Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has any MMO ever tried a tank job with a pet?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scorchien said:
    SOE ... tryed to tank EQnext with Smedley as a pet
    Well EQNEXT appears to be tanking, so success?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited October 2015
    The Everquest Mage class was centered around it's pet.  The Mage could summon weapons and armor to give to it or give it other weapons and armor.  It could tank fairly well and there was a different type of elemental pet to summon.  The water was immune to poison.  The Fire to fire.  The earth was the toughest.  The air attacked a bit faster.  EQ also added the beastlord in the ruins of kunark expansion I believe.  It was a fairly good tank as the beastlord could slow monsters, haste the pet, and heal the pet.

The skill to tame creatures in Ultima Online was fairly powerful.  This was somewhat replicated for a while in SWG until it got nerfed. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Axehilt said:
    syriinx said:
    WoW warlock has a tank spec with Metamorphosis.   
    Demonology is DPS, not a tank.
    There is a glyph that turns it into a Tank spec.  Not the same power as traditional tanks, but was good for most content (in MoP at least)
  • Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Why wouldnt he say, then, a tank that has a pet that is just there to look neat? Why would anyone be curious if there was a tank that had a pet? Monk in Wow? 

• JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Wildstar engineer.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Not sure if the White Lion from WAR would qualify.  I think it was a hybrid class that mixed in dps/tank/pet,..sort of...based on spec...kinda...?  Am I stretching here?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    DMKano said:
    Reading the replies - it's amazing how many didn't read or understand the OP.

The OP is NOT talking about pets as tanks, he is talking about tank classes with pets.

Seriously, this lol. Thank you to a bunch of people that listed jobs like what I'm looking for, but several people did misunderstand. Maybe my title didn't explain well, but my post did.

On an solo, small party level, several MMOs have pets that can tank. On the raid level, I don't wouldn't want to see pets tanking anything more than adds, because that means the pets have to be highly resistant to AOEs/deathy moves.

I just always thought it would be neat to have a tanking class that could be augmented by the pet. Probably 2 pets (one at a time). One that buffs the tank/party or debuffs (like attack down, attack speed down) the enemies, and a separate pet for farm/outgeared content that contributes to dps of the tank or of the party.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Guild Wars (before pet nerf) Nec/Ele with 20+ pets pretty much tanked/steamrolled anything :)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

Johnxboy said:
    Wildstar engineer.
    I looked up Wildstar Engineer on youtube when someone mentioned it (because I'm not familiar with the game's mechanics at all) and the player playing it (for 20 minutes) pretty much sucked at the class. I'll have to look for other videos.

• mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73
    DMKano said:

The OP is NOT talking about pets as tanks, he is talking about tank classes with pets.

warlock had a glyph that transformed the metamorphosis spell into a dedicated tank stance so warlock could actually tank 
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    DMKano said:

Aww crap - Please disregard my post. Sorry OP and thanks for the wakeup call DM.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

To the several people that brought up Wildstar's Engineer.. this seems as close to what I asked for as anything, it just took me a little bit to find a decent gameplay video. Engineers (which are tanks, themselves) do seem to have dps pets and tank pets (though the tanky pets actually try to tank themselves).

A few people mentioned RIFT but I couldn't find anything besides PVP videos.

Any other examples would be cool too.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Wildstar Engineer is a great example for an AAA MMO (although some would debate the AAA part lol), some mention EQ, but not many mention EQ2. I noticed you mentioned something about NPC mercs, but every class in EQ2 (all 6 tanks) can hire any merc, DPS, Healing, or another Tank. It gives you large variety of "controllable pets", and the tanks are still capable of all content including raids, since they are the regular main tank classes.

If you are looking for something alittle different, there are a number of Korean/Asian MMO (most F2P), that have pet mechanics to them. And you would be playing the normal Warrior or tank classes, with an additional pet, either for DPS, heals, or more Tanking. The newest of which is Dragomon Hunter, currently in beta, but like I said there are many many more.
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Dark Avenger in Lineage II !!

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    DAOC... Bonedancer. He was a cloth class, but got damage mitigation buffs which made his cloth equivalent to plate. He got to summon 4 minions, of which he got options for buff pets, heal pets, ranged pets, and melee pets... He also had insta-cast DD LL.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    WoW DKs and EQ/EQ2 SKs.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    CoH had the Mastermind class, and depending on what "theme" the Mastermind chose, you could have pets that did things like heal (I think the mercenaries had this) or buff (the robots had this).  The player himself was often too weak to take an alpha strike, however, so I'm not sure if he could "tank" per se.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE