Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction system

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2111/faction-a-good-place-for-some-innovation

I want to be able to see different quests assigned based on faction.
THIS. I much rather want access quests and gaining a title of sorts, not dullish killing mobs "oh you killed 500 bandits you're cool now".

In fact I would prefer if there is no faction system at all at release and they add it later, than having another one of these stupid killing hundreds and thousands of mobs just to get access somewhere "quests".

VG factions were added very late and honestly they did not do a good job at it. I think it was mostly to pacify gamers rather than to add complexity. I think it was mostly to pacify gamers rather than to add complexity.
Thats quite a lot errors.

VG had a faction system including KoS factions at release. IIRC you had to kill 251 mobs to enter Khal (homecity of the Qaliathari/Arab Humans) as a Darkelf.

They simply removed that after a short while, ca 2 months or so. But it was there from the start, and the factions themselves stayed. Player characters no longer have been KoS anywhere.

When they introduced racial mounts, Silius had a POLL among the players in the official forum.

I voted against it because I considered the whole issue stupid. No KoS, unless you're going for a racial mount ? Gimme a break.

But it went through. So they came up with new factions of a slightly different name. Basically if you wanted a racial mount, you could get the level 30 version for a smallish 1k hit in faction and no other issue, and later you could get a friggin 18k hit and a level 50 mount and a lesser version of the APW armor set if you didnt mind becoming KoS in certain cities.

Naturally ever since I avoided faction mounts.

Then even later they raised faction by 3 for positive gains. Meaning you could get the mount and armor, and then farm faction back. Which is how I got Khal armor pieces on my Qaliathari Dread Knight. Thankfully farming faction on a level 55 character with AoE attacks wasnt exactly hard either, so I was back in good faction pretty quickly.

Later they switched to their freemium concept and thats when everything was reset to the original state. One could get items for double faction from the shop, but I spent my points rather on other things. So none of my other characters ever did the same.

My Darkelf Cleric by the way never managed much with faction because getting faction coins on a character that was already level 50 when it was introduced was not an easy issue, especially since a Cleric doesnt have much dps by himself and the game was kinda dying. I managed the 5k faction needed for the level 30 Panther Mount from the High Elves / Leth Nurae, though. Of which 4k was for being a Darkelf, as always.

It was btw kind of funny when my Cleric had killed so much stuff and crafted so much that more and more NPCs would turn deep green for my Darkelf.

I honestly loathe that idea, sorry to say. I'm not sure how much you've read around, but there's 9 player races so far. None of which seem to be, nor have any reason to be, friendly to one another let alone aligned. They're likely not even originally from the same worlds. There should definitely not be any kind of de facto hubs unless it makes sense in the context of the game world for some reason. These races are most likely meeting for the first time after their realms were all slammed together.
I am of the opposite opinion, actually. From descriptions and the map, the 9 races look like this to me right now:

Kingsreach:
- Human - Thronefast
- Elf - Faerthale
- Halfling - Wild's End

(Unknown):
- Dwarf - Khadassa
- Gnome - Skyhold
- Archai - Su'Roa

Reignfall:
- Dark Myr - Syronai's Rest
- Ogre - Broken Maw
- Skar - Skargol

Thus I would guess its something like this:

Humans, Elves, Halflings can visit each other without problems.

Dwarves, Gnomes, Archai can visit each other as well as Humans, Elves and Halflings, but they will be reserved towards anyone not of their kind. To get best prices, everyone else has to work on faction.

Dark Myr, Ogre, Skar either attack everyone and are attacked by everyone, or they can visit each other without getting attacked, but will attack any of the other races on sight. It requires quite some work for players of these races to get access, let alone good prices, towards the cities on the other islands.

That was basically how it was in Vanguard. You're a Darkelf or Orc or Goblin, you had to do a lot of work on faction. Most other races didnt had to do much.

On a small team likes this, you want to make sure that the hours you have people working are going benefit the majority of the user base.
Ah, I'm sure they'll add some uber raid bosses that only the best of the best can slay. Game developers love to do such things.

There was a ton of raid bosses I personally never managed to kill in Vanguard.

One thing I would love to see more games do is give a visual representation of certain faction choices, like how dark side corruption actually alters your face in SW:TOR. In EQ1, you had gods of hate, disease, nightmares, war, etc. Some sort of visual indicator that shows te benefit/detriment of increasing faction as physical manifestation would be so cool. That or add bonuses to certain things like +5% to all weapon dmg for being max ally with Rallos Zek the Warlord, or +5% chance to succeed at a fear spell for being max ally with Cazic Thule. Little stuff like that would just be really cool to do with faction.
Well, I dont know about SW:TOR, but in SW:KotoR, there was the same effect. What I didnt liked was that SW:KotoR practically forced you to either play all good or all evil, because if you reached light or dark mastership, you would get huge bonusses.

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I want meaningfull factions. But factions you CAN alter. Basically Everquest with VG Diplomacy would be best.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited October 2015
    I want meaningfull factions. But factions you CAN alter. Basically Everquest with VG Diplomacy would be best.
    I really loved Vanguards Diplomacy system. It was an entire game of its own (levels, gear, story progression). That is one of the things Vanguard excelled at over any other game in the industry and I am surprised we didn't see this in more games.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Ugh.

I absolutely hated the Vanguard diplomacy system.

I despise playing card games with real people already. Being forced to play a card game with a computer was only even worse.

The only redeeming quality was that in Vanguard you had to just get a couple specific cards and you would be golden.

Well, ok, except for the "just" part. For example I've hunted solo for hours for a single "Abnegation of X" card drop. But otherwise you had to go through the Isle of Dawn questline and the other questlines after and you would end up with level 25 or some such and pretty good gear to get you going, and with a maxlevel DK I had no issues getting any of the other cards as well.

The only remaning hassle was the interface:
    - you couldnt configure your set of cards per banter type and had to constantly swap cards in and out
    - you couldnt remove unused cards into a second deck so your card book would only contain what you actually need

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I never experienced VG so Ive only read about the diplomacy system. Sounded fun though. Whatever the case, Im thinking Faction will be important in Pantheon.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Oh, I'm sorry, but Pantheon right now has no diplomacy planned for release.

Heck, they only have a simple crafting system planned.

Its very likely they will add that later, though. Just like more compex crafting systems and of course more content in general.
  • ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111

Everquest used to do faction so very well.  Hoping that Pantheon will give us a really complex faction system!
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Oh, I'm sorry, but Pantheon right now has no diplomacy planned for release.

Heck, they only have a simple crafting system planned.

Its very likely they will add that later, though. Just like more compex crafting systems and of course more content in general.
    Yep, it is probably for the best anyway. I would rather have them completely flesh out one system, covering all the angles and then put the same attention to the next system than spread out between. Though... they should put some planning and development time to "consider" how they would connect systems while they are building one, if just for future implementations. You don't want to end up designing systems into a corner where your options are limited for later editions, though you also don't want to get hit with design paralysis either. These things are certainly tricky.