Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think it's really dead this time high end that is.

Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
edited November 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I feel like the mobile market, f2p, paid alpha, and never ending beta has decimated pc gaming. A quick look at what's on the horizon in the pc gaming world leads me to believe, it's dead we just aren't admitting it. The excitement is centered around mobile games and new tablets that can run old games on min settings.

Edit , it's high end that is dead, or exclusive pc only content, moba I could hardly ever count as a game because I think they are boring, but today I don't have to count them as a pc game because you can play them on a tablet.
Post edited by Righteous_Rock on

Comments

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited November 2015
    It is not dead, it is easy to forget about the MOBA players.  They dwarf everything else in PC and console gaming, but you don't see them branching out into other genres.

Edit:  Though I share your concern for the rest of PC gaming.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    edited November 2015
    One interesting thing to note... in the grand scheme of things the total number of people who have EVER visited this site times 10 is totally dwarfed by the number of those who have never even heard of this site and have been happily playing games for years.

You are in the minority... which is why they don't make games based on what people on this site want.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I doubt moba players visit this site, correct. 
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I kind see the opposite happening, with these smaller gaming pc formats...steam machines, controllers, steam OS, and Alienwares version of it. Seems to me PC gaming is starting to cut into the console market. There are more games than ever, that Im interested in.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think consoles are killing pc games the most.  Game makers are putting more energy into consoles and allowing more pc games to be ported broken or incomplete.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Are you kidding? PC gaming has never been better! I personally think we are in the golden era of pc gaming.  
    A steam machine is a console.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I think consoles are killing pc games the most.  Game makers are putting more energy into consoles and allowing more pc games to be ported broken or incomplete.
    PC and Console gaming have coexisted together since the beginning of time. Mobile gaming and their shady practices is what is ruining everything.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Some of the biggest benefits to PC gaming have been modding, hosting and map making but many games like CoD have killed those aspects.  Modding is still huge in games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout but when you compare the level of control we had as PC gamers 8 years ago to today, it makes me sad.  I was part of a group who hosted a CoD4 server at a friends house, It ran on linux, was super fast, was in the same state we lived in which helped to reduce lag and if for some reason it locked up he could reboot it in minutes.  It was fully modded to prevent bunny-hopping and loaded with several gigs of custom maps.  Earlier this year we finally shut it down.

Besides graphics, why play on PC?  With my Xim-4 I can play on the console using a keyboard and mouse.  Many MMO's are now showing up on consoles too.  Look at the three biggest games released over the last year, Destiny, Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4.  Besides modding for Fallout, what is the benefit to buying them on PC? 

PC Gaming will never go away but as game developers continue to turn the benefits of gaming on PC's into cash grabs like buying map packs and bringing their games to the console, it will slowly continue to lose popularity.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I feel like the mobile market, f2p, paid alpha, and never ending beta has decimated pc gaming. A quick look at what's on the horizon in the pc gaming world leads me to believe, it's dead we just aren't admitting it. The excitement is centered around mobile games and new tablets that can run old games on min settings.
    If only I had a dollar for every time someone like you says the pc is dead or dying.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    PC and Console gaming have coexisted together since the beginning of time. Mobile gaming and their shady practices is what is ruining everything.
    I have to agree with him somewhat. I do not think consoles will kill the pc, but I do think they are hurting pc gaming.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HkelementalHkelemental Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited November 2015
    A steam machine is a console.
    I'm sorry, I had to sign in to say this. A Steam machine is NOT a console. It's a small form factor PC that if you are so inclined you can install windows on. It just doesn't come with windows. Unless the manufacturer sells one with dual boot or something.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Viper482 said:
    I have to agree with him somewhat. I do not think consoles will kill the pc, but I do think they are hurting pc gaming.

What is hurting PC gaming more than anything is shady practice and lack of solid foundations of the game design. The genre has been stuck in a rut for years so almost everything coming out is just a rehash of existing  designs.

Also, the industry is so volatile now that the risk is to high to invest in anything so there is this dry period that may last a long time.

Just my 2 copper.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I played mobile games enough in the 80's. For today's youngsters they are something new, but i can honestly say it was a huge step forward when i played NES and Sega console games for the first time on big tv-screen.

I don't get how people can play games on calculator size of displays and even pay money for it.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited November 2015
    More an evolution that a death. I am sure as tech becomes smaller the desktop market will adapt to provide smaller form factor cases and components. But the actual PC gaming market is going nowhere.

Really its consoles that are threatened, not PC's. They are and always have been entertainment gimmicks, nothing more. As long as Steam can get their shit together and make the steamOS viable it will take a good chunk out of the console market. Then the only thing keeping people buying them is exclusive titles, not functionality.......its actually already getting that way.

Though it is very true that game functionality and quality is better on consoles, but that is because the console companies are enforcing their own quality control on products released on their machines. If we finally forced digital products to be beholden to the same consumer protection laws as physical goods are we would not have the problem.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    These doomsday threads keep popping up.  I'm beginning to think people relish the thought of things failing.

I self identify as a monkey.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    And the moment a couple of games come out that in YOUR opinion have a good payment system you will make a topic saying:

PC GAMING RESURRECTED HYPE!! HYPE!!!!  

seriously tho these topics are so anoying, maybe its this whole forum I find anoying and should stay away from... 99pct of the topics are negative people writing a single 10000 word post saying what they do not enjoy rather than what they do enjoy.

Every time I think of lets check mmorpg.com I am confronted with a homepage showing recent topics that are all negative and when you click on them people actually are all agreeing with and saying what they do not like ASWELL,  spend ur time writing about games/features u dont like... WIN!
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    PC gaming will be with use for a while longer, especially considering the consoles are pretty much hardware locked PCs now. For instance, most Square-Enix games now get released on the PC where a decade ago it was a console exclusive.
    As for mobile gaming, these has always been an audience for simple puzzle games since the beginning of gaming. Its a larger market than some people understand. Even in 2002, we understood that Internet puzzle games represented a 20 million player market of mostly 40+ year old women. These games also translate well to mobile games.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    They have this thing called the internet where you can google things like "PC game sales by year". In about the same amount of time it took you to make your OP, you could discover that your hypothesis is objectively false and PC gaming is larger than ever.

Isn't objective truth more valuable to you than having +1 troll post on the internet?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Doomsaying has deep roots in history. People always find a reason to say the world is ending pretty soon. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

Rule of nature is to evolve and progress otherwise you'll extinct. The day PCs hardware stop to progress and evolve you can start worrying about PC gaming might end. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Pc gaming could resurrect, but thise procliaming pc has better graphics... what new games are you waiting for to try out your awesome gpu on? The hardware baseline has taken a giant leap backwards, console folks came out with "obsolete" hardware for their next gen system, but pc game makers are spec thier games for mobile and multiple platforms to increase the pool, if you own a pc , feel free to play these mobile games, but I can't count that as pc gaming anymore. Even league of legends can be played on a tablet just fine, league is like a high tablet game and low end pc game now. The pool of pc gaming are games that can only be played on pc, it's not a big number, and it's why we don't see great leaps and bounds with respect to mmorpg because you need a decent system to handle them. The trend in mmorpg I believe is indicative of the trend in pc gaming overall, the mobas... it won't be long and they will be playable on many many mobile devices and the consoles.
    I'm saying I don't call some of what you consider pc gaming as pc gaming anymore. Let's put it this way, I want to develop a game, let's call it Albion, do I push the limits and create a game few high end pc gamers , or do I make a game playable on tablets and pc's thus increasing the pool of potential customers? That's where we are today and with tablets now that are specs for a pc from 10 years ago, get ready for many more games to come out that your high pc will laugh at. Perhaps I should have said high end pc gaming is dead.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    It's true that PC sales are tanking.

I think this is due to the fact that there is a real and measurable slowdown in hardware upgrades. Moore's law hasn't been relevant for years.

Indie games also doesn't help, they are dragging the quality of PC games down, this isn't happening on consoles to the same extent.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited November 2015
    It's PC gamers their own fault they get trash compared to consoles.

PC gamers buy trash.

PC gamers support the industry of half-finished games, indie trash, failed kickstarter projects, bugged games, F2P ripoffs, microtransaction MMO from Korea that last 2 months, etc.

PCs have become the dumping ground for low quality games because PC gamers, for some inexplicable reason, are not standing up to indie / steam and kickstarter crap.

PCs are the platform for basement programmers. It's the platform where 4 people can make an unfinished low quality kickstarter MMO.

When you buy and support trash, you will keep getting trash.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    As long as .........someone keeps making games that can be modded..............