Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Number 5 through 1 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Oi, GW2 at number 2?  If GW2 is that close to the best the genre has to offer, I feel like the genre's just no longer for me.  I played it a bit...  It wasn't very fun (in my opinion).

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    edited October 2015
    Of the 35 they listed, this is how I would have listed them:

1-World of Warcraft
    2-Star Wars Galaxies
    3-City of Heroes
    4-EverQuest
    5-Guild Wars 2
    6-EVE Online
    7-Ultima Online
    8-Star Wars: The Old Republic
    9-The Secret World
    10-Lord of the Rings Online
    11-Age of Conan
    12-Rift
    13-Anarchy Online
    14-Runescape
    15-Everquest 2
    16-Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    17-Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    18-TERA
    19-Planetside 2
    20-Final Fantasy XIV
    21-Dark Age of Camelot
    22-Shadowbane
    23-Lineage 2
    24-Darkfall
    25-Final Fantasy XI
    26-Asheron’s Call
    27-Meridian 59
    28-Wizard101
    29-Fallen Earth
    30-Lineage
    31-Planetside
    32-Path of Exile
    33-WildStar
    34-Ragnarok Online
    35-A Tale in the Desert

However, I am disappointed that Elder Scrolls Online did not make the list. ESO is one of the better MMOs out there and as such it was a mistake leaving it off. I would have placed ESO 4th.

I would like to know why ESO is not on the list.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Thank you for giving us this insight into the gaming taste of the MMORPG.COM staff. I feel oddly comforted by the thought that you are neither more knowledgeable nor discerning than we, the great unwashed, are :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This is a pretty poor list and rankings.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Thornrage said:

1-World of Warcraft
    2-Star Wars Galaxies
    3-City of Heroes
    4-EverQuest
    5-Guild Wars 2
    6-EVE Online
    7-Ultima Online
    9-The Secret World
    11-Age of Conan
    12-Rift
    13-Anarchy Online
    14-Runescape
    15-Everquest 2
    18-TERA
    19-Planetside 2
    20-Final Fantasy XIV
    21-Dark Age of Camelot
    22-Shadowbane
    23-Lineage 2
    24-Darkfall
    25-Final Fantasy XI
    26-Asheron’s Call
    27-Meridian 59
    28-Wizard101
    29-Fallen Earth
    30-Lineage
    31-Planetside
    32-Path of Exile
    33-WildStar
    34-Ragnarok Online
    35-A Tale in the Desert

However, I am disappointed that Elder Scrolls Online did not make the list. ESO is one of the better MMOs out there and as such it was a mistake leaving it off. I would have placed ESO 4th.

Frankly, I'm shocked too. ESO was up there for me, but we polled around 40 writers and staffers, and not enough voted for ESO. Here's hoping it makes it in when we do this again in a couple years.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    yeah this list seems kind of all over the place, i wonder what criteria they used when deciding which is best.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    So ESO isn't in the list at all? After winning the MMO contest and the success it's enjoying in its buy to play model? Even after you guys re-rated it a 85 and it's user scores are over 80? After it was the #1 discussed game here overall for well over a year? I think you've just insulted a sizable base of your readers. However based on the bias of certain authors here with their less successful bombs it's really no surprise, just unprofessional. Pathetic catering to a niche crowd.

There Is Always Hope!

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Frankly, I'm shocked too. ESO was up there for me, but we polled around 40 writers and staffers, and not enough voted for ESO. Here's hoping it makes it in when we do this again in a couple years.

Glad to know I am not the only one shocked.

Even though it did not make this list, ESO is having great success and I enjoy it each time I log in to play. That is what really matters.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Thornrage said:

1-World of Warcraft
    2-Star Wars Galaxies
    3-City of Heroes
    4-EverQuest
    5-Guild Wars 2
    6-EVE Online
    7-Ultima Online
    9-The Secret World
    11-Age of Conan
    12-Rift
    13-Anarchy Online
    14-Runescape
    15-Everquest 2
    18-TERA
    19-Planetside 2
    20-Final Fantasy XIV
    21-Dark Age of Camelot
    22-Shadowbane
    23-Lineage 2
    24-Darkfall
    25-Final Fantasy XI
    26-Asheron’s Call
    27-Meridian 59
    28-Wizard101
    29-Fallen Earth
    30-Lineage
    31-Planetside
    32-Path of Exile
    33-WildStar
    34-Ragnarok Online
    35-A Tale in the Desert

What it shows is that the staff and writers are not in sync with the general public.

There Is Always Hope!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Even though it did not make this list, ESO is having great success and I enjoy it each time I log in to play. That is what really matters. Agreed. I could have just rigged the votes, but despite knowing this would shock folks and upset ESO fans (I am one), I didn't want to do that. Felt dirty. I let the voting stand as it came in, and we'll just have to hope our writing staff has better taste next time. :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Where is Elder Scrolls Online? Better than most games on that list including '#2 GW2'!!!!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @BillMurphy ;

Well since you have all the raw data, you can use it for blackmail and/or performance review purposes :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited October 2015
    INB4 reasons why WoW is awful and so is this list. edit: Too late
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I too am shocked to not see ESO on the list anywhere. They probably should have bought more advertising from MMORPG.com and then they could have landed an undeserved 20 spot too. COH at number five seems odd but I admit I never played it. There seems to be a number of people with fond memories of COH so it seems to belong on the list at least. I regret not being able to play that, SWG, or Everquest back in the heyday. DAOC is still my all time number one.
    edited October 2015

Even though it did not make this list, ESO is having great success and I enjoy it each time I log in to play. That is what really matters.
    Agreed. I could have just rigged the votes, but despite knowing this would shock folks and upset ESO fans (I am one), I didn't want to do that. Felt dirty. I let the voting stand as it came in, and we'll just have to hope our writing staff has better taste next time. :P Shows your writers need to branch out and play more newer MMOs.
  • MaNiaGGMaNiaGG Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Seriously, no ESO at all? Kinda strange list you got there... Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be in the top spot but it definitely belongs in the top35...

