Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of game is this? Is there a FAQ/Summary page or thread?

seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
I've been looking at both this game and Pantheon. While Pantheon seems to hit a lot of points I'd like to see, this game seems to as well. However, there are a few posts about Pantheon that plainly point out what kind of game it is and what it offers. Is there something similar for this game? Also, whats up with the whole living and dying thing? Are people afraid there will be no attachment to characters?

Originally posted by Scagweed22
is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    It's base gameplay is meant to be something of an action-oriented rpg, but then they claim to also have RTS/sim elements for running dutchies as well as things like a dynamic storytelling and world system plus player created content.

The "characters die" thing is that your characters have a life-cycle they go through upon creation, and you're able to carry over/on certain aspects to generate a lineage.

There's honestly not a whole lot of things to really build on right now since the game only entered development relatively recently. The only things they've actually expounded upon as far as their intentions has thus-far been the life/death mechanic and use of souls with a bit of snippets about skill progression and a little bit about character professions sing "contracts" (basically just a ramble about a security feature for crafting trades).

In this case, it's a game that's too early in development to be getting hyped up over. Most anything that will be talked about is "what they want to make" and isn't yet to be getting implemented.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    There's usually a dev journal posted on MMORPG that has information, if you want a quick link, you can go here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/  this is the quickest way to find it (i'm not trying to be an arse, that literally does have a list of every dev journal even though it's the front page) Just look for dev journal with a number next to it.  If you ever played Eve then this comparison may help.  Your soul is like your character, and your ship is like your avatar. So you keep your soul no matter what happens, just if you get "killed" too many times you lose your avatar and you have to get a new one.  

I should note there are 3 types of "death" which they will outline in those journals.  95% of enemies will just knock you out if you lose.  You may lose a few coins but that's the cost of losing.  No damage to the avatar's lifespan is done (damage equals time until you need to get a new avatar, each time your avatar is killed you lose time off the end) only really evil NPCs may actually damage your avatar's life span.  Now player characters can either decide to knock you out and take some gold or damage your avatar's life span and thus be able to take more but doing the latter comes with a cost it taints their soul and if someone sees it they can report it and thus that person will end up in jail (which also depletes their avatar's life span).  The way they put it, if you play a normal farm life, you can live up to 9 months RL time until you need to get a new one, if you play like an assassin, you may be (if you're bad at it) looking for a new life within a month or 2.

Getting a new avatar is going to cost you some money so it makes you think twice (if you are interested and not just in it for the lawls) before you cause any amount of trouble. Also tainting your soul instead of blessing it is supposed to have some kind of effect on your character and the quests that will appear for you (they put it that you don't choose the quest like in traditional sense but the quests choose you, basically you have to hit hidden triggers and when you do, an event will occur and you'll get that quest which align with those triggers), this also works the same for blessed souls I would imagine.

They probably explain it much better than I can, so it's probably best to just go to web address.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    since the game is not yet out u should keep in mind that probably alot features wont make it in game
    im very hyped for coe too but even i can tell some stuff sounds like a great idea but not possible to implement it into a game and make it work
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    jigo86 said:
    since the game is not yet out u should keep in mind that probably alot features wont make it in game
    im very hyped for coe too but even i can tell some stuff sounds like a great idea but not possible to implement it into a game and make it work
    They will get all the features in the game, remember these are veterans they would only put down features they know they can make. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Follow the Dev Journals or take a look at the videos on youtube by Dm21 Gaming.  Also there is a Wiki for Elyria that might have some info.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chronicles+of+elyria+dm21+gaming

http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Chronicles_of_Elyria_Wiki

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    I have just started a FAQ page on the Wiki - but it's still in it's infancy... I will flesh it out more this evening (11:30am here and it's work hours).
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240