Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since everyone is an mmo armchair general. Through the info given to us, why will EQNext fail hard?

SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
Serious discussion, no because of preferences. No because im a fanboi of other company. No because of i hate SOE/Daybreak.

Is it the mulit-classing? Unfamiliar territory? AI? Trinity?

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I think it stands a fair chance of failing and the only reason I say that is because of the buyout. I think it no longer has the budget it used to have and that means things will get cut, things that would have made it ground breaking.

I could be wrong, I hope I am anyway, but I just get the feeling that when it does arrive it's going to be just another generic F2P MMO lite re-hash.

That and action combat, but this appears to be particularly poor action combat from what people have already seen in Landmark. If the combat isn't engaging it's doomed from day 1.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Oh, the guessing game.  I roll 1d20......result = 1. Critical Failure....I guess that means it won't release.  haha
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I think the most worrying aspect about this game is it had such a flip flopping birth, it was one thing then another, it was grossly understaffed and under funded at one point, then it was bought out.
    I think that a lot of people that were looking forward to this should be a little concerned,  I myself have  used the Landmark program for 3 months and it also raised some concerns about how EQN will function.

Dont get be wrong i,m not a negative nelly by nature and support in most thing a wait till release position, but yeah I aint filled with confidence at this point with the evidence at hand .  

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    kruler said:
    I think the most worrying aspect about this game is it had such a flip flopping birth, it was one thing then another, it was grossly understaffed and under funded at one point, then it was bought out.

All of these things.

I think they are still flip flopping. Beyond all the other obvious and aforementioned problems, they also dropped storybricks for their AI because I think they came to the conclusion that dynamic content on the scale that they were projecting was unmanageable. My guess is they realized the sheer amount of decisions/coding as well as dialogue that would have to be crafted to make the game seem truly dynamic was just way beyond the scope of any gaming company, let alone SOE/Daybreak.

The Dynamic MMO is unrealistic at this point, and something of a white whale.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2015
    Because SoE/Daybreak don't have a strong management team, simple.
    They lost touch with their player base many years ago and never recovered.

If people dig my posts of 4-5 years ago, I predicted that Smedley would bring SoE to its knees, and that's exactly what happened.
    No, I don't have the crystal ball, I just apply some common business sense, though people think I am just a hater.
    The thing is I actually care about MMOs and the companies that make them and wish them all to succeed, but for years now the industry has been blind, and that drives me crazy.

A succesful game needs a company that take bold and strong decision, Daybreak unfortunately doesn't have it.
    In the last 5-6 years they chose to follow others rather than lead the pack.
    They made Freerealm when Farmville was popular, then they made Landmark to get a slice of the Minecraft market, lastly they thought that making a Day Z clone would be a good idea.
    In between they made DCUO (There was a time when Superheroes MMO seemed to be the way to go but it was just a fad) and Planetside 2 which was probably the only game that made sense, though never popular but even the original wasn't that popular.
    So they made 5 games trying to chase the quick dollar while all of the time all the player base was asking was for a real EQ successor, which business wise should have been actually a priority (cashing in popular IPs is the rule number one of business)

So it is not so much the design in itself, it is the inability from Daybreak to make bold decision that tells me that EQN, if it will ever be made, won't be great.
    Speaking specifically of EQNext design, technically speaking the design is a mess, it is a mix and match of popular features which if taken separately are actually good feature but when thrown together in the same cauldron do not quite mix well.
    The graphic is really not EQ, that alone would kill the game, it is just not immersive, if you alienate the core player base, your game has already a foot in the grave.
    Other features like the Voxel technology are just gimmicks, as Landmark proved, this kind of stuff are short lived and it doesn't take long before people gets bored.

EQNext needs to be the spiritual successor of EQ , it won't be the next WoW, but  a real EQ successor could be a very profitable game if done properly, keeping the same spirit of the original, without too many compromises, it is risky, and that's a bold decision to make.
    Daybreak is just not able to take that bold decision.

BTW I am currently a Daybreak customers since I am subscribed to EQ2

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited December 2015
    On paper, the design sounds too good to be true and if they keep the same tune, but can't deliver, it will flop or at least not make any significance in the already bleeding mmorpg genre.

Indies are picking up the pieces after the WoW Clone Wars. Niche, specialized games are the future.

EQN sounds like the last "due it all, plus voxels, plus we'll wash your cash" type of game.

