Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only ONE character slot ?!?

The pledge description of the official site list "additional character slot" as a feature.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/pledge/

SLOT ! As in ... - singular !!!

Does that mean we will only get 1 (or, with the pledge, 2) character slots in Pantheon ?!?!?!?!?!?!???

As an altist - thats kind of a big downer to me. In fact even if you're not an altist, this is still an issue.

Lets just assume for a moment you want to play Cleric as main. Obviously soloing on a Cleric will, err, lets not get vulgar - but it wont be too much fun. Quite possibly your main issue will be to outdamage the natural regeneration of mobs, like, ever.

So whenever you cant get a party on the Cleric, you will want to log in some other class. Some class thats good at soloing. Ranger for example, Wizard probably, Summoner most likely, Enchanter quite likely as well, possibly Druid. If you didnt buy a pledge or probably the collectors edition of the game, well ...

By the way, in Vanguard I started with 8 character slots and had 20 in the end ... in the end I could try out every class in the game ! And then some. And by the way, knowing other classes in detail also always helped me playing my main better, so even from that perspective it wasnt wasted time.

Comments

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    or maybe u get 8 +1 exstra if u pledge
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Don't worry they'll probably sell extras in the cash shop.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I would really love to see their pledge tier numbers once the game is live.
  • TarmenelTarmenel Member UncommonPosts: 3
    They have not said how many character slots are going to be per account. We only know we can have 1 more if we pledge. So, no need to panic yet.

Also, the FAQ states that there is not going to be cash shop.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Kyleran said:
    Err, wrong forum ? We already know there will be no cash shop.

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited October 2015
    I wish! That is something I always wanted to see. A game where characters were limited to a single one. I really disliked the "alt age" of MMOs, they ruined a lot of game play. I remember numerous complaints from people about leveling speed where people said it was too much work to level their alts. This led the way to more complaints about everything under the sun until developers started specifically designing content for the alt aloholics, making the game easier, spending less time on content progression to design for people to play alt after alt.

Also, the numerous greed looters going on about how they want to roll on that item that dropped because they have an alt that could use it. Then, there was the issues with people who played alts and acted like they knew how to play their classes. It was amusing because EQ took a very long time to learn to get good at your class. In most cases, when someone played an alt it was noticeable.

I liked early EQ where few if any people played an alt and if they did , it was just some "toy" of low level they messed around on. Playing the game on a single character was far too time consuming to take up alts. If they make the game play solid, there should be no need to play an alt.

Though, that is why I said "I wish" as I seriously doubt that is the case. It would be so cool if it was though.
  • ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    @sinist ;

Nah, Alts are good, alt whores populate low lvl areas, and are a good mechanism for new players, i WELCOME alt whores, despite I am more into 1 Character, but making him as powerfull as possible min/max every aspect of it

Zajjar said:
    @sinist ;

Nah, Alts are good, alt whores populate low lvl areas, and are a good mechanism for new players, i WELCOME alt whores, despite I am more into 1 Character, but making him as powerfull as possible min/max every aspect of it

As long as they don't "cater" to alting, It should be ok. As I said, the problem with Alting is the complaints that start driving the development and those complaints will come, they are like clock work.
    Well - personally I dont mind if Pantheon has slow leveling speed. I was never the type who rushed to maxlevel ASAP. I was more enjoying the ride, and I also dont really like the very concept of "endgame". The game should start at level 1, not at maxlevel.

Vanguard had a far too quick one, you couldnt get into your quest gear before you already had outleveled it already again. That sucked. Fortunately they added a "no xp" selfbuff - so if one wanted, one could slow down.

And as I said before, playing other classes helped me play my main character better, too.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    "An additional slot" means +1.

It doesn't mean 1 + 1.
    edited October 2015
    Well - personally I dont mind if Pantheon has slow leveling speed. I was never the type who rushed to maxlevel ASAP. I was more enjoying the ride, and I also dont really like the very concept of "endgame". The game should start at level 1, not at maxlevel.

Vanguard had a far too quick one, you couldnt get into your quest gear before you already had outleveled it already again. That sucked. Fortunately they added a "no xp" selfbuff - so if one wanted, one could slow down.

And as I said before, playing other classes helped me play my main character better, too.
    Exactly, the whole "end game" concept started destroying MMO worlds and turning them into theme parks where everyone sat in line at the end of the game waiting for their treat.

