Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Housing

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Phasing is just an instance without visible loading screen. You will still have multiple player houses in the same spot in the world. And you will not be able to see other player's housing if they don't invite you.
    With non instanced housing, you would be able to see other player's housing and also would be able to look inside (provided it has clear glass in the windows or open windows :p ).
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited November 2015
    It will be a huge mistake if they do instanced housing. There are many ways to do this without messing up the game world. You can force styles by zones to keep themes and do housing clusters in each zone. You can also do cheap instanced apartments for those who don't care much about it or who don't have much gold in all the major cities.

Am I the only one who wants to show everyone else how bad ass I am with a big house, tower, or keep? Not to mention the roleplay element it adds
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I bet if a game had both instanced housing and non-instanced housing most of the Down with Housing crowd would still have a house in the world. Maybe the answer is to have housing be unlocked some way so that people who don't care need not be bothered. Also they would need to make sure that player housing doesn't allow for permanent structures that stay after the player is gone. 

ESO is a solid game but it suffers from a finite content pool. If they introduced robust instanced + non-instanced housing, player driven quests, roleplaying tools, and a big ole continent for emergent play ESO would have my every extra gaming dollar. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited November 2015
    Cothor said:
    It will be a huge mistake if they do instanced housing. There are many ways to do this without messing up the game world. You can force styles by zones to keep themes and do housing clusters in each zone. You can also do cheap instanced apartments for those who don't care much about it or who don't have much gold in all the major cities.

Am I the only one who wants to show everyone else how bad ass I am with a big house, tower, or keep? Not to mention the roleplay element it adds
    how will they do that with the megaserver phasing though? what if someone you don't know puts their house in the same spot you do? are you going to fit every single players house on the entire megaserver in unique lots? i don't see how it is even possible.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is not hard at all,just a cost saving reason is why games don't have it.
    NomadMorlock said:
    Housing is in the works. Currently being designed. No official info released beyond this. 
    That is nice but means they sold you a half finished game,a rush job to get your money and give you the effort later.
    My gut feeling,is they can use it as leverage  to sell another xpack/dlc,so like so m,any games promising it later,they are just selling you the original game several times over before it finally reaches a Triple A state.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Instanced housing sucks IMO and I really hope they don't do it. Take the time and do it right.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Dreycraft said:
    So tired of instanced housing in mmos, this housing system just never does it for me and is always immersion breaking. ESO has the best immersion I've seen in the genre in a while and doing it this way is the wrong choice. But I'm a realist and I know this is what we're going to get, I would kill to have neighborhoods with houses and apartments in all the major cities for the poorer players. If I remember correctly the last time I saw housing like this was in EQ II, but it was there at launch. To do non instanced housing after your game world is already completed sounds like waaay too big of a project. Still can't wait to see what they've come up with.
    All non instanced housing i have seen so far, wasnt that great, in UO it ruined most of the world, in Vanguard the towns where allways abandoned..

nah, instanced housing in zones like in Lotro is the way to go... Combine housing zones with social activities ans you are all set
    I often find myself agreeing with you, but this time I have to say that as a total fan boy of LOTRO the one thing I never liked were the housing zones.  I enjoyed collecting my trophies, owning my own guild house, and decorating but the thrill was short lived. My LOTRO guild even went so far as to buy out a few streets and create RP events for our neighborhood, but these died out quickly. The vendor discounts were also nice, but in the end there was no real motivation for having a house outside of the added storage.

AC on the other hand offered lots of material benefits not to mention bragging rights with trophies on display both inside and out, teleports and of course plot location. Even DAOC, with its instanced neighborhoods, provided some utility with the hiring of vendors. 

I also loved the EQ2 City Apts. This for me was an innovative way to give you a sense of immersion while still having an instanced space. EQ2 has such a plethora of housing items and collectibles, the pursuit of such became its own game.

I hope the developers look back at the many different housing iterations and see those features which made the game more dynamic. Like you suggest, I would be happy to see more "social events" and maybe the implementation of more role-playing tools. Perhaps there are innovative ways to use housing as a means to promote more community interaction.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited November 2015
    Make one house (or a couple, cheap and expensive versions) in a city to be on sale, everyone can buy that and when you enter it there will be an instance for every house owner. Easy, and the least offensive way to introduce housing.

Houses in Skyrim are instanced, didn't you know that? There is a loading screen when you enter those... I'd say that ESO has more uninstanced houses than Skyrim!

I loved LoTRO housing, but the instances were always empty. Idea was great, but the execution lacking. Make the entry to the instance inside the NPC town and people would love that.

Also, hooks and furniture placing in general needs some serious thinking. Free placing would be best, but there will propably be some kind of restrictions.

EDIT. AKA just like they sell houses in SP Elder Scrolls, there is always houses for sale, they are instanced etc.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:
    NomadMorlock said:
    Housing is in the works. Currently being designed. No official info released beyond this. 
    That is nice but means they sold you a half finished game,a rush job to get your money and give you the effort later.

