Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PANTHEON: Everything you need to know (Features and FAQs)

2»

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited September 2015
    I'm hoping the game will greatly encourage pick up groups.  It was one of the best features that I enjoyed from EQ1 and Vanguard, pre-raid of course.  Guilds and friends are nice, but too limiting when it comes to scheduling my play time.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Ok I have a question that I didn't see covered - Projected release window?  Which quarter of which year is fine.  If not known I'll assume 2018 or later (which is fine - I'll check in periodically).
  • TarmenelTarmenel Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Scott23 said:
    Ok I have a question that I didn't see covered - Projected release window?  Which quarter of which year is fine.  If not known I'll assume 2018 or later (which is fine - I'll check in periodically).
    From the FAQ:
    What are the approximate timeframes for Alpha, Beta, and commercial release?

There are many variables involved and developing a massively multiplayer game is not an easy thing to do. Our goal is to be in alpha by the end of 2015, in beta during 2016, and to release the game in 2017. But this is not set in stone, and the above dates are subject to change.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Problem I have is this seems like the same stuff we all heard when he was making Vanguard. We all know what happened to that game. Just hard to trust anything that is said with McQuaid behind the words.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vanguard was  great game - it definitely didnt failed because lack of quality.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Brenics said:
    Problem I have is this seems like the same stuff we all heard when he was making Vanguard. We all know what happened to that game. Just hard to trust anything that is said with McQuaid behind the words.
    And no one is asking for your trust, move on.

Vanguard was a great mmo even with it's issues, i played from beta to the day of shut down.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    I am looking forward to this game coming out in the future. It has that old EQ/XI feel but with new ideas.
    Same, me and most of my friends who played XI for years in highschool never found a game that got that same great feeling we got from the depth and very social aspect of FFXI. This is the first game in a long time that we saw a list of features and where just excited about, as weird as some of them might sound like:

heavy group aspect
    heavy social aspect 
    not handholding when it comes to things like quest/exploring/death
    Not just another themepark where you grind item levels (god i HATE the idea of item levels and linear gear climbs/every patch your gear is outdated)
    Open world events (everything now is instanced to death)
    Big PvE focus
    ..ect

Of course it wont be ready until 2017...which feels like such a long time.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    HHmmmm Vanguard, I miss my Goblin Necro and his one liners, miss Vanguard to, but mostly its about my Gobbie charactor

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    When will I be able to play Pantheon does anyone know?
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited October 2015
    Rasiem said:
    When will I be able to play Pantheon does anyone know?
    When it's done. Couldn't help... 8) I think they have a goal releasing the game 2017, but you can join alpha if you pledge some money to them (as I have done). I think they said somewhere they plan to start it around 1st quarter next year.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Oh Ill be in alpha I just wanted to know when it started.

kruler said:
    HHmmmm Vanguard, I miss my Goblin Necro and his one liners, miss Vanguard to, but mostly its about my Gobbie charactor
    "One liners" ? Would that be stuff you would say ?

FYI, theres a thread in the Vanguard subforum about that: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/427837/what-characters-do-you-miss-playing-the-most/p1

• NiienNiien Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Brenics said:
    I would have to agree with the above. If someone is so concerned that one person is going to doom the game and can't give someone a second chance, well then they probably will never be convinced.

I would also think they are wasting their time here as both EQ and Vanguard were great games even with the bugs. Worst case someone wasted $60 bucks years ago... I can't speak for everyone, however I know I have wasted a hell of a lot more from huge companies that put out crap theme park games year after year.

I fully believe that the more positive we can be about it, the more money they can raise, and the better chance we have at the game being another great game. I will gladly take another bug ridden old school game any day over the new solofest games of late. I watch game play videos and see one char take on 3-15 mobs at once and I just click the video off. I'm done with that type of game play personally.
    Um, some classes (Dread Knight, Ranger, Sorcerer) could take on multiple mobs in Vanguard, too.
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Um, some classes (Dread Knight, Ranger, Sorcerer) could take on multiple mobs in Vanguard, too.
    Emergent solo play and being designed for solo are different though. For instance, in EQ some classes could kite multiple mobs, but this design was never what they intended. Solo play was not the concern of the development, rather it was an emergent form of play that came about due to clever applications of players.

Contrast that design with games today where "solo" capability is designed as a goal from the start. Pantheon will not cater to solo play in that sense. Some classes will surely be able to solo, but no class will be designed for such, and some classes will be very poor at it.
    Tarmenel said:
    Scott23 said:
    From the FAQ:
    What are the approximate timeframes for Alpha, Beta, and commercial release?

There are many variables involved and developing a massively multiplayer game is not an easy thing to do. Our goal is to be in alpha by the end of 2015, in beta during 2016, and to release the game in 2017. But this is not set in stone, and the above dates are subject to change.

Oops, my bad... I didn't see the link to the official FAQ in the original post.  Thanks for the reply.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Niien said:
    Brenics said:
    I would have to agree with the above. If someone is so concerned that one person is going to doom the game and can't give someone a second chance, well then they probably will never be convinced.

I would also think they are wasting their time here as both EQ and Vanguard were great games even with the bugs. Worst case someone wasted $60 bucks years ago... I can't speak for everyone, however I know I have wasted a hell of a lot more from huge companies that put out crap theme park games year after year.

I fully believe that the more positive we can be about it, the more money they can raise, and the better chance we have at the game being another great game. I will gladly take another bug ridden old school game any day over the new solofest games of late. I watch game play videos and see one char take on 3-15 mobs at once and I just click the video off. I'm done with that type of game play personally.
    Even more than that...  In a time when gaming has gone completely mainstream and money has become the ultimate goal of game studios, you'd think people could at least support indie games vocally if not financially.

Its up to us to show our approval for games which offer something different if we really want to see better games emerge. Prophesying doom and gloom on a game because you don't like the past decisions of one of its developers is the epitome of shooting oneself in the foot.

Sinist said:
    Emergent solo play and being designed for solo are different though. For instance, in EQ some classes could kite multiple mobs, but this design was never what they intended. Solo play was not the concern of the development, rather it was an emergent form of play that came about due to clever applications of players.

Contrast that design with games today where "solo" capability is designed as a goal from the start. Pantheon will not cater to solo play in that sense. Some classes will surely be able to solo, but no class will be designed for such, and some classes will be very poor at it.

Good point.  I don't think any of the classes in the original release of EQ1 were designed to solo.  It was the ingenuity of the players that led to kiting and other ways to take advantages of the AI.

What I liked (that will never return) was the lack of information and guides.  Back in the stone age you had to figure things out yourself.  Nowadays games release with class guides, min/max information, and YouTube videos.  I know that no one forces people to read/watch them, but it does negatively affect my experience at times - Now you kids get off my lawn! ;)

Scott23 said:
      Sinist said:

What I liked (that will never return) was the lack of information and guides.  Back in the stone age you had to figure things out yourself.  Nowadays games release with class guides, min/max information, and YouTube videos.  I know that no one forces people to read/watch them, but it does negatively affect my experience at times - Now you kids get off my lawn! ;)

You still can. You don't have to ruin your game because a bunch of lazy kids can't be bothered with the time it takes to figure it out themselves. Let them ruin their own game and sit around whining and complaining like idiots, you don't have to do the same. When "The Secret World" came out, I played the game without ruining for myself. I didn't go to hint sites and look up all the info, I played at my own pace and figured things out myself. That part of the game was quite enjoyable because of it. I saw a lot of kids ruining their game, then sitting around complaining in chat about how boring the game was. I mean... what could you say but... "duh!".

It was the same in my youth when I worked at a software store. The same type of kids would come in complaining about how a game was easy or what not. After a bit of questions, I found out it is because they were using cheat programs and the like to get ahead in the game. Again, another "duh!" moment.

The important thing is that that devs recognize those types and dismiss their comments as trying to develop a game for a bunch of lazy cheaters will always end in failure.
    Sinist said:
    Scott23 said:
      Sinist said:

You still can. You don't have to ruin your game because a bunch of lazy kids can't be bothered with the time it takes to figure it out themselves. Let them ruin their own game and sit around whining and complaining like idiots, you don't have to do the same. When "The Secret World" came out, I played the game without ruining for myself. I didn't go to hint sites and look up all the info, I played at my own pace and figured things out myself. That part of the game was quite enjoyable because of it. I saw a lot of kids ruining their game, then sitting around complaining in chat about how boring the game was. I mean... what could you say but... "duh!".

It was the same in my youth when I worked at a software store. The same type of kids would come in complaining about how a game was easy or what not. After a bit of questions, I found out it is because they were using cheat programs and the like to get ahead in the game. Again, another "duh!" moment.

The important thing is that that devs recognize those types and dismiss their comments as trying to develop a game for a bunch of lazy cheaters will always end in failure.

I know you still can and that is generally the way I play.  Now that I think about it - I am probably not as tolerant as I once was when it comes to the perceived competence of my fellow players. :)

Don't you know that the developers never pay attention to the right people?  They never pay attention to me :)
    Scott23 said:
    Sinist said:
    Scott23 said:
      Sinist said:

I know you still can and that is generally the way I play.  Now that I think about it - I am probably not as tolerant as I once was when it comes to the perceived competence of my fellow players. :)

Don't you know that the developers never pay attention to the right people?  They never pay attention to me :)
    It is hard not to be bitter with them. When you have gone from MMO to MMO and each time those people demand the same thing that ends up being the very reason they complain about the game being boring, you can only look dumbfounded at them.

As for the developers, that one isn't always on them. Just like the rest of the game market, major entertainment companies have bought out the industry and they don't make "games", they make "entertainment" and that often results in cheap thrill gimmicks in game play that are instant gratification focused. The developers are often overruled by business people who often don't even like games or have no lasting interest in them. They push for content creation that is designed with spreadsheets (ie maximizing the target market, incentivizing  fad purchase, using psychological tools to produce a given behavior to drive revenue, etc...). They aren't game makers, just businessmen.