Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play a GOOD game if it is mis-classified as a MMO by YOUR definition? (anonymous)

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    13lake said:
    On one hand 14% just shows it's a vocal minority trying to sound bigger then they are, but on the other hand because the number is bigger than 0% i'm just flabbergasted, ...
    If you never try anything new, you won't ever discover a replacement obsession, right?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    13lake said:
    On one hand 14% just shows it's a vocal minority trying to sound bigger then they are, but on the other hand because the number is bigger than 0% i'm just flabbergasted, ...
    Its a stupid question.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

LOL,   12% said no.  That's really bad.  I'll just take that 12% off my poll about the current state of mmorpg's.  Since they are so picky about labels I would never expect a decent review out of one of those voters.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • UltimaJenkoUltimaJenko Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I don't see why not! :)
    Kilrain said:
    Are you that bored you must create such a useless poll?

Just because you haven't figured out how to use a fork doesn't mean everyone else is in the same situation.  This poll is very useful about the current mindset of gamers who visit these forums.  Now you can automatically take 12% off any poll that gives a negative response.
    @nariusseldon ; Seriously man you should have made this anomyous.  Now I will never take seriously anyone who voted no.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    @nariusseldon ; Seriously man you should have made this anomyous.  Now I will never take seriously anyone who voted no.
    As one who voted No, I thank you for your honesty. Why? Because I don't like being told one thing when the truth is something else.

To me what this poll and thread is really asking is this: Do we think it is acceptable for a Business to mislead potential Consumers about the nature of the product?

When a Dev creates an online game and then tries to broaden it's appeal by calling a MMO, when it's clearly a MOBA (for example) and has very few believable claims to being a MMO, then I see that clearly as an attempt to mislead Consumers.

and my answer will always be No to that. The end does not justify the means. So if I object to this marketing strategy the way I say I do then what for me is an acceptable response? To not play the game of course, which is my way of voting with my wallet and saying I disagree with how that Business is marketing it's product (even if the game is great and I miss out on playing it). Do I miss out on potentially a great game? Sure I do, but if I seek to have an integrity at all I must be willing to back up my opinions with action. I disagree with the marketing practice of misrepresenting products just to increase sales and I am acting on my opinion by choosing to not purchase play the product.

If you think it is acceptable for Businesses to mislead their Customers just to sell a product, which is exactly what Game Publishers are doing when they misrepresent their products as something they are not, than I thank you for being honest and telling me upfront what side of the line you are on. I respect you for that even if you will never take me seriously ever again.
    filmoret said:
    As one who voted No, I thank you for your honesty. Why? Because I don't like being told one thing when the truth is something else.

To me what this poll and thread is really asking is this: Do we think it is acceptable for a Business to mislead potential Consumers about the nature of the product?

When a Dev creates an online game and then tries to broaden it's appeal by calling a MMO, when it's clearly a MOBA (for example) and has very few believable claims to being a MMO, then I see that clearly as an attempt to mislead Consumers.

and my answer will always be No to that. The end does not justify the means. So if I object to this marketing strategy the way I say I do then what for me is an acceptable response? To not play the game of course, which is my way of voting with my wallet and saying I disagree with how that Business is marketing it's product (even if the game is great and I miss out on playing it). Do I miss out on potentially a great game? Sure I do, but if I seek to have an integrity at all I must be willing to back up my opinions with action. I disagree with the marketing practice of misrepresenting products just to increase sales and I am acting on my opinion by choosing to not purchase play the product.

If you think it is acceptable for Businesses to mislead their Customers just to sell a product, which is exactly what Game Publishers are doing when they misrepresent their products as something they are not, than I thank you for being honest and telling me upfront what side of the line you are on. I respect you for that even if you will never take me seriously ever again.

You can't change the question because you want to give an answer.  The question is clear and you could have given the obvious answer then explained yourself.  If he asked the question that you created then I would have voted no myself.  Don't change poll questions because you want to answer a certain way that's kinda strange.  So now I wonder how many other people didn't answer the question but created a new question in their mind then answered that instead.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
     Why? Because I don't like being told one thing when the truth is something else.
    You're talking about opinions there, not truth, big difference.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    filmoret said:
    That is a good point. It is my oversight. I will do it again. 
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    If an idiot calls a car green when it's red, then obviously I'm still going to buy the red car if it's a great car at a great price.

Doesn't make them less of an idiot for calling it green.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Pretty sure that second thread's going to get a "duplication" shutdown.
    Pretty sure that second thread's going to get a "duplication" shutdown.
    well, i guess if most here don't mind voting without anonymity, it is fine. We can continue to use this thread. 
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    If i'm interested in an mmo,  and i picked a game because it was advertised as an mmo,  but instead it's a MOBA or a RTS game with a great online feature then no.  

When you target the mmo audience for your game and it turns out your game isn't  an mmo lots of people will leave,  not because the game is bad,  it may even be great,  but it was targeting the wrong audience.

I know lots of people play many types of games,  but for me without the social aspect a game just isn't as fun.

When you target the mmo audience for your game and it turns out your game isn't  an mmo lots of people will leave,  not because the game is bad,  it may even be great,  but it was targeting the wrong audience.

Clearly it does not matter that much. World of Tank is classified as a MMOTPS here, and many other places. It is clearly not massively multiplayer but it is also clearly very successful.

The fact that it is classified as a MMO does not seem to have any averse effects on its success. 
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    If the game is good and keeps my interest then yes i play it even if not a mmo .
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

Clearly it does not matter that much. World of Tank is classified as a MMOTPS here, and many other places. It is clearly not massively multiplayer but it is also clearly very successful.

The fact that it is classified as a MMO does not seem to have any averse effects on its success. 
    Really annoying.

You are missing the point that how good a game is has nothing to do with how a game is classified.

A label and/or classification such as 'MMO' is not used to tell someone if a game will be good or not but to help people quickly and easily understand or find something.

Conflating how good a game with how accurately it has been labelled is dishonest.

You repeatedly and consistently ask and post the same inaccurate and false comments that you MUST be trolling the website now, no one can be that dumb or ignorant or closed minded.

You are missing the point that how good a game is has nothing to do with how a game is classified.

You repeatedly and consistently ask and post the same inaccurate and false comments 
    hmm .. i do not. In fact, isn't that the WHOLE POINT of this poll?

BTW, I voted yes .. obviously indicating that i don't think how a game is classified impact how good it is.

The interesting thing is .. 12% voted "no". I think you should tell THEM that they are missing the point. 

BTW, a "poll" (which is a question) cannot be "false". I am merely asking a question here. 
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Merged the original thread into the duplicate topic with the new poll.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Amana said:
    Merged the original thread into the duplicate topic with the new poll.
    Thank you!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,662
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:

LOL,   12% said no.  That's really bad.  I'll just take that 12% off my poll about the current state of mmorpg's.  Since they are so picky about labels I would never expect a decent review out of one of those voters.

Really annoying.

A label and/or classification such as 'MMO' is not used to tell someone if a game will be good or not but to help people quickly and easily understand or find something.

Conflating how good a game with how accurately it has been labelled is dishonest.

You repeatedly and consistently ask and post the same inaccurate and false comments that you MUST be trolling the website now, no one can be that dumb or ignorant or closed minded.
    Actually, you are missing the point completely, especially when it comes to the "12%" which I fall under.

For a game to be good "for me", it has to be a MMO, and not one such as Destiny that often gets mis-classified as one.

I don't care how "good" it is for other people, if it isn't a massive environment (500+ concurrent players in a persistent world it's not a title that I want to play.  The closer a MMO is to the classic definition of MMORPG, the more likely I will consider it "good"

I know there's tons of "good" games out there in multiple genres, single player, MOBA's, FPS'ers etc, yet from my viewpoint, none of them would be worth playing.

I've been called narrow-minded, elitist, arrogant, a dinosaur for my viewpoint, I don't care, (it's not an insult if it's true guys) but fact is, I only play MMORPG's (good ones at that) and not some other genre.

I consider myself to be a MMORPG "purist", I play them almost exclusively, one at a time, and everyone else "tourists" to the genre.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

For a game to be good "for me", it has to be a MMO, and not one such as Destiny that often gets mis-classified as one.

In this case, the question/poll does NOT apply to you.

The premise is that you find a game "good" (subjective) and that it is mis-classified. So clearly it only applies to people who like games OTHER than the "pure" MMOs.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,792
    If a game is "labeled" as an MMO when it clearly is not, then the game developer/marketer does not deserve my money. If, as an example, the recent Witcher: Wild Hunt game were marketed and sold as an MMO I would call it fraud and not purchase it. Same with a game like Star Wars Battlefront. There are many many games out there and misleading people to think they are something they are not is what most people would call lying, misinformation, fraud and false advertising. If you feel comfortable dealing with companies that blatantly do this, then you deserve the garbage that they will sell you.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,662
    If I found a good MMORPG that somehow got misclassified as a MOBA I'd still play it.

Somehow I don't think that is at in all in line with your agenda for this poll.

BTW, see the name of this site, get lost tourist, we don't care how you did it "up north."  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Kyleran said:

In this case, the question/poll does NOT apply to you.

The premise is that you find a game "good" (subjective) and that it is mis-classified. So clearly it only applies to people who like games OTHER than the "pure" MMOs.

Cute.

Create a poll where you WANT the answer to be YES.

Structure the question so that Anyone who answers 'YES they would play a GOOD game' must obviously not care about labelling/classifying games correctly.

Anyone that answers NO....well the question is not for them.

Point to poll results that overwhelmingly answered YES and pat self on back for leading the charge against correctly labelling games because, of course, the poll shows no one cares.

Really pathetic.

Come on forum moderators this trolling of these boards has been going on for too long now by the OP.