Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the game today

RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
I played AoC a bit after the launch and I got my barbarian to level 40-something. Can't remember why I quit. I've been considering to check the game again but would like to know a few things before downloading and installing the client.

1. How's the population? Enough people to team with to do low-mid level dungeons? (I will roll a new character from scratch)
2. Expansions/DLCs they have added after the base game and how to get them?
3. What kind of cash shop? "In-your-face" or more subtle kind of?

Comments

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    edited December 2015
    1. With patience and/or luck while playing the prime hours you can get to do most or all of the dungeons. Some are more popular than others. No guarantees :). At max level there is a lot of grouping being done, no problems there.
    2. There is the expansion, Rise of the Godslayer. Once you lvl cap it is almost mandatory (provides alternate advancement after level cap, grants access to the most played max level dungeons and raids in the game - where the best gear is). To play it you need to buy it from the store AND keep a running subscription. There are a few DLCs but you can skip them all if you want to - plenty of game to play without them and not having them won't impact you negatively.
    3. I think the cash shop is very unintrusive. You can get mounts, expanded inventory and other useful stuff but nothing you really need or can't get normally without too much hassle.

4. (you didn't ask but I think the F2P should be mentioned) F2P: gold limit 10g, not a problem while levelling unless making and hoarding money is your prime objective. Can't use all chat channels, can't send private tells (quite bothersome if you want to form PUGs). Can't play the expansion. Can't do some of the levelcap dungeons and raids. Don't get the tokens rewarded to subscribers (used to buy nifty stuff such as inventory space and fast travel locations)

I suggest starting out F2P and then start subscribing later if you like it.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Its Funcom let the Buyer Beware !
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nice post User.  I'd add:
    2. "how to get them" from the store through FC points. Based on when you purchase the points, they're around 10-13 $/Euro. However, as User wrote, for using Godslayer you also need to maintain the subscription (or buying passes from the store... if you play more than 2 weeks, it's cheaper to pay the sub for a month than getting the pass).
    DLCs can skipped, but Turan is nice to have if you plan to level up with questing and not with daily grind. At the end, the usual "mmo endgame treadmill" it's good to have Godslayer if you're fine with raid grinding :wink: 

3. shop is barely there, at login it pops up with the latest sales, after that you can forget it's there. So, at first "in your face", then it's gone.

4. the two "main" restrictions are the 10 gold limit, and the limited inventory / trader place. The latter can unlocked through the store, the gold limit is fixed. If you're not a hoarder and/or like to "play the market" with crafting and buying/selling, both limits are mostly fine during leveling. At the endgame however, both are fairly limiting.

I agree with User, I too used to suggest to play it through as free, and then you can decide for yourself whether you like it enough or not, for a subscription. Since at the end, AoC is still more like a p2p game - but the leveling is pretty much free, and it's great.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Still not worth it. The Secret World gets all the attention so would be better spending money there.

AOC has very low population and is still not worth the monthly fee. I am waiting for it to turn in to B2P model like TSW with a good fleshed out cash shop and i will happily spend my money on it till then TSW is best Funcom game to play.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Still not worth it. The Secret World gets all the attention so would be better spending money there.

AOC has very low population and is still not worth the monthly fee. I am waiting for it to turn in to B2P model like TSW with a good fleshed out cash shop and i will happily spend my money on it till then TSW is best Funcom game to play.
    I don't think AoC will ever become B2P. The game is too old to reform itself for the second time (from P2P to F2P to B2P). Not to mention there are still hundreds of people who pay monthly for this game.
    Game was released in 2008 - it won't suddenly get a surge of new people. That was proven after F2P transition. Or at least that they won't stay even for free.
    Seemingly employees keep getting cut from the project as well - game is what it is and that is pretty much all it will ever be at this point.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Elsabolts said:
    Its Funcom let the Buyer Beware !
    These days Funcom is not even a bad company anymore in comparison... because of Trion.
  • RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Bigdaddyx said:

I have played TSW and didn't like it that much. I'm also a fan of Robert E. Howard so lore wise I prefer AoC. And the best Funcom game was Anarchy Online of course  =)

It's unfortunate if the population is too low. I'd like to play in groups and feel I'm playing a MMO not a single player game. Maybe I just pass this game.
  • miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    What happened to AOC for it too fall under the radar like this , i dont remember it being such a bad game 
    Bigdaddyx said:

I have played TSW and didn't like it that much. I'm also a fan of Robert E. Howard so lore wise I prefer AoC. And the best Funcom game was Anarchy Online of course  =)

It's unfortunate if the population is too low. I'd like to play in groups and feel I'm playing a MMO not a single player game. Maybe I just pass this game.
    Best FC game was The Longest Journey and it's not even close.
    edited December 2015
    micona said:
    What happened to AOC for it too fall under the radar like this , i dont remember it being such a bad game 
    It was released in 2008. Then remade into a F2P a few years later. Nothing ever attracted the fanbase that bought it (back) in the first place. F2P was entirely pointless.
    Now it's a small niche game run by a company, that needs financial help and they keep skimming developers from it to fund The Secret World - another flop along with Lego Online.
    It is quite sad.
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I think that Funcom has always been chasing the dragon when it comes to MMOs and have always been in too much of a hurry - AO was left behind in favour of AoC, which was removed from the spotlight in favour of TSW, which was hurt when resources were steered towards the Lego game...

All of their MMOs (except the Lego one which was totally doomed it seems) would have been better off with more development done before launch and more development and marketing done after launch. What would AoC had been today if more work had been done on it before launch, if it got a bigger dev team post-launch and more marketing? If the expansion had NOT been focused on expanding the market to Asia (which it failed to do)?

From my view, Funcom has been trying hard to GO BIG, always reaching for something new at the expense of what they already have.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Downloading to play again after a break of several years. What changes have been made since like 2012 or so? Anything big?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    User836 said:
     There is the expansion, Rise of the Godslayer.  To play it you need to buy it from the store AND keep a running subscription. 

No longer true.

This was all changed last month finally.  You no longer need to have a sub to play Rise of the Godslayer.  It's now just like any other games where once you buy the content you own it and can play it anytime no matter if you have a sub or are a F2p player.

As to the OP questions; Pop is pretty good.  Especially if you're going to start a new character.  Make friends in Tortage, maybe join a guild and you shouldn't lack for others to help you down the road.

In addition to Rise of the Godslayer (expansion), there are 2 seperate zone packs; Turan provides you an alternate lvl 50 to 70 zone which is pretty nice.  The other Vanir something is small and not very cost effective.

There were other F2p changes besides the Godslayer change; there are now more open dungeons for F2p types and a few other nice things.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Will there be any new zones added?