Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legion...still a year away????

doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
Legion Releasing by September 2016
Legion website updates are happening!

• The regular version costs $50
  • The Digital Deluxe edition costs $70.
  • Pre-purchasing gives you a Level 100 Boost.
  • Pre-purchasing gives you at least one week early access to the Demon Hunter class.
  • You will need a level 70 character to create a Demon Hunter and you can only have one Demon Hunter per realm.
  • Legion is expected to release on or before 09/21/2016. This is not a release date.

I am at a complete loss for words here....the next expansion can literally be almost a year out? After all the talk about putting out xpacs quicker and quicker, they are literally doing the opposite. If they don't release another raid instance in that time, they could have a revolt on their hands..

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Despite popular belief, there are more non-raiders in WoW than raiders by a factor of 8.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Despite popular belief, there are more non-raiders in WoW than raiders by a factor of 8.
    Despite popular belief, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for years (since the advent of LFR, at the very least).

If you don't believe that (MMO Champ has plenty a statistic on the topic ;) ), replace "raid instance" with "actual content", and my point still stands
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I am not sure why OP is surprised. Blizzard lies all the time, especially when it comes to WoW. They have been talking about speeding up production for years and years. In the end they never did. Apparently hiring more people, and spending more money on WoW is just not worth it. Everything else they have in their library now is cheaper to make and so more profitable in the end. Hearthstone and HOTS cemented the idea that to make money they don't actually have to spend that much money.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited November 2015
    doodphace said:
    Despite popular belief, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for years (since the advent of LFR, at the very least).

If you don't believe that (MMO Champ has plenty a statistic on the topic ;) ), replace "raid instance" with "actual content", and my point still stands
    I totally would have said you were full of it and only seeing what you want to see. . . if I hadn't logged in recently.  I decided to try that "free 10 day" trial of the news expansion.  Stormwind was a ghost town.  I know people are likely hanging out in the garrison or whatever but wow.  It did seem like the raiding crowd was most of what was left at this point anyway.  I am guessing / hoping that will change after Legion.  I likely won't know since I only logged in for about an hour with a new character and got tired of collecting meat for a quest.  So to the OP. . yeah that is a bit too long, but I think I a lot of people like me, who are not playing now anyway might look in later.

I will still give it a go with my level 82 to see what is up at higher levels.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    doodphace said:

If that were the case, then why were there so few people running around in raid gear compared to those who weren't the last time I played?  Why does Blizzard, even now, continue to put out expansions and updates that have more regular content than raids?  Especially with such an aged population, you'd think they would all be raiding by now.  Even Brad McQuaid admits that raiding is niche and he's the granddaddy of raiding.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

The era of WOW ended with the last expansion and the sub drop says it all. It's just what happens when a company chooses to abandon ship to invest in other venues. They invested the revenue of the aging WOW in many other projects/games and movie soon. Add the massive $ the CEO also take, yes WOW had it's run, but I'm still surprised people talking about it.

The only thing that would rejuvenate WOW is F2P model with fast pased dungeon/raid content and PvP seasons lasting for 3 months. Sadly, this is not happening....and that is why the game feels barren now.

I subbed for 3 months when I bought latest expansion and stopped playing after the 2nd.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    I did expect this out sooner, oh well I guess that's just more time I don't need to worry about playing WoW.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    So when did Blizzard say they were going back on their plans to release more regular content?

i stopped playing and subbing but remain interested because if they start treating the clients with respect, they could woo me back but I'm not paying a monthly sub for nothing.
  • yuri330yuri330 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    If they honestly started to have a release schedule that is more like the norm I would stick around but JESUS CHRIST are they fucking slow at doing anything.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited November 2015
    Technically speaking, it could be out anytime before Sept. 21, 2016. They COULD surprise us, but they also had "Summer 2016" so I doubt it'll be before July.

Not quite a year, but 7-9 months is still pretty bad. I guess at best all we can hope for with content updates until then is a pre-patch and a bit of lead-in content starting maybe a month before launch if lucky.

PS: I find it strange that you only need level 70 to roll a level 98 Demon Hunter.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    September is only a placeholder date....meaning it wont be released later than the 26th of September. Since pre-alpha just started it'll probably take about 7-8 months for it to be ready since Blizzard does actual alpha/beta testing, not this crap weekend/two week stuff. As for it actually being good, that's a completely different story.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Look at it this way, if the expansion were to release tomorrow, you'd e done with it in less than a month as you have been with every other expansion as of late.  You will be strung along with patch releases that will try to keep you around, but for the most part, everything there is to do in the game will be released and most likely completed at the 6 month mark at the latest.  

So, the fact that it isn't going to be released is a good thing because what else do you have to look forward to in September 2016?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think that they are going to release it a lot sooner than they are posting. The streamers I've been watching have basically been saying they assume it will come out in 6 or less months, just due to the game being in desperate need of the expansion content. I think it will have the update patch for it but not the actual expansion for a while maybe 8 months.
  • StarplanStarplan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Need Legion asap as im getting bored XD

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Congrats - everyone else got bored a long time ago, so you did well.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    edited December 2015
    PvP sucks
    PvE sucks, new content every 1,5 - 2 years - wow.
    No crafting
    No exploration
    Every xpack is the same old sausage in a new bun.

wonder what people keep playing this "game".
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Legion fixes Pvp.. 
    Gets new and improved pve systems into place
    Crafting overhaul.
    Explorations go and do what you want in the new zones.
    Combat overhaul. Best damn melee combat I have seen in a long time.

