that some classes and playstyles will naturally gravitate towards this or that armor type.

Speaking of Devout, I see them (especially Abbot and HelBound) as close to Warhammer's Disciple of Khaine and it's mirror, Warrior Priest. For no particular reason, here's couple fancy pics (Disciple is above):

W...aaagh?
  • SokekokeSokekoke Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Ayy im oldschool rr11 healer and I think stonehealer sounds intriguing and fun, can't wait to play one