Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play a GOOD game if it is mis-classified as a MMO by YOUR definition? (anonymous)

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Create a poll where you WANT the answer to be YES.

Clearly that is not the case as about 12% answered "no" (in the other thread ... people have not fully voted in this one yet).

In fact, it is MUCH more interesting to analyze the "no"s than the "yes". Otherwise, why would i put the poll together in the first place? 

A poll is pointless if everyone answers the same way. 

The question clearly is for those who think other games are "good" but refuse to play them just because of the classification is not up to their liking. The 12%, except Kyleran, said essentially that.

Kyleran is different because the set of "good games that is misclassified" is empty for him .. or that there is no good games but only "pure" MMO. But this is not the case for the others who vote "no". 
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    well find it quite weird if someone would not play a game, only because it is marked as a MMO, but aint, so imo its a weird question.

however Id rather play singleplayer games, than suedo MMOs.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

Clearly that is not the case as about 12% answered "no" (in the other thread ... people have not fully voted in this one yet).

In fact, it is MUCH more interesting to analyze the "no"s than the "yes". Otherwise, why would i put the poll together in the first place? 

A poll is pointless if everyone answers the same way. 

The question clearly is for those who think other games are "good" but refuse to play them just because of the classification is not up to their liking. The 12%, except Kyleran, said essentially that.

Kyleran is different because the set of "good games that is misclassified" is empty for him .. or that there is no good games but only "pure" MMO. But this is not the case for the others who vote "no". 

They ask why people wouldn't play a good game rather then loading a poll to get the answer you want!

Kyleran said:

For a game to be good "for me", it has to be a MMO, and not one such as Destiny that often gets mis-classified as one.

In this case, the question/poll does NOT apply to you.

Really?????

A NO answer and you dismiss it because it is not the answer you want.

I cannot think of a more obvious case of trolling.

Hedeon said:
    well find it quite weird if someone would not play a game, only because it is marked as a MMO, but aint, so imo its a weird question.

It is a weird question to identify "weird" (in your definition) people. Don't you think it is interesting to discuss "weird" behavior than normal ones?

They ask why people wouldn't play a good game rather then loading a poll to get the answer you want!
    That is the poll. I did ask whether they would (or would not) play a good (subjective to them) game if it is mis-classified.

And if you actually read the polls, there are people who says both "yes" and "no". So what is the problem?
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Gruug said:
    If a game is "labeled" as an MMO when it clearly is not, then the game developer/marketer does not deserve my money. If, as an example, the recent Witcher: Wild Hunt game were marketed and sold as an MMO I would call it fraud and not purchase it. Same with a game like Star Wars Battlefront. There are many many games out there and misleading people to think they are something they are not is what most people would call lying, misinformation, fraud and false advertising. If you feel comfortable dealing with companies that blatantly do this, then you deserve the garbage that they will sell you.
    However, the Witcher 3 is one of the most highly regarded games of the year. To pass it by because of a labeling issue seems like silly reason to deny yourself an experience with an excellent game.

Much of the "issue" comes down to buyer beware. People should research products before they buy, especially when it comes to things that can be regarded as higher dollar purchases. Advertisers are there to advertise products in the best light possible. It is up to the consumer to protect themselves from advertising ploys and do a little research. Is it right for an advertiser to use an extremely generalized definition of a genre to sell a game? It's a little shady and can potentially drive customers away (like yourself). At the same time, this is nothing new, and it's an unfortunate common practice that will most likely never stop.

To answer the poll. I rarely look at labels for the games I play. I do my research, attempt to try before I buy (through beta, demos, friends, etc). I'll even watch youtube and twitch videos/streams to get a feel of the game if possible. If a game looks like it will be fun, I will buy and enjoy it. I am also one to not go out and purchase immediately most of the time. I wait for steam sales on games I don't "need" at launch, which also gives me plenty of time to get a general feel for the public reaction.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    One of the most worthless polls I've ever laid eyes on. To be fair though, it did make me laugh briefly. But wow what a winner. 

This should act as a reminder to anyone who wants to start a thread let alone one with a poll; use your head and think it trough before you hit that "post" button. Yikes.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Cecropia said:
    One of the most worthless polls I've ever laid eyes on. To be fair though, it did make me laugh briefly. But wow what a winner. 

This should act as a reminder to anyone who wants to start a thread let alone one with a poll; use your head and think it trough before you hit that "post" button. Yikes.
    Can't wait for the follow-up poll: "Will you eat a ham sandwich if the deli clerk tells you it's actually turkey and swiss?"
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357
    edited December 2015
    I am going to test this strategy for creating topics. It is really interesting how you take two unrelated things slap them together and make a question. The result is lots of us obsessive-compulsive types feeling how this is stupid but try to explain anyway why you are wrong, even though there is no logic to the question. Hmmm, nicely done sir, must try it:)

Good or bad game has really nothing to do with classification and of course all of us have found ourselves enjoying something we never thought we would at some point in our lives. I dont think anyone can deny that.

People are saying no for different reasons - they dont want to be mislead or lied to so they might deny themselves pleasure to make a point. That is also not new. I dont thing thats wron it shows character and moral ethics. Yes that doesnt mean much to the new generation, but some of the older guys have quiet a strong stance on this. Personally I will chose when its worth making the moral choice.

In an anonymous environment, with many people my vote doesnt make a difference so I will probably just play it anyway but I admire the people who wont. They sacrifice something for their belief and I do believe that they are better than me because of it.

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    I play games that I find entertaining.  Nothing else matters.
  • lovelyfantasylovelyfantasy Member UncommonPosts: 5
    If someone is that bad about it, I would gladly play it just to know that no one who cares so much about something to trivial is playing it that I would have to run into. A good game is a good game, just because it's "incorrectly classified" shouldn't keep you from missing out.  
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357
    edited December 2015
    Lack of ethics and selfish  individualism is the curse of our society but who cares, right? As long as you are having fun it doesn't matter that a product was cynically mislabeled to lead people into buying it. Screw them, you are having fun, thats all that matters?
    Forgrimm said:
    Cecropia said:

Can't wait for the follow-up poll: "Will you eat a ham sandwich if the deli clerk tells you it's actually turkey and swiss?"

Would you eat a GOOD ham sandwich even if it misclassified as a SALAD by YOUR classification?

Vegatarians think the label is VERY important. (hopefully the analogy doesn't fly over OP's head).
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The problem is most people who voted no created their own question that is different then the one asked.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    I'm shocked at the number of people who have no clue how to analyze a poll.  Well what would you expect.  Anyways its a good job naiurassaldon makes me think and wonder about those no's myself.
    Forgrimm said:
    Cecropia said:

Would you eat a GOOD ham sandwich even if it misclassified as a SALAD by YOUR classification?

Vegatarians think the label is VERY important. (hopefully the analogy doesn't fly over OP's head).
    Good is subjective. Vegatarians would not think a ham sandwich is good in the first place.

If someone does think a ham sandwich is GOOD, isn't it odd that he will not eat it just because somebody else call it a salad?

filmoret said:
    I'm shocked at the number of people who have no clue how to analyze a poll.  Well what would you expect.  Anyways its a good job naiurassaldon makes me think and wonder about those no's myself.
    Human nature is so much fun. I put up the poll exactly because of the "no"s. (which i have a hunch there will be some). If they are all "yes", the poll will not be so interesting.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It was obvious from the onset this poll was a thinly veiled bait thread to rekindle an argument that's been done to death here.

It's a fallacious argument: whether or not a game has quality has no bearing whatsoever on what genre that game is listed under by, well, anyone.  In fact, those that create the game and impart that quality, many times, have never even met those who will later categorize the game (for better or worse).  The poll question has no real bearing to the OPs underlying argument (that is, that MMO should be used to describe any online game anyone with a blog spot or an advertising office want it to).  Only through circular and fallacious logic do the results make any kind of argument either way.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,678
    No Mas. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Good is subjective. Vegatarians would not think a ham sandwich is good in the first place.

If someone does think a ham sandwich is GOOD, isn't it odd that he will not eat it just because somebody else call it a salad?
    OK let me try and walk you through this as you seem to be playing dumb.

Vegetarian = Person looking for an MMO.
    Ham sandwich = Game incorrectly classified as an MMO.
    Salad sandwich = Correctly classified MMO.

