Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: 10 Reasons Why PC is Still the Best Place to Play RPGs

2

Comments

  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    'PC is best' article on a predominantly MMO site? Way to walk out on that limb MMORPG.com ;)

    'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.


    When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.


    No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.


    How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,269
    The author of the article should be a little bit more specific. PC is the best platform to play WESTERN RPGs because of the mods. I personally prefer JRPGs over western RPGs so the PC is the last platform i would think of. Also, regardless of any type of RPG, i would not give up on physical discs for steam... ever. RPG is my favorite genre and i will always collect RPGs on my shelves. Steam doesnt sell me discs.




  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,236
    2003 called and wants its PC vs consoles article back.

    Seriously? Anyone with a real job can easily afford both. I have a PC and a PS4 and each is better in certain ways for different types of entertainment and games. The only people who need to justify that one is better than the other are people who don't know how to save money properly.

    I grew up with PCs my whole life and gamed on them for 20+ years and never had a console until the PS3 generation but have to admit I will probably keep buying a console in the future along with my PC for gaming because it really does have a lot of cool features. If consoles really sucked as much as this article implies then no one would buy them, but they do.

    BTW everything this articles states is true, they have a bigger library, mods, etc, except the couch problem. That is still my number 1 fav thing on my console. I have steam, the new steam controller, and my PC hooked up to my 60 inch flat screen and its just not the same. The games are not optimized for big screen or game controllers (which steam link wont fix) and consoles still win big time over consoles for relaxing on your couch playing.

    Here is the other reason after gaming on a PC for 20 years I really enjoy consoles: how crappy and buggy modern PCs and PC software has become. My DOS games ran smoother than much of the windows based games today. Sometimes I don't feel like waiting 10 minutes after I turn on my PC for windows, adobe and every other program to update, only to have my game crash because of some odd graphic driver error I then need to spend 45 minutes debugging. Basic usability and bug free gameplay is very nice to have sometimes, hence the console.

    TLDR: Both PCs and consoles have their pros and cons and its not as one sided as this article makes it out to be. Just get a real job and you can easily afford both.

    It's not necessarily about affording both.   It could be that people wanna spend their money judiciously and get the biggest bang for their buck.  Thus PC V. Console.  For me, most of the types of games I play are PC based.  I should also mention that my slow, nubby fingers can't work the controllers, so it works out well.

    Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    In addition to what's said, I think people also need to bear in mind that PC has other values other than playing games, while console has no other values besides playing games and other entertainment related activities.

    That might not matter to some but matters to a lot of other people.

    You cannot do your tax return on a console. It is a lot harder to justify getting device that serves only one purpose (which some might consider mindless waste of time recreation) vs getting a device that actually can do other things.

    That's is also one of the reason why it is easier for people to justify spending a lot on a iPhone/Android Phone or iPad/Android tablet as oppose to getting a console (and why phones and tablets are bigger business than consoles).

  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 978
    The author of the article should be a little bit more specific. PC is the best platform to play WESTERN RPGs because of the mods. I personally prefer JRPGs over western RPGs so the PC is the last platform i would think of. Also, regardless of any type of RPG, i would not give up on physical discs for steam... ever. RPG is my favorite genre and i will always collect RPGs on my shelves. Steam doesnt sell me discs.
    So what about the games on the JRPG Maker?
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    YES! PC gamers UNITE!!! :) ~*~
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,124
    The biggest reason PC is better is because consoles haven't put a priority on RPG's since the SNES/PS1 days. There's simply not enough RPG's being made for consoles to warrant the purchase, let alone good ones.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,180
    I just find the timing of the premise here a little odd, a few years ago I would have agreed fully, as I wouldn't have expected console releases of PC RPG's to be better games, case in point Divinity: OS and Wasteland 2. While the available game-lists might be off balance, what's available on one and not the other is becoming a thing of the past.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    PC wins because Alt+Tab.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited November 2015
    I agree with the article in general, especially if we're talking about MMORPGs. DCUO on console....... meeehhhhhhh...... However, there are some wins. I actually think that D3 on console worked better than on PC. I've heard that FFXIV was good on console, but have no first party experience with it, so I can't say. I think that with emerging action-oriented gameplay mechanics, though, and the limiting of skills, I think that the console could end up being a great place for MMORPGs. GW2 would probably do alright on console.

    CRPGs and MMORPGs I'll probably stick with PC, but some of the newer stuff like Destiny and, eventually, The Division, I'll play on console.

    Also, I would poo-poo the cost thing above. I'm really sorry, but the cost of a graphics card which will run current-gen games on high outweighs the cost of an entire console (which is why console owners should consider themselves lucky). Unless you happen across a great deal on black friday or some other holiday event, the $300 or $500 build is just as much an illusion as the "optimized graphics" of a console.
    Post edited by CrazKanuk on

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,271
    The author of the article should be a little bit more specific. PC is the best platform to play WESTERN RPGs because of the mods. I personally prefer JRPGs over western RPGs so the PC is the last platform i would think of. Also, regardless of any type of RPG, i would not give up on physical discs for steam... ever. RPG is my favorite genre and i will always collect RPGs on my shelves. Steam doesnt sell me discs.
    PC has come a long way in the JRPG genre, Steam has a ton of JRPGs available now. Major JRPG franchises are also coming to PC earlier now too, which is great. However, I will always have my Nintendo for Zelda and my Playstation for the JRPGs that never make their way to the PC.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kaneth said:
    The author of the article should be a little bit more specific. PC is the best platform to play WESTERN RPGs because of the mods. I personally prefer JRPGs over western RPGs so the PC is the last platform i would think of. Also, regardless of any type of RPG, i would not give up on physical discs for steam... ever. RPG is my favorite genre and i will always collect RPGs on my shelves. Steam doesnt sell me discs.
    PC has come a long way in the JRPG genre, Steam has a ton of JRPGs available now. Major JRPG franchises are also coming to PC earlier now too, which is great. However, I will always have my Nintendo for Zelda and my Playstation for the JRPGs that never make their way to the PC.
    I would agree. Steam is an awesome place to find the old school JRPGs. That's really a product of the tools, though. I mean I think that it's primarily a product of RPG Maker more than anything else. I just wish that RPG Maker would allow for the publishing to consoles. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I guess it just depends on what you want to play.  I prefer JRPGs over Western style RPGs, and they almost always release on console first.  We're starting to see more ports of JRPGs to PC lately though. (Square Enix has been pretty active here, as well as localization efforts from companies such as XSEED)

    I'm kinda surprised that developers are bringing their releases to PC due to piracy and all, but in the case of ports from console to PC I guess they've already made what they wanted to and this is just icing on the cake.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    nbtscan said:
    I guess it just depends on what you want to play.  I prefer JRPGs over Western style RPGs, and they almost always release on console first.  We're starting to see more ports of JRPGs to PC lately though. (Square Enix has been pretty active here, as well as localization efforts from companies such as XSEED)

    I'm kinda surprised that developers are bringing their releases to PC due to piracy and all, but in the case of ports from console to PC I guess they've already made what they wanted to and this is just icing on the cake.
    Oh, do people still pirate games? Who knew? :) 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    edited November 2015
    CrazKanuk said:
    nbtscan said:
    I guess it just depends on what you want to play.  I prefer JRPGs over Western style RPGs, and they almost always release on console first.  We're starting to see more ports of JRPGs to PC lately though. (Square Enix has been pretty active here, as well as localization efforts from companies such as XSEED)

    I'm kinda surprised that developers are bringing their releases to PC due to piracy and all, but in the case of ports from console to PC I guess they've already made what they wanted to and this is just icing on the cake.
    Oh, do people still pirate games? Who knew? :) 
    Not really sure what the point of your comment is?  Care to elaborate on a point, such as the amount of PC sales outweighs any lost profits due to potential software piracy, or something?

    It's clearly an issue, otherwise DRM wouldn't be a thing and we'd be able to copy games willy nilly like the old floppy disk days.
    Post edited by nbtscan on
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,088
    Well the PC wins for me hands down.  I just like the flexibility it offers.  For me the mouse/keyboard owns any controller, I even connect that combo to my consoles at times for games that support such.  

    The current consoles are already outdated.  You cannot play a 4k game on them and even if they provide that ability in the future the graphic chips in those consoles will struggle mightily.

    The great thing about the PC I can upgrade it when I need to.  Console players are stuck with what they have.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 7,515
    I little strange because consoles are proprietary pc's. So the article is about pc vs pc? Or consoles vs free range pc's.

    "The courage to walk into the Darkness, but strength to return to the Light." Parables of the Allspring, Destiny

  • GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    oh wow. a true PC master race article lol. joking aside, yup RPG is a PC first genre, just like fighting games are/were a console first genre (yea you can use a controller for PC too, duh)..

    my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

    most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

  • GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited November 2015
    nbtscan said:
    I guess it just depends on what you want to play.  I prefer JRPGs over Western style RPGs, and they almost always release on console first.  We're starting to see more ports of JRPGs to PC lately though. (Square Enix has been pretty active here, as well as localization efforts from companies such as XSEED)