If they had released the game with every conceivable thing in it so they never had to add anything new, you'd be the first to bitch about the lack of new content lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    baphamet said:
    Cothor said:

how will they do that with the megaserver phasing though? what if someone you don't know puts their house in the same spot you do? are you going to fit every single players house on the entire megaserver in unique lots? i don't see how it is even possible.

Exactly why megaservers suck and are anti-community.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    reeereee said:
    It's almost certainly going to be instanced.  The time to make non-instanced housing was when they were designing the cities/countryside.

Edit: Maybe they'll prove me wrong, owning a house in some of the cities would be bad-ass I just don't see them going for it as instanced housing is so much easier.
    They could always go Black Desert style and make it so the houses in cities are purchasable by the player and it just changes to your house when you walk into it via phasing.  That way every house is able to be purchased by any player in the game.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I would love to see housing in ESO but the way Zenimax handles the game and issues along with bugs I don't see them really doing a good job with them. They will just create more bugs and big issues they never fix. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    reeereee said:
    It's almost certainly going to be instanced.  The time to make non-instanced housing was when they were designing the cities/countryside.

Edit: Maybe they'll prove me wrong, owning a house in some of the cities would be bad-ass I just don't see them going for it as instanced housing is so much easier.
    They could always go Black Desert style and make it so the houses in cities are purchasable by the player and it just changes to your house when you walk into it via phasing.  That way every house is able to be purchased by any player in the game.
    I was thinking the same thing, it would keep the environment intact but still give the feeling of the housing actually existing in the world.
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Rasiem said:
    They said they wanted to do it right thats why it wasnt in release 
    This is the standard excuse that developers use when the are unable to deliver some content,years of development,millions invested and still games keep showing at release half way done.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Open world housing never works.  First of all, a lot of people abandon games, leading to ghost towns.  Second, it leads to people using it as a crowbar to extract real-world cash from digital environments - basically leveraging scarcity if the supply is limited.  This does ugly things to game community.
    Granted, instanced housing creates instanced ghost towns, e.g. LOTRO, but at least no one else has to see them.

I think that this is one of many areas where the underlying impulse is just better served in single player games.  The elaborate base-building in something like Fallout 4 simply dwarfs anything that you could pull off in a MMO.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    reeereee said:
    When was the last major MMO to do non-instanced housing? 

Trove and ArcheAge are the first two that I can think of. Maybe the only two. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Viper482 said:
    baphamet said:
    Cothor said:

Exactly why megaservers suck and are anti-community.
    I don't think we can say that. First they are in their infancy; second there are different ways they can be implemented and - at the end of the day - a megaserver is simply a bigger server. They key issue is around phasing.

What we do know is that having an initial population spread across "hundreds of servers" that then plummets resulting in ghost servers and the almost inevitable mergers usually followed by more mergers is "anti-community".

Which is the upside of mega-servers
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    NomadMorlock said:

If they had released the game with every conceivable thing in it so they never had to add anything new, you'd be the first to bitch about the lack of new content lol.
    You don't know me too well,i never in my entire life bitch about no new content.I am currently playing on TL EQ2 servers,we don't get new content ,it released super slow as most players vote no.I am actually a person that will scoff if new content is added just to make a buck,i only want quality new content not just new content.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I don't know about that Wizardry, you have been here a long time at this site and see you complain about dam near everything.

That just my observation.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited November 2015
    I am all for them doing it in typical ES style...renting rooms, buying homes etc...Similar to Black Desert actually. You can get an apartment in the towns in Black Desert and there are no loading screens when you walk in. That would work well in ESO in my opinion, and would be even cooler if you could have a personal trade vendor but I doubt that will ever happen with the whole guild setup.....
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2015
    They could have persistent inns in every major city and maybe some smaller towns too. That way you can rent a room  (instanced room) for the night. That would work for those who usually dont make enough money to own their own house in game.

Inns full of NPCs and the innkeeper lets player rent instanced rooms. That would be nice.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    honestly they should make non instanced player housing and lock it behind the subscription.  It would solve alot of problems, make it just like Asheron's Call I agree, with f2p only allowed to get instanced apartments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    reeereee said:

They could try what Black Desert is doing in that all for-sale buildings existing in the world are able to be purchased by players.  With them then being broken down through phasing, so that hundreds could own the same house and it will just phase to their version (and allow anyone to pick what version they want to see).
    That's still instancing. Phasing = instancing with flair.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    EQ2 Has the best housing to me.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    When housing is implemented it will absolutely be instanced.  There is no other way to handle it, the game uses megaservers.  The way housing has worked in other elder scrolls games will still work here - you can buy certain properties, you can't edit the outside of the house, but inside is all yours.  Perfect for instancing.