Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game astounds me

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
I've played EVE a fair bit and I thought I would give this game a spin as EVE is wearing this after ten years on and off and the diection it's going in and the increasingly spiteful community has driven me away.

Well, ED has got about 1% of the things that you can do in EVE so I'm amazed anyone would play this instead of EVE.  The list of differences is far too long, but in essence, in Elite: Dangerous, you land, take a mission, find your destination, travel and arrive, rinse and repeat.  Yes, you can do some dog-fighting too, but, come on, the variety in this game is so sparse, and with a lot of time spent in your super cruise tunnel, I don't get what attract people to it other than the name.

I want to like it and am glad I only had a trial as it's so repetitive and not much else.

Comments

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    i really cant believe that you compared these 2 games. have you ever seen a screen of EVE gameplay? it doesnt even looks like a game
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Um, it's a space game with multiple players.  I didn't say it was a substitute for EVE I said that given the choice, EVE has much more going on and ED is very repetitive. 

It's not like I'm comparing Warcraft with Chess is it?
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    mark2123 said:
    Um, it's a space game with multiple players.  I didn't say it was a substitute for EVE I said that given the choice, EVE has much more going on and ED is very repetitive. 

The reason it's odd you even mention them in the same sentence is that the only thing they really have in common is they are both space games. The game play it's self is totally different in these two games.

No signature, I don't have a pen

edited October 2015
    Lazarus71 said:
    mark2123 said:

The reason it's odd you even mention them in the same sentence is that the only thing they really have in common is they are both space games. The game play it's self is totally different in these two games.
    Everything you can do in Elite Dangerous, you can do in EVE, and about a hundred things more.  Can't see a reason to play Elite if you could do so much more in EVE.

Instead of just disagreeing with me, why not explain your stance and tell me the selling point of Elite Dangerous that makes it a game to play instead of a game like EVE?  I mean, mission running and blowing up ships, taking cargo from A to B - that's in both.  I can't see much else in ED but the list for EVE is pretty long.

Tell me what makes Elite so great that I can't see?
    Post edited by mark2123 on
  • ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The main thing I can think of is "Ease of play". Elite: Dangerous is vastly easier to simply play, and with less of the massive overhead that EVE has. I played EVE briefly, and it is just incredibly...in depth and "Hardcore". Everyone has naturally heard of EVE as "spreadsheets in space" and the combat is done primarily through right clicking if its like it was last I played.

Right click to jump here, Right click to orbit at 500m, Right click to fire at X. Compare that to Elite: Dangerous in where you have six degrees of movement style combat/movement and first person view, and it feels much more personal, like a FPS vs an MMORPG, or even TERA vs Everquest.

Combine that with the notoriously high entry into EVE, between the cost of your ships, insurance, and loss of them, the skills based around timers as opposed to simply personal skill, and the notorious community of Corporations, pirating, etc. and EVE is just simply incredibly daunting to anyone who wants to get into it, as opposed to simply being able to pick up and play.

And, last but not least...price. EVE has a monthly sub. Elite:Dangerous does not. EVE has PLEX, but thats assuming that you make enough money in the game to buy it, on top of everything else. EVE is just difficult to get into for many people, simply because it takes a -lot- of time and effort, when sometimes all you wanna do is strap into your heavy fighter, jump out, and fire your massive cannon at some people.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2015
    Everything you can do in ED you can do in Eve, except, play only with NPC's and play with others who only do PvE.  Oh, and play only with your friends.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Everything you can do in ED you can do in Eve, except, play only with NPC's and play with others who only do PvE. 
    Except in ED you can, ya' know, actually fly a spaceship
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Elite is a great game. It's barebones right now, but I think it has a promising future. 
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    JDis25 said:
    Elite is a great game. It's barebones right now, but I think it has a promising future. 
    At £40 ($60) for expansions that's going to cost a packet. There's other games coming out that offer so much more, No Man's Sky for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Elite Dangerous is arguably the best completed space sim on the market.  I too tried it at release and there was a limited amount of things to do.  I just started playing again and it looks like the game has come a long was since then.  You can PvP, explore, mine, run missions, and participate with the new Powerplay mechanic.  Planetary landing among other features are on the way too.  It's not a bad start for a crowd-funded MMO.  

