Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the genre need another shadowbane?

2»

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited November 2015
    Loktofeit said:
    ArChWind said:

Not going to answer the poll since the options are rather silly worded.

As for another OW FFA I think the market is over saturated as is. If anyone remembers DAoC had a OW FFA server called Mordred. All looked great for the first 5 months and the population slowly dwindled to nothing. I mean nothing as in not one person was logged in to this server. Seems they all ran off to another OW FFA which dwindled to nothing and went again to the next OW FFA that dwindled to nothing.

Of course all the new ones are promising all good things but the end result is still competing for the same crowd that is slowing realizing that MOBA are better suited since they can get in, kill each other and get out quickly

Read up on the campaigns. You will see that they're thinking along the same lines you are, only with the "MOBA" part being 1, 3, or even 6 months long. Here's a link:

https://crowfall.com/#/faq/campaign-modules

Probably why I said not another OW FFA like Shadowbane?

edit:  I know what they are doing. I think this will go far if done right.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    ArChWind said:

As for another OW FFA I think the market is over saturated as is.

Interesting, I see nothing.
    ArChWind said:
    If anyone remembers DAoC had a OW FFA server called Mordred. All looked great for the first 5 months and the population slowly dwindled to nothing.

No, DAoC had at least two - Mordred and Andred, and they both worked well for much longer than you think or seem to remember. Of course, they were in minority and suffered proportionally from general population issues DAoC had.

Speaking of  "dwindling to nothing", "not one person was logged in to this server" and "5 months" - Mordred was up untill 2013.

ArChWind said:
    Seems they all ran off to another OW FFA which dwindled to nothing and went again to the next OW FFA that dwindled to nothing.
    You should read some basics about Crowfall before commenting. Hint: it's not FFA, and it will be "dwindling to nothing" it's servers/campaigns - including the FFA ones - regularly. That, besides many other differences with games that are "oversaturating" the market.

Comparing Shadowbane to MOBAs doesn't actually deserve serious comment; same as anything from above, thou.

W...aaagh?
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    ArChWind said:

As for another OW FFA I think the market is over saturated as is.

Interesting, I see nothing.
    ArChWind said:
    If anyone remembers DAoC had a OW FFA server called Mordred. All looked great for the first 5 months and the population slowly dwindled to nothing.

No, DAoC had at least two - Mordred and Andred, and they both worked well for much longer than you think or seem to remember. Of course, they were in minority and suffered proportionally from general population issues DAoC had.

Speaking of  "dwindling to nothing", "not one person was logged in to this server" and "5 months" - Mordred was up untill 2013.

ArChWind said:
    Seems they all ran off to another OW FFA which dwindled to nothing and went again to the next OW FFA that dwindled to nothing.
    You should read some basics about Crowfall before commenting. Hint: it's not FFA, and it will be "dwindling to nothing" it's servers/campaigns - including the FFA ones - regularly. That, besides many other differences with games that are "oversaturating" the market.

Comparing Shadowbane to MOBAs doesn't actually deserve serious comment; same as anything from above, thou.

Humm.. Seems this is in general talking about a game called Shadowbane what the fuck did Crowfall have to do with it? Was I saying anthing about crowfall? Mordred was UP. Yes sir it was UP just like the test server which had more population.

Crowfall is NOT Shadowbane or anywhere close.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    waynejr2 said:
    l2avism said:
    For those of you who haven't played shadowbane, it was awesome. You had

Aelfborn Aracoix Centaur Dwarf Elf Half Giant Human Irekei Minotaur Nephilim Shades Vampire

races that could be

Assassin • Barbarian Bard • Channeler Confessor • Crusader Doomsayer • Druid Fury • Huntress Necromancer Nightstalker Prelate • Priest Ranger • Scout Sentinel • Templar Thief • Warlock Warrior • Wizard

classes that could take 4 of

Animator, Archer, Archmage, Artillerist, Battle Magus, Belgosch, Berserker, Black Mask, Blade Master, Blade Weaver, Blood Horn, Blood Prophet, Bounty Hunter, Clanwarden, Commander, Conjurer, Dark Knight, Darksworn, Drannok, Enchanter, Forge Master, Giant Killer, Gladiator, Gorgoi, Huntsman, Knight, Prospector, Rat Catcher, Rune Caster, Saboteur, Sanctifier, Sapper, Savant, Shroudborne, Skydancer, Storm Lord, Strigoi, Summoner, Sun Dancer, Thrall, Traveler, Undead Hunter, Valkyr, Werebear, Wererat, Werewolf, Wyrmslayer

disciplines.

Shadowbane was an open world sandbox where there were only like 4 non-player owned cities. The rest of the map was completely devoid of buildings until players claimed it and built cities. The largest city could tax that zone. Being a tax collector was a dangerous job as you had to walk up to the other cities and take the gold and then run back without being murdered. There were also resource mines that you controlled for crafting materials.
    Crafting in shadowbane was very different than norm. The NPC's in a city did all of the crafting. Players could not craft. Leveling was very fast as the game was focused around PvP. It was not uncommon to level up every character slot to max in 2 weeks or less. Nor was it uncommon to delete characters and make new ones to match the needs of an upcoming seige.
    Cities could be destroyed by another guild(s) using a bane mechanism. The defending guild had to agree on a time, and then the city could be taken once the tree in the middle was destroyed.

So, would you play another shadowbane?

