Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you are still playing your very first MMORPG?

Who is still subscribed to/playing the first MMORPG they started with? What is it? How long have you been playing it for? And I guess I don't mean if you sub a few times a year to check out new stuff, I mean regularly playing it as one of your main games. Mine was FFXI but I haven't played it ten years so I don't have much to add, but I'd be interested in seeing what other people are still sticking with.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I can't count UO or M59 as my first MMO's because I didn't play them for that long so it would have to be EQ that I really immersed myself into.

Yeah I'm still playing it but not the official version. I'm still playing the Daybreak Games endorsed and completely legal private servers run by Project 1999 which only uses content and game mechanics that were in effect, so far, up to the Velious expansion.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Lineage II and at this moment subscribed to it for an other month (though not overly active playing right now). Started playing in 2005 and since then I've had a rough 6+ years of subscription for the game (and never hit cap :D )
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    An interesting thing happened in EVE the other day, talking to a few corpmates with more than a few years under their belt and both said theybhad never played another MMORPG besides EVE.

I've run into this on multiple occasions in this title and almost no where else.

Anyone else run into these same sort of players in other titles?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited December 2015
    Still play EQ like many other people, the official game. How long, since Velious or something, I forgot what expansion it was on. Probably 12 years or something. The character I play right now was created on morden rasp, the newbee server at the time.

If I log in I can check her date of birth, but I can't be bothered right now.

Other than that I play FFXIV.
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I stopped playing Ultima Online after 2

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I play my first, EverQuest, and i pay for it. The old version though, p99. It'sthe only mmo i play these days.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Ozreth said:
    Who is still subscribed to/playing the first MMORPG they started with? What is it? How long have you been playing it for? And I guess I don't mean if you sub a few times a year to check out new stuff, I mean regularly playing it as one of your main games. Mine was FFXI but I haven't played it ten years so I don't have much to add, but I'd be interested in seeing what other people are still sticking with.
    Legend of Mir is dead- if it was alive i would have been playing it now :)..only private servers are running now and they are crap :( 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Dark Age of Camelot, 14 years now.  Although i usually only log on once or twice a week now, as other games take up more of my time.  If you have never played it, you are truly missing a gem of a game.
    Haroo!
  • TStrokeTStroke Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I would have but ncsoft killed it. Still miss City of Heroes. :( 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    nah ... there are so many new games to play. I probably will never spend any time on games more than 10 years old. 
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    /

FFXI.

It's hardly the same game anymore. There's 12 servers and most of them peak at less than 1000 active online. The game now is mostly a memorial to itself as it sunsets (last content update just happened, less than two years left I'd say).

(BTW, in FFXI, "/" means "I am", because the slash is similarly shaped to a Japanese character that the JP use.) 

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    M59 havn't exactly aged with dignity so no.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Kyleran said:
    An interesting thing happened in EVE the other day, talking to a few corpmates with more than a few years under their belt and both said theybhad never played another MMORPG besides EVE.

I've run into this on multiple occasions in this title and almost no where else.

WOW has a lot of people with same situation.  They tend to visit other games but never play them.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes i still play FFXI.I feel i do not make on a whim decisions, i am usually 90% of the time happy with my purchases.However after 30 or so years i obviously can't play them all but i do still play many.
    My first would have been Ultima and EQ1 but i never stuck around them long enough to call them home.FFXI was the first mmorpg that kept my attention long term.

1999 Unreal Tournament 16 years now ,yep
    Quake even older than that.
    Geesh i still spark up Langrisser 2 and Age of Empires often.
    EQ2 i still play but not as often as i used to
    lol i still play Bandit Kings of Ancient China on Nes.

I even still at least once or twice a year spark up the Serious Sam games.

I go all over the place with genres,i have lots of games i still enjoy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FaelchuFaelchu Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I know I'd still be playing City of Heroes if only... I paid the monthly fee for 8 years. Gladly.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited December 2015
    I still play Everquest. Been on and off since 1999. One thing ive never done is cap a character. Well im not a noob anymore. Im 3-6 months away from getting all the alternate advancement points. Took me a year to go from zero to 15000 now im 5/6 of the way of capping 18000 for the paladin class. Im level capped and in the number 1 raid guild on my server. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
    nah .. my first "MMO" is kingdom of drakkar. I really don't play games with 2D icons technology anymore.
  • Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    My first MMORPG was Tibia and I played it for a good 4-ish years.. probably one of the best times I had with MMORPGs since it captured my imagination. That was probably 10+ years ago.
  • weaslelipsweaslelips Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Still playing DAOC, Since start..best pvp hands down
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited December 2015
    None, I never played beyond the first month of the first MMOs back in late 90s early 00s. Compared to other forms of online gaming at the time MMOs didn't justify the need for a subscription.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:

WOW has a lot of people with same situation.  They tend to visit other games but never play them.
    Not true.
    Over 100+ mil players tried WoW in the past 11 years.
    Basically nearly all the gamers in this world either tried WoW or know what it is.
    Yet WoW has managed to keep less than 5% of all people that tried WoW.
    That's like the worst custumer retention ever.

How come nobody wonders where are all those 12mil subs?
    They began falling with the release of GW2, and soon after that followed SWTOR, then FFXIV and now ESO. WoW didn't even have 2mil subs in the West Q3 2015, and for sure won't have 1mil till the next expansion launches. Those East subs are nothing but a marketing tool.

All those MMOs listed above have multiple million active players, some are probably even close to 5mil today (that's without using chinese time cards to boost the numbers).
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I might be playing UO if the official service would go B2P or F2P (with Freemium for housing, etc.)
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Kyleran said:

Yes, I also had many veterans in my corp whom haven't touched another MMORPG. Tbh, many of them didn't know what the heck was an MMORPG till a few years ago :)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:

Yes, I also had many veterans in my corp whom haven't touched another MMORPG. Tbh, many of them didn't know what the heck was an MMORPG till a few years ago :)
    One of the guys in the Corp i am in, doesn't even play other games, let alone MMO's, i put it down to him being Australian :p
    Eve isn't my first MMO, that would probably be Legends of Kesmai, but its the only MMO i've played for over a decade =)

Kyleran said:

Nope. People i know play more than one game.