Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes a good community?

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    These days a pay bar as in P2P or B2P is a good start. If you are a F2P locust or butterfly you will never settle in a community.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Need as opposed to being forced to do something.  Example, you see a player fighting mobs who appears to be loosing the fight.  With a good community players would naturally help him out just because he needs help. A player needs help with something and shouts it out in chat, very soon he gets a big response.  You see a downed player and take the time to help he out.  IMO, a good game encourages such behavior and can even give minor xp rewards for helping.

Going to a bar to get an entertainer buff or to a doctor to get mind wounds healed created a need that encouraged players participate in different areas of the game.  

In one game I get a lot of and give a lot of 'ty's and 'wlc's when I play, because it's that type of a community for the most part.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    • Interdependency- Not just class dependency but players depending on others in a wider scale regardless of skill or experience level 
    • Influx of enough new players - Populations aren't always going to be stable but there needs to be enough new players with old players guiding/helping them
    • Some degree of common cooperative play - This can be in PvE or PVP but this has to be something that is fairly common to occur and natural to the game.
    There's probably more but those things are more up to the players if they want to encourage or harm the community. What I listed is what the game can do to encourage a good community.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Mendel said:
    Wizardry said:
    Two qualities make a good community,,maturity and helpful.If the communities idea of fun is to crack off Chuck Norris jokes,it is an immature community.
    I agree with this, that the community needs to be both mature and helpful.
    But game communities tend to consist primarily of elitists preaching exclusion.

After two years, it even becomes exclusion within the same title, "I yam a vet since Beta, I don't like what these Newbie Scrubs are doing to MY game."

I wish we saw more "mature and helpful." It would be a welcome relief from the superiority posturing.
  • JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    People not trying to be a contrarian for contrarian sake an admiting a bad game like AA is bad unlike DM..
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Cecropia said:

Humans by nature are social animals. This isn't even up for debate.

It is up to debate of whether humans want to be social 100% of the time. 

In fact, it is clearly not true. 

And it is up to debate if humans want to be social in computer games. Playing a MP game does not mean that players want to social .. it can just mean that they want to pvp and take their frustration out on other anonymous people.

Wizardry said:

Why do you think Wow needed it's  so called automated grouping systems?
    Because its players value convenience more than community?
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    good community is when u play an mmorpg, u can see other player, u can talk to them. not playing alone in huge mmorpg but has nobody playing it. thats why open world pvp is important. its make the world more challenging, its player driven quest, the player that kill other player will get red name and he will be the next wanted, so other player will kill him for bigger reward. its combine pve player with pvp player
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    An armed society is a polite society.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Wizardry said:

You go to the local creamery to churn butter with the community or go to the store alone and buy it?  Humans pick convenience over community when given a choice in almost all cases.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I'd like to add to some of the great bullet points in this thread: engagement.  If I care about a game, I care about the community, and am less likely to be a complete jerk within that community.

I see the word "bad" getting thrown around a lot, and just thought I should point out what constitutes "bad" behavior varies wildly from person to person. I don't think it works to say 'we need to drive all the bad players out of this game' because that in itself is a bad attitude. Maybe I got ganked as a newbie, but maybe that's just a part of the game and not the result of "bad" players.

Things like hacking, cheating, or even attempting to destroy someone's reputation via misrepresentation should be avoided.  That's about as far as I'll draw the line.

Every community will tend to attract polar opposites over time. It's the differences in power, political stance, and philosophy that create some of the most interesting online, in-game interactions.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Horusra said:

Wizardry said:

You go to the local creamery to churn butter with the community or go to the store alone and buy it?  Humans pick convenience over community when given a choice in almost all cases.
    Precisely. So why fight it? I can see the issue is different in workplace because you want to foster collaborations.

But the goal of entertainment is to entertain (duh!) ... so why not just give the players want they want (i.e convenience and forget about community).
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Nanfoodle said:

I dont agree. I have played both, esport games and MMOs like DAoC. Twitch dose not equal skill, what DAoC was to PvP vs twitch PvP today is like t he difference between Chess and Pong. But I digress, as this is getting off topic.

As for the devs ignoring my type of gamer. I agree they are. As for viable, thats only because of lack of imagination. A blending of what made MMOs great, married with modern mechanics. It could be something unique in the mass of mediocrity we have as of late. And you cant say its not, as MMOs are floundering about. Grasping as trying to keep gamers. 

Community is what made MMOs great. Thats why people kept logging in, to go on adventures with friends. Now we have people logging in to play solo games. MMOs need to be designed from the ground up to get people playing together from the start. From how classes work, to crafting and yes even PvP. I may be wrong, but I think an MMO designed with that focus today, would stand out and get a fair number of people jumping on board. 
    Twitch *is* a kind of skill. Are you saying those pros at the top of e-sports have no skills? That would be laughable because few in the world can beat them.
    Do I need to dig up that four-year-old post by @AIMonster about twitch abilities and brain power?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Mendel said:
    Many people use the idea of a 'good community' when they talk about games.  But what, exactly, does a game's population really need to be considered a 'good community'?  There are probably several elements that are necessary for a community to be 'good'.

Here's some of the elements that I think contribute to a good community.
    • Large population.  A large number of players provides variety.
    • Stable population.  Seeing the same people in-game allows friendships to form.
    • Active chat.  Players must be willing to participate in the community.
    • Even distribution of population across levels.  There should be a lot of people around the same level providing competition, grouping, etc.
    Feel free to add other factors that make a community 'good' for you.
    there really isnt such a thing in gaming.
    If I am wrong suggest some titles in which you think the community is healthy.

Keep in mind 'clan' and 'community' are not the same. Clan is the group of people you interact with on skype etc and play together often and talk about your babies with

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me