Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen and Gamers with a Poverty Mindset

NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
Full Disclosure - I am a Star Citizen backer and I have purchased over $1,000 in ships (for myself, my wife, and gifts given to gamer friends and family for various special occasions).  I am comfortable spending this amount of money on a game I want to see developed as it's the game I've wanted to play for the last 15 years and no one has made.  I view it the same way I would a PC hardware upgrade or purchase of a TV.  I understand the risks involved but want to be a part of helping this project succeed for myself and others.

I've been struggling to understand some of the underlying causes of the controversy with Star Citizen.  I've seen many arguments against the Star Citizen team and one of the repeated complaints is that they have crowd funded the game from the sell of in game ships at prices some think are too expensive.

Much of the arguments I've read about this seem to express that this is unethical and dishonest because they feel the packages are over priced.  Even news outlets seem to focus on the fact that they have $10,000 and $15,000 packages but seldom mention that they also have packages that include the full PU game and Squadron 42 for $45 and sometime sales for $30.  

I have a friend who has spent over $8000 on the game and for him it's not too much to spend on a hobby based on his disposable income.  He also feels the way I do about the game.  He's wanted something like this for so many years.  I also have several other friends who have spent $60 to $75 on the game and that's the most they are comfortable spending and are looking forward to the game just as much.

I cannot find fault with CIG for allowing those with the financial means to invest more in the game to do so.  I work in a luxury industry myself and whatever my personal finances are, I have learned not to project "what I feel is affordable" onto clients my firm may deal with.  What may seem outrageously expensive to me wouldn't cause someone else to blink an eye before spending.

I know this game appeals to an older audience who grew up playing Chris Robert's earlier games.  Is it the income gap between young gamers and older gamers of financial means that causes this friction?   

Why is it that others feel that this shouldn't be allowed?  Is it a demonstration that some with a more poverty mindset can't accept that spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a game is even conceivable?

Please share your thoughts.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I dont see how one can post a price for something and then someone else call that 'unethical and dishonest '

its like they dont even understand what the word 'dishonest' even means

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    "Poverty mindset" is kind of an inflammatory way to phrase an argument, but closing this because there are already threads about "hate", including one right here on the front page. We don't need a separate thread for every single opinion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.