Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google bribed US politicians for millions to fight Europe.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited December 2015 in Hardware
[mod edit - inappropriate for this forum]
Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    All Hail Google
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Why is this even news ?

It's business as usual for any multinational corporation to do this. Happens in all countries with big corporations.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    spikers14 said:
    All Hail Google
    Pretty much, they have unlimited resources to buy out politicians. It's insane.
    edited December 2015

DMKano said:

Nobody fights google.
    They won't be able to get away with this shady stuff forever, one of these days, probably one day soon, some judge or comission is going to put a stop to it.

It's hurting European business, and it's hurting Americans workers, because Google keeps buying out politicians to push for H1B visas instead so half of India and China can work for them for minimum wage.

Meanwhile Google is making millions on the backs of Europeans and Americans, without paying a dime in taxes since they have tax havens around the world.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Lobbying... OP, don't believe all the bull on the internet. You can change terminology all you want, and the message changes from good to bad and vice-versa. See, lemme change things a little bit:

"Google lobbies US politicians to facilitate its work in the EU by diverging an unfair suite brought against it by people who believe they have the right to hide all their dealings from the prying eyes of the public and their Justice."

Same exact title and situation with different words. But the way I said it, it is not news. Real news follows what an internet meme states: "Some people just want to watch the world burn." If it is not doom and gloom, people pass the news over, hence, no click, no ads, no profit.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Kiyoris said:

DMKano said:

Nobody fights google.
    They won't be able to get away with this shady stuff forever, one of these days, probably one day soon, some judge or comission is going to put a stop to it.

It's hurting European business, and it's hurting Americans workers, because Google keeps buying out politicians to push for H1B visas instead so half of India and China can work for them for minimum wage.

Meanwhile Google is making millions on the backs of Europeans and Americans, without paying a dime in taxes since they have tax havens around the world.
    No, it's really not, not in America at least.  Now that the supreme court has said corporations are people and money is speech they basically have unlimited influence with congress.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its a sad fact that US politicians are put in office by corporate lobbyists to do their bidding.  American politicians are just puppets with the biggest corporations pulling the strings. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Ahhh, legalized bribe, such a enligtening concept.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    OP I don't think you understand whats going on.  Looks like EU is trying to tax Google because people are using their website.  Nothing more nothing less going on here.  So if Google refuses to pay their taxes in EU then you wont be able to access them from your current country.  I should be able to visit a Russian website and they should be able to visit American websites without silly hindrances like this.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    maybe first you should worry about cleaning up shit in your own back yard.
    Tax havens have nothing to do with me. I don't work in politics.
    filmoret said:
    OP I don't think you understand whats going on.  Looks like EU is trying to tax Google because people are using their website. 
    It's an investigation lead by Margrethe Vestager, looking at Android shopping, advertising, competition and the dominance of the Google search engine.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    it called "donations to political parties".  Big difference to something like a bribe, That is something that is illegal in the US. As you may be aware of what the FBI did to FIFA.  Now don't get me wrong, we have been debating the virtues (or the lack of them) of big companies donating so much. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

edited December 2015
    it called "donations to political parties".  Big difference to something like a bribe, That is something that is illegal in the US. As you may be aware of what the FBI did to FIFA.  Now don't get me wrong, we have been debating the virtues (or the lack of them) of big companies donating so much. 
    They're bribes. It's not only political parties, they're buying out university professors, commissioners and FTC members too.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Since you know everything about everything, why did you post this in Hardware?  Confused, yes you are.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

edited December 2015
    Since you know everything about everything, why did you post this in Hardware?  Confused, yes you are.
    All I see is people brainwashed by Google. Instead of replying to the obvious fact they are bribing people, you are blaming the place the thread is posted in. Good golly, crawl back out of the kool aid bucket.

Google could take away every firstborn, and some people would still find a way to derail the accusations and weasel their way in a position which defends Google.

Google doesn't care about you. If you get hit by a car tomorrow or not, they don't give a rat's behind about it. Stop thinking you are getting something in return for defending them, you're not.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    edited December 2015
    I'm European, I can live without Google. Bring it on.

When Google come begging on its knees to get back its European market it'll be too late for them.

Google is only used because it's comfortable, we can develop something else and switch in the blink of an eye.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

edited December 2015
    Same, there is https://www.qwant.com/ in Europe. It's pretty good.

And they just rolled out QWANT Junior, the search engine version that is safe for kids.

https://www.qwantjunior.com/

Kiyoris said:
    They're bribes. It's not only political parties, they're buying out university professors, commissioners and FTC members too.

None of which matters in the least in this case.  If you think the US government wouldn't try and come to the aid of any American corporation receiving this kind of treatment then you're naive.  Bribes matter when corporations are trying to get the government to do things against other corporations or the public not when it comes to foreign nations.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Kiyoris said:
    Same, there is https://www.qwant.com/ in Europe. It's pretty good.

I just switched to Qwant, I actually like it quite better than Google. 

Thanks for bringing it up!

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Kiyoris said:
    All I see is people brainwashed by Google. Instead of replying to the obvious fact they are bribing people, you are blaming the place the thread is posted in. Good golly, crawl back out of the kool aid bucket.

Google could take away every firstborn, and some people would still find a way to derail the accusations and weasel their way in a position which defends Google.

Google doesn't care about you. If you get hit by a car tomorrow or not, they don't give a rat's behind about it. Stop thinking you are getting something in return for defending them, you're not.
    So anyone not in 100% agreement with you is "brainwashed"?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

edited December 2015
    Roin said:
    Kiyoris said:

So anyone not in 100% agreement with you is "brainwashed"?
    Not at all, but if you start going on tangents about where the thread should be posted to deflects evidence, you're brainwashed yes.

What is your position, I notice you upvoted the guy saying "Nobody fights Google". Which sounds like brainwashing language to me.

It sounds more than just brainwashed, it sounds like something mafiosi would say.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    wait I dont understand. I didnt get the memo for what point the lobbyist industry became bribery. I am mean I think its good we see that now but is that Google specific? no

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Kiyoris said:

You do realize the US congress represent US citizens not EU citizens?  They have no obligation to be neutral in this. 

Yes, the US system is horribly corrupt and corporation can spend unlimited amounts of money on campaigns but the irony here is you picked an incident that actually has nothing to do with corruption to try and highlight it.  Those bribes were largely to do with googles conflict with ISPs not anything to do with the EU.  The US congress would be more than happy to come to the aid of any American company facing this kind of situation. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'm confused.  So I can donate money to a US Senator in exchange for him to vote favorably on a law that helps my business and screws over lots of people in his state and that is not a bribe?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited December 2015
    There shouldn't even be incentive for americans to defend IT companies when they skirt the law.

So it's an american company, and you think it helps americans if they cheat?

Let's see if that's true.

The first thing you should look at is if these companies actually hire many americans. If you look at the breakdown, they don't. They hire many people from India and China.

Second. IT wages have stagnated for over a decade.

You might ask yourself. "But IT makes good money right?". Not necessarily, people tend to highlight the high paying jobs, but many people in IT work long hours for minimum wage.

Lots of jobs are done offshore to compress wages even further.

Massive amounts of visas are granted so IT companies don't need to pay "expensive americans".

This discussion has been closed.