Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Business Model

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2015
    The modified quote from Jurassic Park
    "Players will find a way"
    They will find the holes you didn't and therefore didn't plug. The more creative a business model gets, the more creative the exploits. Developers have a vision of how this thing is supposed to go, I have every bit of faith and confidence in the player base that they will not let that happen the way the Developers want. They will reverse engineer, push prod data mine and do whatever it takes to find what the developers didn't.  Online gaming business models is probably the biggest shining example for K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. If developers think they can stay ahead of players by being creative, they are delusional.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I personally think this model is genius. The game is designed in a way that everyone can be everything if they so choose to, until they die of course. And even when they die they leave portion of their power for their next character, so that the new one can achieve previous character's power level faster. You can buy 1 character and play for a year before your character ages and dies if you are lucky or if you are unlucky then you are done in a month. So with careful planning you can actually play the game without spending more than 100$ per year, that is less than typical 1 year sub fee. I think it is a very good model.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Zarriya said:
    I was excitedly following the development of the game until I heard about the business model.  I actually like paying per soul - I have no problem with that, in fact I feel it is novel and makes sense.  The part that drove me away was their approach to gold farming:

From their FAQ:

• Q. What about gold farming?
    • We recognize that not all players can (or want to) spend the same amount of time per week farming gold for that special armor. We also recognize some people have a ton of free time, but not a lot of money. We're attempting to equalize this by having an in-game exchange market.

To me this says real life money will influence the game and that is not a game I want want to be a part of then.  I have the money - I would willing pay more than the standard 15/month - however when people can buy in game currency I am out.

Posting here in case the developers would like this feedback.
    Without a developer implemented real money trading system people will just look for other source, it was same back in the age of UO, it just grown drastically bigger now since the genre has grown bigger. This trading system is mandatory and necessary if the devs don't want their game economy becoming slaves to 3rd party sources.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Zarriya said:
    I was excitedly following the development of the game until I heard about the business model.  I actually like paying per soul - I have no problem with that, in fact I feel it is novel and makes sense.  The part that drove me away was their approach to gold farming:

From their FAQ:

• We recognize that not all players can (or want to) spend the same amount of time per week farming gold for that special armor. We also recognize some people have a ton of free time, but not a lot of money. We're attempting to equalize this by having an in-game exchange market.

To me this says real life money will influence the game and that is not a game I want want to be a part of then.  I have the money - I would willing pay more than the standard 15/month - however when people can buy in game currency I am out.

Without a developer implemented real money trading system people will just look for other source, it was same back in the age of UO, it just grown drastically bigger now since the genre has grown bigger. This trading system is mandatory and necessary if the devs don't want their game economy becoming slaves to 3rd party sources.

or, imho, they find better ways to deal with this problem.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

All of the attempts to find a better way has, led to either harming the community with no trading, or just plain failed to work.   I dont really like rmt either, but i dont have a better solution 
    st4t1ck said:
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

All of the attempts to find a better way has, led to either harming the community with no trading, or just plain failed to work.   I dont really like rmt either, but i dont have a better solution 
    I agree with you.  I am not a developer, but I do feel and hope if they police it better and dedicate more man power it will at least be minimized. For me it is better to have gold selling against terms of service, work as hard as you can against it (use the community to help report it) than to allow it because simply because you cant catch every one.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Zarriya said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

I agree with you.  I am not a developer, but I do feel and hope if they police it better and dedicate more man power it will at least be minimized. For me it is better to have gold selling against terms of service, work as hard as you can against it (use the community to help report it) than to allow it because simply because you cant catch every one.
    I felt that way until i played FFXIV.   Love the game but its the first and only game that i have to cut off local chat in all cities.  I'm pretty social, and tend to read chat most of the time. but it was so bad i couldnt see a single person talk.

That was the extreme, also i didnt really feel a difference from the gw2 model. now it depends on what gold can do for you in game on weather this can be game breaking for me
    st4t1ck said:
    I felt that way until i played FFXIV.   Love the game but its the first and only game that i have to cut off local chat in all cities.  I'm pretty social, and tend to read chat most of the time. but it was so bad i couldnt see a single person talk.

That was the extreme, also i didnt really feel a difference from the gw2 model. now it depends on what gold can do for you in game on weather this can be game breaking for me
    Yea, I played FFXIV - they do not have a system where you click on the name in a chat box to report a person. I feel that would help tremendously along with the added manpower to address these reports.

