Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift - Pixelated?

laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
My sister just got to test Oculus Rift at a conference. I am not sure which version, presumably the DK2. Apprently the pixels are extremely visible, making the experience lackluster.

I read up on the issue. I suppose it simply happens when you are looking at a screen from such close distance (and the screen resolution isn't flawless).

Are there any DK2 owners who would like to share their opinions? I was planning on buying the consumer version this spring. Now I am a little worried. I understand that VR is not about flawless resolution, but I was hoping it would not be pixelated to the point where that is what you notice all the time.

Is that the case in your experience?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Let's try an experiment.  Take the monitor you're using right now.  Try looking at it from about 4 inches away from your face.  It may help if you close one eye.  See if it looks pixelated.

The problem is the angular diameter of a pixel.  The Oculus Rift will typically cover a much wider angle of your field of view than a normal computer monitor.  With the same number of pixels as a computer monitor, that means each pixel has a larger angular diameter, and thus appears bigger.  That makes it look pixelated.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't think that it should be overly pixilated.  If it were, people wouldn't buy it.  I've read enough reviews that seem to indicate that picture quality was pretty good (Not perfect, but pretty good) and that the experiences was pretty good.  Might wanna check some of the VR forums.

I self identify as a monkey.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    @Quizzical ;
    Thanks. I see what you mean.

Is it not possible to make smaller pixels though? Some mobile phones have fairly high resolutions, so I suppose the pixels are smaller and have higher density? Which would improve the angular diameter at such short distances.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    laxie said:
    @Quizzical ;

Is it not possible to make smaller pixels though? Some mobile phones have fairly high resolutions, so I suppose the pixels are smaller and have higher density? Which would improve the angular diameter at such short distances.
    That makes sense to me. . This is why I am trying to hold off and not buy the 1st gen.  but I will. . I know I will.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    edited October 2015
    laxie said:
    @Quizzical ;

Do the same experiment with your cellphone then. If you're using a modern Samsung or a Moto X, then the screen on your cell is probably similar to the one in the Oculus Rift (2160×1200 or 1080×1200 per eye).

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited October 2015

It is pretty much a problem that hasn't been fixed yet.  They are working on it and IDK if it will require new hardware when it is finally finished.  Right now that's the best available and just gotta live with it.

That being said they do have prototypes that are much better and are close to a finished product will be nearly flawless compared to what you are experiencing right now.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    filmoret said:

It is pretty much a problem that hasn't been fixed yet.  They are working on it and IDK if it will require new hardware when it is finally finished.  Right now that's the best available and just gotta live with it.

That being said they do have prototypes that are much better and are close to a finished product will be nearly flawless compared to what you are experiencing right now.

There isn't a clean solution to this.  How to get high enough resolutions and frame rates is the primary challenge of getting VR to work.  It's not some "oh, we hadn't considered this, but we'll fix it" sort of thing.

That said, there are some things you can do, but it's about trade-offs, not fixes:

1)  Reduce the field of view covered by the screen, making it more akin to a 3D television than virtual reality.
    2)  Increase the resolution, which makes it much harder to get adequate rendering power and monitor bandwidth to make it work at all.
    3)  Render at a higher resolution where you're looking and lower everywhere else, as this won't be noticeable--until you move your eyes, at which point, it looks all wrong.
    4)  Greatly scale back the graphical expectations so that your VR world looks like a 3D game from around the turn of the millennium, which means you need massively less rendering power to handle it.

But it's not all bad news.  Appearing pixelated isn't a binary thing; it's a continuum.  You have some implicit threshold of how pixelated is too pixelated.  If games weren't above your threshold, you wouldn't play them.  One may have different thresholds for 2D sprites, traditional 3D graphics, and VR, however.

Furthermore, the threshold varies by person.  The challenge for the Oculus Rift and its competitors is to make something that, while hardly good enough for everyone, is good enough for enough gamers that they can sell a bunch of them.
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:

There isn't a clean solution to this.  How to get high enough resolutions and frame rates is the primary challenge of getting VR to work.  It's not some "oh, we hadn't considered this, but we'll fix it" sort of thing.

That said, there are some things you can do, but it's about trade-offs, not fixes:

1)  Reduce the field of view covered by the screen, making it more akin to a 3D television than virtual reality.
    2)  Increase the resolution, which makes it much harder to get adequate rendering power and monitor bandwidth to make it work at all.
    3)  Render at a higher resolution where you're looking and lower everywhere else, as this won't be noticeable--until you move your eyes, at which point, it looks all wrong.
    4)  Greatly scale back the graphical expectations so that your VR world looks like a 3D game from around the turn of the millennium, which means you need massively less rendering power to handle it.

But it's not all bad news.  Appearing pixelated isn't a binary thing; it's a continuum.  You have some implicit threshold of how pixelated is too pixelated.  If games weren't above your threshold, you wouldn't play them.  One may have different thresholds for 2D sprites, traditional 3D graphics, and VR, however.

Furthermore, the threshold varies by person.  The challenge for the Oculus Rift and its competitors is to make something that, while hardly good enough for everyone, is good enough for enough gamers that they can sell a bunch of them.

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-display-improvements/

Like I said its being worked on and will be much better.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:

That doesn't address the points Quizzical pointed out, only that display fidelity is improving. A system that knows where the user is looking and renders appropriately sounds intriguing though..
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    The first time you use the Oculus DK2 its going to look somewhat pixelated.  But after extended use your eyes get use to the effect and it becomes much less of a issue. Something to keep in mind is that the DK2 has a much lower screen res then the CR will have.

I've logged easily 800+ hours on a DK2 between work and home use. The screendoor effect is what its known as and it becomes a much less issue over time. The lenses reduce the effect alot and the CR lenses are WAY better then the DK2 lenses. That plus the increased screen res makes a world of a difference. Your still going to notice that screendoor effect the first 10 or so hours you use a oculus or any VR device. But over time your mind starts to adjust for the effect and you will start to notice it less and less until it becomes a non issue.

There are many ways to adjust and make the screen door effect less but theres no way to 100% eliminate the effect without increaseing the screen res even more so. Something along a 4k+ res. But then you run into the issue of graphics cards not being able to push out the image to the VR device fast enough. Some like the Vive use different the optic lenses to mask the effect (almost eliminating it) but its still somewhat noticeable at first.
    rounner said:
    filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:

That doesn't address the points Quizzical pointed out, only that display fidelity is improving. A system that knows where the user is looking and renders appropriately sounds intriguing though..
    I addressed the OP's concern without making it overly complicated.  No need to complicate everything when you can just say they are working on the problem.  You really want a mechanic to go into excruciating detail about every nut and bolt he took out just to replace your altenator?