For it to be overly successful, will need to hit everything at a quality level. Not "we'll add smart AI down the road, but in the meantime, give us money."

The mixture of popular parts of multiple games/genres can work and I'm sure there are plenty out there that would flock to the game if it is playable. Those that don't want so much of everything will stick to the niche games.

For me, the AI is linchpin. If they can't pull it off, they'll have another okay mmorgp for people to derp around in for a time. Being F2P (if it is), they'll keep customers and cash flowing for a while, but I wouldn't expect a top notch quality experience.

From what they've shown of Landmark, if they keep the same sort of very casual friendly experience, probably will help popularity (We all get a car!), but won't keep the grumpy gamers from grumbling.

I have ZERO faith in DB/SOE as a company as they have a history of very poor releases, screwing up games with updates, and being late to the party. Really don't see a lot of focus with EQN (no leader) and overall, won't be surprised if it goes the way of most mmorpgs from the last 10 years.

With that said, I want EQN to succeed. We need more quality games that step away from the pack.

You used Wildstar in your other thread and it is an example of a pretty decent game that people claimed they wanted, but simply not meeting expectations. Barely played in beta, but I assume it wasn't "better" than WoW for those that wanted WoW 2.0 or maybe was too much like it and the nostalgia wore off quickly.

A game has to provide endless entertainment and a reason to keep coming back. Why should someone play EQN over any other game? If the devs can answer that not only in words but with an actual product, it will do well. 
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Everyone's standards are too high. And don't come at me with WoW is so great garbage. It is a mediocre experience with a full set of world class features and exclusiveness bought by a billion dollar a year influx. EQ will always be superior in gameplay for anyone who played has MUD's the original mmorpg. EQNext will deliver the next generation of this. Not WoW. Not even WoW 2 (Lol....). Time to hop on into the future of this genre. Come alone, if you have to. There will be enough people  to sastify your mmorpg cravings. It will be tight nit. I get it from EQ i will get it from EQNext. Let's make this the future...
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    In order to fail, it would have to launch first. The way things are developing, it still has to RISE to the level of failure =)
     W...aaagh?
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    It wont fail...because it will NEVER release.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Who says it will do anything of the sort? Just because you say it doesn't make it true. 
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited December 2015
    Protracted development, resulting in failed expectations.

A.K.A. "You'll poop your pants."
  • SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    man....the graphics alone proved how out of touch SOE is with their customers.  i don't think any EQ fans were pleased with the cartoony graphics.  i was actually offended that SOE thought cartoony was the best way to go.  Any classic EQ fan would prolly agree with me. Just terrible decision making.

It seemed soe cared not for their hardcore fans, as EQnext looked to have almost nothing in common with the beloved classic EQ. They literally alienated their biggest supporters in hopes of pleasing the masses...making a game for the lowest common denominator. Such a shame....soe just has a terrible track record...Vanguard (should have gone free to play YEARS ago...not just recently)...SWG debacle....there game designs and decisions seem to always stem from "how can we make the most money"...even if it means disappointing the hardcore followers.  try making a game people will love to play.....but they seem to want to make games with only the cash bottom line as the guiding factor.
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Serious discussion, no because of preferences. No because im a fanboi of other company. No because of i hate SOE/Daybreak.

Is it the mulit-classing? Unfamiliar territory? AI? Trinity?
    At least 60% of the issues are due to multi-classing.  40% is a mix of crap; Regardless that it makes no sense -- another 100% is that I do not trust anyone involved.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    The death of most games in development is a loss of momentum.. Time goes by and the original concept starts to become less relevant as the market around the development evolves.  This will be the death of EQ Next.  They have already scrapped designs once for this reason... They will stagnate and die...

Unfortunate because I really wanted to see this succeed.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    My #1 fear is that it will have insufficient content at launch. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I'm assuming it will never launch, that way if it does im pleasantly surprised and if it doesn't...well then it met my expectations.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Admiral Mack here from the 51st Armchair Regiment reporting for duty!

We know SOE was losing money and we know EQnext was their hail mary.  I can not see a company like Daybreak buying them and NOT releasing this game.  However, like all SOE games, I predict it will not impress the majority of users.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Everyone's standards are too high. And don't come at me with WoW is so great garbage. It is a mediocre experience with a full set of world class features and exclusiveness bought by a billion dollar a year influx. EQ will always be superior in gameplay for anyone who played has MUD's the original mmorpg. EQNext will deliver the next generation of this. Not WoW. Not even WoW 2 (Lol....). Time to hop on into the future of this genre. Come alone, if you have to. There will be enough people  to sastify your mmorpg cravings. It will be tight nit. I get it from EQ i will get it from EQNext. Let's make this the future...
    EQ 1999, EQ 2003, EQ 2015? EQ is tossed around a lot but isn't a constant. Same goes for WoW and any game out for a decent chunk of time.

Actually didn't give up on MUDs instantly after hopping in EQ because I didn't find it that amazing, eventually I gave in as my friends all moved on. Then on to DAoC, WoW, and so many others.

I hope EQN can bring PVE mmos into the next generation as it looks like every upcoming game is either PVP focused or just another "oldschool" or Eastern grinder without much innovation. Then again I prefer to have PVP in my games so if it doesn't break the mold, oh well. Not going to play another mindless AI game.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Talonsin said:
    Admiral Mack here from the 51st Armchair Regiment reporting for duty!

We know SOE was losing money and we know EQnext was their hail mary.  I can not see a company like Daybreak buying them and NOT releasing this game.  However, like all SOE games, I predict it will not impress the majority of users.
    Daybreak didn't buy SOE. SOE renamed themselves to Daybreak once an equity firm (Columbus Nova) took ownership of SOE from Sony and made them an independent developer.
    edited December 2015
    DMKano said:
    Why EQN is in deep doodoo

- it's in 4th iteration internally - they have spent 10s of millions of dollars on this and no game
    - major features have been scaled back or cut since Dave G left
    - staff has been cut, budget reduced
    - they are under increased pressure to get it done with less budget, less features and less development - this is not good
    - morale is not good at Daybreak  (from internal sources, more devs are leaving)

the "poop your pants" game wont happen.

It doesn't need to have a WoW style budget to suceed in the mmorpg market. If they make it any resemblance to the original EQ. I mean the CR's, the challenge, the learn from your mistakes people will keep coming back for more. WoW is already the F150 of the mmo but that doesn't stop people from buying hybrid cars. There is a market for the game Everquest brings. Which is high fantasy dnd. The reason people don't play EQ is because its a 16 year old game. Games like H1Z1 which sold 2 million copies in pre-alpha prove that anything can be a success. All this needs to do is release. If you build it, they will come. video related.

Most of the stuff you described are developement issues. If you read my other thread the original EQ was in the same type of trouble too. But look, games' have been through worse and this one with procedural generated content shouldnt be that hard of a tackle. SOE knows how to make an mmo and if you are caught up with its fail or not read my first paragraph.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    biggest reason i know it flop?  the time it take too release this game, their be others that do the same an better.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I don't think it will 'fail' because it will never be released in the first place.  I wouldn't be surprised if Daybreak sells the EQ franchise and then we find out they stop developing EQNext months ago.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    One you saw Smedley leave and start talking about a new mmo that he and his new studio are making you knew it was the nail in the coffin. Sorry folks but this one's the dead bird in the street. Game over man! Game Over!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

jimmywolf said:
    biggest reason i know it flop?  the time it take too release this game, their be others that do the same an better.
    the concepts should live forever in the mmorpg. They reimagined the birth of the genre that took place in 1999 and brought 2034 into 2016. This is living breathing AI dynamic world they you could destroy stuff in. And you're telling me others can do that better? I might laugh at how uninformed you are but i know not a lot of people know about this game neither. Tell me, which company will do THAT better?? Noones even thought of it and EQNext DEVELOPED that in 2009. You think this is a WoW clone ? You better pray this never releases so we don't shove those ironic words back into your mouth. 

SO other games will have 40+ classes at launch? recticle action combat? Mobs that move from area to area? You are sadly uninformed about this game. The other games coming out don't even touch what this game innovates and brings new to the table. And those games will die like WoW will when people wake up and realize theyve been playing the same game for 16+ years. EQNext is the revolution thats waiting to happen. It will save the genre or kill it for people who've only known WoW in their lives. Im hoping for the former...
    edited December 2015

Maquiame said:
    One you saw Smedley leave and start talking about a new mmo that he and his new studio are making you knew it was the nail in the coffin. Sorry folks but this one's the dead bird in the street. Game over man! Game Over!

Smedly leaving means he got forced to resigned from his job. That doesnt mean he left willingly.