Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Trove a Serious MMO?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Trove looks...cute.  Is it a serious MMO with enough content to keep a vet happy?  Or is it all about building?  I never tried Minecraft, so I don't know if building is for me.

Thanks!

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    No, not really, but it's fun. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Well, fun is good.  What do you do in the game, mostly?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Trove looks...cute.  Is it a serious MMO with enough content to keep a vet happy?  Or is it all about building?  I never tried Minecraft, so I don't know if building is for me.

Thanks!

I ignored Minecraft for way too long. . Do your self a huge favour and try it out!  It is more fun to play than it looks.

I am also interested in what Trove has to offer.  There seems to be some interest in it and I would love it was something awesome that slipped under my radar *fingers crossed*

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Video games are serious?  Hobby/pastime and perhaps time sink.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Well, video games may not be serious, but that doesn't stop lots of people from taking them seriously!

Anyway, what do you spend most of your time doing in Trove?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its a terrible MMO and a worse building game , there are much better options out there.. imo
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Scorchien said:
    Its a terrible MMO and a worse building game , there are much better options out there.. imo
    I found it quite the opposite. A decent amount of tools to get creative, some cool new features for multiplayer building worlds, and an impressively social community. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well, video games may not be serious, but that doesn't stop lots of people from taking them seriously!

Anyway, what do you spend most of your time doing in Trove?

I spend all of my time not playing trove.  I played it a little just to try it.  It was nice but I am off doing other things now. :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Trove is as fun as you want it to be... Truth is, it is fun for a bit then you hit this wall where it becomes an almost incomprehensible grind for stats, gear etc... But unlike the typical "theme park" gear progression you are eternally hunting these RNG items to upgrade your gear or P2W the cash shop to short cut but still not guarantee the best items. Compound this by the amount of classes there are and you are in for the long haul.

Trove is charming in some aspect, if you look at it as a time killer, or an "in between" game but to play at even the moderately high level it takes cash and commitment.

The new player market only means this will be worse because this basically invites bots to drive the marketplace through the roof. So in the past where you could negotiate trade items between player to player interaction this is now marginalized by the fact that you can passively list items at an overly inflated price hoping that some noob bites which is the sole reason why most "aution house" game economies are destroyed by bots and gold sellers.

I should stop writing when I'm drunk...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• gaeshingaeshin Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited October 2015
    Ironically the building part is currently being ignored for a long time. It is more of a voxel MMORPG at the moment.
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The gameplay is very simplistic. Classes only have a few skills, not much options. Exploration wise, it's not very good. Mostly you just chase dungeons which are easy to find and there's isn't much to discover. Building wise, it's ok but I've seen better.
    Do you do dungeons solo or as a group?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    What is a serious MMO?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thanks!

If you're in search of a "serious MMO", refer to your playstyle as "vet", and chose to post this instead of Googling, then you probably won't give yourself the chance to enjoy Trove, so you'd probably want to try something else. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Do you do dungeons solo or as a group?
    Solo. Well, technically, you can do them with friends, but there's no content that actually requires a group. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I played briefly and if you don't like building I would pass.  For me it blends Minecraft and RPG type game and does neither very well.  However, people who like building and social aspects of fooling around with friends and family love this game.  They also introduce new content on a fairly regular basis.  If you like the Minecraft type of play you will probably like Trove. 
  • JelloSAJelloSA Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @flizzer same here
  • Raikou12Raikou12 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I wouldn't say its a serious mmo but its fun!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Trove makes no effort at being serious or even coherent.  I'd imagine a conversation among developers going like this:

Dev 1:  Don't you think feature X would be fun?

Dev 2:  Yeah.  Let's put it in.

Dev 3:  But that doesn't mesh well with anything else in the game!

Dev 1:  So?

Dev 2:  I'll get right to work on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you take your lore seriously, then Trove isn't for you.  But multi-jumping and lasermancy are fun, even if they don't make any real-world sense.  True story:  one of Trove's major character stats that you improve with gear is how many consecutive times you can jump in mid-air without having to touch the ground to reset the counter.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Not even close.  It's a 15 minute session time waster unless you want to build, and if you do then minecraft is better for that anyway.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited February 2016
    It was fun getting to the cap.  But the AA system wasn't worth sticking around for me.   the only thing I build was my base, I know you could build things in guild bases as well but I never got that far.

Minecraft is more interesting in terms of the building aspect.