Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your thoughts on this "Top 10 Reasons MMORPG's Die" break down?

13»

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,316
    My reasons for leaving this genre and why it is what it is now.

1.)  -  If I want a leveless OW I have to deal with FFA.

2.) -  I'm tired of a tread mill linear leveling and want more of a building and crafting type play.

3.) - I no longer have time to commit to development of my own and KS is killing the market.

4.) -  Single player games are better.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    ste2000 said:

How do you know it will pick up pace again?

It does not have to die, but it also does not have to rise again. It can just wallow in insignificance. Look at fighting games .. they are no longer as popular as their hey day (SF2? the first few Mortal Kombat?) and while there are still new games, they never recover their popularity. Same is true for point-n-click adventures. 

Dying is a strong word, and not accurate. But declining is accurate, and it is not clear (one way or another) that classical style MMORPGs will ever approach its popularity ever again. 
    Wallow in insignificance is the same as dying.
    Fighting games are virtually dead.

MMORPG is not just a fad though.
    Playing online is what people want, and playing RPGs online is not going to become suddenly unpopular.
    RPG have a solid history in videogaming and as long as they remain popular as single player games, they will remain popular as online games.

You know they said the RPGs were dead so many times, FPS would kill them off they said, that was when Doom and its clones came out.
    Then Baldurs gate came out, Neverwinter came out, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect and a plethora of other RPGs, all very succesful.
    Guess what, FPS might be the biggest market (Actually Sports are) but RPGs are not far behind, publishers are still very keen in making RPGs, despite all the doom and gloom of 20 years ago.
    And as long as people want to play RPGs, I don't see why they wouldn't want to play Massive Online RPGs.

If you think MMORPG will slip into oblivion, you are mistaken.
    Again the genre is over saturated with games and it needs a break, it can't sustain all of those titles, MOBAs are a better investment right now.......that's until it gets bloated too.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    ste2000 said:

MMORPG is not just a fad though.
    Playing online is what people want, and playing RPGs online is not going to become suddenly unpopular.

You don't need the MMO part for online RPGs. How many MMORPGs are anywhere close to the popularity of Diablo 3? or Borderlands 1 & 2?