Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Equipment & Inventory | MMORPG

13»

Comments

• SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    edited October 2015
    Ozmodan said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    As far as I'm aware, the current world size of CoE has me less worried about dying than most MMOs. The chances of running into some random murderer in the wild while transporting goods is probably fairly uncommon, if not rare. Not to mention, I don't think you understand CoE's mechanics into becoming a murderer. CoE isn't your typical, gankfest oriented PvP game. People who go around killing others randomly outside of war, will most likely find themselves reaching permadeath much sooner than their victims.
    Funny, every pvp game out there claims to have solved the ganking aspect, yet not one has.  What in your wildest dreams makes you think this one will, especially since we are dealing with an indie developer?
    While Soulbound Studios is an indie developer, looking at other indie developers, I think the perception towards what being an "indie" developer means isn't quite accurate. Being indie simply means that you or your company is not receiving funding from a publisher.

Now, that said, your reasoning is valid. Such a claim is often made, and often it is wrong. 

However, we are confident that the measures we have designed to deal with "gankers" will serve their purposes. 
    Post edited by SouzouMiguel on

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Ozmodan said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    As far as I'm aware, the current world size of CoE has me less worried about dying than most MMOs. The chances of running into some random murderer in the wild while transporting goods is probably fairly uncommon, if not rare. Not to mention, I don't think you understand CoE's mechanics into becoming a murderer. CoE isn't your typical, gankfest oriented PvP game. People who go around killing others randomly outside of war, will most likely find themselves reaching permadeath much sooner than their victims.
    Funny, every pvp game out there claims to have solved the ganking aspect, yet not one has.  What in your wildest dreams makes you think this one will, especially since we are dealing with an indie developer?
    While I wouldn't say it was completely solved, Age of Wushu/Wulin managed to keep this somewhat in check.  You'd get ganked every so often true, but it was an acceptable amount.  They did this by making ganking as it were undesirable by putting a counter balance to it.  If you went on a rampage your name went from white, to orange to red and finally to purple. You could get this under purple but it got expensive and you had random npc guards that would spawn on you that would try to send you to prison which means no afking.  Jail meant a long wait to either be released or executed (which meant a lengthy debuff) or you'd have to get your friends to break you out (which others could join to thwart the attempt) which was a limited number of people.

It didn't stop all ganking but it reduced it by so much that you were able to play the game without much fear of getting killed. 

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MegaMouseGWMegaMouseGW Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Skill over gear is how it should be. This crap about better gear making you stronger is not fun at all.
  • happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Cautiously optimistic...
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Ozmodan said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    While Soulbound Studios is an indie developer, looking at other indie developers, I think the perception towards what being an "indie" developer means isn't quite accurate. Being indie simply means that you or your company is not receiving funding from a publisher.

Now, that said, your reasoning is valid. Such a claim is often made, and often it is wrong. 

However, we are confident that the measures we have designed to deal with "gankers" will serve their purposes. 
    Some details would be nice. We can't judge without them. And there will be a time coming when you are going to ask us for money (KS), right?

Here, let me help out by re-posting some questions I raised earlier.

I thought they removed the soul hit thing.
    Are there jail breaks? Does it become merely more game play for PKers who are back at it with little penalty?
    How hard is it to capture a PKer, and get them to jail? Will PKer groups simply overrun the captors and take their friend back, making it even more fun game play for the PKer types?

Once upon a time....

• kombainkombain Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited October 2015
    I'm afraid there is so many promises which never could be fulfilled. We'll wait, we'll see.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Are there jail breaks? Does it become merely more game play for PKers who are back at it with little penalty?
    How hard is it to capture a PKer, and get them to jail? Will PKer groups simply overrun the captors and take their friend back, making it even more fun game play for the PKer types?
    There is some discussions that have happened in IRC but I haven't seen anything concrete, thus far it's a "this is the idea" kinda talk. But wether that happens is another matter. The dev's are always listening and reading, and if a user says something that piques their interest they are likely to speak up about it. It's happened on the odd occasion in IRC with Caspian piping up mid-discussion... for the most part taunting us with "maybe's", however all his hints are delivered from a perspecive of an Elyrian and what they know... if he does go that far.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited October 2015
    xerax said:
    Sounds like a good system but over applied. No reason you shouldn't be able to wear a necklace especially a magic necklace under a gorget or helm. It just need more effort to think it through and program it properly. NOT some marketing man to explain the developers thinking behind lazy implementayion. Secondly nothing wrong when resource gathering takes lots of effort. However it can quickly become horrible if PVP setting arnt right. Say 4 hours to gather something but only 5 mins to kill somebody who has spent 4 hours gathering it and your mate cart if off. Risk vs reward is very hard to balance in these situations. Also where resources are hard to gather like this dupe bugs can kill the game/economy overnight. Its a high bar I hope they see it through properly.
    One thing to note is that this system was retrofitted from it's original design with about 48-hours notice, there was a mechanic of it that was spotted by a keen-eyed user that in the long-term may not have been efficient.

As for PvP, it could be a 1-shot kill... however you don't suffer perma-death or a spirit walk straight up, you will fall unconscious first.

If you are mining and they think to take your backpack full of loot such as games like ARK, that won't happen as easy. To cart anything near the amount in ARK you need a pack mule of some sort and/or carts.

The carts are limited by how you can move them, so if they're loaded down with mined goods, you can take a few nuggets but not a lot. If you try run away with the cart and animals you won't get far before the player you in-capped is back up, and they will have more stamina and less fatigue than you do, and can avenge the attack... likely even in-cap you.

Between the first encounter and that I imagine it's a good 10 minutes. By that time they would have called out to friends via the out of game chat to come to their aide and you can bet that there will be 1+ other players racing towards said miner.

Most miner's would be silly to go it alone anyway and I believe the intention is to hire NPC guards and/or go out as a group, so it wouldn't be easy pickings.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    edited October 2015
    Maygus said:
    There is some discussions that have happened in IRC but I haven't seen anything concrete, thus far it's a "this is the idea" kinda talk. But wether that happens is another matter. The dev's are always listening and reading, and if a user says something that piques their interest they are likely to speak up about it. It's happened on the odd occasion in IRC with Caspian piping up mid-discussion... for the most part taunting us with "maybe's", however all his hints are delivered from a perspecive of an Elyrian and what they know... if he does go that far.

Well, they are going to have to sell gamers on their idea. We've all been here before and seen it from other games. Loose promises without detail just don't cut it these days.

Once upon a time....

• demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Not a flying chance this will look so good , have all it promised and release in 2016 . More like 2026
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Not sure on the term innovative,that might just be this site adding some spice to a topic.The way i see this is just that very old system whereby you have to fit 2/3/4 slot items into squares inside your storage compartment.A recent game using this idea if Path of Exile.

I don't mind limitations on storage however it can make a game feel cumbersome even though yes i love realism/plausible ideas and ideas that just make sense.I am talking about when we get into resource gathering to craft.If we need 50 apples to make 3 jugs of apple cider that might mean 10 trips in the field to make that and would feel slow/cumbersome.It could of course be fixed by adding in stacking,i know stacking is a semi non realistic idea but it just works for the sake of gaming.
    I think back when i started playing Tabula Rasa,i had no clue what any item i had picked up was for,so i was trying to just hang onto everything but it is not possible,especially if we have severe restrictions on storage.

I also remember playing FFXI now that game had more depth than any game i have ever played.As a Ranger i had to keep MANY arrows or Bullets for a gun as well as food as well as a Bow and a Gun gear it didn't leave much room for storing other items.Now idk if this game will keep the realism where we need to have resources to fuel our weapons or not but it should.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Following this closely.
    Friend Code: 6D8493
     :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Given the opportunity to play this or Crowfall I will pick Crowfall.  To much realism to me is not a good, thing, but this is just my preference.
    edited November 2015
    Wizardry said:
    Not sure on the term innovative,that might just be this site adding some spice to a topic.The way i see this is just that very old system whereby you have to fit 2/3/4 slot items into squares inside your storage compartment.A recent game using this idea if Path of Exile.

I don't mind limitations on storage however it can make a game feel cumbersome even though yes i love realism/plausible ideas and ideas that just make sense.I am talking about when we get into resource gathering to craft.If we need 50 apples to make 3 jugs of apple cider that might mean 10 trips in the field to make that and would feel slow/cumbersome.It could of course be fixed by adding in stacking,i know stacking is a semi non realistic idea but it just works for the sake of gaming.
    I think back when i started playing Tabula Rasa,i had no clue what any item i had picked up was for,so i was trying to just hang onto everything but it is not possible,especially if we have severe restrictions on storage.

I also remember playing FFXI now that game had more depth than any game i have ever played.As a Ranger i had to keep MANY arrows or Bullets for a gun as well as food as well as a Bow and a Gun gear it didn't leave much room for storing other items.Now idk if this game will keep the realism where we need to have resources to fuel our weapons or not but it should.
    I like realism in this IF there's game play to go with it. Such as caravans by players. I can see players organizing camps near dungeons or ruins, or hunting/resource grounds, that basically act like a shipping service (also refining services) back to a city warehouse holding individual player accounts. MOBs and bandits provide the fun part of it, the organization the social part of it, and the riches the goal part of it.
    I'd like to see some form of a "sealed" container (both for transport and storage) using each players' own personal seal to help facilitate this, which I've never seen before.

Once upon a time....

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Perfect mmorpg in theory. Something i would do exactly the same. Key thing will be: combat and skill system and progression. That must be fun! Its what most players like and often do. i hope they will do that right!