Comparing EVE to ED is like comparing an old school tab targeting MMO (DAoC) to one with modern, action-style combat (Tera).  They're too different in terms of base game play.  For people that actually want to pilot a ship in an environment of pseudo-newtonian physics, ED is the way to go for now.  If you would rather tab-target your spaceship, then excel-in-space EVE is for you.

The future is going to be interesting for space sims as we have so many good ones on the horizon.  No Man's Sky is an explorer's dream.  However that game will feature more of an arcade space flight style and although it's technically a multi-player game, it is NOT an MMO in the classical sense and PvP will not be a major game mechanic upon release.  In fact, many players will probably never even see another live player. Star Citizen will most likely become the gold standard for space sim MMO's.  If they can pull off their huge vision then they will be able to satisfy a great number players with varying game ideals and goals.  

I would also add that EVE Online started off quite bare-boned back in the day.  There weren't ships larger than cruiser size (if memory serves) and the hardware that was running the game at the time was paltry at best.  I wish I could find the picture of the original server.  They had to move it to a new location and it fit in to a car easily.  Anyways, they've continually added content and better hardware to the game and have increased their player base steadily every year since release. I think you're going to see the same thing with ED.  
  • ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423
    well lets see..... In ED I can actually shoot at targets and use twitch skills and resource management in combat.... In EVE I can fight in a very CHESS in space or maybe submarines in space type of combat system.....

In ED player skill matters... In EVE how long you have spend in game / or who's account you have purchased matters.... For that I choose ED.
    ellobo29 said:
    well lets see..... In ED I can actually shoot at targets and use twitch skills and resource management in combat.... In EVE I can fight in a very CHESS in space or maybe submarines in space type of combat system.....

In ED player skill matters... In EVE how long you have spend in game / or who's account you have purchased matters.... For that I choose ED.
    You haven't played EVE then.  If you had, you wouldn't have said that skill doesn't matter, how long you spent in space matters.  (And I don't even like EVE any more, but ED is boring as hell, total repetition, an alpha experience at full price).
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    The problem with Elite is that they claimed they released it but it was really in Early Access. There wasn't enough content. Now, instead of releasing out of EA with a big patch to make up for the lack of things to do they're selling their content patch for $40. 
    sketocafe said:
    The problem with Elite is that they claimed they released it but it was really in Early Access. There wasn't enough content. Now, instead of releasing out of EA with a big patch to make up for the lack of things to do they're selling their content patch for $40. 
    Yes this is something that should bother even the fanboys - you pay to get what you should have got with the game.  Seriously isn't worth the price.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    sketocafe said:
    As a Elite player I can honestly say I am not happy with there piece mealing approach to the content.  Anyone that says the game has alot of content is not looking at ED then.  Cause really you are forced into killing stuff, mining stuff, tradeing and/or exploration. There is really nothing else outside of that. Mining is extremly barebones where you can deplete a astroid but yet it still sets in the game world until it magicaly get restocked with resources. Exploration is looking at the same graphics over and over with the every once in awhile change to the looks. Killing stuff is well killing stuff.

I think once the planetary landing stuff comes in, it may add more to the game. But what is that going to end up costing me.. And additional $20 or $40/$60 on top of what I already payed for the game?   Then what another $60 when they decide to allow you to walk around your ship / multi-crew ships? $60 to build a space station in an expansion?

I am by no fan a super Starcitizen fan but what I have seen that is coming and what they have shown so far seems like there is more to it then ED at this stage.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    If you played the original Elite and it's sequel, Frontiers, play ED for the nostalgia. Other than that save your money. It's different but not something I will play forever. Treat it as a SP game that you pick up and put down.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I am by no fan a super Starcitizen fan but what I have seen that is coming and what they have shown so far seems like there is more to it then ED at this stage.
    No there isn't. Elite has a very steady barebone game out there and there's a lot of content coming. SC doesn't even have a strong skeleton to start adding meat to. They still basically have a glorified techdemo after three years of development. I'm hoping that will change in 2016.