Vegetarian wants a SALAD sandwich so picks up a sandwich from the SALAD section of the Deli.
    Vegetarian goes to pay for the SALAD sandwich and realises it is a HAM sandwich.
    Deli tries to ring up the sale but the Vegetarian is unhappy that the HAM sandwich was in the SALAD section.
    Vegetarian doesn't want to buy the HAM sandwich but the Deli guy insists it is a GOOD HAM sandwich.
    Other customers who likes HAM also advise the VEGETARIAN that the HAM sandwiches are GOOD.
    VEGETARIAN walks out the shop muttering about retarded Deli owners and customers who don't understand that a VEGETARIAN doesn't want to eat a HAM sandwich and expects HAM sandwiches to NOT be in the salad section.

You are the customer looking puzzled at the back of the VEGETARIAN wondering why they are getting all worked up about HAM being in the SALAD section.

Hint - It is because he is a fucking VEGETARIAN.

The quality of the HAM sandwich is irrelevent. Which section the sandwich is placed in is what is important.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    The thing is I am sure everyone here would play a "good" game, even if it was called an mmorpg while not being one; IE a Moba(not my cup of tea). Mmorpg is just the distinct genre I happened to enjoy the most and would be pissed off at a misleading useage of the term MMORPG, however a good game is a good game....

MurderHerd

It was obvious from the onset this poll was a thinly veiled bait thread to rekindle an argument that's been done to death here.

It's a fallacious argument: whether or not a game has quality has no bearing whatsoever on what genre that game is listed under by, well, anyone.  In fact, those that create the game and impart that quality, many times, have never even met those who will later categorize the game (for better or worse).  The poll question has no real bearing to the OPs underlying argument (that is, that MMO should be used to describe any online game anyone with a blog spot or an advertising office want it to).  Only through circular and fallacious logic do the results make any kind of argument either way.
    Why you using articulate speech and ignoring the simple obvious question this poll is answering?  It's not hard or complicated.  The game is good but I refuse to even play it because everyone called it a mmo.  The mindset of that person evolves around the fact that he is hung on how games are classified more then on if the game itself is fun.  The purpose of the poll like many others is to find what number of people on these forums would actually do such a thing.  Since there has been many heated debates on what a mmo is he wanted to see how far people would actually go to prove a point or prove their bitterness on the topic.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    There are different kinds of MMOs, just as there are different kinds of shooters, platformers, and the woefully criminally abused "action" genre. I'll play any of them as long as they're good. I think, even more than the MMO, the RPG is under pressure these days as more and more games cram systems that used to be reserved for the TES, Ultimas, and FF's of the world.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    @nariusseldon ; Seriously man you should have made this anomyous.  Now I will never take seriously anyone who voted no.
    As one who voted No, I thank you for your honesty. Why? Because I don't like being told one thing when the truth is something else.

To me what this poll and thread is really asking is this: Do we think it is acceptable for a Business to mislead potential Consumers about the nature of the product?

When a Dev creates an online game and then tries to broaden it's appeal by calling a MMO, when it's clearly a MOBA (for example) and has very few believable claims to being a MMO, then I see that clearly as an attempt to mislead Consumers.

and my answer will always be No to that. The end does not justify the means. So if I object to this marketing strategy the way I say I do then what for me is an acceptable response? To not play the game of course, which is my way of voting with my wallet and saying I disagree with how that Business is marketing it's product (even if the game is great and I miss out on playing it). Do I miss out on potentially a great game? Sure I do, but if I seek to have an integrity at all I must be willing to back up my opinions with action. I disagree with the marketing practice of misrepresenting products just to increase sales and I am acting on my opinion by choosing to not purchase play the product.

If you think it is acceptable for Businesses to mislead their Customers just to sell a product, which is exactly what Game Publishers are doing when they misrepresent their products as something they are not, than I thank you for being honest and telling me upfront what side of the line you are on. I respect you for that even if you will never take me seriously ever again.

You can't change the question because you want to give an answer.  The question is clear and you could have given the obvious answer then explained yourself.  If he asked the question that you created then I would have voted no myself.  Don't change poll questions because you want to answer a certain way that's kinda strange.  So now I wonder how many other people didn't answer the question but created a new question in their mind then answered that instead.
    I understand quite well what Nariusseldon is asking for, and I answered him. I didn't change the question, I cleared away the bantha patties.

When someone, anyone, asks "will you play a game that claims to be a MMO but isn't one?" all that is really is asking is "can I lie to you and not have you offended?" My answer was "No." Clear answer as far as I'm concerned. I answered it quite clearly in my first post and expounded on it in my second.

The question Nariusseldon posed WAS clear and I understood it. Not sure what you thought He meant.