Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade developers cave to western feminists. Western version censored.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Dont know why they got her dressed like she about to strip dance in the first place exploring an uncharted world.
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,115
    So changing the game so it doesn't cater to pedophiles is now western feminism? lol
    This isn't pedophilia, stop trying to extend the definition and make it sound heinous. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,731
    fodell54 said:
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.
    its not about nude pixels, its about censorship. Yes, having almost nude females in video games that have nothing to do with nudity is ridiculous, but supporting censorship by purchasing the censored version and saying "who gives a shit" is even more pathetic.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,706
    tawess said:
    Aori said:
    fodell54 said:
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.
    I've been called pathetic since the 90s for simply being a gamer, this isn't anything new and will survive.
    And still this is not about you... no matter how much you like it to be =P 
    Yep, this is simply outrage that misogyny doesn't get the free pass that it's always enjoyed.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    fodell54 said:

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    There are no "minors" in video games.  There is no "exploitation" of a video game character that does not exist.  You are standing up for the rights of ones and zeros on a server in Japan.  There is nobody to defend, no moral crusade, no banner to wave and no ideal to champion here for anybody.  Nobody is a pedophile for looking at sexualized video game characters of any age in any state of dress, any more than they would be a murderer in any game they play for lopping off the enemy's heads, or putting a bullet through their eye with a headshot.

Even small children understand the difference between fantasy and reality.  Apparently there are adults in this thread who have yet to reach that level of maturity, which is a bit of a shame, but it provides a good sample size for where the world is headed.  This, like all other similar circumstances, is just an easy target for the people who spend their days looking for something -- anything -- to be offended by, so that they can feel like they belong to a group of people who matter in some way, no matter how insignificant.

Art is art.  Save your outrage for things that matter, like real child sex rings, war, famine and starvation, crime, homelessness and things that are truly a travesty in the world, not the "rights" of a video game character.  If you don't like it, don't play it.

Torval said:
    tawess said:
    Aori said:
    fodell54 said:
    I've been called pathetic since the 90s for simply being a gamer, this isn't anything new and will survive.
    Yep, this is simply outrage that misogyny doesn't get the free pass that it's always enjoyed.
    Crap like this irritates me, I haven't degraded woman, I haven't mentioned a word about the whole feminism movement. 

Yet people want to keep dragging the conversation down this route. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,625
    She represents a minor. 
    What else is there to understand?
    She represents a minor.
    and?

• RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 5,979
    She represents a minor. 
    your point?

I can google minors in bathing suits right now. 

If i were living in Iran I don't think I could but ... hmmm ... or the USA soon, it seems. 

Maybe the real question is.
    Why do you want this?
    edited November 2015
    Maybe the real question is.
    Why do you want this?
    I don't know who you're referring to, but I want the original version of the game, as intended by the developer.

Whether that means polka dot bikinis, or eskimos with umbrellas, isn't the problem...I want to see the vision, as intended by the developer.

If Nintendo is forced by authorities, to change things, fine. I understand minors shouldn't be playing certain games and I understand some things are restricted.

What we are seeing right now, is something very different, it is developer houses, swaying to public opinion and PC correctness.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,112
    Loktofeit said:
    Iselin said:
    Nothing good has come out of this 2nd wave feminism.

Feminism has much to answer for denigrating men and encouraging women to seek independence whatever the cost to their families.
    I find it amazing that blatantly political misogynist propaganda is spouted willy-nilly in gaming forums these days. It's like GG has given license for all the wackos to come out of their hateful closets.
    Whoa, dude... unlike you, they didn't attack or insult anyone. They simply said they felt nothing good has come from this wave of feminism - not "all feminists" or "all feminism" - just this wave of it. 

So, take a breather, consider the source, and calm down. In all the time posting here, have you EVER seen Calm be the type of person you described? Of course not, so why go against logic and your own experience with the person to lash out in such a vitriolic manner? 

Take it easy. We're all on the same team in more ways than you realize. :) 

In the context of this thread, the imagined role of feminism in the self-censoring of a video game by the developers was introduced by the OP. as it so often is these days, as a gratuitous polarizing political statement of a certain very recognizable stripe.

That conservative media incited perspective is the thing that doesn't belong in gaming forums. Regardless of who piles onto the anti-feminist (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th wave... it makes no difference) political propaganda.

This is the second time this weekend I've seen this here. The first was in the stereotypical "why they ban me?" post over in the Shroud of the Avatar forum where the reason for the ban was, once again, a blatantly misogynist post by that OP. In that case, GG was even specifically referred to by the OP's post in question.

I realize that the US election rhetoric is gearing up again. Hopefully, we can keep the worst of the special interest group hate mongering out of here.

As to vitriol... well, I'm a member of visible minority and have seen more than my share of both, overt and disguised bigotry directed at me. I probably react stronger to mindless homogenized slights directed at worthy causes than those for whom this is merely an intellectual exercize.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    fodell54 said:
    its not about nude pixels, its about censorship. Yes, having almost nude females in video games that have nothing to do with nudity is ridiculous, but supporting censorship by purchasing the censored version and saying "who gives a shit" is even more pathetic.
    There is no censorship here. A government hasn't stepped in and said you may not print or publish this. This is a publisher that has chosen to change their artwork for a different culture and demographic. They have made this as a business decision, not because they aren't allowed to. There is a huge difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edited November 2015
    She represents a minor. 
    It is a swimsuit, nothing less nothing more. I can probably pool out a Sears catalog and see the same gosh damn thing. I can go to the local pull see it in real life, I can go to a beach and see it there too.