As for comparing EvE to ED, it's absolutely laughable. Not the same genre, not even remotely the same games or similar mechanics.

Both ED and EvE are great games.. I'm glad I'm not biased or ignorant enough to be able to enjoy just one.

..Cake..

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    edited October 2015
    Been playing EvE since 2004 it's a great game however just because Elite and EvE are set in space doesn't mean you can compare them.

They're totally different games, 1 you could class more as a strategy game than anything else the other you actually pilot your ship.

And for the love of god people stop bringing up Star Cititzen and saying it's got this, that and the other because it hasn't currrently got shit but a couple of glorified crysis mods that are a buggy mess. Maybe it will have at somepoint but until there's actually a playable game with all said features it's nothing but a bunch of tech demos and videos.
    Post edited by Psychos1s on
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    mark2123 said:
    I've played EVE a fair bit and I thought I would give this game a spin as EVE is wearing this after ten years on and off and the diection it's going in and the increasingly spiteful community has driven me away.

Well, ED has got about 1% of the things that you can do in EVE so I'm amazed anyone would play this instead of EVE.  The list of differences is far too long, but in essence, in Elite: Dangerous, you land, take a mission, find your destination, travel and arrive, rinse and repeat.  Yes, you can do some dog-fighting too, but, come on, the variety in this game is so sparse, and with a lot of time spent in your super cruise tunnel, I don't get what attract people to it other than the name.

I want to like it and am glad I only had a trial as it's so repetitive and not much else.

You don't seriously expect a game that's had less than 3 years development to be on par with a game that's been released for 13 years, had 25+ expansions + whatever pre-release development time it had, do you?
    I think that might be expecting just a little bit too much :)
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    1) Comparing a game that's over a decade old to a game that's barely a year old.
    2) Comparing two games with not even remotely similar gameplay
    3) Apparently being clueless as to why points 1 and 2 matter

Don't really have much to say, sort of at a loss for words here. It's fine if you don't like Elite; not going to be for everyone. But at least make relevant, logical criticisms.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    unclemo said:
    Elite Dangerous is arguably the best completed space sim on the market.  I too tried it at release and there was a limited amount of things to do.  I just started playing again and it looks like the game has come a long was since then.  You can PvP, explore, mine, run missions, and participate with the new Powerplay mechanic.  Planetary landing among other features are on the way too.  It's not a bad start for a crowd-funded MMO.  

Comparing EVE to ED is like comparing an old school tab targeting MMO (DAoC) to one with modern, action-style combat (Tera).  They're too different in terms of base game play.  For people that actually want to pilot a ship in an environment of pseudo-newtonian physics, ED is the way to go for now.  If you would rather tab-target your spaceship, then excel-in-space EVE is for you.

The future is going to be interesting for space sims as we have so many good ones on the horizon.  No Man's Sky is an explorer's dream.  However that game will feature more of an arcade space flight style and although it's technically a multi-player game, it is NOT an MMO in the classical sense and PvP will not be a major game mechanic upon release.  In fact, many players will probably never even see another live player. Star Citizen will most likely become the gold standard for space sim MMO's.  If they can pull off their huge vision then they will be able to satisfy a great number players with varying game ideals and goals.  

I would also add that EVE Online started off quite bare-boned back in the day.  There weren't ships larger than cruiser size (if memory serves) and the hardware that was running the game at the time was paltry at best.  I wish I could find the picture of the original server.  They had to move it to a new location and it fit in to a car easily.  Anyways, they've continually added content and better hardware to the game and have increased their player base steadily every year since release. I think you're going to see the same thing with ED.  
    There are already better games out, not coming out. X3 is about 1000 times better than Elite will ever be, just for the simple fact it can be modded, by people who love the game, and have a beautiful understanding of it.

Not to mention they told us at alpha it was going to be single player and moddable....

There is a huge difference between mods created by people who do it out of love for the game, and devs who do it just to try and get people to give them money. Examples would be, Skyrim, the mods are 1000 times better than anything the devs came up with. Another is X3 litcube. The best I think is Arma 2 dayz. That mod was great, but you go to where the guy who made it, stopped making it for the love of the game, and made it to get people to give him money, and you got dayz standalone which is utter trash. 

