Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recently returned to SWTOR - light/dark side question

Started playing SWTOR again because my son wanted a Star Wars game to play together. He chose the dark side, but so far whenever presented with rep questions, he chooses the light side answers. I'm trying to figure out if we should stay this course or encourage him to reroll and play on the light side. 

Is racking up light points instead of dark points to going to cause us to hit a wall as dark side characters?
What difference does it make in gameplay?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 16,603
    edited September 2015
    Loktofeit said:
    Started playing SWTOR again because my son wanted a Star Wars game to play together. He chose the dark side, but so far whenever presented with rep questions, he chooses the light side answers. I'm trying to figure out if we should stay this course or encourage him to reroll and play on the light side. 

Is racking up light points instead of dark points to going to cause us to hit a wall as dark side characters?
    What difference does it make in gameplay?

It's purely optional. I routinely played a Light side Sith Sorcerer and the game accommodates that just fine.

And I definitely did not like playing a Light side Jedi - too Lawful good for my taste. I've always gravitated toward neutral or chaotic good.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,851
    Dark side typically has better stories anyway....I say play it through.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Light/dark choices affect only RP/flavor side of the game.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Dunno if that has changed, but it used to be that some mounts and even a few pieces of gear were only available for light side/dark side characters. Unfortunately(?) that restriction was removed for end game gear levels, where it mattered, i.e. anything non-cosmetic.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,604
    The relics you can use and some misc. gear in the game requires LS/DS of a certain level.  But other than that, it's purely RP flavor, as others have mentioned.

IMO, it's a flawed system.  You're compelled by game mechanics to be the goodiest of good guys or the baddiest of bad in order to be able to use the most powerful relics ASAP; while if you make choices that put you in the middle, you'll be using lvl 30 relics once you hit lvl 60. 

I wouldn't say that this flaw is fatal to the game; relic stats aren't as potent as other gear stats, and opportunities to get more points continue after 60.  But IMHO, having a reward system which encourages/discourages certain dialogue choices does a disservice to that system.  You're compelled to stop choosing what you think your character would say, and instead you choose what gives you LS/DS points, or crew affection points, or whatever.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2015
    Robsolf said:
    The relics you can use and some misc. gear in the game requires LS/DS of a certain level.  But other than that, it's purely RP flavor, as others have mentioned.

IMO, it's a flawed system.  You're compelled by game mechanics to be the goodiest of good guys or the baddiest of bad in order to be able to use the most powerful relics ASAP; while if you make choices that put you in the middle, you'll be using lvl 30 relics once you hit lvl 60. 

I wouldn't say that this flaw is fatal to the game; relic stats aren't as potent as other gear stats, and opportunities to get more points continue after 60.  But IMHO, having a reward system which encourages/discourages certain dialogue choices does a disservice to that system.  You're compelled to stop choosing what you think your character would say, and instead you choose what gives you LS/DS points, or crew affection points, or whatever.
    Nah, best relic for lvl 50 came from datacrons (matrix shards). And that relic scales as you get more matrix shards (3 "levels"). And other BIS relics were from PvP, which made PvEers ecstatic as they didnt get EVERY BiS ingame ;) At lvl 60 (lvl 56 for blue, 58 for purple) crafted ones are super cheap.

And those LS/DS relics are "clickies" and add very little really. But despite that it made people go on rampage.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Robsolf said:

I explained this in several other places already, but... the alignment restrictions on items are only for the original 1-50 content. The concept was discarded even before the first expansion because the devs realized it was flawed. So, no. You will never be stuck at level 60 using a level 30 relic, since the 55+ relics (not to mention the Rakghoul event relics which start at level 25) are all completely neutral.

Hopefully the overhaul of the lowbie content in October will finally get rid of that junk, so people stop getting the wrong idea. (And stop spreading it, although I guess everyone who never played past the original 1-50 will keep on doing that)

It's one of those things where the devs have been incredibly lazy in changing something they should've done the moment they went "Oh, we're no longer doing the alignment requirement since it made people feel like they should always click the LS/DS every chance they get instead of doing what they feel is right!"

Then again, in their defense... WoW still has a LOT of useless junk in their low level loot tables as well, with stats that are no longer relevant.

@OP, your son's in the clear. Just let him do what he has fun with!  =)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Thanks for all the info! We're up to about level 8 or so and are looking forward to eventually getting vehicles and spaceships. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Whether you play as light or dark sided doesn't matter, you can do either regardless of whether you choose Sith or Republic.. neither one is inherently light or dark sided tbh.