Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play a GOOD game if it is mis-classified as a MMO by YOUR definition? (anonymous)

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I know I never lost sleep over how a game is classified.  If I can play it on my PC and it's fun I'll play it.  If it sucks, I won't.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Call it whatever you want... doesn't bother me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Obviously I and most others don't just play MMOs, so why wouldn't I?

You keep using the same weak sauce strawman trying to link "good" with the MMO classification - CLUE: they're not related.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Well the game has to be good to me. It has to pique my interest. It should speak to my values. Otherwise I probably won't play.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Err yes I would play a good game.

However, I am into roleplaying games and MMOs. Such games are fun to me. While for example card games are horrendously boring or twitch games, well, are also horrendously boring. If your game doesnt actually belong to one of these categories, because you mislabeled it, obviously I will get bored with your game pretty quickly.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357
    edited December 2015
    I would but when I am in a mood for an MMORPG, then I look for an MMORPG. I am old enough to know what I like and have played all types of games and all genres. I dont like ARPGs fore example so an MMOARPG in a MMORPG disguise means that you tricked me and wasted my time. I play pvp games like warthunder or hearthstone and enjoy them but when I am in a mood for an MMORPG I dont want to see them even though they are good games.

Classification and labeling is important. As we get older we gain more experience, our tastes get more defined and we know what we like, also we have less free time which makes it more precious so when you tell me this is a good MMORPG and it turns out its not, but an MMOARPG, which I hate, then you wasted a lot of mt precious time and I will get annoyed.

The next time I see something from you I will not pay attention to what you are saying because you are not precise in the way that you communicate, and I can expect that you will waste my time again.

If you are a gaming site and a genre specific one then you need to try and be precise or you lose a lot of your audience.

You waste my time once, shame on you but if I let you do it again then I am an idiot.

In terms of your definition, if the only thing I know is that the game is an MMO then I will not download it - I dont like MMOARPG, I also dont like MMOFPS,  before I give some of my time I will research to see more. Just MMO is far too generic

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited December 2015
    Pala said:

If you are a gaming site and a genre specific one then you need to try and be precise or you lose a lot of your audience.

You waste my time once, shame on you but if I let you do it again then I am an idiot.

Did you just call yourself an idiot since MMORPG.com clearly do not label MMOs to the liking of you (e.g. WoT is a MMOTPS)? you think it is losing audience?

Isn't it the opposite? They broadened MMO to GAIN audience? Sure, some hardcore may be lost but from what I have seen, it is more likely for those who disagree to rant and complain a lot (hence actually INCREASE the traffic) than just disappear.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,856
    edited December 2015
    What kind of click-bait poll is this?
    What does mislabeling a game have to do with how good it is? Just look at Steam. They have so many game cross classified so that every person can see every loosely connected title. Rather sucks for trying to pinpoint a type of game you might be interested in but it gets the title in front of as many potential buyers as possible. 

None of that has anything to do with how good the games are.

Being able to properly select a game from the right category only helps me to find it in the 1st place......Not decide if I want to play it once I have.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If the game was not as intended ...example a MMORPG then no i would not play it because i want a mmorpg not something else.On that same note,it would not be a good mmorpg because it is not even targeting it's design.

If you can't see it,then look at an extreme to understand how bad the idea is,imagine every best mechanic you like is there but instead of reigning down fireballs it uses basketballs or baseballs,or how about instead of armor your wearing Football gear,if the developer can't get it's game right,then to me personally,don't even bother.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I have been playing games since I was a little kid and long before home computers.  I still play board games and miniature war games.  mmoRPGs are just another type of game to me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Robokapp said:
    What's the definition of "good".
    Since good is subjective ... it is obviously defined by you. 

What does mislabeling a game have to do with how good it is? 
    That is the whole point. It does not. But did you see some of those who said they won't play it if it is mis-classified? 

It is interesting to discover that there exist (not a lot though) people who care more about what a game is called then whether they think it is good. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    If its a game I would play.  But I will be more apprehensive.  I will also not play it if I am looking to play a MMORPG.  Maybe later.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,856

That is the whole point. It does not. But did you see some of those who said they won't play it if it is mis-classified? 

It is interesting to discover that there exist (not a lot though) people who care more about what a game is called then whether they think it is good. 
    And I am telling you that what you are doing is asking if people would drink the most delicious Apple Juice but it was in an Orange Juice carton.

I like both, I'd drink it and enjoy it, if it were put in front of me, but I would probably not buy it in the store if I were looking for Apple Juice.

That is what (I believe) they are telling you. Your poll compares apples to oranges.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

Please stop with this psychotic crusade you are on.

We get it. You have major issues and want everyone to agree with your issues but please see a doctor and stop posting here.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I miss read the poll, and should have voted yes.

I was expecting the poll to read "would miss labeling a good game an MMO prevent you from playing it."

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

And I am telling you that what you are doing is asking if people would drink the most delicious Apple Juice but it was in an Orange Juice carton.

Yes. And interesting some will not drink something they consider delicious, knowingly, just because the carton is mislabeled. 

Isn't that interesting?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    There is no game that is misclassified as an mmo. The only people who misclassify games are those who have nothing to do with the game itself. How they classify the game doesnt matter because they have zero connection to the game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited December 2015
    I'd play any good game, even if it was classified as a banana.
    Sephiroso said:
    There is no game that is misclassified as an mmo. 
    Really. 

So you agree that it is a correct that World of Tank is classified as a MMOTPS?

Not my classification, but hey ... some may be upset you said that here.
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Missclicked  no.  Actually i read the question wrong.  "would you dismiss a game if......"
     Not sure how i did that since it's perfectly clear what the question is.

Anyways,  it got me thinking. If i game is mislabeled as an mmo,  advertised as an mmo,  but realy isn't an mmo, then maybe i picked the right answer.  If it had a f2p version i might keep on playing,  but i certainly wouldn't pay a sub for a singleplayer game,  and if i payed for an mmo and expected to get one,  i would be disapointed if it had nothing to do with an mmo.

Basicly what i'm paying for in an mmo is mostly the group play.  The social aspect. 

The thing is you need to target your core audience,  and if they target mmo players while not beeing an mmo,  then even though it may be a good game some of their targets just isn't interested in games that isn't an mmo,  even though it may be a good game.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited December 2015
    Sephiroso said:
    There is no game that is misclassified as an mmo. 
    Really. 

So you agree that it is a correct that World of Tank is classified as a MMOTPS?

Not my classification, but hey ... some may be upset you said that here.
    World of Tanks appears to be 15v15 team match. So 30 people total interacting with each other at the same time. I suppose whether or not its an mmo depends what the cut off is for "massively" is. Is it massively at 30+? 60+? 100+? When does a game switch from team matches like any FPS in existance to becoming massively like WoW/EQ/GW2/etc?

Personally, i think the cut off should be at 100+. And yes, this does mean i'm renigging on my previous comment. I didn't know WoT's developers themselves classified it as an MMO but sure enough after looking...they do.

They're the first game i've seen that's misclassified themselves as an mmo however. So, count this as the exception not the rule.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited December 2015

I like both, I'd drink it and enjoy it, if it were put in front of me, but I would probably not buy it in the store if I were looking for Apple Juice.

That is what (I believe) they are telling you. Your poll compares apples to oranges.
    I will not drink . I will buy it then sue whose sell me apple juice in Orange juice carton because they lied .
    I wonder if i can do it with MMORPG case . lol .
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Yes, i would definitely play a good game if its a type of game i like. I would not care what anyone calls it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Yep