O well, each to their own though. Elite to me is garbage, blank, and has no love other than how much the dev can convince people to pay him. 
    edited October 2015

1) Comparing a game that's over a decade old to a game that's barely a year old.
    2) Comparing two games with not even remotely similar gameplay
    3) Apparently being clueless as to why points 1 and 2 matter

Don't really have much to say, sort of at a loss for words here. It's fine if you don't like Elite; not going to be for everyone. But at least make relevant, logical criticisms.
    Bah, all your doing is trying to dance around his points for no reason. He did make logical criticisms, he said it was repetitive and boring. Elite is repetitive and boring. The systems are generated, and are all the same. The space stations are all the same, the game play is all the same. I think Eve is the same way though so... Except eve you have a pay 2 win cash shop. They are both basically the same game though, one with no features one with a bunch. 

Your saying they aren't remotely similar why? They are the same thing, you go into space, you have nothing, you try to make money, and get power. Both are done through a economy, elite economy is really really really simple, eve economy is so complex, you need a super computer to analyze it, and it would still be wrong. Both have space missions, about killing people, getting resources, ect about space, eve has a impressive back story, with players stories added, elite has barely any story, and the story they do have is generic and no one reads it. Both games have a player system, where you can effect things in the game. Elites is really a simple system, and has to do with really small things players can do, like kill npcs, and trade. Eve is player corporations, where there is so much complexity and drama, its hard to understand it.

The only real differences between these games is, eve you use tactics before hand, on equipment ect. Elite, you use twitch based flying. Which basically come down to, who ever has the 3000 dollar joy stick, vr helmet, and better equipment wins. 

But for you to say comparing games that arent even remotely similar is more outrageous and non logical than his statement. Your logical criticism the games arent basically the same, follows nothing. Your statement that the guy is basically stupid, because you love elite for no stated reason, is horrible. Elite is older than eve if you want to get technical, the game has been around for a long ass time, this is just the latest expansion of it. 

And yes people compare things to other things that have been out longer. I mean seriously, where do you come up with this stuff, saying he is stupid, and clueless by comparing a game that has been out for years, to one that was just released. I mean come on, of course some one is gonna do that, to see if they want to spend money on something, god........ Your statement is like saying, you can't compare a Radeon 390x, to a gtx 980, because they aren't even remotely the same, and Nvidia has been in the business longer. 

Regardless that elite just came out, the core game play is never going to change ever. It will be repetitive boring, useless, trading, and no reason kill missions. No meaningful pvp is ever going to happen, because there is no reason to do it. No one is going to risk running trade runs in MP, because you can do it basically offline, and bring your rewards to online. So even 5 years from now, elite is still going to be elite. Just like eve today, is rather the same as it was 10 years ago, the core game is totally the same. Player ran corps in a fight over the living world of eve. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Elite is a big disappointment but....OP is being purposefully ignorant.  Combat, to most gamers, is a key feature of a game.  The two types of combat in these games couldn't be any more different...get a clue man.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    /snip

The only real differences between these games is, eve you use tactics before hand, on equipment ect. Elite, you use twitch based flying. Which basically come down to, who ever has the 3000 dollar joy stick, vr helmet, and better equipment wins. 

/snip

Regardless that elite just came out, the core game play is never going to change ever. It will be repetitive boring, useless, trading, and no reason kill missions. No meaningful pvp is ever going to happen, because there is no reason to do it. No one is going to risk running trade runs in MP, because you can do it basically offline, and bring your rewards to online. So even 5 years from now, elite is still going to be elite. Just like eve today, is rather the same as it was 10 years ago, the core game is totally the same. Player ran corps in a fight over the living world of eve. 

I can't believe anyone can write such tripe. All your post shows is how ignorant you are about the game. I mean, seriously what a load of utter crap...
    /snip

/snip

I can't believe anyone can write such tripe. All your post shows is how ignorant you are about the game. I mean, seriously what a load of utter crap...
    Yep, and your 2 sentences calling me names, is not a load of crap, and makes you totally non ignorant and super.