Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play a GOOD game if it is mis-classified as a MMO by YOUR definition? (anonymous)

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
edited December 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I am curious of how much people care about the label. Obviously there is great discord here about what games should be classified as a MMO. Even classification on this site is being questioned by some. I have a different question. If a game is good (subjective) to you, but website like this, reviewers, and may be even the devs classified it as a MMO, but you think they are wrong ... will you still play the game? Will you be too angry about a game's classification that you will miss out just because how websites call it? NOTE: Now it is anonymous as requested in the other topic.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited December 2015
    I am curious of how much people care about the label. Obviously there is great discord here about what games should be classified as a MMO. Even classification on this site is being questioned by some. I have a different question. If a game is good (subjective) to you, but website like this, reviewers, and may be even the devs classified it as a MMO, but you think they are wrong ... will you still play the game? Will you be too angry about a game's classification that you will miss out just because how websites call it?
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Who the F cares what it's called?!
    Lazzaro said:
    many here, apparently .. didn't you see those who blow a fuse seeing War Thunder is called a MMO?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Maybe.

If a game is said to be an MMO, and I'm looking for an MMO to play, I won't play the game if it appears to be a "bad" MMO.

I might play that game as a single player game at some other point, but not when I feel like playing a MMO. 

However, there's a good chance I may ignore that game completely, due to the negative impression resulting from it being considered "bad" in the first place...
  • iDigDinosiDigDinos Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Yes, I'd still play it. I really don't care what they're labeled as.. The things that bar me from playing games include graphics requirements (which I haven't hit one yet thankfully) or subscription (I try to limit myself to 2 subs per month).

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Lazzaro said:
    See above.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Absolutley! Yes, I tend to harp on about games being labelled incorrectly as MMO's but that doesn't mean I'm attacking the game itself.

So as an example let's look at some games I don't think are MMO's but I play anyway. Diablo 3, World of Tanks, War Thunder, World of Warships, none of which I think are MMO's but I play them most days.

I'm probably fixated on numbers when it comes to massively multiplayer because it applies to the networking side of the games, specifically concurrent connections, and I'm a network engineer by trade. I tend to get offended when a game that hosts 32 players claims to be massively multiplayer, or has that term pushed onto it by people who basically couldn't be arsed to learn the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Lazzaro said:
    many here, apparently .. didn't you see those who blow a fuse seeing War Thunder is called a MMO?

Well, it is an mmo but not a mmoRPG.  The problem is every person who writes MMO when they should write mmoRPG.  Blame those people.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Lazzaro said:
    War Thunder isn't an MMO. Fortunately, what people label things as has nothing to with how much they enjoy a game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,678
    I don't really care what they are called, or if they are good games, I only play MMORPGS based on the classic definition.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited December 2015
    It does not matter to me what genre they set themselves as because if a game is good then that is all that matters. I would not care if they created a tower defense game and called it an mmo.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited December 2015
    Lazzaro said:
    many here, apparently

So Narriuss, you don't care at all if LoL isn't actually an MMO, right?

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    edited December 2015
    If a game is good it is good so I would play it.

But it would annoy the fuck out of me if I had to constantly try and guess what games were actually MMO's because the term used to classify an MMO has been hijacked to get clicks rather then to speed up and simplify the process of finding what I am looking for.

What I want to play an FPS I search for FPS.
    When I want to play an MMO I search for MMO.
    When I want to play an RPG I search for RPG.

The more first time hits I get and the fewer 'well this isn't an MMO, that is annoying' moments the better.

Edit - Oh and your question is pointless. Replace the word 'Good' with 'MMO' and perhaps the question is valid.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited December 2015
    Lazzaro said:
    The OP does because he has a pathological obsession with the topic. It's borderline disturbing at this point.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Without question.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Forgrimm said:
    Lazzaro said:
    The OP does because he has a pathological obsession with the topic. It's borderline disturbing at this point.

Yeah and the problem is he is on the wrong side of the borderline.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Yo WTF is wrong with you people man? LOL.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kiyoris said:

So Narriuss, you don't care at all if LoL isn't actually an MMO, right?

Not really. But it is really fun to point out that superdata is classified as such .. and find out why some here will be so upset. 

BTW, just to be clear ... LoL is classified as a MOBA here, although war thunder, and world of tanks are classified as MMOTPS. 

ng side of the borderline.
    you mean this site. I am not the one who classified world of tanks as a MMOTPS. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited December 2015
    Yes, however, a game news site that habitually mis-labeled things as MMOs I would stop reading for news.  Also, a game that intentionally mis-labels itself as an MMO seems likely to also have a horrible cash shop and bad customer support, since mis-labeling is done for the same marketing reasons as these other two things.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I think it's safe to assume that in order for a game to be *good* one must have already played it, otherwise it isn't *officially* good by one's own standard definition.  If you are playing it, obviously you don't care what people label it, otherwise you wouldn't be playing it.  The only people who get their undies in a bunch over such things are those who are looking for a reason to justify why they aren't playing it... thus it failed the first test... the game was not *good* thus the question is moot.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    It only matters that it's a good game. Or at least entertaining. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I would sue them for all their money, since they are now on the brink of bankruptcy I will use the money to buy the company so that I could classify it correctly. I would use the rest of the money to buy pixel ships from Chris Roberts, share some cocaine with him and after six months I would go to rehab.

Given how much time I spent doing those things there would be no time to play their game.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Of course I would. I only speak out about the labels when individuals use that tactic to their own ends of irritating fans of a specific genre of gaming.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I care how games are classified, but I will play a good game if it's good (though I won't call it by it's misclassified label).

LoL is often labeled as an MMO. I like LoL, but I will always call it a MOBA and never an MMO, cause it's not.