Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would there be demand for SWG remake?

SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
So many people seem to like vanilla SWG....is it a vocal minority or is there actually a viable market for SWG....made pretty much just like the original...updated graphics, of course....but same design/features/gameplay.  I feel like companies see a game that failed and then won't try to make anything like it again.  I bet a star wars sandbox very similar to the original swg would be more popular today than it was back when swg first dropped.

Comments

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Not to mention....SWG dropped before WoW spread MMOs to the mainstream...now that MMOs are so popular I bet a re hash of SWG would do well....
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    It would, but I think folks would want to see PVP improved -- move like ESO or GW's (but no changes to SWG vanilla classe skills -- at least not much).  Resource gathering tied in with crafting more uniques also needs more inventiveness;  Other than that, if you publish it I'd subscribe.

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Would be nice! I gave up along time ago on the emulators. WAY too much drama among the devs

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Slukjan said:
    Not to mention....SWG dropped before WoW spread MMOs to the mainstream...now that MMOs are so popular EA bet that SWTOR would do well....

• khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    You realize that you're asking the vocal minority, so you probably won't get an accurate response. That being said, I do think there is still a high demand for games like SWG.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I would not bet money on it but again, if someone else want to, be my guess. 
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Even at it's peak it only had 250k subscribers and that didn't last long.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Probably not

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    SWG really was not that popular(numbers-wise) when it existed.  That's the thing to remember here.  That's probably also why they tried to revamp it and ended up chasing away the small playerbase they did have.

The SWG fans are a small group, in reality, just extremely loud and rabid. 

It's hard to say how it would be received in today's market.  Sandbox-approach is a pretty popular thing over the last couple years.  And, with the new Star Wars films and advertising being a big thing, now would be the time when it would have had the most successful chance, imo.

That said, sandbox games don't seem to retain as many players as the more themepark games, so I still don't think it would storm the market or anything.

It also depends how well the new movies perform.  They could make or break any new SW-based stuff.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    SWG is the greatest MMORPG ever developed and delivered after that is Ultima Online and sadly I have to say World of Warcraft. They all had their downfalls from inside, which means if anyone can destroy an awesome product is those who run it and how they continue to maintain it.

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEE. It was a great game. It was failing even before SoE pk'd it though.  Now if by demand you are asking is there a small niche market that would be happy to see a modernized version of the game with similar systems created then yes there is that. I mean suckers are still giving the Repopulation guy cash and it's been evident for 3+ years that game will never, EVER, happen in a realistic sense where a quality product is delivered.  So in that sense yes there is, but no really there is not any DEMAND for it.
    Kabaal said:
    yeh .. i don't think any sane devs will do a modern version of that.

They are much better off doing a jedi centric action game. Heck, any decent action game in the SW universe probably will do much better than an updated SWG. 
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited December 2015

What you'll find interesting is how most who disagrees with my statement above will fall short to name other MMORPG that delivered more than these 3 MMORPG's have.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    If my instinct is correct, there would be more of a demand to not play SWG than to play SWG.  This game has the strange distinction of having more people AFKing than actually doing things.  And if SWG were to come back, provision would have to be made to get AFKing out of the thing.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    No... I would not like to see a revival of SWG. It was a broken buggy mess that people exploited in to the ground at every turn. 

Now with that said what i could go for is a game with that kind of social system. Their entertainer class is still pretty much one of a kind. 

But not even the original devs them self knew what to do with them content wise... So they pretty much ended the game with the same set of stuff they started with. There was exactly 0 PvE content for them and while some sport hard wood from reciving abuse and slurs all day long. Most entertainer i got to know quit due to the down right shit attitude most people had towards us. That and that most people got a ent buff bot to do the "deeds". 

So.. there is pretty much nothing in that game i would put in to a game as it was. But it is a good source for exmaple of social gameplay... and how not to do it. 

This have been a good conversation

Kabaal said:
    Keep in mind that, for that time, that was a very successful MMO.

WoW made MMOs mainstream, which brought in millions more players. They did this by dumbing down gameplay to make it more accessible to the masses, which has lead to the piles of high fantasy, hand-holding clones that plague the market today.

So yeah, it "only" had 250k users, but that was pretty much the entire MMO market at the time.

So yeah, it "only" had 250k users, but that was pretty much the entire MMO market at the time.

Not really... But it was cute of you to say it.

It was considers a success tho, in that you are right. To bad they did not have the retention needed nor had any way to stay current once the desire of the market shifted. 

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I do like the idea that my richest character had never equipped a weapon. Most people can't make their own fun though. Need hand holding and roller coaster rails.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Well the boat sailed on SWG quite a while ago. Most of the people who played back when it was good aren't even around anymore. Before SoE pulled the plug on the servers there was always hope that they would issue a magic patch that would make everything right again. Sadly that magic patch never happened and severs have been shut for almost 4 years now. The dream is over.
    edited December 2015
    tawess said:

It was considers a success tho, in that you are right. To bad they did not have the retention needed nor had any way to stay current once the desire of the market shifted. 

Golly thanks. And you're so full of knowledge.

Ultima Online had approximately 250k users.
    Everquest had around 300k.
    At it's peak, Asheron's Call had 120k.

So yeah, that was the size of the market. But thanks for your bedazzling, if not slightly condescending insight.

So yeah, that was the size of the market. But thanks for your bedazzling insight.

Nah... what you are trying to say is that 250K was the average sub numbers for a top line game... But as we know that was not really true either... As Blizzard would prove... The market in fact was massive and pretty much untapped. =P 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    You've already played it... that's pretty much the death knell to any MMO these days... too familiar.

It's like Blizzard putting out WoW 2.0 with the latest graphics engine et al but essentially the same formula...

Hell I have old games I love to play but they are ghost towns now... if the game was revamped to lure everyone back, it wouldn't be the game I fell in love with playing... because it was made over 20 years ago and 20 years ago, it was a different time.  You wouldn't of had one iota of interest in it if it were released today.  It's just the way things are.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited December 2015
    tawess said:

So yeah, that was the size of the market. But thanks for your bedazzling, if not slightly condescending insight.
    Actually the last reported subscription numbers for EQ were given as more than 430k players on 1/14/2004. Which was a decrease from it's high reported on 09/25/2003 (450k) Kinda trumps your point doesn't it?

tawess said:

Actually the last reported subscription numbers for EQ were given as more than 430k players on 1/14/2004. Which was a decrease from it's high reported on 09/25/2003 (450k) Kinda trumps your point doesn't it?
    Let's actually look at data. Take 2004 ... the market includes FFXI (500k), EQ(425k), LOTRO (300k), DAoC (250k), UO (225k) and Eve (<50k). 

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Im the biggest SWG fan here but i would not play it again unless alot of bugs were fixed....