Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Battlefront Beta: Curse of Star Wars games intact

Comments

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I've had that problem on other games, and yeah it is always "Spam the Enter button" that works haha.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    They nailed the visuals and sounds in the game, it looks and sounds absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the gameplay is so shallow that I couldn't play more than a couple hours before never wanting to touch it again. Why does noone try to make a solid FPS with depth using this great IP, I just don't get it... ;/

And yet a game like this gets so much attention while Unreal Tournament which is free to try right now in pre-alpha hardly gets any. Another great game that doesn't get much attention is Reflex(early access available on steam) with innovations such as being able to build maps together on servers and great movement mechanics.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    It needs more weapon and class options.. other than that it's perfect.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Astro6 said:
    There is no substance in the game i was hoping for a star wars battlefront similar to Planetside 2, but after trying the beta i will not even bother playing it nothing more than alpha battlefield with starwars skins and sounds.

"alpha battlefield with star wars skins and sounds."  That's all they claimed they were making.  These hopes and dreams of a SW PS 2 were delusions.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    So... Let me see if i got this right.... You people are familiar with the Battlefield series... You know how they work... You are familiar with the studio and how they operate.... 

And still you expect that they will deliver something that is far outside their regular offerings...? 

Dice does one thing and one thing only... small to medium skirmishes with a lot of instant action. They do not do massive battles nor do they do advanced tactical shooters... So why anyone expected anything else this time i do not know.

With that said this is perhaps the  smoothest game in a long time, even my potato can run it looking good and with a good framerate. Also the set dressing is simply stunning, it is very much star wars like we know and well.. love. 

But it was always intended to be Battlefield in Star Wars clothing and that is what we got... Sorry. 

This have been a good conversation

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    If you get a black screen but still can see UI elements and unit markers the problem is related to origin overlay for the voice chat.  If you un-select show person chatting in game in settings while in Origin the problem should instantly go away.

As for the game, extremely disappointing.  That said, I wanted a tactical, deep experience, if all you want is to feel like you are in the movies I think it will be just fine for you.  The audio, at least running dolby through my home receiver sounds amazing and the graphics are great.. just wasn't what I was looking for.  

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I was really happy that EA was doing the open beta with SW Battlefront and thought it must be good as they must think so too as it is essentially a try before you buy for most gamers.

With the thought of EA's confidence being high I was eager to get started and was quite excited when the downloading finished and I went into the game. Alas my excitement soon dwindled away to frustration and then I wish I was playing something else.

The one thing everyone has said is that the game looks amazing which is true but can that alone be the best feature about the game.

I know it was just a beta but I know I will not buy it when released and I dare say there are many others out there thinking the same, so what idiot at EA decided that this open beta was going to be a good idea.
    It is called stress testing the servers... Kind of an important step these days... And you kinda need actuall people to do that. So they did not have much of an option. 

Also while a bunch of people here feel betrayed because this game did not live up to their carefully crafted visions of what a game should be (as compared to actually listening to the developer  on what game they are making) i know a lot of people who are both BF and SW fans and that felt that HardLine was a decent game mechanically but did not like the setting... They will most likely enjoy the heck out of this game. 

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I thought it was fun. I hate the 40 vs 40 map. Any map that has air support or too many vehicles annoys me. One player who is epic in a fighter jet can ruin the entire game for all 40 players on the opposite side. I actually argue that they ruin the game for all 79 players, because the winning team with the amazing pilot are just going through the motions.

Still a fun game though. I'll enjoy it more when maps come out that have 'NO' air support and its all ground based units.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Coated said:
    I thought it was fun. I hate the 40 vs 40 map. Any map that has air support or too many vehicles annoys me. One player who is epic in a fighter jet can ruin the entire game for all 40 players on the opposite side. I actually argue that they ruin the game for all 79 players, because the winning team with the amazing pilot are just going through the motions.

Still a fun game though. I'll enjoy it more when maps come out that have 'NO' air support and its all ground based units.
    When I played Planetside, I was typically an Engineer / Medic who repaired and healed Tower CC defenders.  When I was lucky and got a tower Turret slot I always went after the Air Units.  But I never saw anyone equipe an AA / AV load out and defend against them.  At least not for long.  Problem is they make a AA / AV only load out.  They shoot one Aircraft and they are done.   Vehicles may be powerful weapon platforms, but in a game of rock paper scissors there is always a counter.  That's all a FPS is anyways a glorified game of rock paper scissors and lag(whoever has the least lag has the most skill).

