Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Fail: Sacrament

RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
After finding this game and a post that was made on one of the many MMORPG Reddit months ago, I'd just like to say that his game is probably going to fail.  The only reason I'm posting this right now is because, at some point, these guys are going to ask for money from people.  I'm sure some people will still throw in money due to a having a nostalgia boner but for those of us who are interested in backing a competent "company" or a product...  Remember to look up information and to check into people you're giving money too.  So if you see this game on Kickstarter or IndieGoGo, save yourself some money!

Originally I posted this in the gaming forums but I guess it's really off topic, though I can't figure out how to delete an old post on these forums.  If somebody could help me that'd be great.

Why do I think it's going to fail?
1.) Totally volunteer based team.  They're recruiting off of their forums and their website.
2.) No actual skills for game development from the core team.  Zero experience.
3.) Totally unprofessional.  One of the podcasts has the "head" of the company mock telling his family he'd murder them as they walked into the room while he was doing a podcast.  His cat also kept blocking the view time and time again.  He also described how he shot somebody in the forehead and killed them while he was a marine.  This was mentioned after he called out and told somebody on Reddit to "Fu*k themselves" for telling him that his articles were written poorly on his games forums.
4.) Their feature list is hilariously bloated, I'm talking out of this world for an indie development team.  Let alone a volunteer team with no centralized location to work out of.

Dude has no idea what he's talking about in any of his videos.  He's using buzzwords, randomness and just outright nonsensical sh*t when he's describing things that are going to be in the game.

(Link to said video, starts at some point after the 5-minute mark.)

(The game intro that one of their only real "developers" made.)

I also asked a few questions on their forums:

1.) What game development expertise do you have besides playing games? I play a lot of games, hell, I dedicate thousands and thousands of hours a year to games. MMOs specifically. I'd like to think that I'm an informed and experienced individual when it comes to gaming, but that doesn't mean I'm fit to be a designer. It's hard work.  (The reason I asked this is because on their about page, they listed no actual experience or anything even remotely close to looking like they're capable of creating a game.  Their company profiles, at least on the Sacrament website talks about how they trained/trolled certain groups in Everquest back in the day and that's about all.  I got the generic "AAA companies don't know what they're doing, we have no experience, but we're obviously capable of providing the product that people want.)  

FULL RESPONSE TO QUESTION BELOW:

The creators ourselves have no game development expertise. We have game developers, to include Wykkyd, that we've put in place to ensure that our product is being made to satisfactory levels. We've considered reaching out to current developers but the same questions always come up: 1) With an increasingly failed "AAA" market what makes them qualified? If anything they've only proven that while they can complete a project they don't know what it takes to make a great game. 2) WHO would you go after? Brad McQuaid, would honestly be the best option but he's busy making a game. So who is left that understands what we're aiming for? Who out there understands the market as it is and not as the corporations want it to be? How could we know the quality of any of their work vs the quality of any of our current developers? They can't share source code so we can verify anything, it's all just their resume vs what we don't know. That and I haven't found one willing to help us create an initial product we can show before we open our hands to ask the public to help us create this.

As far as building an MMO the trick isn't so much with the concept of the game, in reality, because as gamers that's an easy one to pick up, right? Any intelligent gamer can see the decline in our industry, when it started, and what the general (and some of us can see the specific) reasons for the decline. So that's not really a game changing element. Don't take this to mean that I'm saying that building the MMO is cake, because as you said it's hard. Very hard. What's harder still is paying into these AAA games and watching yourself become more and more jaded to this market. The reality is that many indie studios have tried to create games and most people never hear of them... Crowd Funding just brought them out of the basement and into the spotlight. Nothing changed there except for how far a game could get before it failed for lack of proper business planning.

The true trick is to see what PLAGUES the development process. This part could get long and I haven't released this information because my team thinks it's just too much information so I'll try to keep it short. Currently our industry has the following MAJOR ISSUES glaring us in the face but no one has enough capital to correct (these are most of the major issues):
I like to complain about games.