Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game needs ESO's control scheme.

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    and incase you wanna see how that system is used for real, try wildstar.

not reduced to having 5 skills and hellllllll that action combat can actually be done right as you will see :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    If they redid the combat system in TSW I bet it'd take off...
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited October 2015
    filmoret said:

@josko9 I couldn't agree more on how much better it feels when you are playing the game.  Sure you cant use 400 skills like in WOW but you do have more control of the character and it has a much better feel.  Tera also did a good job with their action combat.  GW2 really needs to update.

@Malabooga considering GW2 is probably the best mmo ever created yes I will make a thread about once a year to see if they fixed this issue.  Because I would love to come play this game again.

This is second this year, and nothing needs fixing. Defintely not downgrade to ESO. And definitiely not something so crappy as TERA.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Sorry, but GW2 combat is awful.  It's one thing to trim the fat on skills, it's an entirely other thing to stop getting anything new at level 20ish. 
    Comments like these only show that you have clearly never played the game.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Google "GW2 ICM" and install it. It makes combat work like ESO. You still have more skills of course.. but in no way is that ever a bad thing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Vannor said:
    Google "GW2 ICM" and install it. It makes combat work like ESO. You still have more skills of course.. but in no way is that ever a bad thing.
    Ah I remember this subject last year someone said it wasn't legal software.  Since I don't play the game I will try it and see what happens.  I will give an update later to see if anet warns me about it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    josko9 said:
    Nicco77 said:
    GW2,ESO,TSW have the worst combat system in the recent mmorpg history,they are clunky,shallow and repetitive.
    I don't know about TSW but GW2, ESO and Tera are in the top 3 of the best MMO combat systems ever. That is until a new MMO generation comes with a better combat system.

ESO is the reason why I just can't bring myself to play the badly outdated tab-targetting combat system. Don't get me wrong, tab-targetting (automatic dice-roll block,dodge luck system) was great 5+ years ago, but in 2015 it has no place in this genre anymore, not when the Action Combat is superior in every possible way.

30+ Skills on your bars when half of them or even more are duplicates with a different name is just not a good game design (WoW). Absurd CDs when CDs shouldn't even be in this genre anymore is even a worse game design (FFXIV). 
    Seriously there is not a single thing that Tab-targetting does better over the Action Combat. Action Combat is more fun, it depends more on skill (not luck), it's more fluid, more dynamic and it also feels a lot more realistic. You actually feel like hitting something, and while doing that you also dodge-roll around and block or interrupt the attacks.
    ESO is pretty much a soft tab target game as well, the same with GW2. Tera really is the only true action combat game of the 3, maybe Wildstar as well. Also, ESO combat is just plain horrible, it is clunky and boring with only the illusion of depth. 
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited October 2015

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited October 2015
    The single biggest problem I think gw2 has is how you need to hold down the RMB and further develop carpel tunnel to play the game, at least ESO allows mods without fear of being banned like in gw2.  Mods like ICM in gw2 are use at your own risk and even if you send in a support ticket asking about it they give you the general tos reply and avoid answering if it is illegal or not.  Mostly if you use it whether you get banned or not is at their discretion.

You would think a recent game like gw2 would have an option in game to be able to lock down the camera like in ddo and so many other games...there's no good excuse to not have this available.

I don't care about a game being tab target or action it shouldn't have to be uncomfortable or painful to actually play due to lack of control scheme options.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Good responses and that video was too funny but so true.
    Ok just wanted to update that the ICM works very well and it has me playing this game again because of it.  According to the rules it is legal because it does not alter game files in any way.  If they banned this program they would have to ban all gaming mouse and keyboards as well.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2015
    Update:  Glad it worked out for you.  I use personal assistant overlay with no problems so far.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited October 2015
    filmoret said:
    Ok just wanted to update that the ICM works very well and it has me playing this game again because of it.  According to the rules it is legal because it does not alter game files in any way.  If they banned this program they would have to ban all gaming mouse and keyboards as well.
    Many people use it and haven't been banned yes but in no official way is it "legal" even if you ask in the officail gw2 forum you will get a huge long thread with people arguing about this very thing and all Anet will do is quote:

ArenaNet cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party programs. Our general policy is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden; anything that imbalances the game in favor of one player over another is strictly disallowed. With that said, we are aware that some utilities help players without impacting others, that is, they do not give anyone an advantage over someone else.

Our development team is not able to review third-party programs to assess their components or give them any sort of approval. We make our policies clear in our User Agreement, Rules of Conduct, and the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes document, which you can find in the Legal Documentation section of our website: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/ You should know the following:

1. If you chose to use any third-party program, you do so at your own risk.
    2. We cannot offer support if the third-party program impacts Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 and, for instance, makes the game unplayable.
    3. If you choose to use what you believe to be a “benign,” or non-advantage-giving program, be sure to get it from a legitimate source to protect yourself from the possible addition of cheats or key-loggers.

The best way for a player to assess whether a specific third-party program could have any impact on another player or a PvP opponent is to ask:

• “Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?”
    • “Does this program allow someone to ‘play’ when he/she is not at the computer?”
    • “Does this program allow the user to gain undeserved rewards?”

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes”—or even “maybe”—then we strongly recommend that you do not use the program because to do so may place your Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 account in jeopardy.

In the future, we will be working directly with the community to develop app support for Guild Wars 2, so stay tuned for more info!

Gaile Gray
    Forum Communications Team Lead
    ArenaNet

I even sent in a support ticket with the question and the sent that quote back.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited October 2015

GW2 fanboi Propaganda and you know it. I found nothing wrong in particular with GW2 combat, but to call it "deeper" than Wow is absurd. it's about the same only with less skills/cds to worry about and more movement.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    JDis25 said:

GW2 fanboi Propaganda and you know it. I found nothing wrong in particular with GW2 combat, but to call it "deeper" than Wow is absurd. it's about the same only with less skills/cds to worry about and more movement.

You should probably watch the video before calling him a fanboy.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I felt GW2 combat lacked a feeling of weight and impact behind weapon swings and movement.  Other than that I didn't have a problem with it, but the build customization didn't appeal to me and those two things were enough for me to move on.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    JDis25 said:

Yah, GW2 needs more skill, movement nad strategy. Other than that they are basically same thing.
    Malabooga said:
    JDis25 said:

Yah, GW2 needs more skill, movement nad strategy. Other than that they are basically same thing.
    Enter pvp and play a few matches.  PVP mode in GW2 everyone has equal gear so only skill is involved in the match.  Now that you have been mercilessly slaughtered by another player.  You will realize there is a lot of skill involved in this game which is why you keep dying and never kill anyone.  Funny that people who are actually good at this game never claim it needs more skill and strategy.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I think the two most engaging combat mmo's I've played are Wildstar and Tera. The rest all feel lacking. A mmo is not all about the combat, but keeping a player having fun while engaged in it does definitely go a long way.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

JDis25 said:

You can disregard the text (which is not mine). The video does the talk.
    What is better or even important will be personal taste.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Kaneth said:
    Sorry, but GW2 combat is awful.  It's one thing to trim the fat on skills, it's an entirely other thing to stop getting anything new at level 20ish. 
    Comments like these only show that you have clearly never played the game.

Or I don't count the bullshit pseudo-skills you get after level 20. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2015
    filmoret said:
    Vannor said:
    Ah I remember this subject last year someone said it wasn't legal software.  Since I don't play the game I will try it and see what happens.  I will give an update later to see if anet warns me about it.

I've used it for years and nothing is ever done about it. Thousands of people use it. They don't care about this control mod.. it does nothing more than toggle right mouse button, centre the mouse pointer when toggled and swap some key bindings onto your mouse if you want to (which most modern mice can do on their own anyway).

Plus, they'd warn you with a 24 hour suspend if they have a problem with it so there's no risk of losing your account if you stop using it 'if' that happened.. which it won't.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nicco77 said:
    josko9 said:
    Nicco77 said:
    GW2,ESO,TSW have the worst combat system in the recent mmorpg history,they are clunky,shallow and repetitive.
    I don't know about TSW but GW2, ESO and Tera are in the top 3 of the best MMO combat systems ever. That is until a new MMO generation comes with a better combat system.

ESO is the reason why I just can't bring myself to play the badly outdated tab-targetting combat system. Don't get me wrong, tab-targetting (automatic dice-roll block,dodge luck system) was great 5+ years ago, but in 2015 it has no place in this genre anymore, not when the Action Combat is superior in every possible way.

30+ Skills on your bars when half of them or even more are duplicates with a different name is just not a good game design (WoW). Absurd CDs when CDs shouldn't even be in this genre anymore is even a worse game design (FFXIV). 
    Seriously there is not a single thing that Tab-targetting does better over the Action Combat. Action Combat is more fun, it depends more on skill (not luck), it's more fluid, more dynamic and it also feels a lot more realistic. You actually feel like hitting something, and while doing that you also dodge-roll around and block or interrupt the attacks.
    In ESO if you step away from the mob/player when the attack is started you'll get hit no matter how far you go,often with a ridiculous animation like the Scorpion harpoon in Mortal Kombat.
    ESO is a TAB targeting game just modified to fit better on consoles,GW2 has no free look and crossair but if you step away from an attack you can evade it if you get out of reach of the swing of the weapon,for this reason GW2 it's even better at this because when you swing a weapon you actually hit every enemy that stands in the range,in ESO you only hit the one targeted while the weapon simply go trought the other without arming them and this is the "badly outdated tab-targeting" my friend,also "automatic dice-roll block,dodge luck system" are there to decide how and when you do damage in ESO.
    The 3 boded things are not remotely true man. I haven't hit tab for nearly a year now. All tab is in ESO is a highlight. If someone move in front you hit the front target. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Personally I feel that ESO's control scheme is so good that I would play any game in any genre with it. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures