Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a Nutshell: The Real Reasons for Star Citizen Concerns

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
Star Citizen has a Love/Hate relationship with most PC Gamer's including myself.
On one hand, whether you are a long time Chris Roberts fan (me) or new to his games, the man has a way of making things very exciting,  interesting and hard to ignore.
We like what he proposes, promises, and dreams of creating, and get very very excited.
Excited to the point where many of us shell out big time bucks for ships in Star Citizen (me).

Unfortunately, all the hype and excitement for his games, create a very high bar to be met, and expectations are high across the board.
Whenever, there is any kind of set back, negative news, or slow progress with Star Citizen, many and especially myself go into panic mode.
We begin to think about his past games, especially "Freelancer", where for a variety of reasons expectations and promises were not met.
The reasons no longer matter, as most PC Gamer's have gotten very tired of hearing company after company, developer after developer providing excuses as to why their game did not meet expectations.
This includes Chris Roberts...as reputations are quick to materialize and slow to fade if ever, in the PC Gaming Industry.
Thus, when we look at the TON of money people have spent and given to Chris Roberts for Star Citizen we expect results.

The dual edge sword of generating excitement has come back to bite Chris Roberts, as most people  feel they have not seen the results expected from such a HUGE sum of money being made available to him.
Accusations of scams, rip off's, and sport car buying  frenzies abound.
And I have not only bought into these rumors, but have even fed into them myself.
It is hard not to...we all want Chris Roberts and Star Citizen to exceed, but each person has their own standard of what success is, even during the games Alpha.

IMHO, the results of development so far  do not match the huge money ingested, and hence the frustration and anger of many.

If I can give any advice to Chris Roberts, I would tell him to stop the "feature creep" or at least control it, as he can always add features above and beyond what was originally promised later...and just get what he promised finished and/or at least at a better pace of results.
Otherwise, such feature creep creates a carrot and stick impression, that the game even in its most basic and original form will never get done, because someone keeps trying to add stuff, and moreover continue working on ways to get our money instead.

Many will say that people who complain do not know what goes into game development of this scope...that is probably true, but it is not our burden.
All we ask is that you deliver results at a pace at least equal to the amount of energy expended into taking our money.
And so far it seems, that is where most of the games results come from, i.e. the website, system, mechanics, marketing and design to take our money.
I would propose that Chris Roberts has already done enough, maybe too much in that regard, and needs instead  to spend more time providing development results that match not only the amount of money taken in, but exceeds the time, effort and money spent for features that take our money.

I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Comments

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    k
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I dont 'want' Chris Roberts to succeed so not sure about your 'all' statment. To be I am not on the side of him failing either I am just nuetral because I know my play style and I know I likely would not get the game anyway.

also...I have been informed by here that there is no hate on SC. I wonder if an example of hate toward SC can be delivered here 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me