Someone should check what is coming instead of just bashing what looks to be a very promising expansion. But two tiers is the only flaw to this expansion and it will be out before the summer so 6 months away. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kopogero said:

The era of WOW ended with the last expansion and the sub drop says it all. It's just what happens when a company chooses to abandon ship to invest in other venues. They invested the revenue of the aging WOW in many other projects/games and movie soon. Add the massive $ the CEO also take, yes WOW had it's run, but I'm still surprised people talking about it.

The only thing that would rejuvenate WOW is F2P model with fast pased dungeon/raid content and PvP seasons lasting for 3 months. Sadly, this is not happening....and that is why the game feels barren now.

I subbed for 3 months when I bought latest expansion and stopped playing after the 2nd.

They had a great run!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Yeah ten more months of WoD is silly and Blizzard should be ashamed of themselves. 

I do believe that the major issue is that Blizzard has made a decision to move into other areas of the gaming market and they are no longer fully invested in the MMORPG genre.  I am not saying WoW is dying as that is a silly sentiment since they do still have more than 5 million subscribers but I will say that WoW is in it's decline and pushing the next expansion out almost another year isn't going to help.

I think the sad truth is that the MMO community is so divided that there is less money to be made on true MMORPGs and more money to be made in MOBAs and tablet games. 

I also really do think that the current F2P surge has really hurt the genre on a whole.  A lot of F2P games are foreign imports that have been out for years in other countries (i.e Archeage, Black Dessert, Blade and Soul, etc) that get translated and rereleased here with some form (usually a pay to win) cash shop.  Gamers leave games like WoW to flock to the new shiny import, I mean it's free to play after all, then by the time the gamers realize it's garbage the next F2P import comes along and they move on to that. 

Most of what we see releasing in the next year is either crowd funded garbage or a translated import and it's all free to play. Blizzard doesn't have to place their eggs all in the MMO basket, I mean they own Candy Crush for christs sake which is played by 93 million people worldwide, so they will just let us MMO gamers reap what we have sown. 
  • SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209
    Well legion is the 6th expansion right? that is not a lot if you say compare to Everquest that never had even close to WoW's player base yet has 22 expansions out, sure EQ have a few years on wow but still, plenty of content.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2016
    jmalmin said:
    Legion fixes Pvp.. 
    Crafting overhaul.

Someone should check what is coming instead of just bashing what looks to be a very promising expansion. But two tiers is the only flaw to this expansion and it will be out before the summer so 6 months away. 
    What some posters were "bashing" is that they are being expected to stick with - to use your words: a PvP system that needs fixing, a PvE system that needs improving and both a crafting system and combat system that need an overhaul.

And Legion is not going to release until after the film - in June - according to AB chief execs. They did however say they hoped -  3 months ago it was will - release by summer 2016.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Starplan said:
    Need Legion asap as im getting bored XD

I agree with you. I can't wait until Legion comes out. I'm bored as well.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Activision seems to be persistent with their game design.

May we have classic realms already?
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    jmalmin said:
    Legion fixes Pvp.. 
    Crafting overhaul.

You're missing the point...

Because you want to be defensive.

I also question what your definition of "new and improved pve systems" and "combat overhaul" is, since I don't see anything that really qualifies in Legion as far as that's concerned.

I also find it odd that you claim it fixes PvP when you've probably never PvP'd in Legion, on classes balanced in a way that is going to launch to the general public.

Crafting Overhaul is something I haven't looked into, largely because I never think about it.  Crafting has been put on rails in Draenor...

Exploration "go and do what you want in the new zones" is a cop out.  In any game, you can go and do what you want in the new zones.  There has to be a purpose.  We use "real life time" and pay "real life money" to pay this game, so unless there is a legit reason that makes it worthwhile, the better choice is to not do it at all.  Which is exactly the problem people have with the game right now (and why people log in- raid/dailies-log off).
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    This is all theory but I think a lot of people might be pleasantly surprised by this one.

The reason it is not launching until sept is because I suspect they really want to revive the game with this xpack... It has already been in development for a long time, and for a reason. There are a lot of changes coming and new content hence the wait.

I think this time they are trying to create gameplay which promotes long staying power, things to do for a long time, and WoD was really not very good for this. The lvling experience was good but then at max lvl it got stale fast for both pve and pvp. They have taken some systems from D3 and made it so there is constant progression for all types of player, rather than the brick wall that most found WoD had. They have purposely said that dungeons are going to promote proper team play and will be a challenge like it used to be back in the day. Also that people will have to find keys etc to be able to open the dungeons so I think they are trying to give incentive to go in the various zones other than them only really being used for the leveling process.

I also think the PvP changes could be good, most don't understand the implications of having PvP specific abilities it seems. PvE gear will once again be viable for PvP. One of the main reasons for the new ranking and ability system is so that they can balance PvP/PvE separately, and generally make the balance for PvP better and more fun than it has been in the past. 

Removed the solo garrisons which is a good change I think personally, not only that but they are now class halls so you can hang with others of your own class. (this is an mmorpg not a solo rpg!)

There are a lot of other changes too... but anyway I think these are some good changes in the right direction. It seems to me that they have taken a step back and really thought about changes that might make the game a lot more fun again. I always have a bit of respect for a company for seeing the error of their ways and remove features that have already been implemented too. It shows there is a desire to make their product good. 
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...