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• NukeGamerNukeGamer Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 309
    Haha it's a BETA we got to play two maps and one "mission".  I understand it's EA and you guys need to jump on the hate EA bandwagon in order to be "cool" for a day.  plus it's on console (I thought it was way better on the xb1 then my PC) so another opportunity for you guys to jump on the hate bandwagon to be "cool" for a day I guess. 
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Played like a re-skinned Battlefield.
    Looked good but not enough for me to fork out the cash. I'll wait the 6 months to a year when it goes FTP.
  • RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I actually enjoy the game, especially when I have a partner. Haven't had fun in an FPS besides Destiny since COD:MW2.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Whatever.
    The game will sell like hot cakes. And EA knows this.

You can basically package pile of shit and sell it under SW license and masses will buy it.

Whatever.

You can basically package pile of shit and sell it under SW license and masses will buy it.

True... Add to that a fairly competent shooter with enough ambiance that i could be sold as a walking sim experience and you have a run away hit. 

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    "T for Teen" means a babies game
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    DMKano said:
    It's fun for about 1 hour when you first try out all the powerups.

After a while it's a bore especially as players just realize hiding in the hills and sniping is the easiest winning "tactic" 

Feels and sounds like Star Wars but very shallow.

Still worth a couple of hours of fun - so worth a download IMO 
    You can't camp hills, snipe and win. You must play the objectives or you lose.

I actually really enjoy Battlefront and think it's a Star Wars FPS done right. It doesn't have the tactics or depth of a Battlefield game but Star Wars isn't about that. Battle of Hoth actually feels like the Battle of Hoth, fast paced and non stop action.

I've honestly never had so much fun playing a single map over and over. 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited October 2015
    tawess said:
    It is called stress testing the servers... Kind of an important step these days..
    I must LOL at your statement right there, stresstest a 20v20 battle?, Dice? REALLY?

Come on, It was pure promo from their side they really thought this fars of a game are so awesome they went with a OB to stroll on the street "look at me "

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    We'll see what everyone saying 'It's awesome' will be saying after they play the same maps, with the same vehicles on the same rails after 30 days..:D

I'll bet you'll be able to cut&paste the BF4 complaints right over here.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    We'll see what everyone saying 'It's awesome' will be saying after they play the same maps, with the same vehicles on the same rails after 30 days..:D

You don't think people realize that's what they'll be doing if they buy such a game? That's what playing a shooter means. Most of them consist of hallways lol. Who expects something deep from such a game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    I love Star Wars and I also loved the sight and sounds of the game. 

Alas, like many here I didn't get much enjoyment past a few hours of play. I guess I'm not a BF, CoD type fan. :)

More power to those that like or love it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2015
    I was really happy that EA was doing the open beta with SW Battlefront and thought it must be good as they must think so too as it is essentially a try before you buy for most gamers.

With the thought of EA's confidence being high I was eager to get started and was quite excited when the downloading finished and I went into the game. Alas my excitement soon dwindled away to frustration and then I wish I was playing something else.

The one thing everyone has said is that the game looks amazing which is true but can that alone be the best feature about the game.

I know it was just a beta but I know I will not buy it when released and I dare say there are many others out there thinking the same, so what idiot at EA decided that this open beta was going to be a good idea.

As well as being a stress test / publicity it is also an opportunity for you to see if you like it - and if you don't you won't buy it - you may be upset if you had some expectations but if you got to try it and then decided not to buy it because it wasn't for you it should be a none issue. The alternative: you don't get to try it, spend money, don't like it, feel "ripped off" and spend the next "year" complaining about it. That is what they don't want.

If they have the game play right then people will buy the new story packs / missions / maps. You don't go and see a film and expect to watch a 10 hour epic. It is a finite experience. Is the experience worth the price being charged - that is a valid question. To expect "endless" "awesomeness" - well some will as you suggest.
    Whatever.
    Up to a point but not to the wider masses.

SW BF looks good though - as long as people don't expect it to be something it is not.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I cant say much about the gameplay because I just playeda few games but on other sites they said that it needs a big box to be played. Naturally I dusted off my old box and tried it.

The PC has a dual core 2.9 ghz cpu, a massiv 7790 amd gpu and some awesome 4gb ram. I used the settings the game said I could use: 1080p and low.

Loading was a pain in the behind! Whenever I had to switch screens there was time for a coffee. Starting the game I was able to get a coffee, bake a cake, get a 2nd coffee, eat a piece of said cake and have a 3rd coffee (yes I know, I have a problem!). But it does work!

Once in game there was no lag, low 30ish frames sure but no lag! That was in the 8v8 mode. After some games I tried singleplayer and experienced some lag between waves but nothing extreme for such a bad setup.

The only problems I ran into was when I went for the 20v20 walker mode. Everytime I tried joining it gave me a session no longer available error. I tried to decrease the resolution but that froze the PC. After 20min I restarted and wrote this post.

I will try the 20v20 tomorrow again after modding the game a bit. I just wanted to let ppl know that while it takes time to load it does work on a crappy 2 core PC with a bad gpu and low ram.