I would much rather spend more money to a game that addresses gold sellers than play a game that has RMT.
  • HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    The modified quote from Jurassic Park
    "Players will find a way"
    They will find the holes you didn't and therefore didn't plug. The more creative a business model gets, the more creative the exploits. Developers have a vision of how this thing is supposed to go, I have every bit of faith and confidence in the player base that they will not let that happen the way the Developers want. They will reverse engineer, push prod data mine and do whatever it takes to find what the developers didn't.  Online gaming business models is probably the biggest shining example for K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. If developers think they can stay ahead of players by being creative, they are delusional.
    There is a lot of this going on with this game. So many of this games concepts operate under the assumption that the playerbase is going to be good little sports and play straight laced and work hard and play by the rules.

Just lol. There's not even much research required to see the holes in their plan and how easy they would be to abuse. Hypothetically if I've got just a few grand I could throw at it I could make sure hundreds of people in game have a real bad time all the while running legit accounts that only profit from my actions and suffer no actual reprisals. And we haven't even got into what the really big fish could do under this model. If you're small time, don't ever try to make it big time on this game because you will get your shit ruined, hypothetically.

As for payment model, I expressed the same concerns that because it's such an unproven model, it's a huge risk, and when you do the numbers the income is going to suffer a lot from this when compared to other more conventional models. But they insist they're not interested in making money. It seems they're doing everything in their power to assure that they won't. Why would you crowd fund an MMO that isn't going to have a chance at being actually profitable. So you can play it for 2 months before the company goes bankrupt? And forget what I said above about throwing some money at the game, if they designed it with this payment model, they're doing whales a tremendous favor.
    Zarriya said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Yes dedicate more manpower, say will you like to volunteer yourself for a 8 hour shift to read all the rmt abuse report of an online game and deal with them according to company policy? if not volunteer, how much will you like to get paid per month for your service? if you have the number in your head then multiply it by 3 since they will need 3 people on 8 hour shift for one server. And if the company has multiple server multiply the 3 people number by server number. Now multiply this number by 12. Do you get a clear picture now? Tell me is it viable to spend that much money into fighting rmt while they can counter it with their own version of rmt and make money instead of losing? Be logical.

Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

How about it, you start a mmo publishing company and show everyone a better way?

Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

How about it, you start a mmo publishing company and show everyone a better way?
    You mean like this game? Oh right, they don't even have a publishing company, nor could they likely ever get one.

Maybe that's a hint.
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

You mean like this game? Oh right, they don't even have a publishing company, nor could they likely ever get one.

Maybe that's a hint.
    Soulbound studios is their own publisher, did you not get that hint?

edited December 2015
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Maybe that's a hint.
    And how many games have Soulbound studios published?

Oh wait, I got the memo right here. None.

Being a game publisher requires publishing games. Soulbound Studios and the person you quoting have the same amount of experience with this.
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Maybe that's a hint.

Being a game publisher requires publishing games. Soulbound Studios and the person you quoting have the same amount of experience with this.
    Right like EA was never a publishing company without releasing a game, i mean they announced themselves as publisher and published their 1st  game 3 years later. so nope they were never a publisher without publishing, they were what..like umm..desk pusher morons, right?

Let's put aside sarcasm, shall we? By their own publisher i meant they will publish the game on their own. Is it too hard to comprehend for you? If it is, you are on wrong section of life.

Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Maybe that's a hint.

Right like EA was never a publishing company without releasing a game, i mean they announced themselves as publisher and published their 1st  game 3 years later. so nope they were never a publisher without publishing, they were what..like umm..desk pusher morons, right?

Let's put aside sarcasm, shall we? By their own publisher i meant they will publish the game on their own. Is it too hard to comprehend for you? If it is, you are on wrong section of life.
    So a company that isn't even capable of funding their own game let alone publishing one is supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt? Hey guys I'm the owner of Microsoft Studios, nevermind that I don't have the money to buy the majority stock, nor do I have any affiliation with Microsoft Studios currently, but I'm announcing my intention to buy it, therefore I own it. Nice logic.

Did it occur to you to at least wait until they've actually procured sufficient crowd funding before using this logic or is this concept too hard to comprehend for you?

This isn't life, this is a video game forum. If it were life I think it's pretty obvious which one of the two of us is being incredibly naive. You might have a bad time.
    edited December 2015
    Zarriya said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Yes dedicate more manpower, say will you like to volunteer yourself for a 8 hour shift to read all the rmt abuse report of an online game and deal with them according to company policy? if not volunteer, how much will you like to get paid per month for your service? if you have the number in your head then multiply it by 3 since they will need 3 people on 8 hour shift for one server. And if the company has multiple server multiply the 3 people number by server number. Now multiply this number by 12. Do you get a clear picture now? Tell me is it viable to spend that much money into fighting rmt while they can counter it with their own version of rmt and make money instead of losing? Be logical.

I do not get a clearer picture because you are just making up numbers - you do not know exactly how many people are needed, it may even be more than that  :D    And, as  you have quoted me earlier,  I would pay extra money to play a well policed game. You get what you pay for. IMHO it is worth it.

edited December 2015
    I was trying to have polite, meaningful discussion with you, I even agreed with you on one post, but you seem agitated so I will end this exchange.  I am sorry if I upset you.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Botting and gold farming shouldn't be a big deal if Chronicles of Elyria applies something similar to this approach taken by developers of Revival. Those solutions could work in Chronicles of Elyria too because CoE has very similar key features to enable such solutions: no global chat, limited resources, decaying materials, materials being physical instead of virtual in the game world, skill-based combat, OWPVP, active "smart" NPCs.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Yanocchi said:
    Botting and gold farming shouldn't be a big deal if Chronicles of Elyria applies something similar to this approach taken by developers of Revival. Those solutions could work in Chronicles of Elyria too because CoE has very similar key features to enable such solutions: no global chat, limited resources, decaying materials, materials being physical instead of virtual in the game world, skill-based combat, OWPVP, active "smart" NPCs.

Thank you for posting that Yanocci. I read through that post and I think we all enjoy killing bots.  In CoE they sound like they are doing something similar and said :

"Also, CoE is different than most MMOs because there is no mail system. People have to physically take money and give it to another person. I don't know about you, but if I discovered certain characters were gold farmers, I'd probably become a highwayman and repeatedly steal from them... just sayin'. ;-) They'd be forced to pay for bodyguards, etc... and would very quickly end up using all their farmed gold to protect the gold."

source:https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/59-Pay-to-win

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Zarriya said:

Thank you for posting that Yanocci. I read through that post and I think we all enjoy killing bots.  In CoE they sound like they are doing something similar and said :

"Also, CoE is different than most MMOs because there is no mail system. People have to physically take money and give it to another person. I don't know about you, but if I discovered certain characters were gold farmers, I'd probably become a highwayman and repeatedly steal from them... just sayin'. ;-) They'd be forced to pay for bodyguards, etc... and would very quickly end up using all their farmed gold to protect the gold."

source:https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/59-Pay-to-win

That's pretty cool but I'm not sure how it would fit in the whole going against the law will have consequences. I guess we'll have real vigilantism in this game. 

Yes, I am a murderer now. But I did this for all of us. You all wanted to kill that goldfarmer but you were too afraid! I did what needed to be done. And I don't care what you'll do to me now!!
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

I do not get a clearer picture because you are just making up numbers - you do not know exactly how many people are needed, it may even be more than that  :D    And, as  you have quoted me earlier,  I would pay extra money to play a well policed game. You get what you pay for. IMHO it is worth it.

I am making up numbers? So i guess you have experience in dealing with situation like this and you have exact number and metrics to decide how many people will be needed to counter this situation? so ok, from your experience how much do you think they will have to spend a year to fight rmt? and how much money do you think they will need to make per year to keep 150% profit margin( yeah unless you don't know it, a business need to maintain 150% profit margin to stay in business long term.)? How many sales of a game copy they will have to make to break even? How much they will have to monthly charge and what is the minimum number of sub they will have to keep? i am sure you are experienced enough to have the answers since you think i am making up numbers. So now let's hear your experienced opinion

edited December 2015
    Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Maybe that's a hint.

So a company that isn't even capable of funding their own game let alone publishing one is supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt? Hey guys I'm the owner of Microsoft Studios, nevermind that I don't have the money to buy the majority stock, nor do I have any affiliation with Microsoft Studios currently, but I'm announcing my intention to buy it, therefore I own it. Nice logic.

Did it occur to you to at least wait until they've actually procured sufficient crowd funding before using this logic or is this concept too hard to comprehend for you?

This isn't life, this is a video game forum. If it were life I think it's pretty obvious which one of the two of us is being incredibly naive. You might have a bad time.
    They are not trying to buy microsoft are they? You have hard time looking at a clear picture don't you?

Zarriya said:
    I was trying to have polite, meaningful discussion with you, I even agreed with you on one post, but you seem agitated so I will end this exchange.  I am sorry if I upset you.
    you said they should find a better way, i am just suggesting maybe you should start up a company and show them better way since the whole gaming industry is incapable of doing so and you talk like you are capable. I am not upset, just amused.

Zarriya said:
    Zarriya said:

From their FAQ:

Maybe that's a hint.

They are not trying to buy microsoft are they? You have hard time looking at a clear picture don't you?
    Keyword "trying", they have not published anything. They are not funded, hence they are not legitimate publishers as they are at the mercy of the fickle masses.

You have not painted a clear picture comparing them to EA, as they relied on private funding. If this project had any sort of real clout standing behind it, your words would be taken seriously. They do not, and hence it's just all talk, and very well might always remain so. End of story.