Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Devilian

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 5,023
edited December 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageRelease Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Devilian

TheHiveLeader hops back into Devilian for it's North American release. Have his views changed? Probably... Devilian Online is a Free to Play Action MMORPG in the style of Diablo or Torchlight. Take advantage of the unique transformation system to turn your soul into several powerful versions. Fight back evil by unleashing the devil inside you. Hunt down the best gear possible, trade it in the economy, or use it to grow your character in the unique mastery system. For more on Devilian, visi

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited December 2015
    "Have his views changed? Probably... " - when i read that, i already got an idea about what i would see in that clip. And it didn't disappoint.

    Essentially, all that all the negatives people stated about the game where suddenly fun because "i don't care" or " there's worse out there".

    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on

    image
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited December 2015
    Volgore said:
    "Have his views changed? Probably... " - when i read that, i already got an idea about what i would see in that clip. And it didn't disappoint.




    Essentially, all that all the negatives people stated about the game where suddenly fun because "i don't care" or " there's worse out there".








    [mod edit]


    Loving Devilian and I am not a big fan of isometric view mmo or not type games but its grown on me since alpha and really enjoying it even with a few hiccups its fun and seems A LOT of folks are in game and enjoying it. And Hiveleader the billmurphy pet name LOL +1
    Post edited by Amana on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,870
    I agree on the POE comparison tree.
    I cannot stand tree designs but POE does it better than anyone else.

    On the topic of mindless killing,definitely a yay or nay ,i am one who cannot stand that type of combat,likely why i never jumped on the Diablo bandwagon either.

    I also need to see some sort of advancement in gaming,it doesn't have to be the best at anything but should attempt to create some new ideas and improve on others.This game simply takes a simple concept spam kill spam kill and keep rolling forward spam killing.That type of design never flies with me ,although i did enjoy POE for a few weeks just to check out the character builds and tree choices.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,358
    edited December 2015
    Volgore said:
    "Have his views changed? Probably... " - when i read that, i already got an idea about what i would see in that clip. And it didn't disappoint.

    Essentially, all that all the negatives people stated about the game where suddenly fun because "i don't care" or " there's worse out there".

    [mod edit]
    Yeah, that was weird.

    His praises for this game are "yeah, it sucks but I dont care" or "hey, theres worse out there" and "meh".

    Really says a lot about the game when he put more effort into the lame jokes for the review than actually playing the game.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Really says a lot about the game when he put more effort into the lame jokes for the review than actually playing the game.


    Hey, you can read into subtext! Good job...

    Also, as for the lame jokes... HI! I'm TheHiveLeader. Have we met?
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    A review from a site that isn't being paid by Trion to promote the game:

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/17/like-an-afternoon-nap-in-gaming-form-devilian/
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Have you ever seen any of the Hiveleader videos? Jokes are sort ot front and center in all of them.


    Yeah, I don't do reviews. I do joke videos that happen to sometimes contain video game information in them. SOMETIMES.
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    edited December 2015
    A little hint for everyone: If you want to know my personal feelings about whatever game it is my video is covering, look for subtext. "Try the game. It's free-to-play. There's worse ways to spend your time." - Do you think that's a strong recommendation for a game?
  • ArdynArdyn Member UncommonPosts: 9
    It's entertaining for a while, but it lacks certain ARPG aspects that make games like Diablo and Path of Exile. I love getting uniques for example. I love the trading system in PoE and the extensive skill trees.

    The skills trees in Devilian are more there for show than anything else. Basically you go one of three routes and leave out a couple of passives. You get gear sets in every leveling zone, then move on to the next zone to have to start over again until you're 52 and stuck with the last blue set before having to do the raids or PVP for yet another generic set that happens to be purple quality, rather uninspired.

    And yes, "half-assed" about sums up Devilian for me. It has potential, it really does, but not without a couple of drastic changes and additions here and there. I love how it plays, but I hate knowing in advance it won't hold my attention for longer than a few weeks at most.

    Also, having played on EU and witnessed some horrible server issues (resulting in loss of gear and unplayable characters), making Trion having to shut one of the servers down for ~24 hours entirely did not help either. On top of that the client seems to have some stability issues in itself too, crashing about 2 times an hour if I'm unlucky whilst the rest of my games run smoothly across the board.

    Moderately okay game with potential for more (but eh.. probably never realized).
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Athisar said:
    A review from a site that isn't being paid by Trion to promote the game:

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/17/like-an-afternoon-nap-in-gaming-form-devilian/



    His complains are all in the wrong places.

    1st of all bland, uninspired and grind, i thought those words define isometric arpg like diablo or poe or others along the line. well yeah diablo has cinematics and celebrity voice acting but other than that whole game feels like all i gotta do is kill and kill baby!!

    2nd, pointing to cash shop, cash shop in this game is as negligible as path of exile, like path of exile this game also have heavy inventory monetization. well we don't need much inventory right? i mean a game which is basically revolves around killing and looting and getting better gear, keeping shit load of mandatory healing and identification items we sure don't need much inventory space, right? I mean if it is alright for path of exile, it should be alright for devilian right?

    And i could go on more about this "review", it seems this review is uninspired by ..anger for not getting paid?

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Ardyn said:
    It's entertaining for a while, but it lacks certain ARPG aspects that make games like Diablo and Path of Exile. I love getting uniques for example. I love the trading system in PoE and the extensive skill trees.



    The skills trees in Devilian are more there for show than anything else. Basically you go one of three routes and leave out a couple of passives. You get gear sets in every leveling zone, then move on to the next zone to have to start over again until you're 52 and stuck with the last blue set before having to do the raids or PVP for yet another generic set that happens to be purple quality, rather uninspired.



    And yes, "half-assed" about sums up Devilian for me. It has potential, it really does, but not without a couple of drastic changes and additions here and there. I love how it plays, but I hate knowing in advance it won't hold my attention for longer than a few weeks at most.



    Also, having played on EU and witnessed some horrible server issues (resulting in loss of gear and unplayable characters), making Trion having to shut one of the servers down for ~24 hours entirely did not help either. On top of that the client seems to have some stability issues in itself too, crashing about 2 times an hour if I'm unlucky whilst the rest of my games run smoothly across the board.



    Moderately okay game with potential for more (but eh.. probably never realized).


    Your review is quite spot on. But i did like that each area had it's own gear token and gear merchant. Saved me the trouble of getting acceptable gears without spamming dungeons.

    And also,don't expect it to be as "extensive" as PoE when comes to class build, devilian devs seem to like easier road that gives more actual choices of abilities than PoE like choice between 2% damage increase or 1% mp consumption decrease.

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,510
    Yeah the problem with the POE tree is people already figured out the god mode paths and that's all anyone plays. You can find links or utube video's on how to spec them. So while POE skill tree is massive its also useless.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    TheHiveLeader said:
    A little hint for everyone: If you want to know my personal feelings about whatever game it is my video is covering, look for subtext. "Try the game. It's free-to-play. There's worse ways to spend your time." - Do you think that's a strong recommendation for a game?


    Ignore these people, they are butthurt over Trion, butthurt over CIG, butthurt over themepark games not being sandbox. They are butthurt over so many things on so many level that they don't even understand sarcasm anymore.

    On the video : that pet naming was hilarious. Hope bill doesn't get pissed on you.

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Great and funny review as always hiveleader, good luck with the baby :) Also get a vibrating massage chair, it helps baby sleep much faster :)
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Think I might have to give it ago, feel I need to try ARPGs.

    I will say one thing, don't ever mention One Piece online again, it hurt my soul hearing that name. They messed up the potential of that game so much.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,061
    I'd say that about sums up my experience - eh, it sucks, but I don't care. It's cheap entertainment for the moment and sometimes that's good enough.

    Like junk food or fast food - every now and then, sure, you slum it. You aren't proud about it, but it doesn't stop you from doing it again next time.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,677
    Athisar said:
    A review from a site that isn't being paid by Trion to promote the game:

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/17/like-an-afternoon-nap-in-gaming-form-devilian/



    Ohh god, this again?

    Proof please or you paranoid people REALLY need to shut up with this being paid bull$hit. Proof or you are just spouting nonsense and are poisoning this site. Please stay at rockpapershotgun if you think they are more in line with your views ( the only reason you reacted so ridiculously in the first place). Just because you have a different opinion does not make the other wrong, or corrupt. That logic is ridiculous in real life and it is here too.

    All this accusational crap about being paid, makes my blood boil. Words are cheap, facts aren't so I am waiting for your proof.

    OT, fun little game but really not that special to me, back to the new season of PoE.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Game is mindless fun for sure but not enough to hold you for long. Hopefully they release more content soon because there is very little to do.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    edited December 2015
    I like this game.

