Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ:N -- What do we really know about how much work is pending?

MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
With the recent code separation between Landmark and EQ:N creating an internal EQ:N server, there hasn't been a wealth of information on the game status of EQ:N.  So, I thought an interesting discussion point to speculate on what work is still left to do on the game.  I hope this will help those anticipating this game to develop some way to predict an actual completion date for the project.

We acknowledge that no one posting here is really in the know, and are probably protected by NDAs.  But there are artifacts of the project that are common knowledge -- the (sometimes) vague promises made by SOE/Daybreak since 2013 and the current state of the Landmark project.

I will start with adding a few generalities.
  • Art work: Player races.  There only a few functional character models in Landmark.   When are the other traditional Everquest races, such as Barbarians, Ogres, Gnomes and Trolls  going to be done?  I've never built character models (and animations) before, so I've no real idea on how long this stage might take.  Also, what specific playable character models exist in Landmark?
  • Art work: Major cities.  We've seen the contest to develop Qeynos and some of Halas, but what about other cities?  Kelethin, Felwithe, Grobb, Ogguk, Freeport, Rivervale, Erudin, Ak'Anon, Kaladim and Neriak?  There appears to be little existing artwork for the other major locations in Norrath.  The Landmark community were given about a month to create elements for Qeynos, so with that same pace, Daybreak may need another month to get the building elements down (community work) and maybe another month to judge, evaluate and place the various elements to create each area.  That is 10 major cities (from EQ1), that might take 20 months to develop based on recent performance.
  • Systems: Crafting.  We have seen the ability to create voxels in Landmark, but is that the limit for crafting?  How will crafting for armor and weapons and other items happen?
  • Systems: Combat.  The first Landmark attempt at combat was mostly unsatisfactory according to most who experienced it.  There is desperate need for a new, fluid combat system.  The mechanisms may require additional animation work on all in-game models.  From the little I did see with the Landmark combat system, they may be 12-18 months away from functional combat mechanics.
  • Systems: AI.  Much was promised for the game's AI.  We know that Daybreak and Story Bricks jointly worked on EQ:N, and that relationship was dissolved.  No one knows exactly what that means.  Did they inherit only some SDK-level interfaces and preliminary hooks into the game-engine (work done with Daybreak code), or did they receive the decision engine (the proprietary SB bits) that would have driven all that?  Polishing and adding behaviors should be relatively straight-forward, but building (or reverse-engineering) a  decision engine from scratch would be a much more significant task, even if Daybreak personnel had a clear look at the Story Brick code.  I think this might take anywhere from 18 to 36 (or even more) months to develop this step.
Please add any major elements to that list that I may have missed.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

just be patient or let it die. 

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    The problem with announcing a game while developing the game engine at the same time is that you are years away from release. You can not begin to do any real development work until the engine is no longer in a state of consistant change. Only then can you really see what you have to work with and move on from there.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Welcome to the new vaporware thread. Love the idea of the thread but this will just fall apart because you cant have nice things, people just like to break them. 
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Nanfoodle said:
    Welcome to the new vaporware thread. Love the idea of the thread but this will just fall apart because you cant have nice things, people just like to break them. 
    You just contributed to the falling apart process yourself. And now I did as well. It's a domino effect.
    :awesome: 
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    From my extensive calculations I predict:

EQN is Vaporware and will never release.

EQN will release Nov 13th 2017.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Allein said:

Odd, my calculations resulted in:

EQN never existed, it was just a necessary but fictitious part of the Landmark cash grab. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Allein said:

EQN never existed, it was just a necessary but fictitious part of the Landmark cash grab. 
    My calculations maintain that EQN was 2013 E3 Best of Show! Two years later and we are all crapping our pants over how awesome EQN is!

Or perhaps EQN really was a success? Maybe it was too successful and they did too good of a job on the emergent AI and accidentally created Skynet, and Daybreak has been usurped by a sentient EQN program that has consumed the human development team for energy.
    Rusque said:
    Allein said:

My calculations maintain that EQN was 2013 E3 Best of Show! Two years later and we are all crapping our pants over how awesome EQN is!

Or perhaps EQN really was a success? Maybe it was too successful and they did too good of a job on the emergent AI and accidentally created Skynet, and Daybreak has been usurped by a sentient EQN program that has consumed the human development team for energy.
    LOL 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Until DBG starts releasing mobile games there is every reason to be hopeful about EQN.  If DBG didn't acquire SOE to start churning out mobile games then they had a plan for EQN.

Either they're going to release a really really cheap version of EQN to try and capitalize on brand loyalty or someone at CN has some vision for EQN, which could be very very interesting. 

But if there plan was to release EQN for as little money as possible and try and get people to sucker in on nostalgia for oldschool EQ they should be hyping the hell out of it not being quiet.  This too is a good sign. 
    reeereee said:
    Until DBG starts releasing mobile games there is every reason to be hopeful about EQN.  If DBG didn't acquire SOE to start churning out mobile games then they had a plan for EQN.

Either they're going to release a really really cheap version of EQN to try and capitalize on brand loyalty or someone at CN has some vision for EQN, which could be very very interesting. 

