Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New computer....is this a good time?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I am looking to build a new computer for the kids.  I think I want to spend ~600.  I will need a monitor and a the PC, no mice or keyboard.

Couple of questions though.
Is this a good time to buy?  I am not sure if the black Friday events are good deals.  i don't follow hardware costs much anymore.
Is there a better time?
Should I wait till it is closer to Christmas.

Here is what I will be looking for.  A touchscreen monitor that is between 19-22 inches.  I will need the OS too.  I suspect that 600 can get it done, but again I have not priced recently.

This is for kids who will be playing some touchscreen simple games, maybe doing a little word processing and some limited internet browsing.  Don't need a very powerful pc.   I may also pick up a touchscreen monitor for my wife. That one should probably be 22-24 inches. 

Thanks in advance. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Why not an Android tablet ?
    Not what I am looking for. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Perfect time to buy. Nothing new coming in months. Monitors are dirt cheap as well. It really depends on your capability needs. You can build a cheap apu machine for around $200. It won't have much updatability. It will be capable of word processing and light 3D games. That size monitor now runs around $80. Then enough for an os.
  • XerxzXerxz Member CommonPosts: 1
    I would recommend a tablet aswell. TouchMonitors arent cheap <300$ atleast
    Cleffy said:
    Perfect time to buy. Nothing new coming in months. Monitors are dirt cheap as well. It really depends on your capability needs. You can build a cheap apu machine for around $200. It won't have much updatability. It will be capable of word processing and light 3D games. That size monitor now runs around $80. Then enough for an os.
    I appreciate you actually answering the question at hand.  Do you have any suggestions on hardware and a site besides newegg.

--John Ruskin

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    touch monitors are pointless, they failed years ago
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Any touch screens I have seen or used are garbage unless you are willing to pay a pretty penny.  I prefer glass touchscreens like on Ipads or the higher end android tablets.  If you buy a low level all in one system or something similar it is just throwing money away in my opinion.  You get what you pay for

Whoops. I noticed the wife's touch screen, but not the 19-22" touch screen. The newer AMD Athlon APUs run around $100 for CPU and mobo, should be better at basic games than the i3. Can also run 3D games from the early-mid 2000s.

But for a touch screen, the only way to squeeze that in will either be a tablet or all in one.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I wouldnt get an athlon if you want a cheap decent AMD CPU I would go with something like an FX6300.  It is not as good as an i5, but much better than i3.  They are about $80.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I never know when to get in.  I just read that intel is coming out with a chip that is incredible.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kiyoris said:
    Well, they are for desktops but for small laptops there is at least some merits for them.

OP: I would skip the touchscreen though, too expensive. Getting an acceptable desktop and use your old screen for a while would be better, you can always get a screen later. Also, you should consider if a nice 2K screen wouldn't be more useful.

But I guess now is as good time as anytime, not much new out at the moment but there is nothing coming soon that would make the thing you buy outdated the next few months.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-View-Tablet-Black/dp/B0167OR4V0

Android tablets are the only way you're going to be able to get a large touchscreen + OS + any decent hardware on your budget.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Loke666 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Well, they are for desktops but for small laptops there is at least some merits for them.

OP: I would skip the touchscreen though, too expensive. Getting an acceptable desktop and use your old screen for a while would be better, you can always get a screen later. Also, you should consider if a nice 2K screen wouldn't be more useful.

But I guess now is as good time as anytime, not much new out at the moment but there is nothing coming soon that would make the thing you buy outdated the next few months.
    That is what I would do with that small of a budget. Get a core idea of the build. I had to ask for help with mine and even then it was stressful.  The bargain hunt. Might be able to get a better gpu or cpu for the same price. Don't rule pre-builts out.  Just make sure if you aren't 100% sure on the quality. Ask before you pull the trigger.
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    It sounds like an all-in-one would be a good match for what you want. Dell is not a bad option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883158891

The screen is a little bigger (23.8") than what you mentioned but it has the latest generation i3 processor and 8gb ram so it will definitely meet your kids needs. 

You can also get it direct from the Dell website if you prefer but its more expensive for the same specs. At $600 you can get a 20" with the lastest i3 and 4gb ram, while newegg offers the better specs for $650 plus you get a free headset.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-20-3052-aio/pd?ref=PD_Family

I believe an all-in-one would be the most economical choice for you. If you want to buy direct from Dell I recommend speaking with them to see if they are willing to upgrade that model to 8gb ram.

Right now is generally the best time to look for deals because of black friday and cyber monday.
    I really did not want to have this discussion as to why a tablet does not fill my needs.  Apparently though there will be no actual assistance without some clarification. 

John Ruskin----

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

A tablet does not fill the need that I have.  I honestly think I get a PC for ~300 OS for ~100 and Monitor for ~200.  That is ~600.  If it goes to 650 I don't think it matters.  Even if it kicked out to 700 it wouldn't be terrible.  I just think I can do it for 600.

A tablet won't due for the following reasons. 

My oldest son is now writing papers and will need to do more research for school.  Although you can do those things on a tablet it is not very efficient.  Moreover, and most importantly, a tablet is mobile.  One of the key things I try and teach my kids is how to sit down and do their work. I don't mean on the sofa.  Having a tablet allows for work to be done at different areas.  I don't want that.  Just being able to sit their and focus on work at a desk is a skill that many people do not have.  Kids especially.  My oldest son is excellent at it.  That did not happen over night and it did not happen by accident.  It happened through setting up a system at home that separated functions and taught him to work at a desk while sitting.

The second issue with tablets is they are devices that are tied to battery power and charger. We had one tablet already lose connection to the motherboard and won't charge anymore.  I have soldered a laptop in place once, but the tablet is a pain.  I would rather not have a device be so dependent when kids of varying different age will be using it. 

Third, we have a space on our second floor that is open and tends to collect toys, boxes, and who knows what.  I have wanted to put a desk there for a bit, but it never made sense.  Now that my oldest is doing more advanced homework having a desk and computer there makes more sense.

Fourth, I am knowledgeable enough of Windows to be able to lock down the device easier and setup it up so that my children have access to what I want.  I don't know enough about tablet OS and don't really want to learn on the fly. 

In short a tablet is not an option.  A desktop is the best fit for what I need. 

I don't want a crap touchscreen, but I suspect 200-250 can get a decent touchscreen monitor. newegg has 5 in that price range.  I know I can get the OS for ~100.  

CPU/MB/RAM combo for 116
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1665036

Power: 25 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139058

Case: Splurged on one I think the kids would like 60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353062&ignorebbr=1
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121003&ignorebbr=1

Hard drive: 35
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD30N2557

Some Monitors ~ 200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-0077-000R2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1ZP5951
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016320

That is going to put me right around 630.

I think it is doable.  I just don't want to get something that is horrible.  Maybe someone can tighten this up a bit, even if it costs an extra 50 bucks. 

I don't think I missed anything. 

--John Ruskin

edited November 2015

OK, that sounds reasonable. I checked deeper into All in Ones and the recent ones all have 1 problem. They use weak Intel CPUs. Based on your needs, you should have the OS and Touchscreen down. Just remember to read the reviews on the touch screens. and you might wanna opt for the USB OS for $20 more. The rest could use a little tweak depending on how you want to gear your system for around $300.

First is a minimalist system that can run a word processor and play basic games that might include early to mid-2000 era 3D games.

CPU, Mobo, Memory combo $125.00
    AMD Athlon 5350 Kabini 2.05 ghz
    ASUS AM1M-A mobo
    ADATA XPG 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz

HDD- WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM $51.99

Case- HEC Black Mini-Tower $34.99

PSU- Corsair CS450M 450W $54.99

Total: 266.97 not including rebates

I tried to put together something with more power, but there is only 1 thing I could come up with that was under $300. However, I am quite hesitant to suggest it. The CPU is 3 years old, there is only 1 memory dimm which will cripple the APU, and that 300w PSU is quite capable of taking out the whole system. For an APU, I would want to run a Godaviri which there are only 2 of currently. With the CPU taking $99, it doesnt leave enough for the case, mobo, memory, HDD, and PSU each running around $50 each for around $350 total.

CPU, Mobo, Case w/PSU, Memory, SSD combo $289.99
    AMD A10-5800K
    Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+
    Rosewill Computer Case w/300w PSU
    HyperX Savage 8GB DDR3 2133
    Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 240GB SSD

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    MMOman101 said:
    I really did not want to have this discussion as to why a tablet does not fill my needs.  Apparently though there will be no actual assistance without some clarification....
    I think it was assumed that you'd want to use the monitor in some strange location when you asked for a touch screen, as most people don't see any benefit from having a touch screen on normal desktop PC.

Sorry about that.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    A tablet actually does fill all your needs. You can efficiently enough research anything you need and play w/e videos or view w/e pdfs you need for simple school work as your oldest son needs. A device is as mobile as you make it. If you can't even control your kids enough to tell them, "this tablet does not leave this desk" then you have bigger issues.

As for your previous tablet failing to charge, that is not a common issues with tablets and funnily enough given the quote you posted earlier, you either paid to cheaply or this goes back to what i said earlier and simply was roughhoused a bit to much due to you not making it a rule to only use it in a one location.

Lastly, making it sound like its oh-so-hard to navigate to parental controls on tablets nowadays..well that's laughable at best.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited November 2015
    Try to stretch yourself for some APU with 7 in its name like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113371&cm_re=a8_7600-_-19-113-371-_-Product

Its 40$ more expencive than a6-5400 so if you can find some combo.