    What I find naughty though is (even as a pack buyer), some limitations are annoying. Topping this list is the minimal inventory space and more is only available from buying a dex with ingame gold about 150g on my server or instore.
    How about once inventory space is unlocked it is account wide?
    This game may make more revenue if it positioned its subscription and market cheaper. I find it difficult leaving a recurring subscription on an mmoarpg game that costs a little more per month (in the EU) than a triple A theme park mmorpg. This is a little grating.

    If this was a pocket money game then it would stand out from the crowd.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Wicoa said:
    I like this game.

    What I find naughty though is (even as a pack buyer), some limitations are annoying. Topping this list is the minimal inventory space and more is only available from buying a dex with ingame gold about 150g on my server or instore.
    How about once inventory space is unlocked it is account wide?
    This game may make more revenue if it positioned its subscription and market cheaper. I find it difficult leaving a recurring subscription on an mmoarpg game that costs a little more per month (in the EU) than a triple A theme park mmorpg. This is a little grating.

    If this was a pocket money game then it would stand out from the crowd.
    Monetizing inventory space in a game that depends on killing and looting and managing inventory : BEST FUCKING WAY TO MAKE MONEY!!!

    Don't believe me? Try Path of Exile. I mean we don't "NEED" more than the base inventory space, it is not like we will be looting much anyways, right?

    Devilian at the very least gives you 1 free inventory expansion with a quest, 24 slot warehouse expansion through quest and every 2 week as a subscriber we can get 1 free inventory expansion. And you can do dungeons over and over again to have your chance at 8-32 slot warehouse expansion runes.

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    yeah honestly, who wouldnt want a loot collecting pet named Bill Murphy? :)
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited December 2015
    Glad some people are enjoying the game. Though I can relate with those who do not; personally, the game is among my top 5 worst games of the year so far after trying it up to level 30 or so. Though there is certain criteria that needs to be met before I place games on my list, which is why it's there and something far worse isn't on the radar as a candidate. Definitely not able to rate it in a balanced and genuine way when speaking in general terms. Haven't played all there is to play until I just wondered what I was doing with my life by the time I finished the whole travel back in time bit. Which is an emotion that originally inspired me to create the whole "worst" list for myself.

    When it comes to this, I typically have to take a step back and see if I'm just starting to hate Hack n Slash in general. Though I keep on saying to myself that I love it, and frequently play other single player versions and Diablo II (and III when new seasons come out).

    Perhaps I just spoiled my pallet after being allowed to try an open world hack n slash game that is set out to come out soon (of which I won't name as it was a statement in hindsight and not me advertising or comparing another game to this). Maybe I'll look for a fansite to keep me updated on this game on where they go from here. All in all, the game play's okay. Nothing glaringly wrong. Just very few things right for me. Having to turn into a Devilian to get Devilian experience is a tad annoying. Though I'm sure I was just doing it wrong. It turned into me worrying about doing it -- or timing it on boss kills -- rather it it just being a cool "I'm going to F you up" button.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

    Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    edited December 2015
    jesteralways said:

    Wicoa said:
    I like this game.



    What I find naughty though is (even as a pack buyer), some limitations are annoying. Topping this list is the minimal inventory space and more is only available from buying a dex with ingame gold about 150g on my server or instore.


    How about once inventory space is unlocked it is account wide?



    This game may make more revenue if it positioned its subscription and market cheaper. I find it difficult leaving a recurring subscription on an mmoarpg game that costs a little more per month (in the EU) than a triple A theme park mmorpg. This is a little grating.



    If this was a pocket money game then it would stand out from the crowd.



    Monetizing inventory space in a game that depends on killing and looting and managing inventory : BEST FUCKING WAY TO MAKE MONEY!!!

    Don't believe me? Try Path of Exile. I mean we don't "NEED" more than the base inventory space, it is not like we will be looting much anyways, right?

    Devilian at the very least gives you 1 free inventory expansion with a quest, 24 slot warehouse expansion through quest and every 2 week as a subscriber we can get 1 free inventory expansion. And you can do dungeons over and over again to have your chance at 8-32 slot warehouse expansion runes.



    Fair point but where I disagree is if you choose to be a subscriber and support the game. In my opinion and based on experience with other subscription option games, it would be nice to be provided with some store coin per subscription month to help to alleviate this and other elements.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,838
    Tried the game just to find out that it is uninspired, boring and that it feels incredibly cheap. I guess the word I am looking for here is "garbage".

    D2 LoD, D3, and PoE are all superior games, in my opinion. They are not MMOs though.
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Poor,uninspired korean farming game,no wonder that comes from Trion.
Sign In or Register to comment.