Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dave Georgeson - His words, will they come to pass and how so?

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
edited October 2015 in EverQuest Next
Dave Georgeson "I talk to lots of the dev team folks on a personal level, but we don't usually discuss Landmark or EQN. So I know there have been scope and direction changes"

Is he talking out the side of his mouth or is this fact? If there is changes what kind? AI scrapped, destructible world scrapped or could it be a change old EQ fans would hope for like combat brought back to a old school trinity? Whats your thoughts?
Post edited by Nanfoodle on

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Daybreak you would do well to put the money for EQN, in EQ and EQ2 not many folks are gonna want to give to much money to a guy with a pony tail.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dave Georgeson "I talk to lots of the dev team folks on a personal level, but we don't usually discuss Landmark or EQN. So I know there have been scope and direction changes"

Is he talking out the side of his mouth or is this fact? If there is changes what kind? AI scrapped, distributable world scrapped or could it be a change old EQ fans would hope for like combat brought back to a old school trinity? Whats your thoughts?
    Scope and direction changes were made public when they announced that SOE was purchased by another company. Anyone that didnt understand this, was just choosing to be ignorant.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited October 2015
    Nanfoodle said:

Is he talking out the side of his mouth or is this fact? If there is changes what kind? AI scrapped, distributable world scrapped or could it be a change old EQ fans would hope for like combat brought back to a old school trinity? Whats your thoughts?
    Scope and direction changes were made public when they announced that SOE was purchased by another company. Anyone that didnt understand this, was just choosing to be ignorant.
    After that they were very clear in stating, we are making the same game and the plan is still the plan. If we make changes we will let you know. So if this is true I expect to hear about it over the next few months. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ALL of their direction has been the same for the past 3 or so years.

If you really have followed SOE over the years,you should be able to see it.

This is going to be a RUSH job like everything else they do.The reason is simple,they are not after triple A anymore but instead after fast cash grabs.

I said it before,i would not be surprised in the least if they tried to offer some early access for Christmas time.

I would think by now that MOST realize LM was never meant to be a game,it was simply a gimmick to help fund Next.Has anyone actually seen what looks like a full team working on LM,of course not,they wanted people to make their assets and a little money to boot.

By scope ,he simply means no depth,as i said this is a rush job.When a game is rushed it will be nothing more than a simplistic game with the same old same old,toss in a generated map,some mobs and tie them to npc quests gg thanks for your money.I also expect the GRIND to try and mimic a game with longevity will also be the same old loot grind in instance/dungeons.I already have this game tagged as a C rating at best.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

After that they were very clear in stating, we are making the same game and the plan is still the plan. If we make changes we will let you know. 
    The two are not mutually exclusive. 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nanfoodle said:
    For Landmark, the direction change was visible as soon as Dave left. They stopped acting like Dave did: a game that was going to open beta in March 2015. Now it is back to what they originally intended: a game used to make assets for EQNext via the workshop. They don't even talk about open beta anymore.

For EQNext, that could be a lot of things and it doesn't mean that the features they talked about were removed. For example, they could have removed enemies types we never heard off. They could have revamped the crafting systems. We know they revamped the combat system (to make it more action oriented with active blocking last I heard). 

One thing that seems to have changed in term of scope, going by the Halas workshop, is that the game might open its servers with more than just Qyenos as a start city. Which means a larger scope.
    IMO this kinda forces DGC to make an answer to where they are. Dave had to know what he was doing when he opened his mouth.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Nanfoodle said:
    IMO this kinda forces DGC to make an answer to where they are. Dave had to know what he was doing when he opened his mouth.
    Not really.

Beyond the 50 or so people still paying attention to EQN, no one really cares one way or another.

They could hold off on everything, including the Workshops, and re-reveal in a year or two with an actual "game" and very few would care about current or past events.

If it is good, people will play it, if it is bad, fewer people will play it. Either way they make money. Hyping folks up when they are depending on fan support seems to usually backfire in most cases. Don't know of any big name game that has retained a decent portion of its fanbase after the initial launch, despite hype pulling fans in hand over fist. Well maybe WoW, but even they have lost million upon millions of fans/customers.

Is what it is and the comment didn't seem to mean anything really. Much like everything, can be taken any number of ways. Clearly they changed direction/scope of their fan interaction, but beyond that, just a question mark.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

After that they were very clear in stating, we are making the same game and the plan is still the plan. If we make changes we will let you know. 
    The two are not mutually exclusive. 
    @Nanfoodle   I saw that in Dave's statement, and figured it was just Dave being Dave.  The snippet about changes may have also been a bit disingenuous, displaying some bitterness over his loss of control of the game.  My take was that he was looking back with fondness on the project he once considered his.  Any insider information he may have access to is now all different, and not in line with his original vision.

But, I'm with @Superman0X here.  What was known of EQ:N, rather what we think we knew of EQ:N, changed when CN became the new owner and renamed SOE to Daybreak.  The only people I know of at Daybreak are all SOE alumni, and they were the only ones who have been speaking.  I think I've only heard one name that is Daybreak / CN, and I'm not entirely certain this person wasn't ex-SOE as well.  CN has some degree of say in the decision making at Daybreak, including project direction, but that is being kept very much under wraps.

