Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if Star Citizen fails - will that be better than watching it succeed?

Comments

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Erillion said:
    Psychos1s said:
    That's what there is currently though, just a couple of demo's really and a space sim where kb/mouse are superior to joystick control.
    Do not let the fact distract you that (last time i looked and posted about it here) the Top 5 of the leaderboard all used joysticks and the Top 20 have used 50:50 % joystick/mouse.

Have fun
    Great so the top 20, 50% use kb/m in a space combat game. That's marvelous, from the guy that brought us all the WC games n spin offs, you know the games where pretty much everyone who played them used a joystick.

Pretty much all the gameplay i've seen on twitch is people using kb/m and dominating with it and my god it looks boring when it doesn't crash.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    CrazKanuk said:
    Brenics said:
    Except the part about losing the #1 guy Dan Tracy that knows how the Cry Engine works! That is fact!

Yeah, that's definitely a loss, but you're assuming that Dan Tracy was the glue that was holding everything together and somehow it will now all fall apart. You're correct, the FACT is that Dan Tracy is gone. There is another FACT that goes along with that, though. That's that here's a list of former CryTek employees working at CIG:
    Marco Corbetta
    Sean Tracy
    Robert Stephens
    Cort Soest
    Brian Chambers
    Stephen Bender
    Allen Chen
    Todd Papy
    Pascal Muller
    Francesco Roccucci
    Arti Dave
    Hayo Koekkoek 
    Gavin Bird
    Hannes Appell
    Dan Trufin
    Michael Barclay
    William Josephy
    Simon Vickers
    Stephen North
    John Crewe
    Sean Ellis
    Christopher Bolte
    Sascha Hoba (Lead Engineer from Crytek)
    Erasmus Brosdau
    Adam Rutkowski
    Riham Toulan
    Will Greenough

Pretty long list. That's a FACT. Also, it should be noted that there is a notable Lead Engineer who was the Lead Engineer on Cryengine as well. So I can respect the hit that Dan Tracy might make, the assumption that his leaving signifies the death of the game, somehow, or even a significant hit, might be over-exaggerated. Especially when CIG essentially hired all former Crytek employees (who have ample experience with the engine). 
    THIS !

Sure, Dan Tracy is an expert. But not the only expert. And not necessarily the only No#1 guy. The whole Frankfurt study was founded to house the experts on the Cry-Engine. And i posted the Chris & Erin Roberts e-mail letter to all CIG employees in another thread about the new, more specialized roles of the various studios. 

No, the sky is not falling. No, doom is not near. No, CIG has not lost all expertise with the CryEngine overnight.

CIG is just doing what they announced to do a month ago. Some are fine with that, others are not.

Have fun
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I hope they finish the game..but imo they are to greedy and their goals look more and more like dreams to me.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Psychos1s said:
     you know the games where pretty much everyone who played them used a joystick.
    I know ... the games that ever since 2003 (e.g. Freelancer) you could use any controller you choose equally well, be it mouse, joystick, gamepad, you-name-it.

This is not the 80ies anymore.

We have alternative controllers, voice control, Virtual and Augmented reality headsets, wearables, head- and eye-trackers, programmable keyboards/mouse/joysticks, multi-screen setups, HD/4k/3D screens etc. 
    And i am talking about the gamer market, not combat helicopter pilots.

Have fun
    edited October 2015
    Erillion said:
    Psychos1s said:
     you know the games where pretty much everyone who played them used a joystick.
    I know ... the games that ever since 2003 (e.g. Freelancer) you could use any controller you choose equally well, be it mouse, joystick, gamepad, you-name-it.

This is not the 80ies anymore.

We have alternative controllers, voice control, Virtual and Augmented reality headsets, wearables, head- and eye-trackers, programmable keyboards/mouse/joysticks, multi-screen setups, HD/4k/3D screens etc. 
    And i am talking about the gamer market, not combat helicopter pilots.

Have fun
    Said games were the 90's and please don't bring Freelancer into it as it was shit and tbh a complete let down.

The wing commander games that your messiah himself created were dogfighting games and people loved them along with all the other space games from back then like x-wing vs tie n so on, so what does he do instead he makes glorified turrets in space.

Though in all honesty why i'm bothering I don't know. They could post photo's of CR snorting charly off hookers with backers cash n you lot would vote on the forums that you have no problem with him using money that way.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Allow me to ask:

1) Does Arena Commander prove that ships can be flown in Cry-engine?

2) Does the Social Module prove that this game can and will be multiplayer in first and third person?

3) Did the Gamescom and Citizencon "live presentations prove that Star Marine is being worked on, and progressing to a releasable state?

a) Does the multi-crew live presentations prove that large ships are in the process of being made flyable, and functional?

4) Do the many youtube videos of ship models and size comparisons prove that ships concepts are indeed becoming more than concept art?

No, it is never good wishing something/someone to fail.

Have a good day
    Psychos1s said:
      please don't bring Freelancer into it as it was shit and tbh a complete let down.
    Well, looks like we disagree on that point. And the international gaming press seems to disagree too.

Reception
    Aggregate scores
    Aggregator Score
    GameRankings 84.36%[50]
    Metacritic 85 / 100[51]
    Review scores
    Publication Score
    AllGame 4 / 5[16]
    Eurogamer 8 / 10[8]
    GameSpot 8.3 / 10[11]
    GameSpy 83 / 100[19]
    IGN 9.2 / 10[7]
    PC Zone 8.4 / 10[34]
    FiringSquad 83%[4]
    GameCritics.com 6.0 / 10[52]

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Psychos1s said:
      please don't bring Freelancer into it as it was shit and tbh a complete let down.
    Well, looks like we disagree on that point. And the international gaming press seems to disagree too.

Reception
    Aggregate scores
    Aggregator Score
    GameRankings 84.36%[50]
    Metacritic 85 / 100[51]
    Review scores
    Publication Score
    AllGame 4 / 5[16]
    Eurogamer 8 / 10[8]
    GameSpot 8.3 / 10[11]
    GameSpy 83 / 100[19]
    IGN 9.2 / 10[7]
    PC Zone 8.4 / 10[34]
    FiringSquad 83%[4]
    GameCritics.com 6.0 / 10[52]

Have fun
    At the time of it's release it was a massive let down as it failed to deliver on most of it's promises. I know because i'd been waiting for it to release and on top of that it was never a space flight sim as you were outside the ship not in the cockpit.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Brenics said:
    Except the part about losing the #1 guy Dan Tracy that knows how the Cry Engine works! That is fact!

Yeah, that's definitely a loss, but you're assuming that Dan Tracy was the glue that was holding everything together and somehow it will now all fall apart. You're correct, the FACT is that Dan Tracy is gone. There is another FACT that goes along with that, though. That's that here's a list of former CryTek employees working at CIG:
    Marco Corbetta
    Sean Tracy
    Robert Stephens
    Cort Soest
    Brian Chambers
    Stephen Bender
    Allen Chen
    Todd Papy
    Pascal Muller
    Francesco Roccucci
    Arti Dave
    Hayo Koekkoek 
    Gavin Bird
    Hannes Appell
    Dan Trufin
    Michael Barclay
    William Josephy
    Simon Vickers
    Stephen North
    John Crewe
    Sean Ellis
    Christopher Bolte
    Sascha Hoba (Lead Engineer from Crytek)
    Erasmus Brosdau
    Adam Rutkowski
    Riham Toulan
    Will Greenough

Pretty long list. That's a FACT. Also, it should be noted that there is a notable Lead Engineer who was the Lead Engineer on Cryengine as well. So I can respect the hit that Dan Tracy might make, the assumption that his leaving signifies the death of the game, somehow, or even a significant hit, might be over-exaggerated. Especially when CIG essentially hired all former Crytek employees (who have ample experience with the engine). 
    THIS !

Sure, Dan Tracy is an expert. But not the only expert. And not necessarily the only No#1 guy. The whole Frankfurt study was founded to house the experts on the Cry-Engine. And i posted the Chris & Erin Roberts e-mail letter to all CIG employees in another thread about the new, more specialized roles of the various studios. 

No, the sky is not falling. No, doom is not near. No, CIG has not lost all expertise with the CryEngine overnight.

CIG is just doing what they announced to do a month ago. Some are fine with that, others are not.

Have fun

Do you have the full list of outside major league devs that you folks trumpeted about, who've now left the project?  And any other high level devs who've also bailed on the project?   Because you all were sure proud of them when they signed up....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Do you have the full list of outside major league devs that you folks trumpeted about, who've now left the project?  And any other high level devs who've also bailed on the project?   Because you all were sure proud of them when they signed up....
    I think that's a recycled post. He just plugs in the current name into the variable in the first paragraph :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

And any other high level devs who've also bailed on the project?   Because you all were sure proud of them when they signed up....
    You mean the ones that got "offers they could not refuse" from:

Blizzard (several)
    Wargaming.net
    Sony

I would consider it a kind of compliment from some of the big names in the business when they headhunt away some of the good people in the team for "obscene" amounts of cash and benefits.

Have fun
  • Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Gdemami said:

Regardless, here is the important and most disturbing part about your comment and SC in general: You plan your project within boundarious of your budget, not the other way round.

Exactly.

And what is more frightening is the Original time period and kickstarter goal that CR/CGI themselves set, even if it was a just single "module". So this "veteran" game developer doesn't even know how much or how long it takes to develop a game, so he just wings it with other people's money like he got all the time in the world.