EQ used to take so long to level that by the time the "average" player (in EQ that was a person who played about 3+ hours a night, and maybe a 6-10 hour stretch on the weekend) was not at cap by the time the next expansion came out, and that is if there was a level raise, as often it wasn't even needed. The three most popular releases of EQ (Verants main efforts) were the main release, Kunark, and Velious. Main release went to level 50, Kunark raised it to 60 and Velious had no level raise.

By the time Kunark was released one year later, only extreme players or guilds, or heavy soloers (Druids due to the fact they could make amazing exp killing dwarf guards) were at cap. Most of the player base was still sitting in the mid 40's and used the new content as a means to level due to the better exp from higher mobs. Keep in mind this was a game where your exp came from killing mobs which is basically what everyone did and it puts into perspective how long it took to level.

Velious was released nine months later and many weren't even capped at 60 either (I wasn't, though I was a monk that could not solo to any real meaning after around level 36). EQ had extremely difficult raid content that kept guilds busy and due to the rare drop system, players were constantly seeking to win a coveted loot drop. Not only that, but they would release major raid zones in between it all. You had Plane of Air, Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, Veeshans Peak, Traknon's lair, etc... There really were only a small minority of people who complained about end game content and most of the time, their complaints were not that there was nothing to do, but more so that they bickered claiming the Devs made some raid bosses or events impossible to do.

As for the alts, I can see your point in playing another class and using that to make your main better by understanding other classes, that makes sense and I did the same but by talking at lot with the other classes and having them explain things to me as we played, but my experience was more with people who used a solo class to level up and farm gear/money so they could then twink out a group focused class to play up which they power leveled (most who did any serious alting in EQ, did it on a second account so they could power level their alts) and then were completely unskilled disasters in a group.

This is where the whole alt loot wars began because you would get people claiming they could use that item on an alt. Now people these days may not see that as a big deal because loot in games today drop like candy and take no effort, time or luck to acquire (thanks to the easy token systems), but in EQ, you could spend weeks and months camping an rare mob for a rare drop and never see it. In fact, some items were useful even at much higher levels, so you can see how disruptive the whole "I want to roll on that for my alt" became to groups.

As I said, I have no problems if people want to mess around with alts, but I don't want to see anything changed to cater to them as we have years of games where we have seen what alting creates in terms of design direction. Having more than one character at cap should not be an easy effort, it should be very difficult to achieve unless one can play 24/7. The average player should see having an alt at higher level as impractical due to time and effort.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Kyleran said:

I am sure they ll add cash shop in game after release ! 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    1 character slot in a game like this would suck. I don't think you need 1 slot for each class but 5 is more or less minimum in any game we seen with classes so far and giving out less here would be a mistake, turns away many players.

But I think OP is reading too much into this, since they havn't put up an official number getting upset would be silly. If they announce that it is one slot we can start complaining.

As for no cashshop, plenty of games had extra character slots, name changes and server transfers as "services" long before they started with a cashshop, Pantheon would get away with it as well.
    edited October 2015
    Loke666 said:
    As for no cashshop, plenty of games had extra character slots, name changes and server transfers as "services" long before they started with a cashshop, Pantheon would get away with it as well.
    All of those things are bad for the game and many of us spoke out against it when SoE started doing it. Name changes were used by people to escape poor reputations and the same was done with server transfers both in regards to that and guilds moving to another server because they didn't want to compete with a more skilled guild in raid content.

None of those things are needed. Name changes should never happen by player choice. Server transfers should not be allowed unless it is under a specific situation that warrants such (ie merges and the like) and it shouldn't be something people pay for then. Character slots imo shouldn't be cash gimmick, It is yet another cheap means to gimmick people. Provide a number of slots, be done with it. If people don't like that, they can buy another account. This need to appeal to people who want to have numerous alts is ridiculous as it goes right back to that same problem of catering to alting and that will lead to more complaints, and more mainstream design directions.

Pantheon in my humble opinion is only going to succeed by not being what the current market is.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2015
    Sinist said:
    Loke666 said:
    All of those things are bad for the game and many of us spoke out against it when SoE started doing it. Name changes were used by people to escape poor reputations and the same was done with server transfers both in regards to that and guilds moving to another server because they didn't want to compete with a more skilled guild in raid content.

None of those things are needed. Name changes should never happen by player choice. Server transfers should not be allowed unless it is under a specific situation that warrants such (ie merges and the like) and it shouldn't be something people pay for then. Character slots imo shouldn't be cash gimmick, It is yet another cheap means to gimmick people. Provide a number of slots, be done with it. If people don't like that, they can buy another account. This need to appeal to people who want to have numerous alts is ridiculous as it goes right back to that same problem of catering to alting and that will lead to more complaints, and more mainstream design directions.