And @Nanfoodle, I think you meant destructible instead of distributable, unless you have some really juicy insider information which hasn't been beaten to death on these forums.  :)

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Stupid auto correct 
    My two cents on the matter is this was to be the year of EQN and there is 2.5 months left in the year. My guess is Dave does have an inside track and know something. I think he showed their hand when they were not ready. My feeling is sometime soon we will be getting info from the Devs about what the changes are but who knows I could be wrong.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nanfoodle said:
    My two cents on the matter is this was to be the year of EQN and there is 2.5 months left in the year. My guess is Dave does have an inside track and know something. I think he showed their hand when they were not ready. My feeling is sometime soon we will be getting info from the Devs about what the changes are but who knows I could be wrong.
    Or you could learn to read his full anwers and realize that he knows nothing: So I know there have been scope and direction changes, and there were obviously team size changes at the same time that I left. Consequently, that means I don't really know much more than you do about what's going on there now, what the flavor of the game will be when completed, or when it will be done.

In other word, he's guessing based on the state of the game when he left.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Elsabolts said:
    Daybreak you would do well to put the money for EQN, in EQ and EQ2 not many folks are gonna want to give to much money to a guy with a pony tail.
    That's what I look for in my games, if they have been developed by a guy with a ponytail.  I think non-ponytailed developers are way more important than gameplay.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think there is no reason to expect the developers to tell anything.  As if they are going to run to the forums to tell people this or that feature has been eliminated.  Bad news like that will just push away the few people still following the game. 

I know they promised they would tell people if there were changes, but what does that really mean?  When will they tell anything if they even do?  2 months, 6 months at the release of the game?  It is an non-answer answer.

This team also said it was "the year of EQN!" so expect big things!!!!  Not only is this year sailing by with no real sharing of information, but the team has actually stopped discussing the game. 

I would guess Dave still communicates with his former co-workers and friends who do give him some idea of how things are going, but he really cant discuss them.  Same with any other company that slashes staff.  People still talk quietly among each other.  Sometimes a little info slips out, but it is pretty obvious that changes are going to happen with the game after all that has happened.  How drastic is the only real question.

Daffid011 said:

I think there is no reason to expect the developers to tell anything.  As if they are going to run to the forums to tell people this or that feature has been eliminated.  Bad news like that will just push away the few people still following the game. 

I know they promised they would tell people if there were changes, but what does that really mean?  When will they tell anything if they even do?  2 months, 6 months at the release of the game?  It is an non-answer answer.

This team also said it was "the year of EQN!" so expect big things!!!!  Not only is this year sailing by with no real sharing of information, but the team has actually stopped discussing the game. 

I would guess Dave still communicates with his former co-workers and friends who do give him some idea of how things are going, but he really cant discuss them.  Same with any other company that slashes staff.  People still talk quietly among each other.  Sometimes a little info slips out, but it is pretty obvious that changes are going to happen with the game after all that has happened.  How drastic is the only real question.

One clear change in scope and direction is the public interaction. Both Landmark and EQN were working on community based development... which is now dropped, in favor of the faster closed development model. The reality is that Landmark should not have been revealed until it was almost ready to launch. EQN should still not have been revealed, and should come out 6M or less prior to launch.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    It's interesting to see how views have changed and how those fans of EQN before the buyout, are now waffling their position..  It's very clear that EQN is not even remotely close to what they originally yapped about that got them "best game" awards.. Ha Ha.. From visiting the DBG company website, I'm still lost to know what direction they are taking.. Not just EQN, but all their games.. The forums are darn near a ghost town, and meaningful communication is few and far between..
    Rydeson said:
    It's interesting to see how views have changed and how those fans of EQN before the buyout, are now waffling their position..  It's very clear that EQN is not even remotely close to what they originally yapped about that got them "best game" awards.. Ha Ha.. From visiting the DBG company website, I'm still lost to know what direction they are taking.. Not just EQN, but all their games.. The forums are darn near a ghost town, and meaningful communication is few and far between..
    DGC is moving their office right now and they said they would be down for two weeks. I had hoped they would respond to this anyways but looks like we still need to wait =-) Personally Im in for the long haul like I have been with any MMO I have followed over the years. But would someone tell the staff at DGC that I am getting old and I am not sure how many more games I have in me to wait for lol. 
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Rydeson said:
    Don't really see any waffling from folks that previously wanted EQN to do well (very few post as it is). Circumstances change degree of hope, but is what it is. Beyond unannounced changes, they haven't changed direction beyond their communication style which is a big deal for some.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    we need to understand without big bucks from say sony this project will go stale
    best bet is to get it on early access
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    My guess is they are going to pull a Blizzard. Scrap it and make it something completely different than it was ala Titan ---> Overwatch.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think they dropped the ball when they decided to go all Disney on us. After that I never saw EQN as an EQ title but Free Realms 2.0 stealing the EQ name to get a larger audience instead of just kids.

Remembering back to Planetside 2 release.. All my MMO friends jumped into the game just to see how great the world looked.. All of us were imagining how great EQN would look and then we were blindsided with the reveal. That took the wind out of many of us IMO. The excitement was gone at that point for me.