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I honestly don't understand why GW2 is number 2 in this list. Although I give props to the art direction, and some aspects of design it was/is by no means a #2 game. GW2 is like fast food, it meets the requirements of food but lacks any real taste. Personally, I feel its predecessor was superior, although not really a fully fleshed out MMO. I played WoW nearly 3 years so can understand it's #1 position. Once upon a time WoW presented a truly immersive world. After it's monster comeback I'm surprised ESO is not on this list. In the end, there are great games from the past and present.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nanfoodle said:
    WoW is a cheap first place. Numbers do not make a great MMO. They stole most of their ideas from other MMOs and when a new MMO would come out with something new and exciting, <snip>
    An element of truth about it being in first place I suspect. They did however add rest exp, clearly marked quest givers a super flexible UI and expanded the market. But yeah.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    ESO is better than most on that list and didn't make it. WoW is not that clever really because they are trying to break it and make it worse with each patch - so something going backwards is hardly meritous of such a position.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It's interesting to see that FFXIV made the top ten and SWTOR did not. I'd be interested to hear why it didn't make the top ten. Not a fanboy really, just curious.
    An opinion:
    SWTOR was - probably - at the cutting edge of "single player" m "m" os. More single player with group options rather than multiplayer that you could solo. A direction other games (even WoW) have gone to varying extents. Consequently I think it will always fall short in an mmo list.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Can anyone tell me why GW2 is so high up?... i went back several months after the launch and went on one of the low lvl alts. Was hardly anyone around doing the zone events and was really tedious doing them solo. Was fun at launch when it was populated any lots of people around but not solo.

So it must be the pvp that makes this so high up?... but then again ESO pvp much the same but not even on the list *confused* or did the world get populated again so most not doing events solo?
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Putting GW2 at #2 is purely a ploy to get a reaction out of the readers. It's ridiculous and honestly not even worth debating. I'd say Wow, eq, and swg are top 3 in that order.. although you can make a case for any of them. Then follow that up with some order of ultima/daoc/eve/gw2/swtor/coh/ffxi/xiv.
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited October 2015
    OK, hopefully-tactfully-written rant inc... I suppose the executive summary should read "EverQuest got robbed." So you can skip to the next post if you don't want to read it. :)

I knew WoW would get #1. I don't agree with it, but I knew it would. Very few can look past huge subscription numbers and really think about the substance. Ironically, most of the other game descriptions DO look past things like low-subs, or cancelled production to get to the substance. But not in the case of the WoW, apparently. "But 10 million subscribers can't be wrong!" Yes they can. Everyone has a favorite ice cream, but most people also happen to like vanilla. So saying the best ice cream is vanilla because everyone likes it, is not an accurate statement.

In my opinion WoW did very little actual innovation of the genre, and instead stole the ideas of other games and integrated them into theirs. I don't fault them for it, it is what businesses do. And they were good at it.

What WoW did better than most was outside the game. The new user experience, PR, etc. Top-notch. Although I am talking about how great their new-user experience was (and frankly, WoW was probably one of the easiest games to _begin_ playing I've ever played), don't forget that what is happening IN that experience is the same as all the other games that came before it. They didn't invent it. Any of it, really. All they did was put a better wrapper around it. And by doing all this (and very well), they were able to garner huge subscription numbers.

I equate it to Henry Ford - his company didn't revolutionize the automobile, it revolutionized the production line. So much so that he is often thought of in the context of inventing the automobile. This list is the equivalent to "best automobile." And in that regard, WoW is not the best.

EverQuest should be #1 in my opinion. The very first sentence in the write-up alone should have been enough to warrant a top spot. But in the face of my expectations (above), I expected it to be #2. But #4? Sorry. No.

No way that SWG is/was better than EQ. Was SWG a good game? Absolutely. But not better than EQ. And no way in H*LL is GW2 better. It may be newer and shinier, but not "better." And then you factor in that EQ is still going strong and still releasing expansions ... I know it's just my opinion. But come on, really?

Like pretty much everyone with an opinion, I have small quibbles with most things on this list. If you were to give us a list of these games and ask us to order it, I'm sure we'd all have slightly different outcomes. So I'm not talking about those little differences of opinion. But EverQuest not being #1 (ok, fine. #2) on this list is ... and I hate to use the term ... an "outrage."
    MrSyn said:
    Can anyone tell me why GW2 is so high up?... i went back several months after the launch and went on one of the low lvl alts. Was hardly anyone around doing the zone events and was really tedious doing them solo. Was fun at launch when it was populated any lots of people around but not solo.

So it must be the pvp that makes this so high up?... but then again ESO pvp much the same but not even on the list *confused* or did the world get populated again so most not doing events solo?
    Don't get the 'love' for GW2 and ignoring the existence of ESO from the staff/writers either.  Simply bizarre to leave ESO out of a top 35 all-time MMO list.  Must be some organizational bias because, again, simply strange.
  • ArkangylGArkangylG Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Wow, Tabula Rasa completely passed over. Sad.