Pantheon in my humble opinion is only going to succeed by not being what the current market is.
    Name changes are also used by people that have been harassed. Same with server transfers, a person shouldn't have to lose all of their progress in order to escape being harassed. Name changes are also good in case of spelling mistakes which do tend to happen. It's not hurting a game to allow these two things. Being stuck some where a person doesn't want to be, can. Especially when challenging games come into play, as after significant progress is made, it's understandable to not want to start over.

Servers can also differ in the type of community that is present, look at something like SWG, Bloodfin had a significant PVP population, whereas Wanderhome was heavy on roleplay. Being able to server transfer can help a person get to a community they want to be in. This is especially true as a game matures, when you first join a server you have no idea what types of relations are going to manifest in the grand scheme. Locking folks into a community that becomes toxic is not good for business. Nor is forcing them to start over.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Sinist said:
    I can only say I played Vanguard for seven years and I never heard of any of that ?

The name changes I heard of (I dont remember ever changing one of my own names) happened because the original name was poorly chosen.

At least in the beginning it would have been pointless to try and change the name because you have poor rep; if you really had poor rep, people could check out your characters on the official website and know all your character names and, if you would change them, the new character names.

Also the comment of guilds moving can only have been a very temporary issue. In the later game there was a one week timer on raid bosses that would disallow any problems like that.

Then again I played in Europe, maybe things would be different in the US.
    edited October 2015
    Distopia said:

Name changes are also used by people that have been harassed. Same with server transfers, a person shouldn't have to lose all of their progress in order to escape being harassed. Name changes are also good in case of spelling mistakes which do tend to happen. It's not hurting a game to allow these two things. Being stuck some where a person doesn't want to be, can. Especially when challenging games come into play, as after significant progress is made, it's understandable to not want to start over.

Servers can also differ in the type of community that is present, look at something like SWG, Bloodfin had a significant PVP population, whereas Wanderhome was heavy on roleplay. Being able to server transfer can help a person get to a community they want to be in. This is especially true as a game matures, when you first join a server you have no idea what types of relations are going to manifest in the grand scheme. Locking folks into a community that becomes toxic is not good for business. Nor is forcing them to start over.

If a player is being harassed, then that should be reported to a GM and action can be taken as needed to ban/suspend the offending player. That is how you solve those issues.

Most people who want to change their name it is because they have damaged  their reputation, not because they are being harassed.

There is a solution for the name change though. Make the accounts a unique public name/number that people can see. This way, you can't escape reputation with a name change. People will always know your account and any alt or character you make will have that account identification. This solves the reputation problem so people can't escape such. This is paramount in such intensely social games. Reputation is what drives the community and those who can't function in that society should be easily known.

As for server transfers, they should be specific, not willy nilly. If people are so concerned about a community, have them do their homework first or start over.

These types of "convenience" demands are what started us on the course to mainstream.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Kyleran said:

No cash shop at launch, lets see how long till they add it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:

Yeah ZeniMax said no cash shop in eso and look what happened. Long ago CCP said no cash shop once again. Never Say Never and don't believe what developers tell you

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    SWG=1 character slot
    FFXIV=1 character slot
    Pantheon= 1 character slot

What's the big deal?
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    this game is a few years away still. isn't it?  they just got funding to turn the prototype into an alpha.  wait a few years before you start crying foul.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Interesting assumption, but what game launches with one character slot besides Skyforge?  Even then you can switch classes and double that by playing on both servers.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm sure they will eventually add a cash shop also. You need to make money and cash shop is a great way of doing it despite what they "promised" players. 
    edited October 2015
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Yeah ZeniMax said no cash shop in eso and look what happened. Long ago CCP said no cash shop once again. Never Say Never and don't believe what developers tell you
    Well, the difference here is that ESO was a mainstream game and cash shops are a bit more tolerated in mainstream. Pantheon is being made for a specific niche old school base and if they add a store, they will essentially kill off the only subs they can truly rely on. It would be suicide for them to do so.

While I agree with being skeptical, and you never truly know, a move like this is highly unlikely.

flizzer said:
    I'm sure they will eventually add a cash shop also. You need to make money and cash shop is a great way of doing it despite what they "promised" players. 
    That is what a subscription is for. If they can't survive on a subscription, the game is dead in the water anyway.

Post edited by Sinist on
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SWG=1 character slot
    FFXIV=1 character slot
    Pantheon= 1 character slot

What's the big deal?

I am a major alt-holic and I agree it is not a big deal.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"