Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Number 5 through 1 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

Comments

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Well this list proves what we knew already anyway. That writers have no clue about what makes a good MMO. GW2 no.2? LOL. While WoW certainly deserves to be on the list, making it no.1 because it has the most subs is pretty weak. This is why I never pay much attention to gaming journalists, as if there even is such a thing at this point. I think the only thing I use sites like this for is to find out when game XYZ beta starts or something, and that's about it. I don't know anyone that played EQ and GW2 and would rank GW2 higher, but hey GW2 has an expansion out this month so they need some publicity huh? Shameless.
  • DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    WoW definitely deserves number one, so stop bellyaching about it. I am appalled ESO isn't even here at all, especially since you guys had the balls to put Wildstar so high on this list if at all. Swap EQ and GW2, then put GW2 much earlier on the list, put ESO on it(even if it's #35) and it's not too bad a list.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Putting GW2 in top 5, and even worse above SWG...it all makes sense why now, MONEY. This was the whole point of making this article, of course this is my opinion.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited October 2015
    Lineage at #25 when it is almost 20 years old and has more subs today than anything on this list not named World Of Warcraft. #WTF
    Post edited by Mikeha on
  • HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2015
    LOL So many GW2 haters. The game has almost had the most hits in the last year and should be passing ESO soon, and ANet's quarterly is almost always positive, so keep on hating.

"EQ being listed below anything but WoW, seems silly. Hell, I never even played it and I even understand the cultural significance that EQ had on the mmo world. With no EQ there's no WoW, and with no WoW there's potentially not as many mmos the last decade. According to many around here, EQ should then be the devil and not WoW, but whatever. "

At least this guy had the balls to admit it. Just admit that you played less than half of these games and are only saying what you're saying because you're a follower.

Now play past lvl 20 on GW2 and then make a sound judgement.
  • JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I wonder if Blade and Soul will be here on the list. Also, ESO fanboys please stop crying about it. If you don't like the gameplay overall of the elder scroll you wouldn't like ESO or you would find it boring. And many people do since it's unlike any other mmo. If I had to list it somewhere probably, game to refund #1 would be ESO.
  • raven7680raven7680 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Aori said:
    raven7680 said:
    I played WoW for 10 years and even I can admit that it does NOT deserve to be #1! Top 5 maybe but not #1, games like EQ and UO paved the way for WoW THEY deserve that spot. Both are OLD and still running which says ALOT about them. Please stop putting WoW on a pedestal it no longer deserves.
     So you say WoW no longer deserves the pedestal it sits on, yet UO and EQ can remain on theirs?

Either way going by your logic, Lineage is older than EQ and far more successful, shouldn't it be among the top 5?
    Lineage should be in the top 5, I tend to forget about it since it is no longer playable in North America. 

Devilish Smile photo DevilishSmilejpg

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    This list is a reflection of this sites credibility
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited October 2015
    Scorchien said:
    This list is a reflection of this sites credibility

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Can't understand how I didn't even know Star Wars Galaxies existed at the time, and I'm really peeved that it passed me by.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    LOL So many GW2 haters. The game has almost had the most hits in the last year and should be passing ESO soon, and ANet's quarterly is almost always positive, so keep on hating.

"EQ being listed below anything but WoW, seems silly. Hell, I never even played it and I even understand the cultural significance that EQ had on the mmo world. With no EQ there's no WoW, and with no WoW there's potentially not as many mmos the last decade. According to many around here, EQ should then be the devil and not WoW, but whatever. "

At least this guy had the balls to admit it. Just admit that you played less than half of these games and are only saying what you're saying because you're a follower.

GW2 was doing pretty poorly in terms of money the last time I saw. Not sure how it's doing now but it was only just above Wildstar and that was when Wildstar was dead. 

I have two 80's on GW2 but I don't think it belongs in the top 5. The questing is the worst in any MMO. Great idea but very poorly executed.
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Xav_MMO said:
    Like pretty much everyone with an opinion, I have small quibbles with most things on this list. If you were to give us a list of these games and ask us to order it, I'm sure we'd all have slightly different outcomes. So I'm not talking about those little differences of opinion. But EverQuest not being #1 (ok, fine. #2) on this list is ... and I hate to use the term ... an "outrage."
    It is to be expected. Keep in mind, games like EQ were the niche games. Mainstream didn't like it then, they don't like it now. Are you truly surprised that mainstream decided that list? I would be shocked if WoW and GW2 wasn't at the very top of the list. WoW is the defining mainstream attraction, it started mainstream interest and GW2 is the mainstream hype of the century. They are a different crowd.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Certainly Wow is number 1. WoW is what makes this genre significant enough to catch mainstream eyes and keep the rest of the 24 games on the list populated enough to turn a profit and this website for that matter. WoW wasn't the orginal mmorpg by far, but it is the essense and lifeblood of the genre. Wow has been the breathe of life for this website as well.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    When the top 5 dont look like your top 5, then the list is wrong. Maybe accept that your favorites is not everyones favorites.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The only game i can think of missing for me is Aion. I loved that game. its in my top 5, i understand it not being that high, but to not even make the list. 
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    WoW deserves it for what WoW did for the genre as a whole. You might not like the game, but WoW put MMORPG's into the mainstream. Something that you could actually tell people you played.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Horusra said:
    WoW deserves it for what WoW did for the genre as a whole. You might not like the game, but WoW put MMORPG's into the mainstream. Something that you could actually tell people you played.
    Agreed.

And also... go Blue Jays!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Why I honestly got addicted to my MMO's of choice - 1. AO 2. EQ 3. SWG 4. Shadowbane 5. DAoC - by looking at my list you can see what kind of player I am.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Jimmy562 said:

GW2 was doing pretty poorly in terms of money the last time I saw. Not sure how it's doing now but it was only just above Wildstar and that was when Wildstar was dead. 

I have two 80's on GW2 but I don't think it belongs in the top 5. The questing is the worst in any MMO. Great idea but very poorly executed.
    I believe those numbers you are looking at only reflect GW2 in Korea, or the east. I can't be too sure though.

Anyway, it's good that you played GW2 and you say it's not your flavor. Totally fine. But other people here just straight up say it's bad.

Not that it wasn't their taste, not that it isn't their type of MMO, not that it didn't interest them, but that it was straight up bad. 

A popular MMO can't be bad, it can only not be your flavor... Other people need to realize that the game they call "bad" is doing way better then their own beloved MMO. 

Also, GW2 could not be doing any worse. They just launched a professional championships that give out $400,000 dollars to the top 8 teams. I don't see any other MMO doing that and I honestly don't believe that it is possible to launch professional championships if the game not doing well. 
  • AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    GW2 at #2? and EQ at #4? Drugs are bad...

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    This is a really nice every non-vaporware MMO ever created list. Must have been hard to come up with that one.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited October 2015
    bcbully said:
    smh.. Someone didn't pay their bill *cough* ZOS *cough...

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor