Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A good year for MMO's 2015

HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
So a lot of people have been saying it was a bad year for mmo's. I beg to differ.

1 - FF XIV ARR get's first expac and tons of content
2 - GW2 gets new expac and "rebirth" with F2P
3 - Wildstar gets fully, almost, redone and at least done better.
4 - SWTOR got content, finally.
5 - ESO launched B2P and had their first EXPAC.
6 - Blade & Soul finally came to beta here in the NA
7 - Marvel Heroes added new characters and new content(danger room)
8 - Star Citizen had an actual decent alpha

I guess I could list more but, in MY OPINION ONLY, I think 2015 was a good year for mmo's.

what do you guy's think?

What do you guy's think is the best/worst drama for the year?   ***cough*** Derek Smart ***cough***

Stay positive and NO FIGHTING.

Comments

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    :3
  • HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    I think it was a good year for tv and movies too. Force Awakens, Juarssic World, Ash vs Evil Dead, etc.
    I think it was a good year for tv and movies too. Force Awakens, Juarssic World, Ash vs Evil Dead, etc.
    Not a big live action watcher, I enjoy my animus but those are definitely 3 big ones that I really need to see eventually. It was an awesome year for console games to say the least.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Certain STDs are on the rise in 2015.  A great year for STDs!!  Good going F-ers.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Not a big live action watcher, I enjoy my animus but those are definitely 3 big ones that I really need to see eventually. It was an awesome year for console games to say the least.
    Hell yes, MGSV and Fallout 4 were the best in my opinion. For this year that is.
    edited December 2015
    So a lot of people have been saying it was a bad year for mmo's. I beg to differ.

I guess I could list more but, in MY OPINION ONLY, I think 2015 was a good year for mmo's.

what do you guy's think?

What do you guy's think is the best/worst drama for the year?   ***cough*** Derek Smart ***cough***

Still felt a bit weak overall for some specific reason (In my opinion of course). I will refer things to FFXIV quite a bit and  despite it seeming like hate the game, the feeling is misplaced as this year marked a lot of things MMO's did this year that FFXIV could innovate its current stagnant release formula to improve the game. 

1. "Tons of content" is definitely a stretch, as its been mentioned many times before the statement is subjective based on what you come to a MMORPG to do and how well FFXIV's activities engage you. HW overall felt very tacked on and half backed for an additional 40$-60$+ USD charge on top of the games current subscription fee, and I am not alone on this belief. HW brought more of the same but slightly less than some expected.

2. GW2 I can't quite comment on due to lack of info but for the most part its nice to see the game has added a season Raid progression ladders so even PvE players can test their mettle to see who is the best raider. It's also nice to see the game added alternative progression over increasing the level cap, which at times can seem tacked on and forced (which is how I did feel HW for FFXIV was). Two large things I'd like to see in FFXIV in the future as they are two great ideas to learn from.

3. I won't be the first one that felt concerned when WS first transitioned to F2P as most of the game was the exact same year long content drought it was prior. Concerns were however dispelled in the following weeks/months as things got quite a bit more beefed up. A lot of effort was put into this games events during Halloween and now the Holday's which ALL MMo's could really learn from rather than adding a dyed and more outfit reskin's that you just purchase from an NPC. Even in 1.0 FFXIV had some more interesting Holiday events where you would go out into the world and do tasks so another thing many MMO's can learn from!

4. SWTOR actually did quite well this year with a large level cap increase/added personal story along with Bioware going back to doing what they do best "Storytelling". Making alternative camera angles and dynamic action/voice acting all into one impressive bundle. All the while adding multiple raids, expanding and rebuilding the companion system and making a new dynamic way flashpoints (dungeons) are experienced. New expanded PvP sets/rankings and a all new gear progression to work through sound like a lot like things I'd love to see in my favorite MMO; FFXIV. All of this was given to players for FREE by simply being subbed to the game which despite how little/more we got still felt like a much more humble value than charging full expansion price and not delivering.

The writing is good and HW story knocked things up a peg but SE always struggled with making compelling scenes and dynamic action sequences that always made me chuckle, and as FFXIV is a Story driven MMO (being as how we are forced to do storyline) some things could be improved to make it less eye gouging to watch. SWTOR would actually be up on top of MMO of the year had it not been for that huge community debacle over the games changes to the companion system from launch/post launch. 

5. ESO got a big subscriber boost with the PS4 and Xbox One launch but there has been a growing discontent with the PC players as to the speed of content being released but Hellbound has played ESO much more than I so he can definitely elaborate a bit more himself if he chooses to.

6. B&S finally wrapped up its final CBT a couple weeks back but the game is still not officially slated until 2016 it cannot be considered a MMO release of 2015.

7. Cannot comment as I am not a fan of Marvel/DC hero based games but I did enjoy CoH and CoV so if bored I may have to check it out now :3.

8. Been following SC for quite some time now and I just honestly think functional alpha or not, this game is just far too big for itself and I feel It will never see the setting sun of release. Those who think otherwise have their own thoughts on that matter and are free to express them :3

When you start picking around and really getting deep into this years MMO's it really isn't much to look at, SWTOR had a strong start but fizzled a bit at the end which I guess still makes FFXIV a better runner up. Ironically despite all my harsh criticisms the game still stands the test of time and while I didn't feel HW was great, it was greater than 2.0 and I guess it stands for something?
    edited December 2015

what do you guy's think?

5. ESO got a big subscriber boost with the PS4 and Xbox One launch but there has been a growing discontent with the PC players as to the speed of content being released but Hellbound has played ESO much more than I so he can definitely elaborate a bit more himself if he chooses to.

Oh yeah I forgot they released on console. Neverwinter did too..I think?

Now, as far as PC, I can understand to a degree but, they did something. Something increadable that actually brought me back. Controller support. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/quakecon-2015-controller-support-coming-to-elder-scrolls-online-on-pc

Now in the options it does still say beta but, so far it works so good. I mean now with the controller, it feels even more like the console version.

I believe they, Zenimax Online, is trying to do something to appeal to the "Skyrim" or "console" fans.

As far as Orsinium, it is pretty big. I easily spent 60+ hours there alone. Stories are as basic as you can get but, still good.

Overall for Orsinium I would give it an 8/10.

My opinion only.

EDIT: I made a video just now showing off the controller support for PC.

WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRsqYitKWw&feature=youtu.be

what do you guy's think?

Oh yeah I forgot they released on console. Neverwinter did too..I think?

Now, as far as PC, I can understand to a degree but, they did something. Something increadable that actually brought me back. Controller support. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/quakecon-2015-controller-support-coming-to-elder-scrolls-online-on-pc

Now in the options it does still say beta but, so far it works so good. I mean now with the controller, it feels even more like the console version.

I believe they, Zenimax Online, is trying to do something to appeal to the "Skyrim" or "console" fans.

As far as Orsinium, it is pretty big. I easily spent 60+ hours there alone. Stories are as basic as you can get but, still good.

Overall for Orsinium I would give it an 8/10.

My opinion only.

EDIT: I made a video just now showing off the controller support for PC.

WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRsqYitKWw&feature=youtu.be
    Pretty neat, hoping to get some controller support/mapping for B&S but one can dream <3. Totally forgot about Neverwinter on consoles, may take a look into that sometime. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think next year will be the big one for MMOs. This year was more ho hum with updates than anything else. ESO and FFXIV where the big ones for the year. Next year we have a lot of mmos coming out of beta which should prove to be more competitive than in years past. Its not going to be a mind-blowing, but a better year.