Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible PC Upgrade or Rebuild / Need your ideas

2»

Comments

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Well Anyways it can play all games on Max setting's  better then my Old card

and I mean cheaper Compaired to what they costed 4-5 years ago  =)

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited October 2015
    I had been using AMD GPU cards for several years. The reason was that on paper, they deliver more power for less money.

One big factor to consider is the support of new games. I decided to buy an Nvidia GTX970 recently - and can't say I'd regret the desicion. My previous AMD card always took months to release the proper updates. Many of the newer games were poorly optimized for AMD cards, leaving me with crappy frames per second, wishing I had an Nvidia.

This is obviously not the case for every game - and for some games it might be the opposite. But Nvidia is generally better at quickly keeping up to date with new releases. Another thing to consider is the card manufacturer. I moved away from those highly overclocked cards, as they are generally less stable than the non-overclocked.

Pure power is one thing, but in the end it is about a lot more than that.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Quizzical said:
    Grimula said:

I just bought a Zotac GTX 750 TI video card

it is pretty much the most powerfull cheapest card you can buy....Very impressed with how cheap it was

150 Dollars is all it cost me,  and its a Huge upgrade from a gtx 560   For how cheap it was

Really nice to see powerfull cards going for cheap now -a-days   good time to be a PC user

The GTX 750 Ti has just about never been a good deal.  And at $150, it definitely wasn't, as AMD offered substantially faster cards for the same price.  It did beat AMD on energy efficiency, but a 100 W card in a desktop typically isn't a problem even in cases where a 250 W card would be.
    I had a 750 Ti and a regular 750 a while back, they both struggled to play Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. For $150 I'd rather get a used coin-slutted 280x from craigslist, or in Canada's case kijiji, slap some thermal paste on the GPU and set it to bake, simmer...stew?!

If OP was prepared to drop 1k-1.5k then might as well get a 970 or a Fury for the lolz, and performance.

As for what laxie was saying about GPU optimization, I rarely have issues when it comes to that but, I think Quizzical has covered that in a few previous posts.
    I tend to buy slightly more AMD cards than Nvidia but usually it's a free game coupon / price / performance thing

DAMN YOU QUIZ! Now I'm thinking about building another one!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Grimula said:

Well Anyways it can play all games on Max setting's  better then my Old card

and I mean cheaper Compaired to what they costed 4-5 years ago  =)

For a card today to be a better card at a better price than what was available five years ago is an awfully low bar.  An OK value at $150 today would have been a steal five years ago.  The proper comparison is between the cards and prices available today.