How about polls without the stupid extra comments?
    [ ] yes
    [ ] no

vs

[ ] yes, I don't know how to create a poll.
    [ ] no, I am an idiot.
    [ ] idk, I fear making a choice.

The point was trying to get a reason why you answered no.
    However, it seems that you always seem to resort to throwing insults at people you disagree with.
    You are incapable of handling even an ounce of sarcasm without losing your temper.
    You are the epitome of whats wrong with the mmorpg playerbase today.
  • l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited November 2015
    Loktofeit said:

Quizzical said:
    waynejr2 said:
    How about polls without the extra comments?
    It's the difference between a poll to measure opinion and a poll to try to influence it.
    I find a lot of the polls here are hard to vote in because of those extra conditionals people feel compelled to throw in. 
    Trying to get reasons why someone selected no.
    No because I dislike PVP or
    No because I strongly dislike PvP'ers or
    No because PvP is only fun for those of a lower intellect

I find it troubling that I'm having to do translations here.....
    or that all of you completely lack any sense of humor whatsoever......
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    I was put off by the poll as well. The options all sucked.

The way I interpreted the No options were "I'm scared to PVP", "PVP is for hardcores with no life.", and "PVP is for noobs" which, while I'm not a PVPer, I'd never say PVP is for noobs.

They weren't funny or cute. I'm with the many that would have preferred "Yes" or "No".

And frankly, my answer is "No".

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Loktofeit said:
    Yes. Oh, by the way, have you heard about Crowfall?
    Bingo. Crowfall seems to be offering a lot of what was good about Shadowbane, but actually learning from history and avoiding the pitfalls of Shadowbane and many of the MMOs that came after it. I normally don't go near a KS MMO but between the team and the concept, Crowfall caught my attention. 

J. Todd Coleman founded Wolfpack Studios; subsequently developed with others Shadowbane.

Subsequently created, with others, Wizard101 etc.

Now behind Crowfall. Article a month or so ago about aims and lessons learnt  over 10+ years, Wizard101 etc.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    l2avism said:
    waynejr2 said:
    l2avism said:
    For those of you who haven't played shadowbane, it was awesome. You had

Aelfborn Aracoix Centaur Dwarf Elf Half Giant Human Irekei Minotaur Nephilim Shades Vampire

races that could be

Assassin • Barbarian Bard • Channeler Confessor • Crusader Doomsayer • Druid Fury • Huntress Necromancer Nightstalker Prelate • Priest Ranger • Scout Sentinel • Templar Thief • Warlock Warrior • Wizard

classes that could take 4 of

Animator, Archer, Archmage, Artillerist, Battle Magus, Belgosch, Berserker, Black Mask, Blade Master, Blade Weaver, Blood Horn, Blood Prophet, Bounty Hunter, Clanwarden, Commander, Conjurer, Dark Knight, Darksworn, Drannok, Enchanter, Forge Master, Giant Killer, Gladiator, Gorgoi, Huntsman, Knight, Prospector, Rat Catcher, Rune Caster, Saboteur, Sanctifier, Sapper, Savant, Shroudborne, Skydancer, Storm Lord, Strigoi, Summoner, Sun Dancer, Thrall, Traveler, Undead Hunter, Valkyr, Werebear, Wererat, Werewolf, Wyrmslayer

disciplines.

Shadowbane was an open world sandbox where there were only like 4 non-player owned cities. The rest of the map was completely devoid of buildings until players claimed it and built cities. The largest city could tax that zone. Being a tax collector was a dangerous job as you had to walk up to the other cities and take the gold and then run back without being murdered. There were also resource mines that you controlled for crafting materials.
    Crafting in shadowbane was very different than norm. The NPC's in a city did all of the crafting. Players could not craft. Leveling was very fast as the game was focused around PvP. It was not uncommon to level up every character slot to max in 2 weeks or less. Nor was it uncommon to delete characters and make new ones to match the needs of an upcoming seige.
    Cities could be destroyed by another guild(s) using a bane mechanism. The defending guild had to agree on a time, and then the city could be taken once the tree in the middle was destroyed.

So, would you play another shadowbane?

How about polls without the stupid extra comments?
    [ ] yes
    [ ] no

vs

[ ] yes, I don't know how to create a poll.
    [ ] no, I am an idiot.
    [ ] idk, I fear making a choice.

The point was trying to get a reason why you answered no.
    However, it seems that you always seem to resort to throwing insults at people you disagree with.
    You are incapable of handling even an ounce of sarcasm without losing your temper.
    You are the epitome of whats wrong with the mmorpg playerbase today.

That is what you guys always say.  Do you not understand that is hurting your results? I don't care if you are upset and hurt by this. haha.

You don't decide what is the cause of what is wrong.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    gervaise1 said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Yes. Oh, by the way, have you heard about Crowfall?
    Bingo. Crowfall seems to be offering a lot of what was good about Shadowbane, but actually learning from history and avoiding the pitfalls of Shadowbane and many of the MMOs that came after it. I normally don't go near a KS MMO but between the team and the concept, Crowfall caught my attention. 

J. Todd Coleman founded Wolfpack Studios; subsequently developed with others Shadowbane.

Subsequently created, with others, Wizard101 etc.

Now behind Crowfall. Article a month or so ago about aims and lessons learnt  over 10+ years, Wizard101 etc.
    That's good to know. Thank you. ;) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    gervaise1 said:

Like Wiz101 is successful because of f2p? Or that sandbox ffa pvp is doomed to a small audience?