Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you a programmer?

l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic Discussion
Are you a programmer? If so, which languages?

(inside joke: No, being good at math does not make you a programmer!)

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am, just not a very good one. I prefer C++ but most places seem to want C# and Java.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    edited November 2015
    I can write my own site in HTML and CSS with a simple notepad, and I know how to use Dreamweaver. (I don't know how to use Javascript or PHP)

I know enough C++ to make a small program in Visual Studio.

Never been interested in programming beyond that, I just know what I need to know to help me along.
  • l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited November 2015
    Cleffy said:
    I am, just not a very good one. I prefer C++ but most places seem to want C# and Java.
    Java is mostly used for anything enterprise backend and in some places for webapps (this site uses coldfusion though). For some reason Google decided to use Java for Android (Apple uses Objective C and C++ for IOS) which is why Google was actually sued by Oracle (ie Java IS NOT free). You basically need to learn Java to use the clunky eclipse setup to dev for android.

They say they want C#, but in reality they really just want peons who can slap together something in Visual Basic using drag-n-drop common controls form wizard and some simple SQL server database. This is something you could learn in 5 minutes and probably the lowest form of IT :p.
    C# is basically Microsoft's competition to Java.

Anything dealing with something hardcore like gaming or scientific simulations or embedded programming will require c++ (well, typically C with some ASM for embedded).

Sometimes you need to learn a crappy language like C# or even PHP (facebook is often called the "php dungeon") so you can pay your bills. You can always use your fav language at home.

I'm currently working on:

I'm making my old code modern and I'm making it multithreaded (which is really really hard).
    There is no sky nor texture on the ground in this pic, just running it to see if whats done works. Its basically just a dragon flying over white terrain LOL until the sky, ground, and trees start working.

Some of my old stuff (like 2008 old)

I didn't actually take any classes in game dev nor do I work as a game developer, I just dabble with it in my spare time. Heck, I'm not even good with math! (inside joke).
    Post edited by l2avism on
  • sZakootaisOPsZakootaisOP Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I can print Hello World! anyday :D
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    VB 6.0, VB 2008, COBOL in academic settings along with  MySQL/SQL, Java, HTML 5.0/JavaScript in a hobbyist setting(MySQL/Java also academic).

As for actual non-school projects made missile command in java, and some half actualized platformers.   For JavaScript currently working on a 2D platformer slowly. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    anemo said:
    VB 6.0, VB 2008, COBOL in academic settings along with  MySQL/SQL, Java, HTML 5.0/JavaScript in a hobbyist setting(MySQL/Java also academic).

As for actual non-school projects made missile command in java, and some half actualized platformers.   For JavaScript currently working on a 2D platformer slowly. 
    is that you sockobird?