But if there plan was to release EQN for as little money as possible and try and get people to sucker in on nostalgia for oldschool EQ they should be hyping the hell out of it not being quiet.  This too is a good sign. 
    I get your hating on DGC and EQN but I think they sitting on a gold mine owning EQ Adventure. Little work and it would make a great mobile game. 
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I understand you want to discuss the game and I too was looking forward to EQN but I really think it's dead.  None of this really indicates anything if you look at MMO game development historically.  World of Darkness had a pretty playable Alpha when it was cancelled.  EQN isn't close to that.

AAA MMO titles start to die the minute they start to lose momentum and it is really hard to get them moving forward again.  I agree with some of the posters here.  There may have been some other reasons the IP was purchased. 

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    I find it amazing that some gamers are still talking about EQN.  It's sort of like the girl who keeps ignoring a guy but the guy never gives up continuing to believe he will eventually get the girl.  The best advice for this type of scenario is to let it go.  Don't push it or force it, it will happen naturally if it is meant to be.  This game will do the same.  
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

My calculations show that Landmark was a pretty poor attempt at a cash grab, especially offering full refunds. Where did they learn to rip people off?

Going to assume they are way into the red at this point (millions) and the number of folks that didn't receive a refund and or have actually put further money in are very insignificant in comparison.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I guess no one really wants to play Armchair Project Manager.  Moving along, then.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Allein said:

My calculations show that Landmark was a pretty poor attempt at a cash grab, especially offering full refunds. Where did they learn to rip people off?

Going to assume they are way into the red at this point (millions) and the number of folks that didn't receive a refund and or have actually put further money in are very insignificant in comparison.
    Was a joke.  I do not believe Landmark was a cash grab. 
  • BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wow I'm very late to this party...
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    edited September 2015
    well creating assets for a game is what takes the most time and the most money - and thats where theyre at....so i think we will wait for quite some more time... blade and soul, black desert, bless - i think these will all release before we will see eqn (even an alpha)

since this process takes so much time, its absolutly possible that eqn is dead or rather gets developped into a totally different direction (ftp cash grab) OR its also possible that they simply revealed way too fast...

I mean if they basically restarted from scratch in 2012, its absolutly plausible that we wont see an alpha/beta before somewhen 2017
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    It can be assumed from their timeline that the original project was trashed, and it was restarted as EQN (how we see it now all cartoon like to copy wow).  That or their staff is S L O W.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I'm not sure if this is a healthy exercise, no pun intended.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    goboygo said:
    I'm not sure if this is a healthy exercise, no pun intended.
    It didn't start out that way, Goboygo.  I just wanted to speculate on what Daybreak needs to do to get from Point A (Landmark) to Point B (some version of EQ:N, either defined as the hints and promises made by SOE in the 2013-2015 timeframe, or some kind of wish fulfillment).  I really didn't care about irrational claims and statements for the final product, just how the posters thought that Daybreak might apply these features to transform Landmark into a finished product called EQ:N.  This community has a lot of varied experience with major projects of various nature, and has shown a tendency to debate the business of making a large gaming project.  But it was easier to drag the vitriol from other threads into this one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would say just look at H1Z1 and see how very little they have done.I bet H1Z1 made more money in two months than what both EQ games make in a year.So if they are not willing or don't have the manpower to do much with H1Z1 ,how much could they possibly do with EQN?If we count the pre development and the 7 months after on H1Z1 and the ystill have only 1 map,it really sheds light on how little this team can produce.

IMO this game with their inept staff would take 3-5 more years to release a legitimate product.They did manage to get gamer's to make a lot of their assets "nice scam"but that is not even close to enough to make a triple A game.

IMO they will look at factual numbers based on EQ and EQ2 and decide how much time will be put into development.I would expect an early access release based on selling early access packages.Matter of fact i would 100% bet on it,no way in hell is this released as a polished product.

The game might need 3-5 years,but no way is that happening,i would not put it past them to attempt a release as early as Christmas time.You can bet your ass this is getting a full on rush job.

My guess?Most definitely early access release next year.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Guys, SOE sold in an effort to get out from under the EQN fiasco.  Its done.  Kaput.  Put a fork in it.  Not going to happen.  
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    It ain't happening, at least not soon enough to start to care yet.

• KnightdaneKnightdane Member UncommonPosts: 9
    jonp200 said:
    I understand you want to discuss the game and I too was looking forward to EQN but I really think it's dead.  None of this really indicates anything if you look at MMO game development historically.  World of Darkness had a pretty playable Alpha when it was cancelled.  EQN isn't close to that.

AAA MMO titles start to die the minute they start to lose momentum and it is really hard to get them moving forward again.  I agree with some of the posters here.  There may have been some other reasons the IP was purchased. 

actually World of Darkness alpha was pretty darn bad considering how long they had been working on it. And the gameplay sucked big time, and it was not even close to what they wanted.

CCP realized that, and cancelled the game on a well founded decision.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    reeereee said:

If...and its a HUGE IF.....EQN gets released, it'll be a shell f the potential it could of been.  The game as announced back in 2013 (or what ever year it was first announced) at SOE fanfaire was what sold me on the potential.  Imagine open ended Classes, smart AI, 3-4 month long Public Quests, multi-layer destructible world.  Yea the game as first announced was going to be amazing and would be my holy grail to find a replacement for Asheron's Call.

Sadly that'll never happen which is why too me, MMO's are dead.  I now exclusively play CCG's and ARPG's.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!