Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade developers cave to western feminists. Western version censored.

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited November 2015
    In fact, most of the male characters in Asian games are quite effeminate looking.
    And you think because asian developers prefer effeminate males, the men aren't sexualized in Asian games?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,106
    Kiyoris said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X – Lin’s outfits changed in the west.

The more-revealing outfits are from the Japanese version. The ones with less skin exposed are from the European (and presumably North American) version.

Are you sure they didn't just cave to better taste?

Sovrath said:
    Kiyoris said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X – Lin’s outfits changed in the west.

The more-revealing outfits are from the Japanese version. The ones with less skin exposed are from the European (and presumably North American) version.

Considering how horrendous this now looks, no.

edited November 2015
    Ghavrigg said:
    The censorship itself seems to be a joke (not that it's happening, just a "fuck you" to censorship by making it looks so ridiculous). They turned her from a tall chick in bra and panties or bikini or whatever, to a weird looking, muscle-atrophied, eye-patched old midget woman.

I think so too, I think it's a "fuck you" to the whiners, because it now looks terrible.

I will import the game.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,670
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look any better. It's not even that much different to make such a fuss over. I would prefer to leave sexualization out of it completely. It doesn't add anything to the gameplay or story.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
    edited November 2015
    Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look any better.
    of course not, it's the same censored version
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.
    I don't disagree with the point you're making. I think women are objectified and oversexualized a lot more often than men. However, I don't want to see that used as a justification for promoting the practice. I don't want to see men or women objectified. I especially when it adds absolutely nothing to the story or gameplay.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

edited November 2015
    Torval said:
    However, I don't want to see that used as a justification for promoting the practice. I don't want to see men or women objectified. I especially when it adds absolutely nothing to the story or gameplay.
    I hate people calling for more naked men or women, for their own sake.

For me the art direction is sacred, and should not be tampered with.

It has nothing to do with having more or less nakedness.

It is about freedom of expression and artistic license developers should have, that should be sacred.

I disagree with people completely who say "there should be more men or women naked or less".

What I don't want, is people, often women groups, (sorry but I'm going to call a spade a spade, it is almost always SJW / feminists) trying to censor games.

It is even more ridiculous, that the people trying to censor games, are often not even gamers, or don't even play the games they want censored.
    Kiyoris said:
    Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look better either. It just shows more skin. How does it look better?

Even if the developer/publisher decided to do a poor job on the new art that has nothing to do with changing the outfit and everything to do with their poor work ethic. They obviously don't really care about the western audience and are willing to sell low quality work for a cash grab. That's about par for the course for most Japanese companies with Western translations.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

edited November 2015

Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look better either. It just shows more skin. How does it look better?

It looks far better to me, I like to see the ORIGINAL version, the version the developers had in mind.

If it is naked, or clothed, blue, or black, good or bad looking, I would like to see the original game.

Not the game that was changed by the last minute because some clown at Nintendo Europe decided they wanted to censor the game.

And you can see it was a last minute fix.

And Nintendo better listen to the people who are complaining right now if they want to keep selling retail games and special editions. It's not the whiners buying their games, it's us fans.
    Kiyoris said:
    It looks far better to me, I like to see the ORIGINAL version, the version the developers had in mind.

If it is naked, or clothed, blue, or black, good or bad looking, I would like to see the original game.

Not the game that was changed by the last minute because some clown at Nintendo Europe decided they wanted to censor the game.

And you can see it was a last minute fix.

And Nintendo better listen to the people who are complaining right now if they want to keep selling retail games and special editions. It's not the whiners buying their games, it's us fans.
    What's so important about seeing sexualized minors just because it was an original version?

And it is completely the fault of the developer that they made a last minute change and did a poor job. It shows they accept a poor standard and are willing to cash grab for it.

They could have planned it out. Did Western ratings systems just sneak up on them? They've had 30 years of doing this. Nope, it's because they're willing to shovel out crap.

And lol at the threat of listening to the self-proclaimed fans. The fans are the people who buy the game. If they thought your demographic were the fans and could make them the most money they would have taken the adult rating. Nope, this decision was calculated on making the most money. That's what Nintendo is all about.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,930
    Kiyoris said:

What I don't want, is people, often women groups, (sorry but I'm going to call a spade a spade, it is almost always SJW / feminists) trying to censor games.

As long as we're shoveling...stuff. You seem to be jumping to conclusions based on your own obvious prejudice against feminists.

Who's to say that the company itself, thinking of nothing but their bottom line, and sensitive to the fact that some cultural things don't translate well when viewed by audiences with a different cultural bias, didn't make the change simply to try to sell more units?

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,025
    Im OK if the game does not have skimpy outfits, but i am NOT OK if they censor a particular region for ANY reason. While the picture on the left looks better suited for combat than the picture on the right, i would not pay a single dollar for that game for the simple fact that they are censoring it and i will never support censorship.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Question for the outraged duo of Aori and Kyoris... can you link to where it said anyone other than the developers asked to make the change?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't think this is really an issue about Skimpy or suggestive clothing in a game, so much as its an issue involving the sexualisation of minors, if the devs changed the outfits because they didn't want to get hit with a 'mature' rating for their game, then thats not censorship anyway, its no different to what happens in films where bits are edited out so that they can keep things like 12 or 15 ratings, rather than risk reducing the viewing audience by being hit with an 18 rating. Its not about censorship, as has already been pointed out, its about money.
    This would be an argument far easier to understand for some, if it was about the 'gore factor' in the game, if they had toned down the visual representation of the wounds being inflicted in combat, in order to keep the age rating of the game down, that would be easier to understand. I think people will just have to accept, that child nudity or sexualisation in a game will increase its age rating proportionally, not to mention might actually get the game banned in some countries, it has happened, so if the developers want to market their game to as wide an audience as possible, they do what they have to do, this is after all, all about money.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Kiyoris said:
    Tybost said:
    Against censorship as it does not represent the developers original intended design
    My main problem with censoring games, is that lately, it is people who have nothing to do with these games, aren't fans of these games, and often don't even play games...who start telling developers what they can and can't do.