What I want to understand is the battles we choose. Children killing children? no one bats an eye. Teenager in a bathing suit in a video game? Holy shit the western world has to stop.
    To legally look at illegal material, of course. wait, that doesnt seem logical.
    Because somehow I'm a horrible person and all that's wrong with society concentrated into a single fat ball of flesh and decadence. 

the short answer is this: "I'll never play it. And therefore I will never look at that. I simply dislike when the decision to look or not to look is made for me by someone else".

It's an east european thing. From your side of the Wall you wouldn't understand.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 2,986
    Kiyoris said:
    I think the amount of censorship is ridiculous. They can not even show a woman's breast anymore or Apple decides to pull the game from their app store.

These things used to hang in churches.

Now it is FORBIDDEN to even show a woman's breast in a game anymore.

Crazy.

They are human bodies, they should be celebrated, not hidden away.

I really get what you are saying.  And most of the time I would stand behind you.  But, after reading some of the comments.  I believe the character is a young teenager.  That alone makes me glad they censored it.  Asia and the middle earth.. east I mean can keep their pedo culture there.  

There is no reason for a young girl to be represented like that.  Another way to look at it.  There are a lot young female gamers who want a great female character to relate to them from the game of their choice.  In the original Xenoblade they get the choice of great male characters and what looks like a young sex slave recently purchased from human trafficking.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,112
    Iselin said:

Feminism has much to answer for denigrating men and encouraging women to seek independence whatever the cost to their families.
    I find it amazing that blatantly political misogynist propaganda is spouted willy-nilly in gaming forums these days. It's like GG has given license for all the wackos to come out of their hateful closets.
    It's actually a quote from a conservative woman, just like me. I grew up in a conservative family, I like my partner, we love our children, and we believe, those are the core values of a society. Not new age feminism that creates division between the sexes. Other women tell me, that my way of life, taking care of children, and choosing to take care of my family and husband, creates "patriarchy" and is wrong. I feel people should be able to choose, do and live how they like.
    Feminists of any wave would be the first to support your right to choose to live your life as you wish. I know many feminists and I can't say I've ever run into the media caricature feminists you're afraid of.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Interesting on this topic is always this...

Lorenzo Lotto. Venus and Cupid. Oil on canvas. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA

I wonder if the Metropolitan Museum Of Art is rated R or censored. Do you have to be 18 to enter?

http://www.abcgallery.com/L/lotto/lotto26.html

Aori said:
    Torval said:
    tawess said:
    Aori said:
    fodell54 said:
    Crap like this irritates me, I haven't degraded woman, I haven't mentioned a word about the whole feminism movement. 

I wasn't specifically pointing at you, but you are defending the premise of the OP which shows a contempt for a women's right movement and women in general. That's pretty much the definition of misogyny.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Robokapp said:
    She represents a minor. 
    your point?

I can google minors in bathing suits right now. 

If i were living in Iran I don't think I could but ... hmmm ... or the USA soon, it seems. 
    I didn't see anything about who made the decision to modify the appearance. You guys make it sound like there was some politician or lobby group pushing for this. It was probably the developer voluntarily looking to stay away from controversy in the West. Blame who you must. But I doubt this is a case where your freedoms are being chipped away.
    edited November 2015
    Robokapp said:
    Interesting on this topic is always this...

Lorenzo Lotto. Venus and Cupid. Oil on canvas. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA

I wonder if the Metropolitan Museum Of Art is rated R or censored. Do you have to be 18 to enter?

http://www.abcgallery.com/L/lotto/lotto26.html
    According to many here, this 18th century painting should be censored and banned.

Not only is it a minor, it is a minor without any clothing.

They feel, they have the moral authority, to censor others.

Loktofeit said:
    Iselin said:
    Nothing good has come out of this 2nd wave feminism.

Whoa, dude... unlike you, they didn't attack or insult anyone. They simply said they felt nothing good has come from this wave of feminism - not "all feminists" or "all feminism" - just this wave of it. 

So, take a breather, consider the source, and calm down. In all the time posting here, have you EVER seen Calm be the type of person you described? Of course not, so why go against logic and your own experience with the person to lash out in such a vitriolic manner? 

Take it easy. We're all on the same team in more ways than you realize. :)
    What? He's not allowed to call it out like he sees it? The term feminism in this article is used to paint a picture denigrating women who don't like sexualized minors being pedaled to minors. The OP and those, like Calm, haven't mentioned a specific group that instigated this. They're using it as a derogatory term to group anyone who disagrees with them. Why haven't they called out a single group? Because the publisher didn't do this as a result of some organized protest.

Then they go on to make disparaging comments about western culture because it doesn't glorify pedophilia like some Asian cultures.

Basically the OP and those defending it are lashing out women as the cause of this small change. @tawess above really outlined it well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Torval said:

Basically the OP and those defending it are lashing out women as the cause of this small change. @tawess above really outlined it well.
    Wrong, I love women. But I don't like groups standing on a moral high ground, telling others what they can and can't do. No one appointed them.
    Torval said:
    Aori said:
    Torval said:
    tawess said:
    Aori said:
    fodell54 said:

I wasn't specifically pointing at you, but you are defending the premise of the OP which shows a contempt for a women's right movement and women in general. That's pretty much the definition of misogyny.
    Well the person you quoted was responded to me so, it was assumed.

Sailor Moon, sexualized 14 year old girls who fight for their lives and actually die! Repeatedly in fact. Most popular demographic for this content? Females, still to this day. 

What about their rights? If these movements had their way, Sailor Moon never would have existed. I want to see feminist pry Sailor Moon paraphernalia from female fans hands.

These new waves aren't standing up for womens rights and never have been.