    I'm kinda surprised that developers are bringing their releases to PC due to piracy and all, but in the case of ports from console to PC I guess they've already made what they wanted to and this is just icing on the cake.
    consoles have pirate versions. they don't get hacked/cracked fast, but once they do, pirated console versions come out sooner than PC versions usually. (leak). DRM was used to fight piracy for real back in the days but not as much anymore. now it's about turning PC into a semi-closed platform for different reasons. for example it's an illusion to convince investor in the safety among other things. sometimes flashing the amount of money you made from PC is not enough. you may think investors are aware, but no they aren't. they usually don't just invest in one industry, so they can't keep being updated with all industries.
    Post edited by Gretelda on

    my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

    most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

  • Z-manXZ-manX Member UncommonPosts: 6
    CrazKanuk said:
    I would poo-poo the cost thing above. I'm really sorry, but the cost of a graphics card which will run current-gen games on high outweighs the cost of an entire console (which is why console owners should consider themselves lucky). Unless you happen across a great deal on black friday or some other holiday event, the $300 or $500 build is just as much an illusion as the "optimized graphics" of a console.
    You can easily pick up a couple of "high end", previous gen or just before , graphics cards for $50-$75 each on EBay brand new in the box, never used and run them in SLI and get awesome graphics that can well outperform a brand new single card at 2-3x cheaper. If you already have a card that can run in SLI if you had another, all the better. CPU, mobo and RAM upgrades even cheaper if your not obsessed with having the most current versions. In fact if you do it right you can make something better. For example Find a well priced previous gen dual CPU mobo and CPU's and you can make a PC that outperforms a much more expensive current single processor setup. I just looked on Ebay and found a Dual CPU socket LGA 1155 mobo for $35 and 1155 quad cores from $20-$45ea
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Z-manX said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    I would poo-poo the cost thing above. I'm really sorry, but the cost of a graphics card which will run current-gen games on high outweighs the cost of an entire console (which is why console owners should consider themselves lucky). Unless you happen across a great deal on black friday or some other holiday event, the $300 or $500 build is just as much an illusion as the "optimized graphics" of a console.
    You can easily pick up a couple of "high end", previous gen or just before , graphics cards for $50-$75 each on EBay brand new in the box, never used and run them in SLI and get awesome graphics that can well outperform a brand new single card at 2-3x cheaper. If you already have a card that can run in SLI if you had another, all the better. CPU, mobo and RAM upgrades even cheaper if your not obsessed with having the most current versions. In fact if you do it right you can make something better. For example Find a well priced previous gen dual CPU mobo and CPU's and you can make a PC that outperforms a much more expensive current single processor setup. I just looked on Ebay and found a Dual CPU socket LGA 1155 mobo for $35 and 1155 quad cores from $20-$45ea
    Interesting point....... I actually never considered e-Bay. Hmmmmm, now you've got me thinking. I DO need a couple new PCs for my kids...... Thanks for the tip! My wife will now officially hate you. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • Z-manXZ-manX Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I dislike consoles not because of what they are or their lack luster performance or ,IMO, inferior gaming controls compared to a decent PC but because of why they were made in the first place which was create a new money sink for Japanese companies to capitalize on. One which is entirely proprietary to the maker of that console because at the time there wasn't any Japanese making PC's and PC gaming was starting to carve a real niche. There was never any reason but that for consoles to be made. PC's can and always could do everything better than a console and much more while consoles serve a single purpose function. Well... other than to take your money. It's like if you lived in place which had good places to eat, Italian, Chinese, Thai etc but only one pizza joint. Now even though the Italian restaurant makes better pizza and so much more they don't have Coke, only Pepsi because the pizza joint made sure they were the only place that had Coke and you love Coke.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,306
    RPGs are dead. There hasn't been a decent one in years. The first chapter or two of Divinity is decent, but after that it blows. All of these games making money off classic ips are crap. The last decent RPG was the BG series. 15 years ago.
    You cannot be serious. The Witcher series, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, Skyrim, and that's just to start. RPG's are at an all time high. Its MMORPG's that are having a problem. For good reason. Because the developers won't listen to the players and are offering less now than they were ten years ago. 
  • ReddogBEReddogBE Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Z-manX said:
    I dislike consoles not because of what they are or their lack luster performance or ,IMO, inferior gaming controls compared to a decent PC but because of why they were made in the first place which was create a new money sink for Japanese companies to capitalize on. One which is entirely proprietary to the maker of that console because at the time there wasn't any Japanese making PC's and PC gaming was starting to carve a real niche. There was never any reason but that for consoles to be made. PC's can and always could do everything better than a console and much more while consoles serve a single purpose function. Well... other than to take your money. It's like if you lived in place which had good places to eat, Italian, Chinese, Thai etc but only one pizza joint. Now even though the Italian restaurant makes better pizza and so much more they don't have Coke, only Pepsi because the pizza joint made sure they were the only place that had Coke and you love Coke.
    Ignorant drivel. The first succesfull consoles were made by american companies. Magnavox, Fairchild, and Atari. They were in aspects better at suited for home consumption. costing about 150$ instead of 10000$ for computers at the time.

    They were made as a cheaper alternative for the pc and did and still do a very good job at this. They are indeed more limited in possibilities these days.

    Still i think pc is better suited for a lot of games. Well not pc per se but the keyboard mouse combo is by far the best for me.

    RPG is better on a pc as those allow for more in depth ui controls than most console. Consoles do miss the finesse one can have on a PC
Sign In or Register to comment.