They have no right to do that, they have appointed themselves as moral authority, they should be ignored by every developer, because censorship is a very dangerous and slippery slope.
    If they're censoring it, they're doing so out of deference to religious conservatives not feminists.  I hate to break it to you but there are way way more crazy religious people than feminists in America, and yes they have appointed themselves as moral authority.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,509
    Who cares if it gets censored? Just bring it to west already.
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,161
    Loktofeit said:
    Question for the outraged duo of Aori and Kyoris... can you link to where it said anyone other than the developers asked to make the change?
    I'm not really outraged, I have no intentions of running around in a bikini fighting monsters, ruins the immersion. As I said in my first post, I simply don't understand their decision when their last game didn't remove those options.

My other responses were to the people of the thread more than anything else, who are ok with the current hypocrisy censorship in the west.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Aori said:
    Loktofeit said:
    I'm not really outraged, I have no intentions of running around in a bikini fighting monsters, ruins the immersion. As I said in my first post, I simply don't understand their decision when their last game didn't remove those options.

My other responses were to the people of the thread more than anything else, who are ok with the current hypocrisy censorship in the west.
    Its not censorship though, they could have gone along with the original graphics quite easily, but it would have been an 18 rated game, age ratings are not censorship, they are what they are, whether people adhere to them is another issue, too many kids seem to get hold of 18 rated games imo. This is just the developers of the game, trying to aim the game at the largest demographic possible, an 18 rating would not allow that to happen, even a 15 rating might be limiting for them, but a 12 rating would be ideal for most games of this type, but for that, it just means that there are some things that cannot be depicted, and child nudity is one of them, its hypocrisy to suggest otherwise.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,459
    edited November 2015
    Gotta love how the topic creator just straw-mans feminists without presenting any proof or statements that it was actually feminists that caused the developers to make this decision. *eye roll*
    edited November 2015
    Gotta love how the topic creator just straw-mans feminists without presenting any proof or statements that it was actually feminists that caused the developers to make this decision. *eye roll*
    It has been feminists from the Huffington Post, that have RELENTLESSLY attacked Nintendo and their female character in games in the last couple of months.

In response, Nintendo tried to appease to them by making silly "celebrate women's history month" posters, and censoring their game characters where the most complaints come from.

But feminists didn't accept it, and they are still attacking Nintendo.

These are people that DON'T EVEN PLAY GAMES btw.

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,161
    Phry said:
    Aori said:
    Loktofeit said:

Its not censorship though, they could have gone along with the original graphics quite easily, but it would have been an 18 rated game, age ratings are not censorship, they are what they are, whether people adhere to them is another issue, too many kids seem to get hold of 18 rated games imo. This is just the developers of the game, trying to aim the game at the largest demographic possible, an 18 rating would not allow that to happen, even a 15 rating might be limiting for them, but a 12 rating would be ideal for most games of this type, but for that, it just means that there are some things that cannot be depicted, and child nudity is one of them, its hypocrisy to suggest otherwise.
    Bikini's = Strong sexual content? You're suggesting a bikini is akin to child nudity? "we can't let our children see children in bikini's!" bet that makes swim practice really freaking difficult.

Bikini's are not going to raise or lower the game rating at least for NA, no matter what it'll be T. As for PEGI which you are referring, the game would be a 16 with bikini's and probably without.
  • CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Xeno.phon said:
    There is no such thing as equality as long as feminists exist, they are no different than chauvinists and in fact have proven to be even more destructive by forcing their way into media and entertainment to force redundant changes to suit their ego.

I think after having a few female leaders it has been proven that females are just as big of messed up, violent, corrupt pieces of shit as males are. The sooner they realize that the sooner we can get back to equality.

Goodness.   Apparently in your world equality means women inferior to men.  Certainly women not having a voice about themselves.  Yes, you're right.  It was much easier on men when women were silent and men just told them what to think.  And of course, as soon as women return to their proper place in the world, well then, we'll have equality again.  Unlike now, of course, where women keep fracking everything up by trying to change the way men view them; that is, like whole, real people, just like men. 

Sadly, we can't get back to equality because there never was equality between the sexes.  There is no "back" to go to.  We can only go forward.

The art is exceptionally ugly.  But I doubt the developers changing it for the western market has anything at all to do with feminism (which, to define it properly is women having economic, social and political equality with men).  It probably has everything to do with money and the various government rating systems in Europe, US and Australia which censor games.   Rating systems, by the way, that parents demanded because of overly violent, overly sexualized games.   

And since MEN make up most of these censorship boards, your entire logic is in tatters. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    Kiyoris said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    If they tone it down, it means a larger audience and more money.
    That censoring games results in higher sales is completely unsubstantiated, don't claim things you can't prove.
    In most cases like this it's not exactly censorship itself  that leads to these changes..it's often dev teams themselves changing their presentation to meet a certain rating (more sales). A Teen rating will draw a larger market share in the US for such a game (anime themed) as an example, the rating system in Australia is also quite often the cause of changes in games as well as movies.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    Kiyoris said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    If they tone it down, it means a larger audience and more money.
    That censoring games results in higher sales is completely unsubstantiated, don't claim things you can't prove.
    What the frick... T rating = larger market share, no need for parental guidance in making a purchase, PC parents who will not buy mature games for their kids, can't prove? You're simply ignoring the obvious answer to a redundant question.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson