Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the expansion worth it?

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
edited October 2015 in Guild Wars 2
Yes or No assumes you've purchased the expansion.

Comments

• RamlachRamlach Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I have only spent 3-4 hours with it, but having a blast. To me anyway definitely worth the price of admission  
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If you never liked GW2.. then you still won't. If you did then it's simply more of the same but better. The main problem with the expansion is that you don't get the full brunt of it until level 80. Advice to new people, play for free until you know whether or not the game is for you.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It has story and unlocking masteries. I think the new zone is annoying but gives you something to achieve which is what the game is really about.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2015
    So far, it looks like people have the same idea. 

Wait and see. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited October 2015

Wait and see. 
    I have no intention of buying, but you know me, I read all forums. The GW2 forums are just about popcorn worthy atm. 

check out this one
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Not-liking-the-new-zones-and-mastery-system
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I highly recommend using a wait and see approach - as had been said above - way more annoyances than it is worth at the moment...
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    The story has improved leaps and bounds.
    The areas design is mind blowing.
    Tons of small improvements.

If you were enjoying the game before the expansion, the expansion content is an upgrade.
    The only bit I didn't enjoy is the Desert borderlands, but I haven't spent significant time in WvW.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AshfordThunderAshfordThunder Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I'm loving it, one of the best experience I had in video games.
    bcbully said:

Wait and see. 
    I have no intention of buying, but you know me, I read all forums. The GW2 forums are just about popcorn worthy atm. 

check out this one
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Not-liking-the-new-zones-and-mastery-system
    It is a shame half of the people in that 10 posts thread does not realize that masteries are account wide.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

bcbully said:

Wait and see. 

check out this one
    It is a shame half of the people in that 10 posts thread does not realize that masteries are account wide.
    Let's be far now there is a entire forum talking about the same things.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    No.. its a "HoT" mess

edited October 2015
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

Wait and see. 

check out this one
    Let's be far now there is a entire forum talking about the same things.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot
    Mostly about:
    1) Not easy.
    2) Takes time (The expansion is out for 24+ hours and no claims of beating it).
    3) Might require grouping.
    4) Apparently people want character progression but only in the instantaneous form.
    5) You have to play it.

So the people lining up to vote in on the option that is negative (for GW2) in these polls should be ecstatic as just a few days ago they were saying there would be not enough content to justify the price, same mindless zerg, no need for grouping and no significant character progression.

There are some valid complaints. Some of them are being addressed.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Sounds like the WvW map is abysmal. Only reason I would consider buying it. Thank god CU is coming one day.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Someone on the gw2 forum called it Gate of Thorns with all of the grinding to get through gated content...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Ooh its being called grindy.  Something GW2 has never been before.  This will definitely be a punch in the gut if it is like a grind.  I was always happy that I never felt like I was grinding in that game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    filmoret said:
    Ooh its being called grindy.  Something GW2 has never been before.  This will definitely be a punch in the gut if it is like a grind.  I was always happy that I never felt like I was grinding in that game.
    It is very much a grind to unlock masteries. And the content not being solo friendly does not help the grind much.
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Lol bcbully on that hate train again without even playing shit. 
    For the rest of you, of you didn't like it before you are not going to like it now. So peace out.
    elitero said:
    Lol bcbully on that hate train again without even playing shit. 
    For the rest of you, of you didn't like it before you are not going to like it now. So peace out.
    You can't find one "hateful" statement from me concerning hot. The official forums are pretty hateful though. Those are the forums though. I'm sure there are people in game having a good time. 

Do you think some of the concerns undoubtedly you have read like me are valid?  
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    edited October 2015
    YES  It is worth it in my opinion.
    Map design is mindblowing...i mean...like serious mindblowind!
    You have never seen a map design like this jungle! Simply awesome! Some people call it grindy...but how can you call grindy a game you can get experience out of EVERYTHING in this expansion...?? It´s not fair... You need experience...you need to play the game in order to progress OFC!!!! But you can play your way!!! Old maps...new maps...pvp...wvw...history...whaterver!!!

If you like GW2.... HoT is a MUST BUY!
    filmoret said:
    You need to get xp. Something you get by just playing.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    bcbully said:

Wait and see. 

check out this one
    You must have literally cherry picked this topic. I've been reading the forums recently and most of the complaints are about balance of new specs but so far it seems people are liking the expansion.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't consider unlocking masteries as a grind.. you can unlock them by doing anything you choose. Sure, it takes time.. but we're there to play the game anyway. It's not a case of being forced to do the same thing over and over.. People don't know what grind is anymore. Back in EQ1 when you had to farm the same spawn spot for days just to level so you can move to another one for the next level... that was grind.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    gfivoroth said:
    bcbully said:

Wait and see. 

check out this one
    You must have literally cherry picked this topic. I've been reading the forums recently and most of the complaints are about balance of new specs but so far it seems people are liking the expansion.

I wouldn't say cheer picking at all. The moderation over there is heavy atm, though, got to keep the bad comments down.

check the HoT subforum and General forum out. Overloading with people saying that gw2 is beyond any grind before (and that is saying something). complaints of silverwast zerg on steroids, etc.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    The most worrying thing I read is that zones are deserted.

Considering new zones are like silverwastes - they are meant for groups and not solo.
    This combines with less player , and time passing - would mean fubar content.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Thupli said:
    gfivoroth said:
    bcbully said:

Wait and see. 

check out this one

I wouldn't say cheer picking at all. The moderation over there is heavy atm, though, got to keep the bad comments down.

check the HoT subforum and General forum out. Overloading with people saying that gw2 is beyond any grind before (and that is saying something). complaints of silverwast zerg on steroids, etc.

Hmm I didn't read the general forum, was reading the class forums and pvp.

HoT is not very Grindy. Some of these threads are just people wanting everything unlocked from the get go. 

I guess its a matter of also deciding which forums to take as reflective. General seems to be full of complainers but other forums people are actually focused on discussing the game.

on a different note forums may not be a great indication of how a game is being received. People don't make topics to say they love the game and everything is great. That just never happens. Forum posters are much more likely to be there cause they unhappy. I am perfectly happy without the new xpac and I haven't posted anything on the forums, and I don't see a reason why I should.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.