Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play a GOOD game if it is mis-classified as a MMO by YOUR definition? (anonymous)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,662
    @ grumpyhobbit, you pretty much nailed how I feel about other games outside of MMORPGs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited December 2015
    Gratz on a 7 page troll.
    Best troll in the history of this site.

Naw, some of the hundred-page threads during the SWTOR marketing run-up were better. GW2 still gets one from time to time (hater v fanboy epic extravaganzas).
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Kyleran said:
    @ grumpyhobbit, you pretty much nailed how I feel about other games outside of MMORPGs.
    Glad I finally got there trying to explain myself. Writing is such a slow medium to communicate in and for some reason when I try and reply my browser grinds to a halt the longer any reply I make is so I tend to try and sum things up...often not very well :(

Personally I like all types of games depending on my mood but my true passion is for MMORPG's which is why seeing games misclassified all the time is a big bugbear of mine as it is just a regression rather then an evolution of language to have useless labels/classifications.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,856
    Gratz on a 7 page troll.
    Best troll in the history of this site.

Naw, some of the hundred-page threads during the SWTOR marketing run-up were better. GW2 still gets one from time to time (hater v fanboy epic extravaganzas).
    I was actually referring to the OP more than this thread. He does threads like this every few days. And, me, the dumbass I am, bite every time.

I honestly don't even think he believes half the stuff he posts. I'd bet he thinks It's more fun to throw gasoline on a fire (such as rubbing MMORPG player's noses in the fact that their genre up and left them) than it is to play some of these F2P these games he's always on about.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Pala said:
    Why is it so strange that some people will refuse to play a wrongly classified game even if its good. They are the only people with some moral courage here and the reason why you can make these polls. 

lol ... you need "moral courage" to have fun using entertainment products?

Learning about strange preferences like this ... is exactly the reason why I make these polls.

Talking about accurate labelling...

If you met a girl, got together 'physically', then got told 'she' was a 'he', would you still be fine with mislabelling things?
    It is not like devs don't advertise solo-ability, instances, and give demos (or just plain f2p) MMOs. Your premise is that players don't know what broadened MMO means, and would stick to the classical definition.

That is clearly false. Anyone who have been on this (or other MMO) sites know that MMO is no longer massively multiplayer. 

wow .. now we are down to 9% saying "no". 
    filmoret said:

@GrumpyHobbit ; hey man you started an argument on your misunderstanding.  Well that's not working because the reason naurssaldon said that 1 vote didn't count is because that 1 vote didn't try to answer the question.  Instead he created his own question and answered it.  Its just that 1 vote not all the votes for no that he was referring to. 

In fact, let's be generous and count that vote too. While that particular answer seems to be inconsistent with the premise of the question, it is fine to include it .. just in the spirit of inclusion in this holiday season!

If a fruit is "nice", would you eat it even if it was labeled as vegetable ?

Would you be really irritated if you went to the store to buy more of that fruit, and couldn't find it anywhere in the fruit section ?

We label and classify and sort things for a very good reason, i.e. to make life simpler and more convenient. Mislabeling causes frustration and wastes time. Mislabeling certain chemicals can cause death...
    hmm .. no one is arguing whether mis-labeling is good or bad.

The question is ... IF a good (subjective to you) game is mislabelled, are you still going to play it?

Just like .. i love korean pears (those huge ones). If a supermarket mistakenly put them in the vegetable section, i will still buy and eat them. It is not like I cannot tell what it is by the look of it. Sure, it may be irritable ... but am I going to deny myself some good fruit just because i don't agree with someone's else classification? Nah ....
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Would i play a great mmo even though it was advertised as a shooter ?    Maybe i would.  I would never try it based on it beeing advertised as a shooter though,  but maybe if i read some reviews and got a positive vibe from those...

Would i play a great shooter even though it was advertised as an mmo ?   Maybe i would.  If the advertising was good.  I would drop it pretty fast though when i found out it was a shooter instead of a mmo,  and i would definedtly be mad about the false advertising.  Just like the people in the first example who were looking for a shooter but got an mmo would be mad about falsely advertising their game as a shooter and then getting an mmo.

You got to know your game and target the players that likes your type of game.  I dont like shooters,  so ofc i wouldn't play a shooter even if it was good.  If it was marketed as an mmo i might try it, if i didn't do my homework and read some reviews,  but i would be mad about not receiving the game i was promised.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Pala said:
    <snip>
    It is not like devs don't advertise solo-ability, instances, and give demos (or just plain f2p) MMOs. Your premise is that players don't know what broadened MMO means, and would stick to the classical definition.

That is clearly false. Anyone who have been on this (or other MMO) sites know that MMO is no longer massively multiplayer. 

I think we all know what "broadened MMO" means but we don't all accept it. I refuse to accept it because it's inaccurate and false. As for the classical definition, it's the correct definition, the only definition.

Everquest is an MMO. World of Tanks is not. Simple truth. That doesn't mean that I won't play a game just because it's been mis-labelled by someone. World of Tanks is a fairly decent online tank game but it's not massively multiplayer. It is much closer to Counter Strike or TF2 or any other FPS than it is an MMO. Wargaming very cleverly called it an MMO, I suspect, in order to justify pushing a cash shop on us and it worked. But seriously, let's face it, it's not an MMO and anyone with half a brain cell can see that.

MMO has always meant massively multiplayer and it always will, regardless of what you or anyone else would like to think. You're all wrong. You, the people running this and other sites, the journalists and the devs that misrepresent their games. All. Wrong.

Not so long ago a lot of people thought the world was flat. Wrong. Same thing now with all you lot calling the wrong kinds of games MMO's. Guess what, you're all wrong.

Having said all that, it bears no relevance at all to the question of wether or not I'd play a game that I enjoyed, regardless of the fact that it was mis-labelled.

Just because I play WoT doesn't mean I accept that it's an MMO, mis-labelled or not. Yes it's fun, yes I play it and no it's not an MMO and anyone that calls it one is wrong to do so. You can't infer my acceptance of "broadened MMO" just because I play a game that's called an MMO incorrectly.

I think we all know what "broadened MMO" means but we don't all accept it. I refuse to accept it because it's inaccurate and false. As for the classical definition, it's the correct definition, the only definition.

Everquest is an MMO. World of Tanks is not. Simple truth. That doesn't mean that I won't play a game just because it's been mis-labelled by someone. World of Tanks is a fairly decent online tank game but it's not massively multiplayer. 

Sure .. that certainly is your prerogative. And given what you wrote, i guess you vote a YES.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Everquest is an MMO. World of Tanks is not. Simple truth. That doesn't mean that I won't play a game just because it's been mis-labelled by someone. World of Tanks is a fairly decent online tank game but it's not massively multiplayer. 

Sure .. that certainly is your prerogative. And given what you wrote, i guess you vote a YES.
    Just as it's yours to selectively quote me to try and make a point, leaving out my counter argument. Just as it's yours to accept the falacy that MMO means anything other than Massively Multiplayer Online. Just as it's yours to refuse to understand that Massively Multiplayer is all about numbers in the same game/match/instance and that 30v30 just doesn't cut it.

LoL 40 million players worldwide, max players in a game 5v5. Not an MMO.
    EVE est subs currently 350k, max players in a solar system 2000+. This is an MMO.

Let's look at that again. 10 players or 2000 players. Once more just in case you missed it. 10 players or 2000 players. Are we seeing a difference yet? No? Ok, here we go again for the ones that missed it. Watch closely.

10 players (not an MMO) or 2000 players (MMO).

It's not the total number of players, it's how many can play together in the same place. It's numbers, it's always been about numbers. What baffles me so completely is how you people don't get this.

How a game is defined doesn't dictate whether or not I'll play it because I don't limit myself to one genre of game. I do still believe that games should be defined by genre correctly though. I voted "Yes".

Let me ask you this. Is a tomatoe a fruit or a vegetable?

Just as it's yours to selectively quote me to try and make a point, leaving out my counter argument. 
    Of course. There is no counter argument to a question. I did not make a point, I asked a question. Did you miss that or do I have to remind you of what a poll is?

So again, is this a "yes" for you? Oh, btw, the poll is anonymous. So you don't have to answer that openly. Just vote is enough!
    latest count: 29 YES 3 NO

I am surprised there are only 3 NOs. From the posts here, i thought there are more who cares about labeling than whether a game is good (to them).

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I am surprised there are only 3 NOs. From the posts here, i thought there are more who cares about labeling than whether a game is good (to them).

Stop trolling
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • zasdzasd Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I have not read all the posts, Its just stupid to slap MMO on any game that has multiplayer support... I think Slapping MMO on all these silly Multiplayer games is doing a disservice to the MMO genre.

If I am looking for an MMO to play I want an MMO to play not some stupid Multiplayer game where only a handful of people can play together on a server or in a map... I want a game where thousands can play together in a persistent world. 
    zasd said:
    I have not read all the posts, Its just stupid to slap MMO on any game that has multiplayer support... I think Slapping MMO on all these silly Multiplayer games is doing a disservice to the MMO genre.

are you calling the operators of this site "silly"?
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited December 2015
    zasd said:

Everyone has their moments.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Just like .. i love korean pears (those huge ones). If a supermarket mistakenly put them in the vegetable section, i will still buy and eat them. 
    What's the difference, that you're irritated over the obvious mislabeling of Korean pears, but you seem to actually be in favor of the obvious mislabeling of MMOs?

Is it just a matter that ones of them trolls people into responses and the other doesn't?  Is trolling your only motivation?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

You keep trolling this website repeatedly with the same nonsense over and over.

Give it a rest and make a new year resolution to stop asking the same question hoping for a different answer.

People do care about labelling but your question was so loaded I am sure most see through it for the bullshit it is.

Give it a rest and make a new year resolution to stop asking the same question hoping for a different answer.

People do care about labelling but your question was so loaded I am sure most see through it for the bullshit it is.
    hmm .. this is the FIRST time i asked this question. You don't seem to understand what the word "same" means. I thought you are for a literal interpretation of words?

And why would i hope for another answer? Most people answered "yes" .. which is what i expect (people care less about labels).

Isn't it also interesting to see some who answered "no". Wouldn't it be interesting to discuss how they think, and why they are so different from the rest of us?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,856
    zasd said:

If they make silly associations? Yeah.
    zasd said:

If they make silly associations? Yeah.
    and you love to come to silly sites? Do you also read "silly" reviews too?
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited December 2015
    So , what are GOOD games that mis-classified as MMO ?
    I remember other topic you said something about path of Exile as MMO

http://pathofexile.wikia.com/wiki/Why_we_hate_being_called_an_MMORPG .
    Okay , even the developers don't want to call it MMORPG .

iixviiiix said:
    So , what are GOOD games that mis-classified as MMO ?

"good" is subjective. But since World of Tank is so successful, many people must think that it is good. So that is an example.

I can tell you my list of good games that are "mis-classified" (by some definition people love here) but you know that my list of "good" games and yours are probably different, right?