Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single Player Campaign Thoughts

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,049
I didn't really love my first day of playing the single player campaign but after awhile it started to grow on me and now I am enjoying the story.

This issues:
  • AI is pretty horrible and your NPC party members do some pretty dumb things like run into walls or path a really long way around and agro mobs.
  • Not everyone who plays the game is also a PnP player.  Some sort of quick start guide, or heaven forbid an actual manual (remember NWN?) would have been good.
  • Graphics are.... ehhh... even on highest settings.
  • Pace of combat is much too fast for my taste.  if only controlling one character it would be OK, but trying to control all 4 is almost impossible.  I generally just leave them to do whatever silly thing the AI has them do
  • Death has NO sting.  I have "stabilized" the same party member 6+ times in the same fight.  
  • No bank or storage that I have found.  I have to carry all the cool items around just in case I might want them later...
  • Encumbrance...  my last adventure I left at 180/310 (ish) encumbrance. Was overfull a few minutes in, and spent the next 90 minutes walking at half speed before finally getting to a vendor with 712/310 encumbrance.  Why is there only 1 shared encumbrance and inventory for the whole party?  Why do the NPCs not have their own encumbrance and inventory so we can move items around? I mean, even temporary NPC types like animals that join you are "encumbered" because your backpack is full?  WTF!
  • Camera lacks the ability to lock in place behind you.. so it's a constant: Click, rotate camera, click rotate camera...
  • At the start, items are by default put on your hotbars.  The wonderful AI will burn through every potion and scroll in no time.  This is a toggle that thankfully someone told me you can change in settings.
  • Since the developers did not know which characters (NPCS) you would have in your party they made a stilly "gem" system where they hear everything happening and join discussions with the group and other NPCs you encounter by talking through the "gem".
  • No loot distribution in multiplayer
  • No real description of the items you can have reformed other than: I can make you a bow... or a staff..  for X gold.  No shit Sherlock, you mean you can take the two pieces of this shield and make me a... SHIELD?

Good points:
  • The story has been entertaining so far
  • The single player campaign seems to be a decent length
  • There are a variety of side quests
  • You can discover pieces of items and have a blacksmith reforge them (but see above)
  • Puzzles are cool. Have been able to figure them all out on my own so far
  • Many, MANY more tools were used to flesh out the single player than are currently available in the make your own adventure part.  This certainly added to the storytelling.

Overall I am enjoying the game, despite the flaws mentioned.  It's just too bad that they only got 3/4 the way to GREAT, because the pieces are here to make a truly GREAT game if they can work on the bugs, fix the design issues (camera...) and really give players a more full tool set to craft their own campaigns because that is really what will set this game apart.  Single player game will be over in a few days... the DM mode is what will eventually note this game as a classic or just relegate it to the pile of OK games.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,411
    What class did you play?
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,823
    I am having a blast with the single player. It is actually better than I thought it would be. Very pleased with the game =)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    I'm glad I finally got my return on steam. This game is OK as an arpg, not really a dnd game. The dungeon master tools are a joke. The multiplayer system is clunky and riddled with bugs. Camera controls are annoying. Etc...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,049
    YashaX said:
    What class did you play?
    Ranger

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.