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Arillix said:
    Allow me to ask:

Have a good day
    So a controlled, in-house tech demo is absolute proof of a working full fledged-functional game...

Urgh...the lack of objectivity and understanding your post is mind numbing. 

Do you know Anything about making a game of the scale and scope CR has promised?

Your points arent even worth arguing if you dont have the sense to understand that just because CIG has created the A,B,C,D components of a working game, E to Z doesnt magically fall into place by itself.
    And then after Z comes A1, B1, C1 all the way upto probable infinity, depending on how much of bug ridden mess and hardware toaster their final product is going to be. 
    Thats just poor analogy, but can you atleast grasp something that simple?

On a completely unrelated topic, I was watching this episode of Monty Python with the gooooooorn. And I thought, what is by far worse than shills are completely clueless shills just having a fun time of their lives. 

Was good day having, till your post done reading.

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Let's just wait for the next shoe to drop, more are leaving.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Gdemami said:

You plan your project within boundarious of your budget, not the other way round.
    Unless you have a plan to acquire a large enough budget to achieve (almost) everything planned.

And so far it looks like the plan is working .... this month CIG got between 4-5 M$ through crowdfunding.
    With a 3 year average of 2,6 M$ per month.

Have fun

Brenics said:
    Let's just wait for the next shoe to drop, more are leaving.
    Of course others will be leaving at some point.

Thats business as usual in the gaming industry. Happens to all the other studios too. No one cares that this happens in other studios.

But when it happens at CIG ... DOOM !! Sky is falling !! Repent your sins !!!

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
     And any other high level devs who've also bailed on the project?   Because you all were sure proud of them when they signed up....
    You mean the ones that got "offers they could not refuse" from:

Blizzard (several)
    Wargaming.net
    Sony

I would consider it a kind of compliment from some of the big names in the business when they headhunt away some of the good people in the team for "obscene" amounts of cash and benefits.

Have fun

That's a Boiler Plate argument.  A pro forma response.  Very few people say, 'I am going to a lessor position for a lot less money.'   PR-speak is always going to be positive.  And fit the template.

These guys were major signees, brought in to run major parts of what is purported to be a major, ground breaking, independent space game.   All have bailed almost immediately.   Historically speaking, they likely found a poorly organized, poorly managed development team with a ton of issues.   At least, if it was like previous Roberts productions.  

Though as someone raised in the American south, I must tip my hat to your generally polite demeanor, if not your unwillingness to question your SC assumptions.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited October 2015
      All have bailed almost immediately. 
    If memory serves right the usual time those high profile people spent at CIG was 1 year plus. Hardly what i would call "bailed almost immediately".

e.g. Travis Day .. 2 years 3 months
    https://www.linkedin.com/pub/travis-day/7/bb2/62b

Have fun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2015
    Erillion said:
    Unless you have a plan to acquire a large enough budget to achieve (almost) everything planned.

And so far it looks like the plan is working .... this month CIG got between 4-5 M$ through crowdfunding.

Have fun
    Plans do not pay for your bills...
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Plans do not pay for your bills...
    Correct.

A 3 year average of 2,6 M$ per month pays the bills.

Have fun

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Erillion said:
    Gdemami said:

You plan your project within boundarious of your budget, not the other way round.

Have fun

So they say, but unless they've opened the books recently, how do you know they really brought in 1/2 that amount, other than taking them at their word?

Certainly can't judge by what they've shown so far.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2015
    Erillion said:
    Correct. 

Have fun

Notional and real are not the same thing...but you do not seem to make a difference...
    Kyleran said:
    how do you know they really brought in 1/2 that amount, other than taking them at their word?

Certainly can't judge by what they've shown so far.
    You could ask the gaming journalists that visited the various studios and saw dozens/hundreds of people working there. I mean ...really. Ask them. They DO answer. At least the German journalists do.

Unless all those CIG employees  are working for free, more than 50 M$ have been spent so far .. thats not hard to calculate given average programmer salaries information available on the internet and typical overhead costs.  Which means... yes ... they really brought in (and spent) 1/2 the amount mentioned on their website.

Have fun
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:
    Correct. 

Have fun

Notional and real are not the same thing...but you do not seem to make a difference...
    Yes, you forgot that some people know their basic math.

See also my answer to Kyleran's post w.r.t. to basic calculations of burn rate and income generated from crowdfunding.

Have fun
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Posting stuff from a website and saying they are facts when they haven't been proven to be facts is like posting stuff from the bible and saying it's all true. lol

Like someone else said in another thread they say they have 1 million backers but that hasn't been proven that it's 1 million individuals or people buying multi accounts.